PDA

View Full Version : Latest from Fullerton on Vision of Future NCAA Landscape

TexasTerror
June 12th, 2014, 11:40 AM
If Fullerton is right... we may all have to work on our positioning (pending what you'd like to see for your institution of choice).

---

On one hand, Fullerton has a uniquely optimistic view as he’s harped for years that the true financial lines in Division I athletics aren’t drawn at the Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision intersection. For example, according to USA Today, the budget of Texas is more than $165 million, while the budget of fellow FBS member Ball State is about $21 million and FCS member UND is about $22 million.

Fullerton’s longterm vision is that the Power Five separating from the pack could create a regrouping of Division I, in which the top quadrant of the FCS and the bottom quadrant of the FBS become intertwined.

“The schools in that next group of five under the big five, couched themselves in the cloak of the BCS for years,” Fullerton said. “Therefore they were able to lure people away from the FCS. That has caused instability at our level. We’ve tried to figure out a way to actually isolate that top five from the next five. This process has done it. We haven’t been screaming about it because we have encouraged that to occur. We’re not going to be chasing the big five. Having them isolated from the next group begins to put sanity in the divisions.

“We think there is value in the top five being different. The next five is more like us than them. They won’t like to hear me say that, but they are. We’ve already passed them to some extent. Does this bring those schools back over time and meld us together? I hope so. That’s been my vision.”

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-athletics-big-sky-commissioner-looking-ahead-fallout-autonomy-movement

NoDak 4 Ever
June 12th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Fullerton should have gotten more attention when he was a kid.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 12th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Fullerton should have gotten more attention when he was a kid.

?

Someone does an article on the biggest news of the offseason, does an interview with Fullerton presumable about this topic and he answers without mincing words or saving feelings. Not sure he's calling people up to get them to interview him.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 12th, 2014, 12:39 PM
?

Someone does an article on the biggest news of the offseason, does an interview with Fullerton presumable about this topic and he answers without mincing words or saving feelings. Not sure he's calling people up to get them to interview him.

He's the only conference commissioner whose name everybody knows. He uses the off season to make all these grandiose predictions that nobody else even thinks of.

Wasn't it just last year he talked about the whole BSC going FBS?

dewey
June 12th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I think Fullerton said exactly what a LOT of us on here have been saying for quite some time in that there is virtually no difference between the non power 5 FBS teams and the FCS. Not to mention that there are apparently other sports out there than football and men's basketball.

I am all for the Power 5 breaking away and making a semi-pro league. Then the non power 5 conferences and FCS conferences that want to 'move up' to make a new division. The non power 5 conferences won't like it but having your ego hurt is better than going bankrupt trying to match the Power 5 athletic budgets.

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
June 12th, 2014, 12:50 PM
He's the only conference commissioner whose name everybody knows. He uses the off season to make all these grandiose predictions that nobody else even thinks of.

Wasn't it just last year he talked about the whole BSC going FBS?

Which fits into his vision for what may well happen in the future. Take what he said in this article, the next step is going to probably involve the MVFC, BSC, CAA, and possible remnants of other conferences finding some common ground meeting point with the lower 5 FBS conferences.

Hell all we pretty much do is sit around and discuss this stuff so I sure ain't unhappy about seeing someone with some actual knowledge via his job commenting on it.

Of course I completely agree with and have been saying what he is saying for quite a while now so maybe I'm just all happy to have someone with some insight actually saying it.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 12th, 2014, 12:51 PM
I think Fullerton said exactly what a LOT of us on here have been saying for quite some time in that there is virtually no difference between the non power 5 FBS teams and the FCS. Not to mention that there are apparently other sports out there than football and men's basketball.

I am all for the Power 5 breaking away and making a semi-pro league. Then the non power 5 conferences and FCS conferences that want to 'move up' to make a new division. The non power 5 conferences won't like it but having your ego hurt is better than going bankrupt trying to match the Power 5 athletic budgets.

Dewey

Bingo.

walliver
June 12th, 2014, 12:53 PM

Dewey

Most of the G5 would drop football before moving to FCS.

citdog
June 12th, 2014, 01:03 PM
I don't want to be Confederated with the collection of the tallest midgets. We have FINALLY gotten rid of the two schools with the worst case of schmeckle envy ever diagnosed. No interest in ever seeing them again.

Bisonator
June 12th, 2014, 01:14 PM

Dewey

I don't see this happening. The G5 will wallow in their own **** before they ever join forces with the top of FCS.

Fullerton is an idiot. He proved that by adding the rest of the west schools to the BSC.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 12th, 2014, 01:15 PM
I don't see this happening. The G5 will wallow in their own **** before they ever join forces with the top of FCS.

Fullerton is an idiot. He proved that by adding the rest of the west schools to the BSC.

Those bowls are going to dry up pretty quickly once the cache of the BCS bowls wears off. I think the G5 (makes them sound way more cool than they are) will have to make adjustments.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 12th, 2014, 01:32 PM

It's always funny when people think commissioners do these things unilaterally. The BSC schools did this, not Fullerton. Our schools have the vote on the matter. As far as FCS conferences go I think the BSC is doing just fine with our leader so I think he's doing some things right in spite of your obvious learned stance on how the conference should be run.

Bisonator
June 12th, 2014, 02:02 PM
It's always funny when people think commissioners do these things unilaterally. The BSC schools did this, not Fullerton. Our schools have the vote on the matter. As far as FCS conferences go I think the BSC is doing just fine with our leader so I think he's doing some things right in spite of your obvious learned stance on how the conference should be run.

Never said it was entirely his decision. I still think a commissioner should have enough influence to sway people though to make the right decisions. You will never get me to believe the right decision was declining NDSU and SDSU membership and then adding the rest of the west. Especially UND with no travel partner. That was absolutely idiotic and if you want I will include all the BSC school presidents to the idiot list. xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
June 12th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Never said it was entirely his decision. I still think a commissioner should have enough influence to sway people though to make the right decisions. You will never get me to believe the right decision was declining NDSU and SDSU membership and then adding the rest of the west. Especially UND with no travel partner. That was absolutely idiotic and if you want I will include all the BSC school presidents to the idiot list. xlolx

If it all happened in a vacuum like you put forth then I'd agree with you. Not gonna justify anything because you know the timing issues and circumstances but choose to be willfully ignorant on the matter so good for you I guess. Of course having ND with SD isn't optimal, so what? We got scooped on that one so move on as a conference or did you have some other magic way of going about it?

By the way, this does sort of look like you were singling him out with your idiot comment so if you say you didn't say this then I guess you didn't say this.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 12th, 2014, 02:16 PM
People are thinking of the G5 as it stands today, clinging to the P5 and pretending they're a part of the same group. Things could happen where the P5 boots the G5 away, in which case the G5 would have to find other schools to hang out with and compete - in which case, the top levels of FCS makes a lot of sense.

Bisonator
June 12th, 2014, 02:29 PM
If it all happened in a vacuum like you put forth then I'd agree with you. Not gonna justify anything because you know the timing issues and circumstances but choose to be willfully ignorant on the matter so good for you I guess. Of course having ND with SD isn't optimal, so what? We got scooped on that one so move on as a conference or did you have some other magic way of going about it?

By the way, this does sort of look like you were singling him out with your idiot comment so if you say you didn't say this then I guess you didn't say this.

WTF are you talking about "in a vacuum"??? The timing and circumstances speak for themselves. I don't think I'm the ignorant one.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

IBleedYellow
June 12th, 2014, 02:34 PM
What's different here other than it is an FCS Conference commissioner stating it instead of and ESPN or CBS sports writer?

ursus arctos horribilis
June 12th, 2014, 02:35 PM
WTF are you talking about "in a vacuum"??? The timing and circumstances speak for themselves. I don't think I'm the ignorant one.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

All things were not equal as to the timing of NDSU/SDSU vs. the timing of adding the other teams. The landscape and thus attitudes of the presidents had changed dramatically considering what was going on all around them. To act like it was all the same is willful ignorance nator and acting like you have the line on what should have been done from an outsider's perspective is sort of limited.

It wouldn't have been good for you, it wouldn't have been good for the conference but our commissioner is the idiot....got it.xthumbsupx

Bisonator
June 12th, 2014, 02:50 PM
All things were not equal as to the timing of NDSU/SDSU vs. the timing of adding the other teams. The landscape and thus attitudes of the presidents had changed dramatically considering what was going on all around them. To act like it was all the same is willful ignorance nator and acting like you have the line on what should have been done from an outsider's perspective is sort of limited.

It wouldn't have been good for you, it wouldn't have been good for the conference but our commissioner is the idiot....got it.xthumbsupx

Spin it anyway you want there really is no justification for what happened. Even if what you said about the landscape and attitudes changing doesn't make the decisions made the right ones. Oh no things are changing around us we better do something even if it's wrong!xlolx

MplsBison
June 12th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Word on the street is that when Fullerton makes love to his wife, he can't achieve an erection unless his focuses on his principle sexual fantasy: forcing Idaho to rejoin the Big Sky conference in football.

MplsBison
June 12th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Most of the G5 would drop football before moving to FCS.

All of them would. There's not a single team, even at the very bottom rung (Idaho, Eastern Michigan) who would voluntarily join a FCS conference for football.

In their minds, they'd say "we might as well just drop the sport and save the costs rather than play anything but the highest level of football."

MplsBison
June 12th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Those bowls are going to dry up pretty quickly once the cache of the BCS bowls wears off. I think the G5 (makes them sound way more cool than they are) will have to make adjustments.

They already are: starting new bowls that pit G5 v G5. They have found some and will find more partners who will start the bowl game to make the meager advertising statement (compared to bowls with P5 teams in the game) and let the G5 teams take the loss, which they'll be happy to do so long as they get to have a bowl game.

MplsBison
June 12th, 2014, 03:34 PM
People are thinking of the G5 as it stands today, clinging to the P5 and pretending they're a part of the same group. Things could happen where the P5 boots the G5 away, in which case the G5 would have to find other schools to hang out with and compete - in which case, the top levels of FCS makes a lot of sense.

You and Fullerton share the same fantasy, along with several fans of programs at the high end of FCS with nowhere else to go upwards.

You'll have to wait at least 12 years, for the CFP agreement to run its course, before you'll have another crack at it. Until then, the G5 are in the same group. That's what the P5 said, anyway, when they signed the agreement.

dewey
June 12th, 2014, 04:20 PM
So I get that the non power 5 teams wouldn't want to drop to FCS football but what if the NCAA spins it so there is a new second level of football and the FCS would have to increase their scholarships to 85 (current FBS level, right?) in order to join this new level.

Dewey's thought process on NCAA football divisions.

I
Power 5 (semi pro league that only play themselves or with themselvesxlolx)
-They would take over the playoff field and the rest would play in bowl games...
-Assuming 5 conferences (Big 12, Big 10, ACC, SEC and Pac 12)
--Big Ten (Nebraska, MN, Iowa, WI, MSU, U of MI, Purdue, IL, OSU, PSU, IU, Northwestern, Maryland, Rutgers...Cincinnatio, UCONN...others???)
--Big 12 (ISU, OK, OKSU, Texas, TCU, Baylor, WV, KU, KSU...possibly Boise State, Air Force, BYU...others)
--Pac 12 (Oregon, OSU, Washington, WSU, Cal, UCLA, Stanford, USC, AZ, AzSU, Utah, Colorado...possibly Fresno State, Sand Diego State, San Jose State...others???)
---SEC (AL, LSU, Ole Miss, MSU, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Florida, Georgia, TX A&M, MO, Auburn...possibly Louisville, South Florida...others???)
---ACC (FSU, Clemson, Syracuse, BC, Wake Forest, NCSU, UNC, Duke, Va Tech, UVA, Miami FL, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech...possibly UCF, Memphis...others???)
-Possibly increasing conference numbers to 12-16 teams per conference so you have the 'top' 60-80 teams.

II
What is left of FBS and any current FCS teams that want to play at that level.
-Sun Belt, MWC, Conf USA, America East (???) and possibly MAC.
-Possibly the BSC, CAA, Southland and MVFC. Also any current FCS schools that want to pony up the money.
-Make requirements that each school fund 85 scholarships for football.
-I think Boise State, Northern Illinois and other current winning lower schools would get into the Power 5.
-Of course there becomes an instant Title 9 problem with any current FCS school adding 22 scholarship's but that problem can be solved by adding a women's sport.

III
-Current Division 2 and any current FCS schools that do not want to take on the financial obligations to fund more scholarships.

IV
-Current Division 3 schools

V
-Current NAIA schools.

I think there needs to be stipulations that if you participate in one of the levels above that you need to fund all sports to (let's say 75% of the maximum level). Of course I spent about 10 minutes putting this list together so I may have missed some information but I think it is a good start.

My 2 cents.

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
June 12th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Spin it anyway you want there really is no justification for what happened. Even if what you said about the landscape and attitudes changing doesn't make the decisions made the right ones. Oh no things are changing around us we better do something even if it's wrong!xlolx

Well you're wrong and I can't do much about that. Like it or not the BSC is one of the most viable and stable conferences out there at this point so you may have some leftover spurned feelings from previously? I'd have loved to see you guys in back when, I'd still love to see You in now but at the time the west coast schools weren't going for it and if you can't wrap your head around that then too bad I guess.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 12th, 2014, 04:48 PM
So I get that the non power 5 teams wouldn't want to drop to FCS football but what if the NCAA spins it so there is a new second level of football and the FCS would have to increase their scholarships to 85 (current FBS level, right?) in order to join this new level.

I
-They would take over the playoff field and the rest would play in bowl games...
--Big Ten (Nebraska, MN, Iowa, WI, MSU, U of MI, Purdue, IL, OSU, PSU, IU, Northwestern, Maryland, Rutgers...Cincinnatio, UCONN...others???)
--Big 12 (ISU, OK, OKSU, Texas, TCU, Baylor, WV, KU, KSU...possibly Boise State, Air Force, BYU...others)
--Pac 12 (Oregon, OSU, Washington, WSU, Cal, UCLA, Stanford, USC, AZ, AzSU, Utah, Colorado...possibly Fresno State, Sand Diego State, San Jose State...others???)
---SEC (AL, LSU, Ole Miss, MSU, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Florida, Georgia, TX A&M, MO, Auburn...possibly Louisville, South Florida...others???)
---ACC (FSU, Clemson, Syracuse, BC, Wake Forest, NCSU, UNC, Duke, Va Tech, UVA, Miami FL, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech...possibly UCF, Memphis...others???)
-Possibly increasing conference numbers to 12-16 teams per conference so you have the 'top' 60-80 teams.

II
-Possibly the BSC, CAA, Southland and MVFC. Also any current FCS schools that want to pony up the money.
-I think Boise State, Northern Illinois and other current winning lower schools would get into the Power 5.
-Of course there becomes an instant Title 9 problem with any current FCS school adding 22 scholarship's but that problem can be solved by adding a women's sport.

III
-Current Division 2 and any current FCS schools that do not want to take on the financial obligations to fund more scholarships.

IV

V
-Current NAIA schools.

I think there needs to be stipulations that if you participate in one of the levels above that you need to fund all sports to (let's say 75% of the maximum level). Of course I spent about 10 minutes putting this list together so I may have missed some information but I think it is a good start.

My 2 cents.

Dewey

It's been bandied about so often that it's more likely that a new set of rules would happen as opposed to FBS teams dropping to FCS so the fact that some keep putting that ol' chestnut forth is just more intentional subterfuge.

Red & Black
June 12th, 2014, 08:46 PM

Fullerton pretty much assured the continued survival of his own conference and killed the WAC at the same time by adding the rest of the West Coast FCS schools. Smart move on his part...he is far from an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gotts
June 12th, 2014, 08:48 PM
I don't know how any fan of a MVFC team can call Fullerton an idiot before taking a good look at their own conference...

darell1976
June 12th, 2014, 11:42 PM

Why do you care if UND is in the BSC? I know you guys tried to get in (twice) and failed but you have a home and we have a home. It's working out great. UND got to host a BSC tournament and made the dance. Can't beat that. :)

IBleedYellow
June 12th, 2014, 11:56 PM
I don't know how any fan of a MVFC team can call Fullerton an idiot before taking a good look at their own conference...

This x100.

I'd take Fullerton over Viverito any day of the week.

walliver
June 13th, 2014, 07:46 AM
The P5 will not "kick out" the G5 as that would be an antitrust violation. What they will do, however, is make rules that the G5 cannot afford to meet.

The G5 will try to maintain policies that most FCS teams can't afford.

The NCAA needs to get out of the suck association business and let D1 teams play at whatever funding level they want.

MplsBison
June 13th, 2014, 01:03 PM

I

II

III

IV

V
-Current NAIA schools.

My 2 cents.

Dewey

You're just restating the same old fantasy that many FCS enthusiasts have dreamed about for years: forcing the lower end FBS schools into the same (sub-)division as FCS schools.

Hasn't happen.

Won't happen. End

MplsBison
June 13th, 2014, 01:05 PM
The P5 will not "kick out" the G5 as that would be an antitrust violation. What they will do, however, is make rules that the G5 cannot afford to meet.

The G5 will try to maintain policies that most FCS teams can't afford.

The NCAA needs to get out of the suck association business and let D1 teams play at whatever funding level they want.

Any G5 school that can't afford the enhancements that the P5 will enact via autonomy will simply choose not to implement them. As will be their right.

And they'll continue to be in the same (sub-)division as the P5 in football and continue to be within the CFP agreement. Not much more to it than that. It's a simple matter.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2014, 01:14 PM
You're just restating the same old fantasy that many FCS enthusiasts have dreamed about for years: forcing the lower end FBS schools into the same (sub-)division as FCS schools.

Hasn't happen.

Won't happen. End

That would be great. I'd be full on with that as well. If anything does happen it will because the G5 teams need it more than the FCS teams so drop the schtick about focing them cuz that ain't what is being said.

The majority of those schools are gonna be fighting to survive financially much harder than FCS teams will and the beauty of it is the quality of football between the FCS top end and the G5 is negligible at the very most.

MplsBison
June 13th, 2014, 01:17 PM
That would be great. I'd be full on with that as well. If anything does happen it will because the G5 teams need it more than the FCS teams so drop the schtick about focing them cuz that ain't what is being said.

The majority of those schools are gonna be fighting to survive financially much harder than FCS teams will and the beauty of it is the quality of football between the FCS top end and the G5 is negligible at the very most.

And of course, as you know as well as anyone here, the qualify of football being played on the field is the absolute last criteria in consideration.

Any G5 school that wasn't fighting to survive financially in 2013, won't be fighting to survive financially for the next 12 years. None of them will be forced to upgrade any of their scholarships or add any additional costs if they don't choose to implement them.