PDA

View Full Version : Football Gameplan's 2014 Preseason FCS All-American Team

FootballCEO
July 2nd, 2014, 07:28 AM
http://footballgameplan.com/fbgps-2014-preseason-fcs-all-american-team/

Good morning AGS! Here's my Preseason FCS All-American Team! Feel free to dissect :)

Enjoy!

Em

BISON Thunder
July 2nd, 2014, 07:49 AM
I clearly need to reassess my expectations for the 2014 Bison! :)

chattownmocs
July 2nd, 2014, 07:58 AM
Youd think that winning 3 national championships would get you a lot of all americans. Unfortunately they lost all of them

NoDak 4 Ever
July 2nd, 2014, 08:02 AM
Yep, the cupboard's completely bare.

I'd be surprised if we win 3 games this year.

BISON Thunder
July 2nd, 2014, 08:04 AM
Youd think that winning 3 national championships would get you a lot of all americans. Unfortunately they lost all of them

Nah...just a player or two who may have started on two or three national championship teams (MVP Championship game type) and are obvious coat tail riders. All is cool...

FootballCEO
July 2nd, 2014, 08:11 AM
I see what's going here!

However, expect to see the All-Missouri Valley Conference team more to your liking.. I'll just post the link to the 2014 Bison Roster lol

BISON Thunder
July 2nd, 2014, 08:18 AM
I see what's going here!

However, expect to see the All-Missouri Valley Conference team more to your liking.. I'll just post the link to the 2014 Bison Roster lol
Actually I loved the video. It is fun to see the talent across the country. I think a couple California players could be on the list too. I recognize it is difficult to choose 60ish players...someone will always feel their favorites are excluded. Especially those damn Bison fans.

FootballCEO
July 2nd, 2014, 08:27 AM
Actually I loved the video. It is fun to see the talent across the country. I think a couple California players could be on the list too. I recognize it is difficult to choose 30ish players...someone will always feel their favorites are excluded. Especially those damn Bison fans.

Thanks BT! I will say this though, IMO, it was tough for me to see 'clear cut' all-americans from the upcoming Bison team like you had with Jensen, Olsen, Turner…etc

NoDak 4 Ever
July 2nd, 2014, 09:10 AM
Dude, listen to me. There is nobody left.

Nobody should take NDSU seriously this year. Overlook them all you want, it won't be a big deal. Trust me.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2014, 09:16 AM
Keshaudas Spence over David Johnson? My opinion, and that of NFL teams and FCS coaches, is that Johnson and Zenner are the two best RBs in FCS. I don't have Spencer in my top 5 FCS RBs.

It amazes me the lack of attention Chad Hamilton, Ned Daryoush, and Robert Myers have gotten by websites.

Just curious what you did not like about those 3 on tape and saw in Huston that he was better than them?

I don't have Huston in my top 10 OTs.

I'm with you on Seibert and you can argue Holcombe but I have him #3 C.

I think Troy Moore is vastly overrated. He only had one tackle against Fordham, their best competition. I have him at #8 in my DT rankings.

I think people are putting too many NEC players on these All-America lists. Duquesne LB and that CB you have on 1st to me aren't even top 15 at their position.

I thought Harlan Miller was the big snub.

Okafor of Lamar is listed as a DE, not DT.

James Washington is not listed on the Weber State roster.

Those are the main thoughts I had that differ.

You had most of the obvious that I think have to be on there like Adams, Zenner, Kupp, Tull, and Fitzpatrick.

BisonFan02
July 2nd, 2014, 09:17 AM

Flip the script chatty....you would think with all of the hyped talent you guys always have.....you would win...at least something?

FootballCEO
July 2nd, 2014, 09:28 AM
Keshaudas Spence over David Johnson? My opinion, and that of NFL teams and FCS coaches, is that Johnson and Zenner are the two best RBs in FCS. I don't have Spencer in my top 5 FCS RBs.

It amazes me the lack of attention Chad Hamilton, Ned Daryoush, and Robert Myers have gotten by websites.

Just curious what you did not like about those 3 on tape and saw in Huston that he was better than them?

I don't have Huston in my top 10 OTs.

I'm with you on Seibert and you can argue Holcombe but I have him #3 C.

I think Troy Moore is vastly overrated. He only had one tackle against Fordham, their best competition. I have him at #8 in my DT rankings.

I think people are putting too many NEC players on these All-America lists. Duquesne LB and that CB you have on 1st to me aren't even top 15 at their position.

I thought Harlan Miller and Quinn Backus are big snubs, IMO.

Okafor of Lamar is listed as a DE, not DT.

James Washington is not listed on the Weber State roster.

Those are the main thoughts I had that differ.

You had most of the obvious that I think have to be on there like Adams, Zenner, Kupp, Tull, and Fitzpatrick.

Thanks SCFBF! Speaking with Coach Surace this past May, he spoke glowingly in-between takes about Epperly. Wouldn't surprise me to see him exceed what he did last year

Backus is my 1st team LB

Okafor plays the '5T' which is a glorified DT

clenz
July 2nd, 2014, 09:35 AM
Flip the script chatty....you would think with all of the hyped talent you guys always have.....you would win...at least something?
I tried for 20 minutes to find a meme/gif that appropriately described the epic nature of this burn....I couldn't do it.

You literally left me speechless with this.

xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

clenz
July 2nd, 2014, 09:37 AM
I don't know about the rest of the post but anyone who doesn't have DJ, ZZ, and Crocket at, or very very close to, the top of the FCS stable loses nearly all respect I would've had for their predictions.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2014, 09:39 AM
Thanks SCFBF! Speaking with Coach Surace this past May, he spoke glowingly in-between takes about Epperly. Wouldn't surprise me to see him exceed what he did last year

Backus is my 1st team LB

Okafor plays the '5T' which is a glorified DT

Epperly is really good.

I was about to say it would be easier if you could list the 1st and 2nd teams out on the website because I ran through the video quickly. Didn't have 10 minutes to skim over the team so I quickly ran through the slides. I guess I missed him.

5-technique is a thicker DE in a 3-4 scheme but just letting you know he is listed at end on their website.

I did not see James Washington on the Weber State website. Am I wrong and he is playing this year or have you heard something I don't know?

BEAR
July 2nd, 2014, 09:41 AM
Shared this on facebook. Excellent list. This FCS group is loaded this year. Can't wait for football season to start! xbowx

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2014, 09:42 AM
I don't know about the rest of the post but anyone who doesn't have DJ, ZZ, and Crocket at, or very very close to, the top of the FCS stable loses nearly all respect I would've had for their predictions.

He had Zenner 1st team and left off Crockett completely. I can't remember if he had Johnson on the 2nd team?

To me the top 3 RBs, in no order, have to be Zenner, Johnson, and Crockett. I could see someone listing Zenner or Johnson 1st.

clenz
July 2nd, 2014, 09:46 AM
He had Zenner 1st team and left off Crockett completely. I can't remember if he had Johnson on the 2nd team?

To me the top 3 RBs, in no order, have to be Zenner, Johnson, and Crockett. I could see someone listing Zenner or Johnson 1st.
The RB depth in the MVFC the last couple years has been crazy.

Those three plus Ojuri and Bell - minus the fact he had to play for a dog crap ISUb team have more talent than any other conference in the nation

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2014, 09:49 AM
The RB depth in the MVFC the last couple years has been crazy.

Those three plus Ojuri and Bell - minus the fact he had to play for a dog crap ISUb team have more talent than any other conference in the nation

No question. It might not always be like that but these last few years and this year are special to see the depth.

MplsBison
July 2nd, 2014, 10:45 AM

This is a Preseason list. That means it's based only on preseason activities.

Word on the street is that DJ only averaged 1.9 keg stands per month over the winter session and then in spring he only visited 0.7 elementary schools per month.

Those aren't the kind of numbers one puts up if one expects to get Preseason​ AA honors!

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2014, 10:53 AM
This is a Preseason list. That means it's based only on preseason activities.

Word on the street is that DJ only averaged 1.9 keg stands per month over the winter session and then in spring he only visited 0.7 elementary schools per month.

Those aren't the kind of numbers one puts up if one expects to get Preseason​ AA honors!

I base my picks on how they played last year and try to project a little but mainly go off talent. The stats overall can be deceiving.

It's like on Troy Moore. I can tell people are just looking at the stat sheet and not tape on him. He is a good player but he wouldn't make first-team All-Conference in the Big Sky, Southland, or MVFC right now. I'm not sure he would be first team in the SoCon with Lott and Freeman returning.

Some players have gaudy numbers against bad teams and in their senior year will have a down season because they will get more focus from opponents. That's why I have Moore and some others lower than most because I think players like Lott, Williams, Mau, etc will have a better year because they are better physical talents.

I also look at how players did late in the year. If you averaged 155 yards rushing in the last 5 games but didn't play the first 3 or 4 weeks then I know you are probably going to have a big year this season. That's the type of stuff I focus on. It takes months of tape to come up with a lot of that though. I understand websites in general don't have access to it but after seeing most of the games it baffles me how some of these players get picked every year if people see the games. That's how I often can tell who is watching and who is box score scouting.

blackbeard
July 2nd, 2014, 11:39 AM
I base my picks on how they played last year and try to project a little but mainly go off talent. The stats overall can be deceiving.

It's like on Troy Moore. I can tell people are just looking at the stat sheet and not tape on him. He is a good player but he wouldn't make first-team All-Conference in the Big Sky, Southland, or MVFC right now. I'm not sure he would be first team in the SoCon with Lott and Freeman returning.

Some players have gaudy numbers against bad teams and in their senior year will have a down season because they will get more focus from opponents. That's why I have Moore and some others lower than most because I think players like Lott, Williams, Mau, etc will have a better year because they are better physical talents.

I also look at how players did late in the year. If you averaged 155 yards rushing in the last 5 games but didn't play the first 3 or 4 weeks then I know you are probably going to have a big year this season. That's the type of stuff I focus on. It takes months of tape to come up with a lot of that though. I understand websites in general don't have access to it but after seeing most of the games it baffles me how some of these players get picked every year if people see the games. That's how I often can tell who is watching and who is box score scouting.

You have an opinion about Moore, I'm not going to try to change your mind. He is a solid player that usually commands double team or he is going to live in your backfield.

Regarding Spence take a look at his numbers closer. He played very little against the 2 weakest opponents (D2) on the schedule so he didn't pad his stats there, still averaged 5.9 per carry. Averaged 151 ypg his last 7 games, including a low 42 yd game while battling an injury. Also had 194 and 7.8 per carry against playoff opponent Fordham while playing with the flu.

Against SHU's 3 toughest OOC foes Spence went for 168, 126, and 194 - thats a 163 average. Far better than his season average. So you can't say he piled up stats against a weak conference or patsy D2 opponents. He is physical brute who changes games, not just with a big run, but physically dominating and swatting defensive players in the process, and is worthy of the preseason accolades he is receiving.

chattownmocs
July 2nd, 2014, 11:51 AM
Ive watched crockett. Hes not all american caliber. You can put up great stats when you are surrounded by great talent. Lets see how old crockett runs behind this patchwork oline.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2014, 12:05 PM
You have an opinion about Moore, I'm not going to try to change your mind. He is a solid player that usually commands double team or he is going to live in your backfield.

Regarding Spence take a look at his numbers closer. He played very little against the 2 weakest opponents (D2) on the schedule so he didn't pad his stats there, still averaged 5.9 per carry. Averaged 151 ypg his last 7 games, including a low 42 yd game while battling an injury. Also had 194 and 7.8 per carry against playoff opponent Fordham while playing with the flu.

Against SHU's 3 toughest OOC foes Spence went for 168, 126, and 194 - thats a 163 average. Far better than his season average. So you can't say he piled up stats against a weak conference or patsy D2 opponents. He is physical brute who changes games, not just with a big run, but physically dominating and swatting defensive players in the process, and is worthy of the preseason accolades he is receiving.

No question Spence is good. When I'm talking All-America I'm picking very closely to try and separate who should be 2 or 3 or 4. Spence is a good player who I just don't think should be in the top 3. I think after the 3 I named he is in that next tier with the Jacksonville St RB and the rest from 4-10, in what I think is a very good RB list. I have Spence just outside my top 5 but to be fair he would be top 3 on my board in many years. The MVFC is just so loaded at RB it's hard to put Spence above those guys or the other couple of players I have ahead of him. Spence catches the ball well and he runs hard, moves the pile, and has good vision but just isn't quite as explosive or as athletic as Zenner, Johnson, or Crockett.

Quincy Forte and Keon Williams are two players who I would suggest could have a big year and really rise up the rankings this year.

Your best next level player is Martinez. He is the best returning OL in the NEC and someone who I think deserves more mention than he is getting. I would also put Gordon Hill as a player worthy of mention.

Moore is a good player but he just didn't dominate in the Fordham tape and had most of his numbers against the weak teams. He is good but not elite. After comparing him to Mau, Lott, Williams, etc. I would say he deserves to be ranked among the top 10 DTs in the country but just not quite top 5.

Another name I have higher in my DT rankings than most will is Deon Simon at NW State. Simon should have a big year and is going to be that 3-4 NT type who NFL teams really like. He's got much better movement skills than Moore is a better athlete. He's got better physical tools as well but Moore just doesn't have quite the natural talent of Simon.

I'm not meaning to bash Moore but he is one of those guys who seems to get a ton of love but he hasn't played against very good FCS competition and when he did he just didn't put up the production and dictate the tape like you would expect, based on the awards and stats. He's a very good player though, just not top 3 elite at his position. Go watch Xavier Williams, Derrick Lott, OJ Mau, etc who played against better competition and are slightly better athletes.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2014, 12:08 PM
Ive watched crockett. Hes not all american caliber. You can put up great stats when you are surrounded by great talent. Lets see how old crockett runs behind this patchwork oline.

You can say that about anyone. Huesman isn't that good but watch at what he does this year with Shafaat, Williams, your OL, and the WRs he has. He's a good QB but I suspect he puts up SoCon OFF POY type production more because he has a great cast than because of the talent he has. Not saying Huesman is bad because he is really good but I think his stats will have people rating him in the top 5 QBs in the postseason and I am not sure his physical talent warrants that.

Crockett is a good player. He is going to be used as a receiver out of the backfield more than last year, which that and his blocking are the two big questions. He has a second gear and has very good vision. If Keon Williams had that second gear that Crockett does he would be in my top 10 RBs, and still could see him improve enough to get there this year. As I have said before, this is a very good RB class in FCS. You may see 2 or 3 drafted this year. David Johnson is almost a sure bet to get drafted and I think you could say the same for Zenner. Then James, Crockett, Keon Williams, Quincy Forte, Spence, and several others are good enough at the FCS level they should get a NFL shot as well. This is a deep RB class.

Mattymc727
July 2nd, 2014, 12:12 PM
Chattanooga is gonna suck this year.

chattownmocs
July 2nd, 2014, 12:18 PM
You can say that about anyone. Huesman isn't that good but watch at what he does this year with Shafaat, Williams, your OL, and the WRs he has. He's a good QB but I suspect he puts up SoCon OFF POY type production more because he has a great cast than because of the talent he has. Not saying Huesman is bad because he is really good but I think his stats will have people rating him in the top 5 QBs in the postseason and I am not sure his physical talent warrants that.

Crockett is a good player. He is going to be used as a receiver out of the backfield more than last year, which that and his blocking are the two big questions. He has a second gear and has very good vision. If Keon Williams had that second gear that Crockett does he would be in my top 10 RBs, and still could see him improve enough to get there this year. As I have said before, this is a very good RB class in FCS. You may see 2 or 3 drafted this year. David Johnson is almost a sure bet to get drafted and I think you could say the same for Zenner. Then James, Crockett, Keon Williams, Quincy Forte, Spence, and several others are good enough at the FCS level they should get a NFL shot as well. This is a deep RB class.

Huesman isnt the most physically gifted QB in the nation at all. What he is is all around solid. Accurate. Pretty fast, physical runner, smart. Without being particularly exceptional at anything those things put him at the top. What they dont put him in is all american category right now. Same goes for crockett. Williams isnt an exceptional back either. I dont think he is an all american caliber talent. When he runs hard like he did as a freshman and did last year, his power alone makes him a top 10 back nationally. But All american is more than top 10.

- - - Updated - - -

We would destroy New Hampshire. This year, and in previous years.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2014, 12:24 PM

I admit I have been one to give Chattown hell because he always picks them to be good and they never take that next step. With App and Ga Sou out of the SoCon, two more easy wins, and a league overall that is just not what it was 5 years ago, UTC has a shot to win 9 or 10 games this year.

I think they lose to Central Michigan in a close one and Jacksonville State will be a tossup because JSU has a lot of talent and some good transfers.

After that I think they will beat Austin Peay, Samford, VMI, lose to Tennessee, then beat the Citadel, Mercer, WCU, upset Wofford, and beat TTU.

I'm thinking their record will be 8-3 or 9-2 heading into Furman. Worst case UTC should be 8-4 and could be 9-3 or 10-2 in the regular season. I think they end up 9-3 and probably win at least one playoff game. I'll be shocked if they aren't in the playoffs this year. Huesman is a good player and he has a lot of talent returning. Getting Lott back on the DL and having the best set of skill players in the SoCon will make them a high scoring team who should be able to shut down the run game of most of their opponents.

chattownmocs
July 2nd, 2014, 12:28 PM
I admit I have been one to give Chattown hell because he always picks them to be good and they never take that next step. With App and Ga Sou out of the SoCon, two more easy wins, and a league overall that is just not what it was 5 years ago, UTC has a shot to win 9 or 10 games this year.

I think they lose to Central Michigan in a close one and Jacksonville State will be a tossup because JSU has a lot of talent and some good transfers.

After that I think they will beat Austin Peay, Samford, VMI, lose to Tennessee, then beat the Citadel, Mercer, WCU, upset Wofford, and beat TTU.

I'm thinking their record will be 8-3 or 9-2 heading into Furman. Worst case UTC should be 8-4 and could be 9-3 or 10-2 in the regular season. I think they end up 9-3 and probably win at least one playoff game. I'll be shocked if they aren't in the playoffs this year. Huesman is a good player and he has a lot of talent returning. Getting Lott back on the DL and having the best set of skill players in the SoCon will make them a high scoring team who should be able to shut down the run game of most of their opponents.

Furman isnt one of the hardest games on the schedule, but best set of skill players? If we have the best set of skill players in the socon we might be the best team in america.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2014, 12:28 PM
Huesman isnt the most physically gifted QB in the nation at all. What he is is all around solid. Accurate. Pretty fast, physical runner, smart. Without being particularly exceptional at anything those things put him at the top. What they dont put him in is all american category right now. Same goes for crockett. Williams isnt an exceptional back either. I dont think he is an all american caliber talent. When he runs hard like he did as a freshman and did last year, his power alone makes him a top 10 back nationally. But All american is more than top 10.

- - - Updated - - -

We would destroy New Hampshire. This year, and in previous years.

Don't overlook UNH. Outside of the DL and QB you aren't really better than UNH. UNH is a good team and so will be UTC this year. I think you will beat them, if you play this year, but I don't think you can claim to destroy them. When you say destroy I am thinking a 14 or more type game and I believe it would be close. UNH has one of the best WRs in the nation in RJ Harris, a very good TE, solid QB and RB, pretty good OL, and does have some talent on defense (especially at LB). I don't think they have quite the star power you guys will have though. Because of Huesman's passing and mobility, I don't think they can beat you but I also don't see it being a blowout.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2014, 12:31 PM
Furman isnt one of the hardest games on the schedule, but best set of skill players? If we have the best set of skill players in the socon we might be the best team in america.

Furman will be tough because it's a road game and while they aren't an elite team they made the playoffs and can beat you just as I think you could beat them.

SoCon doesn't have as much skill talent returning right now as they use to. If the league is going to have top tier WRs, RB, and QB then a lot of new names will have to surface. The CAA has 4 WRs better than any returning in the SoCon and you could say the same for the Big Sky, MVFC, etc. Win the SoCon title before you even talk about trying to be the best FCS team in America lol.

No doubt the SoCon will rise up again and be a top tier league but the last two years it has been down more than ever and I while I think the league will improve this year, it still won't be the most dominant league in the FCS like it was use to being along with the CAA. I would probably say the SoCon is overall about the 4th or 5th best conference in FCS this year behind MVFC, Big Sky, CAA, and maybe the OVC if EIU can replace Garoppolo and come close to what they did last year.

McNeese72
July 2nd, 2014, 12:36 PM
"Oh, no!!!! We suck again!!!" ;)

chattownmocs
July 2nd, 2014, 12:40 PM
Furman will be tough because it's a road game and while they aren't an elite team they made the playoffs and can beat you just as I think you could beat them.

SoCon doesn't have as much skill talent returning right now as they use to. If the league is going to have top tier WRs, RB, and QB then a lot of new names will have to surface. The CAA has 4 WRs better than any returning in the SoCon and you could say the same for the Big Sky, MVFC, etc. Win the SoCon title before you even talk about trying to be the best FCS team in America lol.

No doubt the SoCon will rise up again and be a top tier league but the last two years it has been down more than ever and I while I think the league will improve this year, it still won't be the most dominant league in the FCS like it was use to being along with the CAA. I would probably say the SoCon is overall about the 4th or 5th best conference in FCS this year behind MVFC, Big Sky, CAA, and maybe the OVC if EIU can replace Garoppolo and come close to what they did last year.

We did win the socon. We don't have any above average wrs returning. We did sign the best group of skill players in America this year but we will see how they are used.

blackbeard
July 2nd, 2014, 12:41 PM
Your best next level player is Martinez. He is the best returning OL in the NEC and someone who I think deserves more mention than he is getting. I would also put Gordon Hill as a player worthy of mention.

Moore is a good player but he just didn't dominate in the Fordham tape and had most of his numbers against the weak teams. He is good but not elite. After comparing him to Mau, Lott, Williams, etc. I would say he deserves to be ranked among the top 10 DTs in the country but just not quite top 5.

Can't argue with your assessment of each mentioned. Spence isn't as quick or as explosive as some of the others, but he is probably the most physical. Agree with you on Martinez and Hill, two outstanding and underrated players, both of whom also have the skills and size at their position to play at the next level. Hill is just a special kid, playmaker and great all around person.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2014, 01:18 PM
We did win the socon. We don't have any above average wrs returning. We did sign the best group of skill players in America this year but we will see how they are used.

You tied for it and didn't get the autobid. You know what I meant! UTC has to win the league outright and post a double digit regular season win total before they can even think about being among the top 5 or 10 teams in the country. Even then you need to win at least 2 or 3 playoff games before the thought of being the best in FCS should enter your mind. Proof is in the pudding and so far you have zero playoff appearances in the last 5 years and zero SoCon autobids.

With that said, I think you end the trend this year. I think UTC will make playoffs. If you guys don't win at least 9 games then you underachieved badly.

chattownmocs
July 2nd, 2014, 01:23 PM
You tied for it and didn't get the autobid. You know what I meant! UTC has to win the league outright and post a double digit regular season win total before they can even think about being among the top 5 or 10 teams in the country. Even then you need to win at least 2 or 3 playoff games before the thought of being the best in FCS should enter your mind. Proof is in the pudding and so far you have zero playoff appearances in the last 5 years and zero SoCon autobids.

With that said, I think you end the trend this year. I think UTC will make playoffs. If you guys don't win at least 9 games then you underachieved badly.

Well be in the playoffs. And even if we get there this might not be close to the best team huesman has had. You said we had the best skill players in the socon which is highly doubtful. Thats why I said if. The truth is that the skill positions are not what separates us from the other teams in the conference. QB and defense.

BISON Thunder
July 2nd, 2014, 01:50 PM

If memory serves, Furman had a very young team last year. After UNI and Kansas State, Furman was the best team NDSU played. Am I missing something, or did they lose more players than I thought they would from last year's team?

BEAR
July 2nd, 2014, 01:56 PM
"Oh, no!!!! We suck again!!!" ;)

When the SLC can win a natty in this century... then we'll stop saying we suck. xlolx

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2014, 02:04 PM
If memory serves, Furman had a very young team last year. After UNI and Kansas State, Furman was the best team NDSU played. Am I missing something, or did they lose more players than I thought they would from last year's team?

Furman has a good team coming back. I think they are the only team that could beat out UTC for the SoCon title, unless Samford's new QB is very talented or Wofford can bounce back from a tough 2013 season. With those two key players kicked off the team recently I do think Furman received a hard blow and was weakened a little bit.

McNeese72
July 2nd, 2014, 02:36 PM
When the SLC can win a natty in this century... then we'll stop saying we suck. xlolx

I'd love to just win a playoff game. :)

Panther88
July 2nd, 2014, 03:03 PM
I cannot view the list. Does one have to register to view it???????

BisonFan02
July 2nd, 2014, 03:07 PM

Even this year, Crockett will have a tough time piling up the stats to make an AA list. The Bison are loaded at RB with Crockett, Morlock, Frazier, and Anderson....tough to do in their 2-3 back system.

BisonFan02
July 2nd, 2014, 03:09 PM
DJ was the best RB the Bison saw last year (yes...in my opinion, including the natty), but he has to stay healthy.

clenz
July 2nd, 2014, 03:25 PM
DJ was the best RB the Bison saw last year (yes...in my opinion, including the natty), but he has to stay healthy.
It's not like he's injury prone.

He suffered a hip flexor and that's been his only injury of his career.

BisonFan02
July 2nd, 2014, 03:36 PM

He suffered a hip flexor and that's been his only injury of his career.

Not saying injury prone....just needs to stay healthy for the full season to put up the numbers. I will have to go back and look what he did pre/post Bison game.

knucklehead
July 2nd, 2014, 04:00 PM
I don't know if you just missed them or what but Seniors Nick Sigmon (LB) and Jacob Hagen (S) from Liberty belong at least on the second team.

RabidRabbit
July 2nd, 2014, 04:31 PM
UNI's D. Johnson for RB, prior to injury was a beast. What he did to ISU Clowns last year was astounding.

Zenner is deceptively quick. He's a burner after thru the line. But he also does well carrying 2/3 tacklers for extra yardage also. When the O-line gives him that off tackle trap into the 2ndary he's burned many a team, like NU Huskers, and most FCS teams. Need the QB to nailing the passes so that SDSU doesn't try to ride ONLY ZZ for gains. Sumner was the Frosh #3 Newcomer, and is now in his senior season. Sumner needs a break-out performance year (even though he led the MVFC QB statistically last year).

Jacks have been 28-11 vs FCS, except NDSU, in last 4 years. NDSU has been the thorn in the Rabbits side for years.

lionsrking2
July 2nd, 2014, 06:01 PM
UNI's D. Johnson for RB, prior to injury was a beast. What he did to ISU Clowns last year was astounding.

Zenner is deceptively quick. He's a burner after thru the line. But he also does well carrying 2/3 tacklers for extra yardage also. When the O-line gives him that off tackle trap into the 2ndary he's burned many a team, like NU Huskers, and most FCS teams. Need the QB to nailing the passes so that SDSU doesn't try to ride ONLY ZZ for gains. Sumner was the Frosh #3 Newcomer, and is now in his senior season. Sumner needs a break-out performance year (even though he led the MVFC QB statistically last year).

Jacks have been 28-11 vs FCS, except NDSU, in last 4 years. NDSU has been the thorn in the Rabbits side for years.

Lion Nation has an immense amount of respect for Zack Zenner ... best FCS RB we've faced since bringing football back IMO.

clenz
July 2nd, 2014, 06:18 PM
Not saying injury prone....just needs to stay healthy for the full season to put up the numbers. I will have to go back and look what he did pre/post Bison game.

Pre
74 carries
549 yards
7.4 yards per carry
4 TD
3 100 yard games
16 receptions
208 yards
4 TD
4 Games played

595 yards
4.5 yards per carry
5 TD
3 150 yard plus games
21 receptions
162 yards receiving
6 games with 2 playing less than 15 snaps total and missed 1

Was he less effective? Yes, yet he still managed 3 150 yard games (156 161 and 181) with a QB who is worse that throwing than Rennie was (remember him?).

Houndawg
July 3rd, 2014, 04:04 PM

Trivia: Harbaugh from the 49ers went to a camp to check out Garoppolo and signed Kory Faulkner who was throwing at the same camp.

smallcollegefbfan
July 3rd, 2014, 06:32 PM
Trivia: Harbaugh from the 49ers went to a camp to check out Garoppolo and signed Kory Faulkner who was throwing at the same camp.

I had heard that. That's another case of coaches coming in very late during the process and falling in love with a good workout from a player whose tape is not NFL caliber.

Faulkner is a good size passer who can run but he isn't very accurate, didn't play well consistently (only flashes) and is more impressive in shorts and a pro day workout than on tape. I only put a fourth round grade on Garoppolo but I had a tryout grade on Faulkner.

You can look at the stats to compare and see they aren't even close:

Faulkner
Measurements- 6'3, 229
Workout numbers- 4.7 40, 19 reps, 32 VJ, 9'7 BJ, 4.40 short shuttle, 7.26 3-cone, 1.65 10-yard
Stats- 1,997 yards, 18 TDs, 4 INTs, 60.7%, 237 rushing yards, 2 TDs

Garoppolo
Measurements- 6'2, 226
Workout numbers- 4.9 40, 1.78 10-yard, 30 1/2 VJ, 9'2 BJ, 4.26 short shuttle, 7.04 3-cone
Stats- 5,050 yards, 53 TDs, 9 INTs, 66%, 62 rushing yards, 4 TDs

As you can see, Faulkner is a better athlete, which shows on tape but nowhere near as good as a football player. Too bad for Faulkner that the game is not played in workout shorts.

Here is how the 49ers QB competition is looking:

1. Colin Kaepernick- From Nevada. 2nd round pick. Franchise QB.
2. Blaine Gabbert- From Missouri, former 1st round pick. Likely to be the backup.
3a. McLeod Bethel-Thompson- He is from Sacramento State. I gave him a free agent grade coming out. Has been a journeyman backup.
3b. Josh Johnson- Went to San Diego. Former draft pick by Bucs. Played for Harbaugh at USD.
5. Kory Faulkner- UDFA from SIU.

We both know that Kap and Gabbert have a roster spot and I suspect that Johnson ends up #3 with MBT or Faulkner on the practice squad, at best. If the 49ers want a guy on the practice squad though then Faulkner has the advantage because none of the top 3 are eligible and I am not sure if MBT is.

I think Faulkner is going to end up having a very good career in a secondary league though because he can run and has a better arm than the average AFL or CFL QB.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 3rd, 2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks BT! I will say this though, IMO, it was tough for me to see 'clear cut' all-americans from the upcoming Bison team like you had with Jensen, Olsen, Turner…etc

No Bison player will have 'gaudy' stats like most players on AA teams. RB by committee, QBs that are winners but don't have the huge passing stats, defense that just shuts people down and plays like a TEAM..... etc......

underdawg
July 3rd, 2014, 10:25 PM
I had heard that. That's another case of coaches coming in very late during the process and falling in love with a good workout from a player whose tape is not NFL caliber.

Faulkner is a good size passer who can run but he isn't very accurate, didn't play well consistently (only flashes) and is more impressive in shorts and a pro day workout than on tape. I only put a fourth round grade on Garoppolo but I had a tryout grade on Faulkner.

You can look at the stats to compare and see they aren't even close:

Faulkner
Measurements- 6'3, 229
Workout numbers- 4.7 40, 19 reps, 32 VJ, 9'7 BJ, 4.40 short shuttle, 7.26 3-cone, 1.65 10-yard
Stats- 1,997 yards, 18 TDs, 4 INTs, 60.7%, 237 rushing yards, 2 TDs

Garoppolo
Measurements- 6'2, 226
Workout numbers- 4.9 40, 1.78 10-yard, 30 1/2 VJ, 9'2 BJ, 4.26 short shuttle, 7.04 3-cone
Stats- 5,050 yards, 53 TDs, 9 INTs, 66%, 62 rushing yards, 4 TDs

As you can see, Faulkner is a better athlete, which shows on tape but nowhere near as good as a football player. Too bad for Faulkner that the game is not played in workout shorts.

Here is how the 49ers QB competition is looking:

1. Colin Kaepernick- From Nevada. 2nd round pick. Franchise QB.
2. Blaine Gabbert- From Missouri, former 1st round pick. Likely to be the backup.
3a. McLeod Bethel-Thompson- He is from Sacramento State. I gave him a free agent grade coming out. Has been a journeyman backup.
3b. Josh Johnson- Went to San Diego. Former draft pick by Bucs. Played for Harbaugh at USD.
5. Kory Faulkner- UDFA from SIU.

We both know that Kap and Gabbert have a roster spot and I suspect that Johnson ends up #3 with MBT or Faulkner on the practice squad, at best. If the 49ers want a guy on the practice squad though then Faulkner has the advantage because none of the top 3 are eligible and I am not sure if MBT is.

I think Faulkner is going to end up having a very good career in a secondary league though because he can run and has a better arm than the average AFL or CFL QB.

I think you are wrong Mr. Expert

smallcollegefbfan
July 4th, 2014, 07:35 AM
I think you are wrong Mr. Expert

The stats and workout numbers I posted are facts. The depth chart there are facts. I'm guessing you are saying Faulkner will make it in the NFL and surpass those who have been established? Correct? Tell me what I'm wrong about and what makes you think differently on this?

If there is a NFL developmental league then I think he could end up in the NFL as a #2 or #3 on the depth chart two or three years from now but I think he gets cut by the 49ers this year.

If you are saying Faulkner is going to make it and is better than Garoppolo then you are saying the Senior Bowl, Shrine, NFLPA, NFL Combine, all 32 NFL teams, and every media member is wrong as well. I'm not saying all of them are always right but Faulkner was signed by the 49ers because of a workout while nobody in the NFL sees him as better than Jimmy Garoppolo. You are also saying everyone in the FCS is wrong because Garoppolo was the Walter Payton Award winner as well and Faulkner wasn't even on the HM All-MVFC list.

Houndawg
July 4th, 2014, 08:58 AM
I think that Harbaugh saw a good athlete from a school that has been under-coaching talent lately. He might surprise with NFL coaching, like Jayson DiManche did.

bjtheflamesfan
July 4th, 2014, 09:04 AM
http://footballgameplan.com/fbgps-2014-preseason-fcs-all-american-team/

Good morning AGS! Here's my Preseason FCS All-American Team! Feel free to dissect :)

Enjoy!

Em

No love for Nick Sigmon or Jacob Hagen from Liberty?

smallcollegefbfan
July 4th, 2014, 09:15 AM
I think that Harbaugh saw a good athlete from a school that has been under-coaching talent lately. He might surprise with NFL coaching, like Jayson DiManche did.

For the record, I put a 7th round grade on DiManche. He was just a late bloomer who got on the NFL radar heavily in the middle of his senior year. He should have been in the NFLPA Bowl and taken in the 7th round but he was overlooked by those outside of the NFL. I really liked Jayson and thought he had a shot to be a solid developmental prospect who would have a decent NFL career. If Jayson had one more year in college I think he would have blown up and been a mid round pick, Senior Bowl invite, etc. He was just a year later than you like in development. He had the raw athleticism but didn't fill out the frame until his senior year.

QB is a position where you have less spots and don't have quite the same time to develop players. Without a developmental league I think Faulkner will struggle to make it in the NFL. If this developmental league I keep hearing about is running this fall then I think he ends up there and is on a 53-man roster in the NFL two years from now. Without that then I don't think he will be more than a 1 or 2 year practice squad player.

You still didn't say exactly what you think Faulkner will do in his career? Do you think he will make the 49ers 53-man roster or practice squad this year?

smallcollegefbfan
July 4th, 2014, 09:17 AM
No love for Nick Sigmon or Jacob Hagen from Liberty?

Sigmon is a snub but safety is so deep that I could see going either way with Hagen. This is the best safety class I have ever seen in FCS. My #4 safety would be #1 in some years.

bjtheflamesfan
July 4th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Nick is a real lunchpail kinda guy. picked him up from just down 460 at Northside High School (where we are targeting Chance Hall as well), been an unbelievable playmaker for us from the first time he stepped onto the field...probably will go down as top 3-5 linebacker in school history (maybe #1) IMO and with a good senior campaign, may find himself on a few pro radars too (also IMO)

smallcollegefbfan
July 4th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Nick is a real lunchpail kinda guy. picked him up from just down 460 at Northside High School (where we are targeting Chance Hall as well), been an unbelievable playmaker for us from the first time he stepped onto the field...probably will go down as top 3-5 linebacker in school history (maybe #1) IMO and with a good senior campaign, may find himself on a few pro radars too (also IMO)

Sigmon needs a big senior year and needs to show improved speed. I have him down as a 4.9 estimate so he definitely needs to play a step faster but no question he is among the top 10 FCS LBs when you stack them nationally.

Hagen has a better shot at the NFL as of right now. He is 6'3, 206 and ran in the low 4.6s for scouts this past spring. There is no reason Hagen should not be able to run a 4.5 with some training.

bjtheflamesfan
July 4th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Nick hasn't been a real speed guy for us...what makes him so good is his ability to always put himself in the right place to make a play. I'm reminded of the PC game in I think 2011. he and Scott Hyland made I think three straight huge stops on the final drive in the second overtime after Chris Summers had that epic 50-50 ball with Justin Bethel. Like I said, he is a blue collar lunchpail type player for us

Houndawg
July 4th, 2014, 01:34 PM
For the record, I put a 7th round grade on DiManche. He was just a late bloomer who got on the NFL radar heavily in the middle of his senior year. He should have been in the NFLPA Bowl and taken in the 7th round but he was overlooked by those outside of the NFL. I really liked Jayson and thought he had a shot to be a solid developmental prospect who would have a decent NFL career. If Jayson had one more year in college I think he would have blown up and been a mid round pick, Senior Bowl invite, etc. He was just a year later than you like in development. He had the raw athleticism but didn't fill out the frame until his senior year.

QB is a position where you have less spots and don't have quite the same time to develop players. Without a developmental league I think Faulkner will struggle to make it in the NFL. If this developmental league I keep hearing about is running this fall then I think he ends up there and is on a 53-man roster in the NFL two years from now. Without that then I don't think he will be more than a 1 or 2 year practice squad player.

You still didn't say exactly what you think Faulkner will do in his career? Do you think he will make the 49ers 53-man roster or practice squad this year?

He's already passed what I thought would happen. I don't think he's as good as Nick Hill.

bjtheflamesfan
July 4th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Would be interesting to have a "minor league" for the NFL. question I have is when that could take place...

smallcollegefbfan
July 4th, 2014, 02:04 PM
He's already passed what I thought would happen. I don't think he's as good as Nick Hill.

Well he hasn't done anything yet except get in a camp. I don't think he makes their roster. He's a good athlete and that's why he got signed. He just doesn't have the passing skills to play in the NFL. He would be a dominant CFL or AFL player, or even dominant in a developmental league.

- - - Updated - - -

Would be interesting to have a "minor league" for the NFL. question I have is when that could take place...

I'm hearing we could see one this fall. There is an attempt to get one started as we speak.

bjtheflamesfan
July 4th, 2014, 02:19 PM
So you would have this NFL minor league, college football and the NFL proper all playing at once...saturation much?

underdawg
July 4th, 2014, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE=SmallCollegeFBFan;2119731]Well he hasn't done anything yet except get in a camp. I don't think he makes their roster. He's a good athlete and that's why he got signed. He just doesn't have the passing skills to play in the NFL. He would be a dominant CFL or AFL player, or even dominant in a developmental league.

Oh? what was your take on SIU's RB Jewel Hampton? Say he had no chance to still be on the 2014 49ers roster too?

- - - Updated - - -

smallcollegefbfan
July 4th, 2014, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=SmallCollegeFBFan;2119731]Well he hasn't done anything yet except get in a camp. I don't think he makes their roster. He's a good athlete and that's why he got signed. He just doesn't have the passing skills to play in the NFL. He would be a dominant CFL or AFL player, or even dominant in a developmental league.

Oh? what was your take on SIU's RB Jewel Hampton? Say he had no chance to still be on the 2014 49ers roster too?

- - - Updated - - -

The only reason he did not get drafted was he had medical concerns. I had him as a good priority free agent. He was a talented player who transferred from FBS. He's been a backup in the NFL and didn't have any stats for the 49ers last year, that I remember? When I first saw you mention his name I believed he went to the NFL Combine and just checked and indeed he did. He came out early and I thought his durability would keep him from lasting a long time but figured he would bounce around a few years because he was very talented before the injuries. He's exactly what you figure he would be as a NFL journeyman type guy. If not for the injuries he would have been a long time NFL player, in my opinion.

Hampton got cut last year and then was resigned as a camp body. I would be surprised if he makes the 53 man roster. I don't see how he can make the 53 man roster because of Lattimore, Hyde, Gore, and Hunter. You know they won't cut Lattimore, Hyde, or Gore. He's competing with Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James, both who played with the 49ers last year and are ahead of him on their depth chart. Hampton will need a great preseason to have any shot at making the 53 man roster or practice squad.

To me, a NFL player is someone who is on the 53 man roster and plays. A NFL journeyman is someone who bounces on a practice squad a couple of years or is brought in for a few weeks because injuries deplete a team.

I like Agnew better than Hampton just because he's a little more explosive and doesn't have the warn treads on the tires that Hampton had. Remember, Hampton left Iowa because of injuries and getting lost in the depth chart.

The one SIU player who has surprised me in the last 5-6 years is David Pickard. He was very good as a sophomore and was getting NFL looks but he really got worse and worse over time. He went from a guy who should have been a draft pick to someone I rejected completely as a senior.

As for players getting on rosters, there are hundreds of players who are on a roster right now as a camp body purely and won't be a NFL player in about 8 or 9 weeks. Most NFL teams only have about 65-70 players of their 90 who really will have a legit shot at making it due to the numbers game. I think Faulkner makes it to the 2nd cut depending on his performance in the preseason games.

smallcollegefbfan
July 4th, 2014, 04:44 PM
So you would have this NFL minor league, college football and the NFL proper all playing at once...saturation much?

If you Google it, there is talk about having a league that plays during the weekdays early in the fall. They would finish up by mid season for the NFL when injuries start to mount and the top players from it would be the ones who NFL teams would sign. It looks to be a done deal to happen.

Here is an article from it I read a while back: http://pro32.ap.org/article/new-developmental-league-launching-fall

underdawg
July 4th, 2014, 10:00 PM
Look I agree that Faulkner is a long shot. I was irritated by your inference that he was just some athlete in shorts not a real football player---I think that kind of insults guys like Harbaugh and the 49ers OC who praised Faulkner--you think they are mindless idiots who know nothing about evaluating players?

Houndawg
July 5th, 2014, 07:12 AM
[QUOTE=underdawg;2119735]

The only reason he did not get drafted was he had medical concerns. I had him as a good priority free agent. He was a talented player who transferred from FBS. He's been a backup in the NFL and didn't have any stats for the 49ers last year, that I remember? When I first saw you mention his name I believed he went to the NFL Combine and just checked and indeed he did. He came out early and I thought his durability would keep him from lasting a long time but figured he would bounce around a few years because he was very talented before the injuries. He's exactly what you figure he would be as a NFL journeyman type guy. If not for the injuries he would have been a long time NFL player, in my opinion.

Hampton got cut last year and then was resigned as a camp body. I would be surprised if he makes the 53 man roster. I don't see how he can make the 53 man roster because of Lattimore, Hyde, Gore, and Hunter. You know they won't cut Lattimore, Hyde, or Gore. He's competing with Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James, both who played with the 49ers last year and are ahead of him on their depth chart. Hampton will need a great preseason to have any shot at making the 53 man roster or practice squad.

To me, a NFL player is someone who is on the 53 man roster and plays. A NFL journeyman is someone who bounces on a practice squad a couple of years or is brought in for a few weeks because injuries deplete a team.

I like Agnew better than Hampton just because he's a little more explosive and doesn't have the warn treads on the tires that Hampton had. Remember, Hampton left Iowa because of injuries and getting lost in the depth chart.

The one SIU player who has surprised me in the last 5-6 years is David Pickard. He was very good as a sophomore and was getting NFL looks but he really got worse and worse over time. He went from a guy who should have been a draft pick to someone I rejected completely as a senior.

As for players getting on rosters, there are hundreds of players who are on a roster right now as a camp body purely and won't be a NFL player in about 8 or 9 weeks. Most NFL teams only have about 65-70 players of their 90 who really will have a legit shot at making it due to the numbers game. I think Faulkner makes it to the 2nd cut depending on his performance in the preseason games.

SIU has had some horrible o line coaching recently. One of my peeves about Lennon was his being too loyal to assistants that weren't producing.

smallcollegefbfan
July 5th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Look I agree that Faulkner is a long shot. I was irritated by your inference that he was just some athlete in shorts not a real football player---I think that kind of insults guys like Harbaugh and the 49ers OC who praised Faulkner--you think they are mindless idiots who know nothing about evaluating players?

I just said Faulkner is a better athlete than football player. With his workout numbers you would think he is a better player than he is because he tests better than most. I didn't say he was a bad player but just not as good as Garoppolo. Harbaugh had no reason to take a QB in the 1st or 2nd round so saying he chose Faulkner over Garoppolo really isn't true either. Had Garoppolo gone undrafted he would have chosen him but he didn't have that choice and he never would have because Garoppolo had no shot of getting out of the 3rd round.

I know Baalke and Harbaugh and I know both of them are good evaluators. I also know that even the best teams in the NFL (Patriots, Steelers, 49ers, Seahawks, etc.) make some bad draft picks.

Look at the Seahawks. They took Mark LeGree ahead of Richard Sherman. Nobody is busting their balls for that pick. Or how about the fact they chose Garrett Scott of Marshall over Josh Wells this year in the draft and Scott had a medical condition that they somehow missed while everyone else had him as a free agent based on talent alone. I think the Seahawks picked the wrong player regardless of the medical.

49ers have picked a lot of players in the last few years who aren't good. Most of their draft picks have been good but they have a had a few bad ones.

When you look at their roster, it's hard to imagine that Faulkner can make it. If he plays in that new developmental league he could develop into a backup for a few years but there are still several small schoolers like Jeff Mathews, Dustin Vaughan, Brock Jensen, etc. who I rated above him and would go with ahead of him. With that said, Faulkner and Jensen really don't have a big NFL arm. They are secondary league type players. Mathews and Vaughan have the NFL arms and are more likely to last.