PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News! NCAA gives P5 more power

bluedog
August 7th, 2014, 12:55 PM
INDIANAPOLIS | The NCAA Board of Directors overwhelmingly approved a package of historic reforms Thursday that will give the nation's five biggest conferences the ability to unilaterally change some of the basic rules governing college sports.

If the 16-2 decision stands, there will be striking differences between the 65 largest schools and the more than 280 others in Division I beginning as early as Oct. 1, though few expect change to come that quickly.

"I am immensely proud of the work done by the membership," NCAA President Mark Emmert said. "The new governance model represents a compromise on all sides that will better serve our members and, most importantly, our student-athletes. These changes will help all our schools better support the young people who come to college to play sports while earning a degree."

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20140807/NEWS/140809749/1015?Title=NCAA-board-hands-5-biggest-conferences-more-power

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

darell1976
August 7th, 2014, 01:18 PM
INDIANAPOLIS | The NCAA Board of Directors overwhelmingly approved a package of historic reforms Thursday that will give the nation's five biggest conferences the ability to unilaterally change some of the basic rules governing college sports.

If the 16-2 decision stands, there will be striking differences between the 65 largest schools and the more than 280 others in Division I beginning as early as Oct. 1, though few expect change to come that quickly.

"I am immensely proud of the work done by the membership," NCAA President Mark Emmert said. "The new governance model represents a compromise on all sides that will better serve our members and, most importantly, our student-athletes. These changes will help all our schools better support the young people who come to college to play sports while earning a degree."

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20140807/NEWS/140809749/1015?Title=NCAA-board-hands-5-biggest-conferences-more-power

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

All the schools?? How? How is what is going on at Minnesota or Michigan going to help Ball State or even FCS schools?

Smitty
August 7th, 2014, 01:21 PM
The five other Football Bowl Subdivision leagues would account for 18.5 percent while the second-tier Football Championship Subdivision and non-football playing schools would split up another 37.5 percent of the vote. Athletes and faculty will account for the rest.

If 75 schools sign the override measure, the board must take a second look at the plan. If 125 schools join the movement, the changes would be suspended until the board schedules a vote to reconsider.

But if the schools try to veto it, I'm sure the 5 conferences would split before too long.

superman7515
August 7th, 2014, 01:25 PM
I posted in the original thread that it looks like the Big 5 are going to try to override it themselves.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?153973-New-NCAA-D1-Subdivision-By-August/page19

Lehigh Football Nation
August 7th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Who are the 2? Is it posted anywhere?

superman7515
August 9th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Who are the 2? Is it posted anywhere?

The two no votes were Patrick Harker from the CAA and Philip Hanlon from the Ivy.