PDA

View Full Version : SFA Adding big time FBS transfer

smallcollegefbfan
August 7th, 2014, 10:30 AM
It looks like 2012 Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year, Devonte Fields, is transferring from TCU to SFA. He tweeted it recently. I'm hearing there are some hurdles to clear but he is planning on playing there this year. He is coming off an injury and has had some off field issues. Hopefully he gets it together and plays at least two years at SFA. This is a big get and while he might not impact early due to learning the new system and his fresh start, I think it is only a matter of time before he dominates in the FCS. Fields is a very talented player who is likely the best end in FCS as long as he is healthy.

Panther88
August 7th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Those off the field problems though... pretty sad and very (mentally) immature. *smh*

WestCoastAggie
August 7th, 2014, 01:58 PM
The kid needs a mentor off the field. He needs to make better decisions and check his anger.

Panther88
August 7th, 2014, 03:40 PM
A product of his environment and he brought that environment w/ him to school. xsmhx Physically gifted but mentally slow as hell, imho. I never had the opportunity to personally meet him but I certainly encountered a few here and there who grew up w/ him and their words... xsmhx What a supreme opportunity that he's pissing away. I can only hope that his long voyage to Nacogdoches is enough physical distance between him and his "boys" from his hood.

Sammy94
August 7th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Former Texas QB/RB Jalen Overstreet is headed to SHSU, could be a great fit.

smallcollegefbfan
August 7th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Former Texas QB/RB Jalen Overstreet is headed to SHSU, could be a great fit.

Very good athlete. 4-star recruit out of HS who had offers to play in All-America games but turned them down. He has some flags as well but is very talented. Not as good as Fields but is talented.

SFA 93
August 7th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Fields officially a Lumberjack and on campus

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/08/07/6028065/tcu-ex-fields-joins-new-teammates.html

NoCoDanny
August 7th, 2014, 07:34 PM
So what did he do that got him in trouble?

Catatonic
August 7th, 2014, 07:40 PM
So what did he do that got him in trouble?

Beat up his girl friend.

SFA 93
August 7th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Just got another one!

DB: Tarrin Mitchell 5-11; 175 Dallas, Texas (Roosevelt) (Fr.) *** #91 CB (ESPN)

Had originally committed to Houston but had a change of heart.

FormerPokeCenter
August 7th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I'm not too worried about the TCU Transfer....We don't have any girls playing OT ;)

bjtheflamesfan
August 7th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Anyhow, as is my way with FBS transfers, I would like to see how he (Fields) does once he suits up for SFA. he sounds like a good one if he was named preseason player of the year, but he won't have a ton of time to adjust to the new school and defensive scheme

As for Overstreet, same thing. He could be a star or he could be a bust. just because he came from Austin, and had 4 stars out of high school, really means nothing to me. once he suits up and hits the Kats practice field, then we can evaluate him, but I'm not crowning him an all american or can't miss draft prospect or anything yet. Now, if he does big things in Huntsville, then I will probably change my tune, but until then, as is my view on fbs transfers, I'm taking a wait and see attitude and the fans for both SFA and SHSU ought to do the same

SFA 93
August 8th, 2014, 07:14 AM
I don't know, many of the FBS transfers that have come to SFA, that didn't do much were the ones who had redshirted or didn't play a snap at the FBS school they attended.

But the ones who actually did play on the FBS level have done very well for SFA.

Just because they transferred from a FBS school doesn't mean that they played in a FBS game. Many of these FBS transfers don't crack the two-deep depth charts at their former school so they go else where to find playing time.

SFA has had many FBS transfers, but only a few that have actually played on the FBS level, meaning actually played a game.

The recent transfers that SFA has had, that have actually played on the FBS level were

DB: Ben Wells 6-1; 200 **** (Rivals) #7 CB (TEXAS/SFA)

AT SFA
2X All-Conference

TKL:35;TFL:1.0;PD:10;FF:1;FR:1;INT:1
Stats not amazing but that's because no one threw the ball to his side of the field.

DE: Willie Jefferson 6-6; 240 ** (Rivals) (BAYLOR/SFA)

AT SFA
2X All-Conference; All-American (CSN Fabulous 50)
Conference Newcomer of the Year
Led the SLC in sacks

TKL:63;SCK:21.0;TFL:24.5;FF:5;FR:1;PD:7;INT:2

RB: Derek Farmer 5-11; 202 (TEXAS A&M/SFA)

ATT:367;YDS:1,571;TD:13;REC:23;YDS:166;TD:2

CURRENT PLAYERS TO HAVE PLAYED AT THE FBS LEVEL

LB: Colin Garrett 6-2; 220 *** (Rivals) (KANSAS/SFA) (Sr.)

All-Conference
TKL:184;SCK:0.5;TFL:14.0;FF:1;PD:4;INT:3

DT: Shayvion Hatten 6-4; 292 *** (Rivals) (TEXAS A&M/SFA) (Jr.)
TKL:46;TFL:5.5;PD:3 (1st season at SFA) 2 years left, so we will see

CB: Hipolito Corporan 6-1; 184 *** (Rivals) (UTAH/SFA) (So.)
This is his first season at SFA

DE: Devonte Fields 6-4; 250 **** #12 DE; #22 State; #171 Nation (Rivals) (TCU/SFA) (So./Jr.?)

Now this guy is on another level and a skilled player from the FBS level that SFA has never had before, an actual starter on a FBS team. The only thing that can stop him are his off the field issues or his foot injury.

2012 - Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year; 1st Team Big 12 All-Conference; All-American
2013 - Foot Injury (played only 3 games)
2014 - Big 12 Preseason Defensive Player of the Year

GP:16;TKL:57;TFL:20.5;SCK:10.0;FF:2;FR:1;PD:4;INT: 1

Hard to NOT think this guy is going to dominate on the FCS level, because he sure did on the FBS.
(Of course unless his off the field issues or an injury finish him off.)

Mute the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSfydDKrcqQ

bluehenbillk
August 8th, 2014, 07:58 AM
You have to plug SFA in now as a SLC contender - those are some guys who are above anything talent-wise at the FCS level.

Panther88
August 8th, 2014, 11:31 AM
@SFA 93, don't mute the music because that's part of what he's bringing to your team. Also, he had a little bit of gun play back w/ him brandishing a semi-auto in Jun (?), AND he had MORE gun play @ his residence back in Jan (?) where he alleged 3 men cornered him @ his off-campus house lol and stole an XBOX/cellphone. When police attempted to do a search of his residence, he denied them entrance AND he originally didn't file a police report of being robbed NOR did he go to the hospital for medical treatment after "being hit on the head" by one of the assailants during the alleged robbery, where also, one of the 3 assailants fired shots in the air as he fought w/ all 3 of them. I was in Fort Worth @ the time and when I first encountered this story, I thought just that... it was a story. The kid didn't want the FWPD in his house, because, well, he was hiding something (illegal) and needed time to move it. xlolx

This kid has (present-tense) a hood mentality and that hood mentality is coming to good ol' Nacogdoches. Hide the women, weed lol, XBOXes, cellphones, and alcohol. Literally. I sincerely hope he gets some type of maturity about himself soonest and leaves the childishness in Fort Worth w/ his "boys." xsmhx I hope the country environment of Nacogdoches helps him and I hope the lure of the locals doesn't pursuade him. :(

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not too worried about the TCU Transfer....We don't have any girls playing OT ;)
If one of your OTs smells of weed, I feel sorry for them and their mothers lol. He'll rip them apart. :(

FormerPokeCenter
August 8th, 2014, 11:57 AM
We saw former Aaron Lynch, the highly touted DE who started at Notre Dame as a freshman, before transferring to South Florida last year...

I don't think the guys we have at OT are gonna be intimidated. He'll find out how he stacks up against the SLC this year. One play at a time...

SFA 93
August 8th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Nac CAN be a peaceful retreat for outsiders to get their heads straight, but no matter where you go it will be all about the people you surround yourself with, and the influences that you listen to that help shape your decisions and choices.

But man the parks, trees, and lakes in and around Nac can be calming, really make you think about where you have been and where you are going.

Got to listen to the trees Hoss.

http://paulbellinger.smugmug.com/Daily/Daily-2012/i-kzBzFzk/0/XL/5DII_20121125_8687,%20maple%20rainbow%20SFA%20arbo retum-XL.jpg

McNeese75
August 8th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Nac CAN be a peaceful retreat for outsiders to get their heads straight, but no matter where you go it will be all about the people you surround yourself with, and the influences that you listen to that help shape your decisions and choices.

But man the parks, trees, and lakes in and around Nac can be calming, really make you think about where you have been and where you are going.

Got to listen to the trees Hoss.

http://paulbellinger.smugmug.com/Daily/Daily-2012/i-kzBzFzk/0/XL/5DII_20121125_8687,%20maple%20rainbow%20SFA%20arbo retum-XL.jpg

sounds EPIC to me :D

Panther88
August 8th, 2014, 03:48 PM

It's utopia, SFA93 and you are spot on. Again, I hope he doesn't get reeled in w/ the lure of the 'others' or it will be the same scenario, differing place.

fmrbearkat
August 8th, 2014, 03:48 PM

Pretty common for the hillbilly's around Nac to beat up on the women folk so he likely won't even get in trouble if he finds him a new lady friend.

SFA 93
August 8th, 2014, 03:51 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/sasu/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/10210678.jpeg
DE:#47 Devonte Fields 6-4; 250 Forth Worth, Texas (Arlington Martin/TCU) (Jr.)

- 2014 ESPN Top 100 College Football Players (#41)
- 2014 Big 12 Preseason Defensive Player of the Year
- 2012 Big 12 Freshman Defensive Player of the Year
- 2012 All-American
- 2012 1st Team All-Big 12 Team
- 2011 High School All-American **** (Rivals) #12 DE; #22 State; #171 National
- 2011 Under Armour All-American Game
- 2011 5A 1st Team All-State
- 2011 5A District Defensive Player of the Year
- 2011 5A 1st Team All-District

Lets see if he lives up to the hype and turns his life around or falls to his own vices.

Sammy94
August 8th, 2014, 04:03 PM
One day and a picture already? One can tell its been a long time since SFA has made some news in the football world.

TheRevSFA
August 8th, 2014, 04:09 PM
One day and a picture already? One can tell its been a long time since SFA has made some news in the football world.

I'm starting to think someone is a bit jealous of the SFA offseason so far

SFA 93
August 8th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Yeah, we're really desperate for attention. xrolleyesx

Sammy94
August 8th, 2014, 04:26 PM
I'm starting to think someone is a bit jealous of the SFA offseason so far

I'm just saying McNeese didn't even hype Sams this much. I guess its just not that big a deal for some programs. Overstreet is just one of 20 transfers trying to make the Sam squad so not jealous at all. As for Fields, he is use to wearing purple and playing for middle of pack teams so he should fit in well. Just make sure you lock the doors :D

SFA 93
August 8th, 2014, 04:41 PM
https://lh3.ggpht.com/-92SanQhekd4/Un8P9_N7M8I/AAAAAAAAAVA/fZorwq4aLzY/s1600/SnobbyGuy1.jpg
I guess its just not that big a deal for some programs.xcoffeex

SFA 93
August 8th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Fans hyping, not so much SFA

http://mcneesesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3342&path=football

http://www.sfajacks.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/devonte_fields_915140.html

and Overstreet was a 3rd string RB

TheRevSFA
August 8th, 2014, 05:21 PM
TCU has said they suspended Fields, means he cannot play for a year.

Sammy94
August 8th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Could be true, same happened to Tanner Brock. If that's the case he may never suit up for SFA. At least you have the pic!!!

SFA 93
August 8th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Well, that didn't last long.

Now reported he is not going to transfer.

Guess he sits out a year and then heads for the NFL.

http://www.sfajacks.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080814aaa.html

Sammy94
August 8th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Look at the bright side. SFA football was relevant for a day.

TheRevSFA
August 8th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Look at the bright side. SFA football was relevant for a day.

You've really got the red ass for SFA football lately. I mean it's beyond your norms.

I'm trying to figure out if it's due to your insecurities about your team and how they lost just about everyone son made them a contender.

SFA 93
August 8th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Jalen Overstreet to Kilgore College

McNeese75
August 8th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Wow, that is two quick swing and misses.

TheRevSFA
August 8th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Gary Patterson (coach of TCU) is fighting the school's ruling via an appeal. Probably won't happen though

Catatonic
August 9th, 2014, 08:04 AM

Pretty common for the hillbilly's around Nac to beat up on the women folk so he likely won't even get in trouble if he finds him a new lady friend.

My favorite from Twitter:

If it weren't for beatin women SFA would beat nobody at all.

smallcollegefbfan
August 9th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Jalen Overstreet to Kilgore College

If I were fans of those schools I would not be upset about not getting Overstreet or Fields. Overstreet is talented but a head case. I can't say what it is but there is a reason Willie Jefferson and Devonte Fields chose SFA when they got booted from their schools and I would not be proud of it. I know Jefferson ended up doing well for SFA as a senior and was a two-time All-SLC pick but he still was tough to deal with off the field. I wouldn't want players like this at my school.

They are all talented players but not what you want representing your program. Stick with kids who just want more playing time and good high school players. Don't get a rep for taking trouble makers all the time. Jefferson was good for you guys but still underachieved. He was a top 3-4 round raw talent, and while he was good at SFA, he still didn't play quite up to his potential.

Catatonic
August 9th, 2014, 09:49 AM
If I were fans of those schools I would not be upset about not getting Overstreet or Fields. Overstreet is talented but a head case. I can't say what it is but there is a reason Willie Jefferson and Devonte Fields chose SFA when they got booted from their schools and I would not be proud of it. I know Jefferson ended up doing well for SFA as a senior and was a two-time All-SLC pick but he still was tough to deal with off the field. I wouldn't want players like this at my school.

They are all talented players but not what you want representing your program. Stick with kids who just want more playing time and good high school players. Don't get a rep for taking trouble makers all the time. Jefferson was good for you guys but still underachieved. He was a top 3-4 round raw talent, and while he was good at SFA, he still didn't play quite up to his potential.

It depends on the kid, the circumstances and the coaches assessment of readiness to do better. LSU took a QB who had been booted from Georgia for sexual assault (played grab ass with a bar maid in south GA). After a good year on and off the field at a juco, he was a good pick up for Les Miles. Fields, on the other hand, was arrested in July. Hard to believe he has turned any corners as of yet.

SFA 93
August 9th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Many schools have taken troubled youths, and that includes ACU.

Thanks for sharing your joke.

smallcollegefbfan
August 9th, 2014, 10:08 AM
It depends on the kid, the circumstances and the coaches assessment of readiness to do better. LSU took a QB who had been booted from Georgia for sexual assault (played grab ass with a bar maid in south GA). After a good year on and off the field at a juco, he was a good pick up for Les Miles. Fields, on the other hand, was arrested in July. Hard to believe he has turned any corners as of yet.

Definitely hasn't had time. It's okay to take troubled players but you want to know they have changed and won't be an issue. We don't know that with Fields yet. Now, if he doesn't declare, has no issues, and everything is settled then I might would take him in the summer of 2015.

SFA 93
August 9th, 2014, 10:49 AM
They chose SFA for a reason, and that reason is something you would not be proud of?

So SFA is Citrus State Prison?

Good grief man, what long list of harden criminals are you referring to that have attended SFA in the past?

You guys act as if SFA has some long history of taking troubled football players, but like everything else what's resent news is the norm I guess.

Jefferson gets booted for pot at Baylor and you speculate the reason he came to SFA? Oh go to SFA they are known for taking the evil.

Or maybe he came to SFA because he knew former SFA DC David Gibbs who is from the Beaumont area, who knows and recruits heavily the kids there at Westbrook and Ozen High. Ben Wells from Texas, Colin Garrett from Kansas and Jefferson from Baylor all from southeast Texas. Garrett and Jefferson had checkered past and were troubled, got another chance at SFA and have stayed clean there time on campus, Garrett has one more year. Jefferson is currently playing in the CFL. They made the most of their second chance. Do they still have problems and vices to deal with, sure don't we all?

This holier than thou mentality. Need some more stones for the throw?

Sammy94
August 9th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Overstreet's academics kept him from Sam, his only route was JUCO. Not a big loss since we are already deep at RB as it is.

smallcollegefbfan
August 9th, 2014, 11:04 AM
They chose SFA for a reason, and that reason is something you would not be proud of?

So SFA is Citrus State Prison?

Good grief man, what long list of harden criminals are you referring to that have attended SFA in the past?

You guys act as if SFA has some long history of taking troubled football players, but like everything else what's resent news is the norm I guess.

Jefferson gets booted for pot at Baylor and you speculate the reason he came to SFA? Oh go to SFA they are known for taking the evil.

Or maybe he came to SFA because he knew former SFA DC David Gibbs who is from the Beaumont area, who knows and recruits heavily the kids there at Westbrook and Ozen High. Ben Wells from Texas, Colin Garrett from Kansas and Jefferson from Baylor all from southeast Texas. Garrett and Jefferson had checkered past and were troubled, got another chance at SFA and have stayed clean there time on campus, Garrett has one more year. Jefferson is currently playing in the CFL. They made the most of their second chance. Do they still have problems and vices to deal with, sure don't we all?

This holier than thou mentality. Need some more stones for the throw?

Yes, the coaching connection helped and because of that SFA agreed to either not test him or warn him when tests were coming. They needed and wanted a big time pass rusher. I probably should not have mentioned that and definitely don't approach the coaches about it because they would lie to fans and media who would go on the record with it but I have a very good connection to SFA who confirmed it. I have no issue with taking players who have had issues but I think you have to test them and not just let them slide on the very issues that got them booted from a previous program. UNA did the same thing with Janoris Jenkins. Jenkins chose UNA because they were willing to bypass testing him or warn if a mandatory test was coming.

smallcollegefbfan
August 9th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Overstreet's academics kept him from Sam, his only route was JUCO. Not a big loss since we are already deep at RB as it is.

I heard he isn't big on going to class. Hopefully he turns it around in JUCO. He should definitely be one of the top 10 players in the JC ranks for the 2015 season. He's a talented player.

Sammy94
August 9th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Overstreet was at the Sam scrimmage so it's not official he is going to Kilgore. We will see.

smallcollegefbfan
August 9th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Overstreet was at the Sam scrimmage so it's not official he is going to Kilgore. We will see.

He was always wishy washy. He would commit to all-star games in HS and then back out. It's not like he backed out a state game to go to an All-America game. I know he would just turn in paperwork and then back out without a good reason as to why he would. Heard he was not committed to class and studying like he should as well. JUCO would be good for him to improve his study habits.

If he is committed and 100% focused he will be good but the issue is that there are multiple times in his career where he wasn't and he wasn't as big on his academics as he should be. I wish him well and I only say this stuff to explain why he may not and hasn't yet. The talent is certainly there. He was an athlete in HS who could play WR, QB, RB, S, etc. Very versatile guy who has NFL potential if he wants it and focuses on his studies. If he doesn't, then he will just be a role player who underachieves.

fmrbearkat
August 9th, 2014, 12:49 PM
He was always wishy washy. He would commit to all-star games in HS and then back out. It's not like he backed out a state game to go to an All-America game. I know he would just turn in paperwork and then back out without a good reason as to why he would. Heard he was not committed to class and studying like he should as well. JUCO would be good for him to improve his study habits.

If he is committed and 100% focused he will be good but the issue is that there are multiple times in his career where he wasn't and he wasn't as big on his academics as he should be. I wish him well and I only say this stuff to explain why he may not and hasn't yet. The talent is certainly there. He was an athlete in HS who could play WR, QB, RB, S, etc. Very versatile guy who has NFL potential if he wants it and focuses on his studies. If he doesn't, then he will just be a role player who underachieves.

The thing about transferring down is you lose that sense of entitlement real quick. No where near the amenities or celebrity. Come to work because you love football or get out. SHSU beat writer said today its all but done on Overstreet coming to SHSU.

BEAR
August 9th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Are any of you attending practices and seeing possible transfers there? Besides the ones mentioned already.

Sammy94
August 9th, 2014, 11:23 PM
We have around 15 new transfers at Sam. Ex-TCU WR LaDarius Brown is the latest.

Catatonic
August 11th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Speaking of losing players before they ever register, just noticed Incarnate Word does not show running back Xavier Turner on their roster with other freshmen. He was the headliner of their 2014 class. Anyone know what happened?

Texas
August 11th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Speaking of losing players before they ever register, just noticed Incarnate Word does not show running back Xavier Turner on their roster with other freshmen. He was the headliner of their 2014 class. Anyone know what happened?

He came to his senses

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

SFA 93
August 12th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Bye to Nike hello to Under Armour.

SFA 2014 Football Uniforms

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bu2gW_1CIAA3Yl8.jpg:large

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zljPUH_Qnk8

Sammy94
August 12th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Overstreet is officially a Bearkat.

katstrapper