PDA

View Full Version : P&P Sports Network’s Preseason Football Power Poll

The Cats
July 21st, 2014, 09:13 AM
Palmetto & Pine Sports Network’s Preseason Football Power Poll (http://palmettoandpinesports.com/2014/07/21/palmetto-pine-sports-networks-preseason-football-power-poll/)

Combined SoCon/Big South Power Poll

1. Coastal Carolina (Big South)…………….…….....126 (5)
2. Furman (Southern)………………………………….....120 (2)
3. Chattanooga (Southern)………………………......119 (1)
4. Liberty (Big South)……………………………………..113
5. Wofford (Southern)………………………………….....96
6. Samford (Southern)………………………………….....91
7. Charleston Southern (Big South)………...….....81
8. The Citadel (Southern)…………..…………………...72
9. Western Carolina (Southern)…….....…………...68
10. Gardner-Webb (Big South)……...……………....64
11. Monmouth (Big South)……………………………....57
12. Mercer (Southern)………………………………….....46
13. Presbyterian (Big South)………………...………..40
14. VMI (Southern)…………………………….……….....33
15. Jacksonville (Pioneer)…………………....………...24
16. Campbell (Pioneer)…………………………………....21
17. Stetson (Pioneer)……………………….…………....14

palmettoandpinesports.com/2014/07/21/palmetto-pine-sports-networks-preseason-football-power-poll/ (http://palmettoandpinesports.com/2014/07/21/palmetto-pine-sports-networks-preseason-football-power-poll/)

Teal2018
July 21st, 2014, 10:05 AM
It's cool to see some interesting pieces already coming out of Palmetto &Pine. Can't wait to see what they do once the season starts up.

smallcollegefbfan
July 21st, 2014, 10:26 AM
Palmetto & Pine Sports Network’s Preseason Football Power Poll (http://palmettoandpinesports.com/2014/07/21/palmetto-pine-sports-networks-preseason-football-power-poll/)

Combined SoCon/Big South Power Poll

1. Coastal Carolina (Big South)…………….…….....126 (5)
2. Furman (Southern)………………………………….....120 (2)
3. Chattanooga (Southern)………………………......119 (1)
4. Liberty (Big South)……………………………………..113
5. Wofford (Southern)………………………………….....96
6. Samford (Southern)………………………………….....91
7. Charleston Southern (Big South)………...….....81
8. The Citadel (Southern)…………..…………………...72
9. Western Carolina (Southern)…….....…………...68
10. Gardner-Webb (Big South)……...……………....64
11. Monmouth (Big South)……………………………....57
12. Mercer (Southern)………………………………….....46
13. Presbyterian (Big South)………………...………..40
14. VMI (Southern)…………………………….……….....33
15. Jacksonville (Pioneer)…………………....………...24
16. Campbell (Pioneer)…………………………………....21
17. Stetson (Pioneer)……………………….…………....14

palmettoandpinesports.com/2014/07/21/palmetto-pine-sports-networks-preseason-football-power-poll/ (http://palmettoandpinesports.com/2014/07/21/palmetto-pine-sports-networks-preseason-football-power-poll/)

Honestly, I would put Furman ahead of CCU. NDSU throttled CCU and struggled with Furman. Remember, Furman played a tougher schedule last year and was better at the end of the year. CCU kind of tapered off as the season went on and Furman just got stronger. Furman returns a lot.

My top 5 for this poll would be 1. Furman 2. Chattanooga 3. Coastal Carolina 4. Samford 5. Liberty

I think 1, 2, and 3 all should be top 25 in the TSN poll and I would be shocked if Samford and Liberty don't have a good bit of top 25 votes.

I'm not calling for Liberty to upset App State but keep an eye on it. Liberty really only lost Walt Aikens and Kevin Fogg among their top players. App has moved up and may not focus on that game like they normally would. App picked that as homecoming so they obviously expect an easy win and they have Troy on the road the week after. They also have Arkansas State, Monroe, and Lafayette in the coming weeks after that. App should win that game by 21 or 24 but depending on how they look the two weeks prior I might project it as close as 3-7 points.

Drblankstare
July 21st, 2014, 12:05 PM
Chatty is way to low. They are the future SoCon Champs and always will be :D

citdog
July 21st, 2014, 02:37 PM
Honestly, I would put Furman ahead of CCU. NDSU throttled CCU and struggled with Furman. Remember, Furman played a tougher schedule last year and was better at the end of the year. CCU kind of tapered off as the season went on and Furman just got stronger. Furman returns a lot.

My top 5 for this poll would be 1. Furman 2. Chattanooga 3. Coastal Carolina 4. Samford 5. Liberty

I think 1, 2, and 3 all should be top 25 in the TSN poll and I would be shocked if Samford and Liberty don't have a good bit of top 25 votes.

I'm not calling for Liberty to upset App State but keep an eye on it. Liberty really only lost Walt Aikens and Kevin Fogg among their top players. App has moved up and may not focus on that game like they normally would. App picked that as homecoming so they obviously expect an easy win and they have Troy on the road the week after. They also have Arkansas State, Monroe, and Lafayette in the coming weeks after that. App should win that game by 21 or 24 but depending on how they look the two weeks prior I might project it as close as 3-7 points.

appy st talk belongs in "other sports".

The Cats
July 21st, 2014, 02:51 PM
appy st talk belongs in "other sports".

Why is that, all powerful one? xbowx

App state is on Liberty's schedule this season, they play Oct 11, 2014.

I think that enables someone to talk about ASU in that context, even on this board that you run, just like you run the SoCon (sarcasm intended). xcoolx

DFW HOYA
July 21st, 2014, 02:55 PM
Davidson gets no respect in that poll. (Opening vs. College of Faith will do that.)

walliver
July 21st, 2014, 04:16 PM
Davidson gets no respect in that poll. (Opening vs. College of Faith will do that.)

Maybe the author didn't realize their football team didn't move to the A-10.:D

citdog
July 21st, 2014, 06:50 PM

I think that enables someone to talk about ASU in that context, even on this board that you run, just like you run the SoCon (sarcasm intended). xcoolx

just like your football team your opinion is irrelevant. come to think of it like appy st's team too.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 21st, 2014, 08:26 PM

Agreed. The Cat's just shut you down dog!

thirdgendin
July 22nd, 2014, 10:19 AM

It may be so (Furman/CCU), but given their success against us lately, you'll find most Furman fans are hesitant to look at that as a positive on our side. Hopefully this year we can hold serve at home and build a better playoff resume.

walliver
July 22nd, 2014, 10:39 AM

Samford collapsed at the end of 2013 with bad losses (a loss to The Citadel, a 35-17 loss to Furman, and a 55-14 blow-out loss to Jacksonville State). They also had significant graduation losses. I would place them 4th at best, and more likely 5th, in the SoCon and likely 6th to 8th in the mythical pine-and-palmetto region.

I would put Chatty #1 (although the Moc-curse seems to strike even when they have a good team), FU and CCU would be a toss-up for #2, with the edge to the Purple Pukes.

I wouldn't read much into comparative NDSU scores. FU plays a style of football which tends to limit scoring and keep games close while CCU plays a wide-open game which tends to lead to greater point differentials.

Teal2018
July 22nd, 2014, 12:02 PM

I wouldn't say CCU tapered off at the end of the year. They had a tough loss to CSU and lost to South Carolina and then NDSU in the Fargo dome, but they also crushed BC and then beat Montana in Missoula. I wouldn't call a run to the quarter finals tapering off and I think they are the best team in this ranking but we will know for sure once the season gets going.

chattanoogamocs
July 22nd, 2014, 01:13 PM
Samford collapsed at the end of 2013 with bad losses (a loss to The Citadel, a 35-17 loss to Furman, and a 55-14 blow-out loss to Jacksonville State). They also had significant graduation losses. I would place them 4th at best, and more likely 5th, in the SoCon and likely 6th to 8th in the mythical pine-and-palmetto region.

I would put Chatty #1 (although the Moc-curse seems to strike even when they have a good team), FU and CCU would be a toss-up for #2, with the edge to the Purple Pukes.

I wouldn't read much into comparative NDSU scores. FU plays a style of football which tends to limit scoring and keep games close while CCU plays a wide-open game which tends to lead to greater point differentials.

Moc-curse?

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a curse...just slowly recovering from two decades of bad coaching. Injuries happens, the ball takes a funny bounce some times...some times a ref blows a call. It's football.

And honestly, Huesman has had to learn how to be a head coach (it is a big adjustment from being a position coach). The Mocs have shown steady improvement from year 1 to year 5 of Huesman being at the helm.

Great teams expect to win...when you had a program that has been bad for a long time, often times people are just waiting for the other shoe to fall, even when things are going well. Now the Mocs expect to be in contention for the SoCon title each season.

Rational Moc fans knew this would be a long haul and are happy with the sustained improvement.

aces1180
July 22nd, 2014, 02:29 PM

Wait...What? NDSU beat Furman 38-7. I'm not sure how that would be considered anything but a whipping.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 22nd, 2014, 02:56 PM
Wait...What? NDSU beat Furman 38-7. I'm not sure how that would be considered anything but a whipping.

That was pretty funny reading it.

Furman was a good team and will be good this year but in no way during that game did I feel that NDSU wasn't in control. But I suppose only a 31 point win would be considered 'struggling'.....xthumbsupx