PDA

View Full Version : Superdome Discusses Replacing Grambling in Bayou Classic

TexasTerror
June 19th, 2014, 07:02 AM
NEW ORLEANS - Managers of the Mercedes-Benz Superdome have discussed the possibility of replacing Grambling as the annual opponent for Southern in the Bayou Classic.

Citing low attendance in recent years, the group said it is possible that Grambling could be replaced by another team, either a team that would play yearly, or the opponent could alternate yearly.

"If Grambling has fallen off that bad, maybe Southern could take the lead and it could be an earned-in game and bring in somebody else," said Robert Bruno, the commissioner of the LSED. "I just don't know if Grambling can carry the load."

Grambling has finished with records of 1-10 and 1-11 the past two years. Even when Grambling was very successful, the game usually featured a much larger crowd of Southern fans.

Full Story (http://www.wwltv.com/sports/Could-Grambling-be-replaced-in-Bayou-Classic-263718991.html)

813Jag
June 19th, 2014, 07:14 AM
gonna wait a bit before I really comment

DFW HOYA
June 19th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Why does this read like a means to stir up the GSU fan base and less about the issue at hand?

In theory, SU could make the Classic a bowl game of sorts. But given the timing of the I-AA playoffs and the HBCU traditions involved, it's unlikely to go in that direction.

walliver
June 19th, 2014, 08:47 AM
An "earned-in" game makes no sense unless the SWAC wants to give up its championship game, or the MEAC wants to drop out of the playoffs, neither of which appears likely.

Despite the current football disaster at Grambling, Grambling still has more name recognition among the general football public than any other HBCU.

A "Southern plays some random SWAC team in the SuperDome once a year Classic" may put a few more butts in seats but will make the TV rights much less desirable/marketable.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 19th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Another idea bandied about for the game would be moving it from the traditional spot on Thanksgiving weekend to the season's opening weekend.

The most interesting quote in the article was the one not mentioned by TT.

Moving the Bayou Classic to opening day weekend could make the SWAC be able to eradicate their championship game and join the FCS playoffs.

FormerPokeCenter
June 19th, 2014, 09:14 AM
The "Bayou Classic" was conceptualized by Collie Nicholson, then the Grambling SID who was - frankly - a marketing genius who made Grambling and Eddie Robinson into a name brand by taking them to play in New York, Chicago and overseas...

Without Grambling, there is no "Bayou Classic." Beyond that, game doesn't belong to the Super Dome, it belongs to Grambling and Southern. This is a stupid story, posted by a guy who's got a hard on for posting negative information about SWAC schools....

I guess getting rejected for a job with a SWAC SID department STILL stings...

DFW HOYA
June 19th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Without Grambling, there is no "Bayou Classic." Beyond that, game doesn't belong to the Super Dome, it belongs to Grambling and Southern. This is a stupid story, posted by a guy who's got a hard on for posting negative information about SWAC schools....

Unless...Southern wants to shop this brand to the so-called PWC schools. Could Southern vs. Maryland or Southern vs. UCLA to open the season at the Dome be in the long range plans?

813Jag
June 19th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Unless...Southern wants to shop this brand to the so-called PWC schools. Could Southern vs. Maryland or Southern vs. UCLA to open the season at the Dome be in the long range plans?
I doubt that highly, without Grambling the Bayou Classic is dead. Southern played Northwestern St in New Orleans once and the game didn't have a great turnout. Although I'd be open to having a season opening game at the Dome between Southern and an FCS team. Southern played Jackson State in New Orleans for three years during the early 2000's and although that game draws well in Baton Rouge and Jackson, the feeling of the game wasn't the same in New Orleans. The only HBCU that will put butts in the seats in NOLA is FAMU but of course that's out with the current time frame of the game. All this leads to another question, what would you do with Southern vs Grambling? That game is still too big for a home and home.

813Jag
June 19th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Just wanted to add I don't think Grambling's Bayou Classic attendance has fallen off that much, I think the biggest drop has come from Southern fans during the late Richardson/Stump Mitchell days.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 19th, 2014, 10:18 AM
The only HBCU that will put butts in the seats in NOLA is FAMU but of course that's out with the current time frame of the game.

Not if you move it to opening weekend.

clenz
June 19th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Racism...

APR...

BIGGEST CROWDS EVER!

DFW HOYA
June 19th, 2014, 10:27 AM
From 2012:

"If you're not winning football games, people are not enthused about you," Smith insisted. "So, the main thing is if Southern and Grambling want to get more people at the Bayou Classic, they have to win football games."

http://www.wafb.com/story/20154185/bayou-classic-will-the-fans-come-back

FormerPokeCenter
June 19th, 2014, 10:31 AM
From the article posted by DFW Hoya:

<<Jaguars fan Daryl Lights said he stopped going for a while, but started back because of his daughter's interest. Family reunions have been a big part of this holiday event, but Lights said families that lived in New Orleans left after Katrina and didn't return. He added he believes the primary issue is a tough economy.
"When you say 'Bayou Classic' people think, 'I'm going to get me a new outfit,'" Lights explained with a laugh. "Some people buy a new outfit to go to the Bayou Classic, instead of buying one to go to church.">>

I know that's right! Walking through the SuperDome during the Bayou Classic is like going to a fashion show....Most EVERYBODY is dressed to the nines..

TexasTerror
June 19th, 2014, 10:53 AM

This is a very significant news story in FCS. This rivalry game - while not what it used to be by any stretch - is the one that most "Joe Fans" in the country are more familiar with as it relates to FCS schools with perhaps the sole exception of Harvard v Yale. Any change to this game that impacts this rivalry game is a big news story in the world of FCS football, could have significant impact on HBCU football (majority of which is played at FCS level) especially if it changes opponents for Southern and a major TV deal that impacts two schools (Grambling & Southern).

I have never applied for a job in a SWAC SID department.

Not if you move it to opening weekend.

There has been talk that the Superdome could host another game in the city similar to what we've seen in Atlanta, Houston and a few other markets. This is now allowed with the Tulane situation and the Superdome's desire to continue to host major college football outside of the Sugar Bowl, whatever FBS ties-in they have.

- - - Updated - - -

Sports Network now on it...

New Orleans, LA (SportsNetwork.com) - Organizers of the Bayou Classic reportedly have considered dropping Grambling State as one of the permanent teams in the annual Southwestern Athletic Conference showcase.

WWLTV.com reported managers of the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, the host site for the Bayou Classic, have discussed replacing Grambling as a participant against Southern University, citing low attendance by Grambling fans in recent years. The Thanksgiving weekend event between the two schools turns 41 this year.

"If Grambling has fallen off that bad, maybe Southern could take the lead and it could be an earned-in game and bring in somebody else," Robert Bruno, the commissioner of the Louisiana Stadium and Exposition District, told WWLTV. "I just don't know if Grambling can carry the load."

Grambling has an enrollment of just under 5,000 students, which is smaller than Southern's.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4702624

FormerPokeCenter
June 19th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Spare me.....the only reason you posted this is because you can't wait to post things that you perceive as critical of the SWAC...

And that deep seated hatred stems from either racism or because you're pissed that an employment opportunity with a SWAC school didn't work out...

This is a very significant news story in FCS. This rivalry game - while not what it used to be by any stretch - is the one that most "Joe Fans" in the country are more familiar with as it relates to FCS schools with perhaps the sole exception of Harvard v Yale. Any change to this game that impacts this rivalry game is a big news story in the world of FCS football, could have significant impact on HBCU football (majority of which is played at FCS level) especially if it changes opponents for Southern and a major TV deal that impacts two schools (Grambling & Southern).

I have never applied for a job in a SWAC SID department.

There has been talk that the Superdome could host another game in the city similar to what we've seen in Atlanta, Houston and a few other markets. This is now allowed with the Tulane situation and the Superdome's desire to continue to host major college football outside of the Sugar Bowl, whatever FBS ties-in they have.

- - - Updated - - -

Sports Network now on it...

New Orleans, LA (SportsNetwork.com) - Organizers of the Bayou Classic reportedly have considered dropping Grambling State as one of the permanent teams in the annual Southwestern Athletic Conference showcase.

WWLTV.com reported managers of the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, the host site for the Bayou Classic, have discussed replacing Grambling as a participant against Southern University, citing low attendance by Grambling fans in recent years. The Thanksgiving weekend event between the two schools turns 41 this year.

"If Grambling has fallen off that bad, maybe Southern could take the lead and it could be an earned-in game and bring in somebody else," Robert Bruno, the commissioner of the Louisiana Stadium and Exposition District, told WWLTV. "I just don't know if Grambling can carry the load."

Grambling has an enrollment of just under 5,000 students, which is smaller than Southern's.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4702624

813Jag
June 19th, 2014, 11:15 AM
From the article posted by DFW Hoya:

<<Jaguars fan Daryl Lights said he stopped going for a while, but started back because of his daughter's interest. Family reunions have been a big part of this holiday event, but Lights said families that lived in New Orleans left after Katrina and didn't return. He added he believes the primary issue is a tough economy.
"When you say 'Bayou Classic' people think, 'I'm going to get me a new outfit,'" Lights explained with a laugh. "Some people buy a new outfit to go to the Bayou Classic, instead of buying one to go to church.">>

I know that's right! Walking through the SuperDome during the Bayou Classic is like going to a fashion show....Most EVERYBODY is dressed to the nines..
can't disagree with that, the first time I took my wife that's what she said about the crowd. Personally I keep it simple.

- - - Updated - - -

Racism...

APR...

BIGGEST CROWDS EVER!
don't see what any of the has to do with this thread.

walliver
June 19th, 2014, 11:31 AM

I don't think this is particularly significant for "FCS".

When fans watch the Bayou Classic, few, if any, think "These two teams are on the same level as NDSU and Davidson" or "This is the same level as Harvard and Yale." Fans see "Black College Football", not "cost-effective Division I." Whatever happens with this game has little to no effect on most FCS teams and conferences (including the MEAC and most of the SWAC).

Yes, both teams participate at FCS level, but all "FCS" really means is "Division I that isn't FBS". The BC is an event that happens to have a football game involved.

Moving this game to any other time of year makes it just another "classic" and the National broadcast TV contract goes away - the game probably ends up on NBC's cable network. New Orleans in late August is not a fun place to party, so a season opening game isn't a good idea. You could still play the game in air conditioning, but the "event" would be dampened.

clenz
June 19th, 2014, 11:39 AM
don't see what any of the has to do with this thread.
It doesn't...but we all know that was going to be brought up at some point so I figured I'd get it out of the way upfront.

813Jag
June 19th, 2014, 11:40 AM

When fans watch the Bayou Classic, few, if any, think "These two teams are on the same level as NDSU and Davidson" or "This is the same level as Harvard and Yale." Fans see "Black College Football", not "cost-effective Division I." Whatever happens with this game has little to no effect on most FCS teams and conferences (including the MEAC and most of the SWAC).

Yes, both teams participate at FCS level, but all "FCS" really means is "Division I that isn't FBS". The BC is an event that happens to have a football game involved.

Moving this game to any other time of year makes it just another "classic" and the National broadcast TV contract goes away - the game probably ends up on NBC's cable network. New Orleans in late August is not a fun place to party, so a season opening game isn't a good idea. You could still play the game in air conditioning, but the "event" would be dampened.
Actually Labor Day weekend would be a great idea for those who like to party. For all the sideshow stuff, that will be there no matter what weekend the game is scheduled. Playing the game early would possibly be able to benefit from the fact that both teams are 0-0.

813Jag
June 19th, 2014, 11:41 AM
It doesn't...but we all know that was going to be brought up at some point so I figured I'd get it out of the way upfront.
gotcha, figured you were stirring the pot. I guess I'm just trying to enjoy the thread before that happens. xlolx

walliver
June 19th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Actually Labor Day weekend would be a great idea for those who like to party. For all the sideshow stuff, that will be there no matter what weekend the game is scheduled. Playing the game early would possibly be able to benefit from the fact that both teams are 0-0.

I was just thinking the weather is much nicer in mid-November than late August. But I guess there is no humid heat that cold beer can't overcome.xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
June 19th, 2014, 11:43 AM

It's an excellent point, however this isn't just a problem with the SWAC. This is an overall branding issue with FCS, where the attitude has tended to be "if you're not a part of the playoffs, you don't exist". The SWAC has elected to operate as a separate entity within the FCS, as has the Ivy League and (until recently) the PFL, and the FCS structure hasn't leaned on the SWAC or Ivy to get with the program and call themselves FCS, nor, even be a part of the true FCS community.

The FCS would be a richer place with an active SWAC and Ivy, and the Ivy and SWAC would be a richer place with better engagement with FCS, so it's extremely frustrating that both sides haven't worked together more to assimilate better into FCS.

813Jag
June 19th, 2014, 11:45 AM
I was just thinking the weather is much nicer in mid-November than late August. But I guess there is no humid heat that cold beer can't overcome.xlolx
the weather is actually pretty hit or miss in New Orleans in November. As long as it's not those $9 Superdome beers xlolx

GAD
June 19th, 2014, 12:17 PM
The "Bayou Classic" was conceptualized by Collie Nicholson, then the Grambling SID who was - frankly - a marketing genius who made Grambling and Eddie Robinson into a name brand by taking them to play in New York, Chicago and overseas...

I agree with everything you posted here, and quite simply there is no Bayou Classic without Southern & Grambling
The Superdome is just the venue that host the game they have and Friday night battle of the band they have nothing else to do with it

MplsBison
June 19th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I agree with everything you posted here, and quite simply there is no Bayou Classic without Southern & Grambling
The Superdome is just the venue that host the game they have and Friday night battle of the band they have nothing else to do with it

So if I understand this correctly, then you're saying that if the Superdown reorganized the game into the "Bayou Kick-off Classic" that pitted Southern against a team from the P5 on the opening weekend of the season -- there would be FEWER Southern fans showing up for the game than do now for the current Bayou Classic against 1-10 Grambling?

I'm not rejecting that. I'm legitimately asking Southern fans. Is that the fact of the matter?

And if so....why?? Do Southern fans really enjoy watching their team beat up on a terrible team because they have a historical uniform on?

I would think they'd be more excited about Southern vs. a Big Ten team on national television to start the season?

813Jag
June 19th, 2014, 12:55 PM
So if I understand this correctly, then you're saying that if the Superdown reorganized the game into the "Bayou Kick-off Classic" that pitted Southern against a team from the P5 on the opening weekend of the season -- there would be FEWER Southern fans showing up for the game than do now for the current Bayou Classic against 1-10 Grambling?

I'm not rejecting that. I'm legitimately asking Southern fans. Is that the fact of the matter?

And if so....why?? Do Southern fans really enjoy watching their team beat up on a terrible team because they have a historical uniform on?

I would think they'd be more excited about Southern vs. a Big Ten team on national television to start the season?

Simple answer, its a rivalry that crosses family lines.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

MplsBison
June 19th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Simple answer, its a rivalry that crosses family lines.

So just for full clarity, are you confirming that regardless of the weekend, there will be fewer Southern fans at the game if it was against your choice of a P5 team (SEC, ACC, B1G, ...) than if it was against a poor Grambling team that doesn't bring many fans to the game?

To me that's bogus.

But ... I understand how fickle and provincial southerners are when it comes to college football.

walliver
June 19th, 2014, 01:41 PM
I don't see a season opening game of a P5 vs Southern (or any FCS team) as compelling entertainment.

LSU vs. SU would fill the dome (mostly with Tigger fans), but wouldn't be the same as a rivalry game. (And LSU would make more money playing an FCS at home).

TexasTerror
June 19th, 2014, 01:56 PM

Hotels wouldn't like it...

Labor Day Weekend is also Southern Decadence. They raise hotel rates for that, just like they do Bayou Classic. Would be taking one good weekend away from the hotels... though both are holiday periods to begin with (Labor Day Weekend, Thanksgiving).

813Jag
June 19th, 2014, 02:01 PM
I don't see a season opening game of a P5 vs Southern (or any FCS team) as compelling entertainment.

LSU vs. SU would fill the dome (mostly with Tigger fans), but wouldn't be the same as a rivalry game. (And LSU would make more money playing an FCS at home).
LSU don't wanna play Tulane in the dome, so you know the desire to play a school that's 15 minutes across town is even less.

813Jag
June 19th, 2014, 02:04 PM
So just for full clarity, are you confirming that regardless of the weekend, there will be fewer Southern fans at the game if it was against your choice of a P5 team (SEC, ACC, B1G, ...) than if it was against a poor Grambling team that doesn't bring many fans to the game?

To me that's bogus.

But ... I understand how fickle and provincial southerners are when it comes to college football.
yes because Southern fans come to games against teams that they have knowledge of, noone is gonna come out in droves to see Southern/Wake Forest (Virgiania, BC) and fans of most of those schools won't travel to New Orleans to see their school play Southern.

bluedog
June 19th, 2014, 02:40 PM

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd69/bluedog_su/MAXX/Pictures/friday-the-movie-image_zps8aef86d7.jpg
DAMMNNNN!!!! Boy you do know a lil sumthin.

Although the origin of it isn't quite right. Not bad for a McNeese Grad. xthumbsupx

FormerPokeCenter
June 19th, 2014, 02:46 PM
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd69/bluedog_su/MAXX/Pictures/friday-the-movie-image_zps8aef86d7.jpg
DAMMNNNN!!!! Boy you do know a lil sumthin.

Although the origin of it isn't quite right. Not bad for a McNeese Grad. xthumbsupx

That version was told to me directly by Collie Nicholson...

What part of it do you disagree with?? ;)

bluedog
June 19th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Spare me.....the only reason you posted this is because you can't wait to post things that you perceive as critical of the SWAC...

And that deep seated hatred stems from either racism or because you're pissed that an employment opportunity with a SWAC school didn't work out...

Damnnn!!! Boy you're on a roll. xthumbsupx

bluedog
June 19th, 2014, 02:53 PM
I doubt that highly, without Grambling the Bayou Classic is dead. Southern played Northwestern St in New Orleans once and the game didn't have a great turnout. Although I'd be open to having a season opening game at the Dome between Southern and an FCS team. Southern played Jackson State in New Orleans for three years during the early 2000's and although that game draws well in Baton Rouge and Jackson, the feeling of the game wasn't the same in New Orleans. The only HBCU that will put butts in the seats in NOLA is FAMU but of course that's out with the current time frame of the game. All this leads to another question, what would you do with Southern vs Grambling? That game is still too big for a home and home.

FAMU fans never got to bayou classic numbers, when we played them in their own backyard for a national title and they had their band.

What makes you think, they would travel all the way to Louisiana, and help fill the super dome?

bluedog
June 19th, 2014, 02:58 PM
That version was told to me directly by Collie Nicholson...

What part of it do you disagree with?? ;)

I have no doubt that it was, but just as Dr. King wasn't the architect of the civil rights movement, and chosen because of his popularity and youth, so goes the real origin of the Bayou Classic.

Bisonoline
June 19th, 2014, 03:01 PM
The origin of the classic is nice. But when an original member isnt able to contribute meaningfully to the original premise then what the point of having the event? If you want the event to still be meaningful then changes need to be made.

FormerPokeCenter
June 19th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Mr. Nicholson wasn't self-aggrandizing. He made sure that his version included going to Eddie Robinson, first, before proceeding further with it. But, Nicholson's the same guy who got Grambling playing games oversees and in major cities...he understood branding before anybody else did...

You guys played before then, obviously...but the pageantry of that event? That's got Mr. Nicholson's signature all over it...

Tell me your version of the Bayou Classic origin.

bluedog
June 19th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Mr. Nicholson wasn't self-aggrandizing. He made sure that his version included going to Eddie Robinson, first, before proceeding further with it. But, Nicholson's the same guy who got Grambling playing games oversees and in major cities...he understood branding before anybody else did...

You guys played before then, obviously...but the pageantry of that event? That's got Mr. Nicholson's signature all over it...

Tell me your version of the Bayou Classic origin.

I didn't say or insinuate anything different of Mr. Nicholson, but I do love the history lesson coming from you. Kind of ironic

RabidRabbit
June 19th, 2014, 03:24 PM
xflaggedx **Wearing Mod Hat*** FPC - Posts, not Posters. Unfortunately TT spotted this WWLT report before I did, or I would have posted. Being a New Orleans Rabbit leaves me watching these, and I detest the fall-off of a competitive game, and the associated marketing.

This game between these old rivals helps both schools in a place where there is a sound collective base. However, it would be a bit like playing UND/NDSU in Twin Cities. Unless enough people make the journey, the host stadium has an interest in increasing their bottom line.

bluedog
June 19th, 2014, 03:28 PM
New Orleans Scores Again With Bayou Classic

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd69/bluedog_su/MAXX/Pictures/AGSBC_zps3823af06.jpg

There is ultimately a winner on the field. This time around, it was Southern. That came as no surprise.

Also no surprise was the impact the 40th Bayou Classic had on the New Orleans area and region.

Estimates have visitors spending nearly 50 million dollars in the city over the weekend with hotels estimated at 80 to 90 percent occupancy with nearly 200,000 visitors in town, based on tourism official estimates.

Southern controlled play from start to finish in a convincing 40-17 victory over Grambling. The Jaguars bolted out to a 27-3 halftime lead and Grambling simply could not overcome it despite a spirited second half effort.

Leonard Tillery led the Jags' attack with 19 carries for 104 yards to help Southern clinch its first winning season since 2009. Wide receiver Lee Doss of St. Augustine was the game's Most Valuable Player with six receptions for 117 yards and three touchdowns. Doss went over the magical 1,000 yard receiving mark and now has 1,047 yards on the season.
- See more at: http://www.sportsnola.com/sports/local-sports-news/southern-news/602481-new-orleans-scores-again-with-bayou-classic.html#sthash.johFm0tM.dpuf

FormerPokeCenter
June 19th, 2014, 03:38 PM
xflaggedx **Wearing Mod Hat*** FPC - Posts, not Posters. Unfortunately TT spotted this WWLT report before I did, or I would have posted. Being a New Orleans Rabbit leaves me watching these, and I detest the fall-off of a competitive game, and the associated marketing.

This game between these old rivals helps both schools in a place where there is a sound collective base. However, it would be a bit like playing UND/NDSU in Twin Cities. Unless enough people make the journey, the host stadium has an interest in increasing their bottom line.

I used MY Mod Hat to remove the Moderation JuJu you used on that previous post. If you'd posted the exact same story, it would've been perfectly fine because your posts aren't fixated on bashing the SWAC...unlike Plotnik...

813Jag
June 19th, 2014, 04:30 PM
FAMU fans never got to bayou classic numbers, when we played them in their own backyard for a national title and they had their band.

What makes you think, they would travel all the way to Louisiana, and help fill the super dome?
Do i think they'll pack the dome? No, but the last two times they drew over 50k in 2011 and over 40k in 2012. It's only a 5 hour drive from Tally to NOLA. But thats neither here nor there cuz Gram isn't going anywhere.

bluedog
June 19th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Do i think they'll pack the dome? No, but the last two times they drew over 50k in 2011 and over 40k in 2012. It's only a 5 hour drive from Tally to NOLA. But thats neither here nor there cuz Gram isn't going anywhere.

That's like saying Jackson State draws 60k plus when we play them there, we both know that's not the case.

They get 60k plus because we're the draw and we bring at minimum, half the crowd.

The conversation is about what they would contribute in a game against SU.

As I stated earlier, they have NEVER even remotely come close to those number against us even in a title game in their own backyard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Go Green
June 19th, 2014, 04:56 PM
As long as it's not those $9 Superdome beers xlolx

NINE bucks?

I stopped going to NFL games a decade or so ago when they wanted six bucks for a beer.

number1
June 19th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Just discussing things to get more folks to buy tickets. It would take the perfect set of circumstances to see the Bayou Classic back at the 70,000 level. I do think we will be above 50,000 for the game for this season as long as SU performs as expected, and Grambling makes some improvements with their team. There is no way Folks are still coming to New Orleans, we just have to get them into the stadium. It would help if they don't hold a concert during the game again.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 19th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Here's a thought: Move it back a week to be a part of "FCS Rivalry Week" and have the playoffs hang in the balance.

The Rivalry, Lehigh vs. Lafayette: Still selling out the stadium.

GAD
June 19th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Here's a thought: Move it back a week to be a part of "FCS Rivalry Week" and have the playoffs hang in the balance.

Problem with that is the Bayou Classic brings people in from all around the country for Thanksgiving and Bayou Classic weekend so many of the people that normally attend would not be in town the weekend before thus cutting attendance even more

BluBengal07
June 19th, 2014, 09:42 PM
47,385 fans were at last year's Bayou Classic football game. that's low for that game's average expectations, greatly high for a FCS' game average expectations.

carry on.

GannonFan
June 20th, 2014, 09:01 AM

Well, 1) neither Lehigh nor Lafayette have been a real player on the national stage in FCS for almost a decade now (thinking Lafayette in the early 2000's was probably it) so it's not like the playoffs and the possibility of being in them are really impacting the attendance, and 2) last year's attedance at Goodman was 16,129 - a good crowd, no doubt, but it's easier to sell out Goodman Stadium than it is the SuperDome. Obviously.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 20th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Well, 1) neither Lehigh nor Lafayette have been a real player on the national stage in FCS for almost a decade now (thinking Lafayette in the early 2000's was probably it)

This is some expert trolling right here.

GannonFan
June 20th, 2014, 02:17 PM
This is some expert trolling right here.

#hardtodealwithfacts

MplsBison
June 20th, 2014, 04:59 PM
yes because Southern fans come to games against teams that they have knowledge of, noone is gonna come out in droves to see Southern/Wake Forest (Virgiania, BC) and fans of most of those schools won't travel to New Orleans to see their school play Southern.

Well, like I said that's bogus. A chance to put Southern on the national stage in a meaningful way and SU fans won't buck up because it's not against an HBCU?

I think you also underestimate the attraction of going to the Big Easy for some fanbases. But nonetheless, SU fans would (in theory) be expected to outdraw any P5 team in the Superdome except LSU as one poster said.