PDA

View Full Version : WHERE WILL HBCUS GO IN REVAMPED NCAA?

bluedog
July 23rd, 2014, 08:24 AM
Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Commissioner Greg Moore recently told the Montgomery Advertiser that growing talks about revenue possibilities in NCAA sports are being made without consideration for historically Black colleges and universities.

“I believe the gap between the have and have nots is growing to the point where it’s becoming alarming,” Moore said. “When you have the average payout at a Power 5 conference school exceeds the top line revenue of all the HBCU conferences combined, that’s a problem,” Moore said. “That should be discussed. No one is talking about it.”

Read (http://hbcudigest.com/where-will-hbcus-go-in-revamped-ncaa/)

bluedog
July 23rd, 2014, 08:30 AM
SIAC Commissoner Wants HBCUs Included In NCAA Reformation Discussions (http://www.tspnsports.com/2014/07/23/siac-commissoner-wants-hbcus-included-in-ncaa-reformation-discussions.htm)

In recent months, there have been discussions about player compensation beyond the athletic scholarship complete with initiatives highlighting the need for athletes to have unlimited meals and other amenities. All this comes at a cost, though. A cost that the majority of HBCUs can’t afford.

Moore said HBCU leaders are being ignored at the highest levels as leaders debate possible unionization, scholarships and other hot-button issues that create waves throughout the press.

Bisonoline
July 23rd, 2014, 08:36 AM
Dont see what the mystery is. The HBCUs have built themselves an island unto themselves. Now they wonder why they arent in the conversation?

Lehigh Football Nation
July 23rd, 2014, 08:52 AM
I very much agree with Mr. Moore. The P5's vision of collegiate athletics are one that had HBCU's shunted to the side, perhaps in Division II or maybe even D-III, if they even care for them to have athletics.

For that matter, the P5 model doesn't include 85% of the NCAA's current membership.

BEAR
July 23rd, 2014, 08:56 AM
Into their own league? Oh wait....

So what will be different? The haves are constantly putting distance between themselves and the havenots. Is this something new?

BluBengal07
July 23rd, 2014, 09:00 AM
wait... so the discussed revamped will only impact HBCUs. get out of here with that "mercy me" mess. it impacts everyone who is not of the Power 5. strongly impacts FCS in general. which FCS are in the conversation(s)? HBCUs are not the only low resource institutions in the D1.

RichH2
July 23rd, 2014, 09:03 AM
P5 merely playing out our societies current makers vs takers philosophy. Therefore , system has to be altered to benefit the top. The rest just have to be satisfied with what's leftover. HBCUs along with most of. NCAA are irrelevant to the discussion.

Daytripper
July 23rd, 2014, 09:09 AM
P5 merely playing out our societies current makers vs takers philosophy. Therefore , system has to be altered to benefit the top. The rest just have to be satisfied with what's leftover. HBCUs along with most of. NCAA are irrelevant to the discussion.

+1

clenz
July 23rd, 2014, 09:11 AM
wait... so the discussed revamped will only impact HBCUs. get out of here with that "mercy me" mess. it impacts everyone who is not of the Power 5. strongly impacts FCS in general. which FCS are in the conversation(s)? HBCUs are not the only low resource institutions in the D1.
My thoughts exactly.

Why now are the HBCU's crying about being on an island that they built themselves?

This isn't just an HBCU thing. This affects about 85-90% of non-P5 schools.

eagle07
July 23rd, 2014, 09:16 AM
I don't know why the HBCUs think this will effect them greatly. P5 & G5 vote for stipends ex. Then FCS conferences and lower must approve changes at a conference level. I wouldn't think that there will be many FCS conferences that adopt these increasing costs. If so it could cause real grief in scheduling and playoff selection with nobody wanting to play someone with such and advantage . So how does anything really change for the HBCUs? They aren't getting any of the P5 money now either

BluBengal07
July 23rd, 2014, 09:34 AM
this thread is an open and shut case.

this should of went on the spin of with some HBCUs recognizing the possible impact of P5, how will the systems that be in FCS move forward if this becomes true. how will the ripple effect impact?

bluedog
July 23rd, 2014, 09:54 AM

xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

walliver
July 23rd, 2014, 10:16 AM
The original article seems to be bring race into an issue which is completely one color - "green".

All non-P5 schools and conferences will be affected, HBCU's no more or less than their "PWC" colleagues.