PDA

View Full Version : Alvin Banks Status?

mcveyrl
October 25th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Has anybody heard what his status is for Saturday? Perhpas some current Dukes could help me out.

blur2005
October 25th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I don't know if it matters what his status is. If either him or Fenner is backing up Holloman, we have all the depth we need.

mcveyrl
October 25th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I don't know if it matters what his status is. If either him or Fenner is backing up Holloman, we have all the depth we need.

I think Fenner's out (missing the team plane to UNH). Plus, that's a pretty hard hitting D at UR. I'd like to have all the depth we can get.

blur2005
October 25th, 2006, 02:25 PM
I think Fenner is suspended for two games, so that'd be this one, too. So it'd be nice to know if Banks is healthy. But Antoinne Bolton has been pretty good, too, so I'm not worried. Actually, I just checked the JMU depth chart in the Richmond game notes and Bolton is listed at #2 and Banks at #3 behind Holloman.

JMU2004
October 25th, 2006, 02:40 PM
there was an article in the local JMU paper stating that Banks is mostly healthy and will play against UR.

And Bolton has also been impressive.....tiny, but a real burner who hides behind a massive O-Line and squeezes through the line for good yards!

mcveyrl
October 25th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Banks playing will be helpful. We need a bigger guy against UR's D-line to mix it up.

If Fenner had a watch, we'd have a nice little four headed monster, there.

PurpleandGold
October 25th, 2006, 03:54 PM
UR has a mean run defense anchored by Adam Golobowski. I'd feel alot safer with Banks in the mix with Holloman. I'm glad to hear it looks like he'll play. And I agree, if Fenner gets back on the field, I think we could run all day long.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 25th, 2006, 07:14 PM
The depth chart on the preview PDF has Bolton at #2 and Banks at #3... personally I'd like to see Landers get a few more touches possibly at RB... but that isn't going to happen without a third backup QB that isn't redshirting.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 26th, 2006, 02:49 PM
In the Breeze today it said Banks practiced at full speed on Tuesday and he'll be good to go. Holloman practiced easy on Tues also because of a bad ankle. He'll be alright, but he's practicing lightly.

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2006, 02:51 PM
In the Breeze today it said Banks practiced at full speed on Tuesday and he'll be good to go. Holloman practiced easy on Tues also because of a bad ankle. He'll be alright, but he's practicing lightly.

Great news, but I hope Holloman's okay.

Gotta say I miss "The Breeze"! Especially "Darts and Pats"!!:)

th0m
October 26th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Hey you can check the online version of The Breeze - with the Darts and Pats section (under opinion) - at www.thebreeze.org

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 26th, 2006, 06:05 PM
The depth chart on the preview PDF has Bolton at #2 and Banks at #3... personally I'd like to see Landers get a few more touches possibly at RB... but that isn't going to happen without a third backup QB that isn't redshirting.

That sure wasn't the case up in Durham! IIRC Landers played a series at QB as well as a couple plays at WR and maybe even a play at RB. Obviously, I was wondering why they'd risk the backup QB that way. I figured you guys must have been deep at QB. Wow, surprising to hear that the next QB in line is a redshirt candidate!

Longhorn
October 26th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Landers played quite a bit against W&M too, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get more time at WR and RB as the season progresses, especially if JMU makes the playoffs.

It is true that QBs #3 & 4 behind Landers will be redshirted this year if at all possible, but Rascati and Landers are so big and durable that it appears Mickey Matthews is willing to roll the dice a bit and play Landers to get his speed and athleticism on the field, as well as getting him more real-game experience in preparation for next season.

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 26th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Landers played quite a bit against W&M too, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get more time at WR and RB as the season progresses, especially if JMU makes the playoffs.

It is true that QBs #3 & 4 behind Landers will be redshirted this year if at all possible, but Rascati and Landers are so big and durable that it appears Mickey Matthews is willing to roll the dice a bit and play Landers to get his speed and athleticism on the field, as well as getting him more real-game experience in preparation for next season.
Landers will add speed at the QB position. He has been quite impressive.

blur2005
October 26th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Mickey feels compelled to play Landers because Landers is probably the most athlete on the team.

JMUfan2008
October 27th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Through 3 seasons of Rascati running he's seemed very durable and never been afraid of the run (actually at the start of this season he looked to the run before the pass). Rodney is sick...he lived down the hall from me last year along with a couple of the other guys so I've always paid special attention to him, like the what...70 yd TD run last year against Lock Haven. He's an amazing all around athlete so Mickey just wants to play him anywhere he can.

PurpleandGold
October 27th, 2006, 07:12 AM
I know from the few games I've seen this year and the stats sheets that Landers can certainly run, but does anybody know how good an arm he has? He hasn't thrown much when on the field this year from what I've seen.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 27th, 2006, 08:08 AM
The 6 or 7 passes I've seen were all fine, but most of them were screens.

JMU2004
October 27th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Landers is certainly more dangerous with his feet than he is with his arm..... I know he has a live arm, but I've never seen him throw the ball down field, so accuracy is a huge question.

But Landers running the option is nasty.....his fake hand-off ALWAYS sucks the D-End away from containment