PDA

View Full Version : Zenner for Payton Award

Rabbit74
July 25th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Here is a video that SDSU has put together of part of the Zenner for Payton Award. Thought you might find it interesting. There are going to be "31 moments of Zenner" in the campaign. He wears number 31.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJQ9md_QCus&feature=youtu.be

This touchdown run was against Nebraska.

Rabbit74
July 25th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Here is another in the series (actually the first in the series)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07kPVR7OgFI

This one gives a lot of his stats.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Here is a video that SDSU has put together of part of the Zenner for Payton Award. Thought you might find it interesting. There are going to be "31 moments of Zenner" in the campaign. He wears number 31.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJQ9md_QCus&feature=youtu.be

This touchdown run was against Nebraska.

Thanks for putting it up man. You can embed yt bids btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJQ9md_QCus&feature=youtu.be

slostang
July 25th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Impressive. Hope he runs wild again in 2014 with the exception of the 2nd week of the season. :)

Bisonator
July 25th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Does it mention the "zenner" is equal to 4 yards? :D

underdawg
July 26th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Yeh the guy was stymied by the Bison and only got a human-like 120 yards (only 3.6 ypc) against the Salukis, but tell me you or any other Team in the Valley wouldn't take Zenner on their team in a heart beat--he runs like a rhino with a rocket strapped to his butt! A great back.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 26th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Yeh the guy was stymied by the Bison and only got a human-like 120 yards (only 3.6 ypc) against the Salukis, but tell me you or any other Team in the Valley wouldn't take Zenner on their team in a heart beat--he runs like a rhino with a rocket strapped to his butt! A great back.

You gotta admit, only 4 yds against the Bison is pretty comical.

Bisonator
July 26th, 2014, 03:06 PM

Oh he's a great back. Its too bad he has go against NDSU every year. He'd probably have another 1000 yards.

clenz
July 26th, 2014, 05:05 PM
He wouldn't start at UNI

NoDak 4 Ever
July 26th, 2014, 07:32 PM
He wouldn't start at UNI

He's a hell of a lot more durable than DJ

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 26th, 2014, 07:47 PM
SDSU's schedule is brutal, @ Mizzou, Cal Poly, @ Southern Utah, @ ISU-R, @ UNI, @YSU, @ NDSU and a rivalry game with the Coyotes. I don't see the how SDSU wins enough games for Zenner to be a legit candidate.

With that said, if they do win his numbers will likely be absurd....

clenz
July 26th, 2014, 07:47 PM
He's a hell of a lot more durable than DJ
1 strained hip flexor, which he ran for 160 plus yards in three separate games after he took a couple weeka to heal some

NoDak 4 Ever
July 26th, 2014, 07:57 PM
1 strained hip flexor, which he ran for 160 plus yards in three separate games after he took a couple weeka to heal some

OK so if it's not durability, where are his 2000 yd seasons?

clenz
July 26th, 2014, 08:34 PM
OK so if it's not durability, where are his 2000 yd seasons?

If UNI relied on DJ like SDSU does Zenner he'd have a couple of them as well.

2012:
ZZ 300 carries
DJ 178 carries

SDSU 384 carries as a team (79% of team carries)
UNI 364 carries as a team (48% of team carries)

ZZ 351 carries
DJ 222 carries

SDSU 539 carries (66% of team carries)
UNI 469 carries (47% of team carries)

DJ had a higher YPC last season.

DJ has much better receiving stats and is a very legitimate thread out of the backfield.

I could extrapolate this out to get ZZ and DJ an equal number of carries based on YPC to see where they stand...

giving DJ 129 more carries last season he is at 2,035 yards
giving DJ 122 more carries in 2012 is at 1,800.

DJ won't put 2000 yards up this season either. UNI had a very good back, that was set to start at Iowa as a true freshman before a knee injury, transfer in and rumor has it that another very talented/high ceiling back in transferring in.

You can't look at just the total yards and go "Well, ZZ has more yards".

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady throw for more yards than Dan Marion and Joe Montana...doesn't make them better based simply on that.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 26th, 2014, 08:41 PM
ZZ is very good.

Wonder if the Bison defense can contain him this year.

That run against Kansas is awesome....running away from Big 12 DBs.....xthumbsupx

clenz
July 26th, 2014, 08:55 PM
ZZ is very good.

That run against Kansas is awesome....running away from Big 12 DBs.....xthumbsupx

I've not said he isn't a very good back.

I've simply said he wouldn't start at UNI and that DJ is the better, and more complete, back

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 26th, 2014, 08:58 PM
ZZ is very good.

As a ND fan I had to laugh at the final part. I might be able to run away from a Chollie Weis DB....

clenz
July 26th, 2014, 09:01 PM
As a ND fan I had to laugh at the final part. I might be able to run away from a Chollie Weis DB....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_lvWz5WiU0

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 26th, 2014, 09:32 PM
I've not said he isn't a very good back.

I've simply said he wouldn't start at UNI and that DJ is the better, and more complete, back

I never compared the two of them. DJ is very good also and has all the talent to play on Sundays.

ZZ is a very good north/south runner and would be a welcome addition on any Valley roster including UNI and NDSU.

Bison pride
July 26th, 2014, 11:17 PM
If you can't compete vs your rival, you don't get a Payton.

skinny_uncle
July 26th, 2014, 11:40 PM

Due to scheduling, he won't have to deal with the Salukis this year.

UNIFanSince1983
July 27th, 2014, 01:41 AM
I never compared the two of them. DJ is very good also and has all the talent to play on Sundays.

ZZ is a very good north/south runner and would be a welcome addition on any Valley roster including UNI and NDSU.

He would definitely be welcome on the UNI roster. He would not, however, be the starter.

ZZ 4 yards against NDSU on 8 carries.

DJ 142 yards on 12 carries.

Both great backs that will have a great opportunity on Sundays. I, however, would not take anyone over Mr. Johnson.

smallcollegefbfan
July 27th, 2014, 02:37 AM
He would definitely be welcome on the UNI roster. He would not, however, be the starter.

ZZ 4 yards against NDSU on 8 carries.

DJ 142 yards on 12 carries.

Both great backs that will have a great opportunity on Sundays. I, however, would not take anyone over Mr. Johnson.

No question that Johnson is the better player.

Professor Chaos
July 27th, 2014, 10:42 AM
What makes Zenner special isn't his talent, I think there's plenty of RBs around the FCS that have just as much talent or more. What makes him special is the fact that he can take a 30+ carry beating one week and come back the next week and do it again at a high level (well, unless next week it's against the Bison :D). Not that there's anything wrong with the RB by committee approach, it's worked well for the Bison the last few years, but Zenner and SDSU are most definitely "old school" with the workload he gets. Not many RBs at any level have the toughness and tenacity to take the kind of punishment he takes and still play at the level he does week in week out.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 27th, 2014, 10:47 AM
What makes Zenner special isn't his talent, I think there's plenty of RBs around the FCS that have just as much talent or more. What makes him special is the fact that he can take a 30+ carry beating one week and come back the next week and do it again at a high level (well, unless next week it's against the Bison :D). Not that there's anything wrong with the RB by committee approach, it's worked well for the Bison the last few years, but Zenner and SDSU are most definitely "old school" with the workload he gets. Not many RBs at any level could take the kind of punishment he takes and still play at the level he does week in week out.

I think this is what makes Zenner it. I also wouldn't trade him for our guys but I'm unconvinced of DJ's value in crunch time. I saw him wither against the Bison in a game where it really mattered.

That being said, neither DJ nor ZZ has made a dime's worth of difference in getting their team to the next level.

McNeese75
July 27th, 2014, 10:50 AM
What about their GPAs??? How to ZZ and DJ stack up xconfusedx :D

NoDak 4 Ever
July 27th, 2014, 10:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_lvWz5WiU0

I'm wondering if they thought the last morbidly obese coach was such a success, it might happen again.

clenz
July 27th, 2014, 11:25 AM
What about their GPAs??? How to ZZ and DJ stack up xconfusedx :D

From DJ's twitter feed...

18 credits at a 3.9 gpa last semester.

https://twitter.com/dajohnson7/status/466979167884419072/photo/1

Yes, I realize it's a little odd that I remember that being posted.

McNeese75
July 27th, 2014, 11:30 AM
From DJ's twitter feed...

18 credits at a 3.9 gpa last semester.

https://twitter.com/dajohnson7/status/466979167884419072/photo/1

Yes, I realize it's a little odd that I remember that being posted.

xhurrayx No, I do not think it is odd at all considering your man crush on him xnodx

Great RB and it appears a fine student as well.

clenz
July 27th, 2014, 11:41 AM
I think this is what makes Zenner it. I also wouldn't trade him for our guys but I'm unconvinced of DJ's value in crunch time. I saw him wither against the Bison in a game where it really mattered.

That being said, neither DJ nor ZZ has made a dime's worth of difference in getting their team to the next level.
You saw him run for 140+ yards on 12 carries before suffering an injury that is nearly impossible to run with

You've watched DJ go for 136 total yards as a freshman, 108 as a sophomore and 166 total yards as a JR against NDSU. Does ZZ have 108 yards total in his 4 games against NDSU. DJ is averaging 7.9 yards per carry against NDSU the last two years. There has been an entire game where ZZ doesn't get the yards DJ is averaging per carry against NDSU.

Over that same two year span here are the numbers ZZ has put up against NDSU

14 carries 43 yards (3.1 ypc)
3 catches 5 yards

15 carries 46 yards (3.1 ypc)
1 catch 14 yards

8 carries 4 yards (.5 ypc)
2 catches 24 yards

So, he has 37 carries for 98 yards (2.5 ypc) and 6 catches for 43 yards (7.1 ypr). That is 141 TOTAL yards in 3 games - or less yards than DJ had rushing in 1 game last season

Sorry that isn't impressive enough for you.

- - - Updated - - -

xhurrayx No, I do not think it is odd at all considering your man crush on him xnodx

Great RB and it appears a fine student as well.

Those types of things tend to stand out. An athlete that is as good as him carrying a 3.9 gpa tends to "make news".

Houndawg
July 27th, 2014, 11:52 AM
No doubt that DJ is a physical specimen but getting stuffed by an LB smaller than him on 4th and 1 was a huge play that cost UNI a rare chance for victory against SIU last year. The year before that he fumbled into the end zone and had it returned 103 yds for a TD, by the same LB, in a 3pt. loss. We love DJ in C'dale...

Bisonator
July 27th, 2014, 07:53 PM
DJ is the better all around back on the better team. ZZ doesn't have the team around him that DJ does but he's still a very good back and really carries SDSU's offense at times. If SDSU had a better passing game he'd be even better and more effective but even still he's done an amazing job for them. Both of those guys are definitely worthy.

clenz
July 27th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Ask a SDSU fan and they'll tell you they have (have had) the besy qb in the league for the last 3 years and do again this year

Bison pride
July 27th, 2014, 09:14 PM
John Crockett says hi

Bisonoline
July 27th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Ask a SDSU fan and they'll tell you they have (have had) the besy qb in the league for the last 3 years and do again this year

You noticed that also.

clenz
July 27th, 2014, 09:17 PM
John Crockett says hi

Also a very good back...

Though imagine DJ and ZZ behind the OL that NDSU has had the last 3 years...

- - - Updated - - -

You noticed that also.

Quite possibly the best qb in conference history....or so I've been told by a couple (yes, more than one) SDSU fan....

No...I'm not kidding

smallcollegefbfan
July 27th, 2014, 09:22 PM

Fans are entitled to be homers to a certain extent. He's #2 in the MVFC on my board right now and Wentz is someone with the potential to equal or pass him. He was the #4 QB in the MVFC on my list last year. You could also argue that Norvell is right there with him as well.

Houndawg
July 27th, 2014, 10:58 PM
DJ is the better all around back on the better team. ZZ doesn't have the team around him that DJ does but he's still a very good back and really carries SDSU's offense at times. If SDSU had a better passing game he'd be even better and more effective but even still he's done an amazing job for them. Both of those guys are definitely worthy.

This.

The past two seasons ZZ has averaged right at 4 ypc against us and DJ has averaged just over five, but DJ had very costly mistakes in both games, like cost them the game costly. Good point about it being harder to give DJ attention than ZZ because of other weapons.

Thumper76
July 27th, 2014, 11:17 PM
If DJ carried the load that ZZ does he would be much more of a focus for the other team, and would probrably hurt his ypc some. So you cant just take his current ypc and extrapolate it out and say so there. Not saying either way, but I am exstatic to have another year with ZZ in the backfield.

Kemo
July 28th, 2014, 12:41 AM
If DJ carried the load that ZZ does he would be much more of a focus for the other team, and would probrably hurt his ypc some. So you cant just take his current ypc and extrapolate it out and say so there. Not saying either way, but I am exstatic to have another year with ZZ in the backfield.My feelings exactly, though I kind of liked sitting back and listening to the other MVFC fans talk without interfering.

I find it amusing that some feel running back x would maintain the same YPC if they had the same workload as Zenner. Besides the extra strain on the body, the extra carries draw extra attention. Every oppenent's #1 focus is to stop ZZ, and it's amazing how few teams do considering how vanilla the Jacks offense can be. The only back that has seen a comparable number of 8+ man fronts over the last two years is Terrence West.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 28th, 2014, 06:19 AM
My feelings exactly, though I kind of liked sitting back and listening to the other MVFC fans talk without interfering.

I find it amusing that some feel running back x would maintain the same YPC if they had the same workload as Zenner. Besides the extra strain on the body, the extra carries draw extra attention. Every oppenent's #1 focus is to stop ZZ, and it's amazing how few teams do considering how vanilla the Jacks offense can be. The only back that has seen a comparable number of 8+ man fronts over the last two years is Terrence West.

This here.

Different type of RBs that are asked to do different things in their offenses. Both are very good. DJ probably more gifted athletically but ZZ is tough as nails and keeps producing week after week even though teams know he is running right at them.

DJ has the size and skill set to play on Sundays.

underdawg
July 28th, 2014, 06:47 AM
This here.

Different type of RBs that are asked to do different things in their offenses. Both are very good. DJ probably more gifted athletically but ZZ is tough as nails and keeps producing week after week even though teams know he is running right at them.

DJ has the size and skill set to play on Sundays.

I agree with most of what you say but I wouldn't short change ZZ's athleticism---if he gets a step he usually out runs most DBs

ysubigred
July 28th, 2014, 01:57 PM
YSU's # 29 Martin Ruiz TB 5-11 195 might be in the mix.was a beast as a true freshman.

Rabbit74
August 3rd, 2014, 09:03 AM
Zack comments on the Missouri Valley Conference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gDH-4Od-K8&feature=youtu.be

smallcollegefbfan
August 3rd, 2014, 09:30 AM
YSU's # 29 Martin Ruiz TB 5-11 195 might be in the mix.was a beast as a true freshman.

I wouldn't put him in their class, yet. However, I wouldn't say he is far off either. I expect Ruiz to be in their class next year this time. He's a good player and is a future 1st-team All-MVFC RB!

RabidRabbit
August 25th, 2014, 12:21 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/south-dakota-state-s-zach-zenner-is-everybody-s-all-american-on-and-off-the-field-082514?utm_source=fantasyleaguegm.com

Fox Sports write up. Nice work by the author, IMHO.

Kemo
August 25th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Here is a really good, in-depth article about Zach Zenner by Sam Gardner of Fox Sports:

South Dakota State's Zach Zenner is Everybody's All-American (http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/south-dakota-state-s-zach-zenner-is-everybody-s-all-american-on-and-off-the-field-082514?utm_source=fantasyleaguegm.com)

edit: RabidRabbit is quicker than me (which is to be expected given his name implies speed and tenacity while mine implies that I am sickly and a poor speller).

NoDak 4 Ever
August 25th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Here's a tip for the banquet committee. Make sure Zenner is less than 4 yards away from the award so you can assure he gets it. :D

YoUDeeMan
August 27th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Nice article...kid seems to have his head on straight.

tomq04
August 27th, 2014, 05:42 PM
No one mentions that ZZ got a pretty bitchin' 71 yards against EWU's "terrible" defense last playoff season. That being said, he is likely going to be the best back in the league.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=333410331