PDA

View Full Version : Great Education, Great Football

DFW HOYA
June 6th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Thursday's Newark Star-Ledger profiles Rutgers LB Sam Blue. Blue was the fourth player in the last two seasons who was picked up late by a BCS program who took advantage of the fact that Georgetown's financial aid offers are not eligible for the National Letter of Intent.

Will all four be stars at Michigan State, Rutgers, Georgia, and Georgia Tech, respectively? Too soon to tell. Would all four have made an impact at Georgetown? More than likely, and in skill positions that can mean a game or two in the standings. But recruiting attrition takes its toll, and as the Patriot League aims to be more like the CAA on the field than the Ivy, losses like this make a difference.

Of course, we can argue whether Rutgers provides "great football", but in the eyes of recruits, offers matter.

From the Star-Ledger:

"He had previously committed to Georgetown...where he planned to play football and possibly basketball. But after Rutgers coach Kyle Flood offered a scholarship on the visit, Blue changed his mind and committed to the Scarlet Knights on Feb. 2.

"I was committed to Georgetown just because I had a bunch of D-1 AA offers, so I felt like academic-wise, Georgetown was my best option to go and get a great education and further my future," said Blue, a member of the National Honor Society with a 3.72 GPA. "But then once Rutgers offered, it was a great education and great football."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/06/rutgers_freshman_de_sam_blue_stretching_to_reach_h is_potential.html

Lehigh Football Nation
June 6th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Sam Blue was the slam-dunk recruit that was signed away. It sure looked like G'Town put a lot of eggs in that basket, then when Rutgers signed him away, the Hoyas were in trouble.

It's worth mentioning that it wouldn't have been against the rules for Georgetown to offer him merit aid and a full ride, which would have increased the chance that he would have remained a Hoya. However, Rutgers is Big 10 football.

DFW HOYA
June 6th, 2014, 09:47 AM
It's worth mentioning that it wouldn't have been against the rules for Georgetown to offer him merit aid and a full ride, which would have increased the chance that he would have remained a Hoya. However, Rutgers is Big 10 football.

Not sure. This may or may not have been against the rules, in that I don't know how the PL bylaws view a team offering a grant when one does not exist.

Obviously, the budget is the other issue. It's difficult to offer what you do not have.

RichH2
June 6th, 2014, 09:56 AM
No DFW, the current existence of grant money irrelevant to PL or NCAA,as long as the schollie does not exceed max limits. Strictly an internal matter for Hoyas. Additional money or policies can always be modified within the set limits. GU lacks the funds not the room to expand.

citdog
June 6th, 2014, 03:33 PM
I hear you pasty leaguers all making excuses for poor, little old georgetown. HOW is it possible for a school that costs over 62,589 dollars a year per student have money problems?

DFW HOYA
June 6th, 2014, 03:45 PM
HOW is it possible for a school that costs over 62,589 dollars a year per student have money problems?

It spends upwards of $100 million annually in providing need-based aid to more than half the student body. Not an insignificant amount.

heath
June 6th, 2014, 07:16 PM
I hear you pasty leaguers all making excuses for poor, little old georgetown. HOW is it possible for a school that costs over 62,589 dollars a year per student have money problems?
You *****dog would not know a great education if your health and sanity depended upon it.The same can be said about Georgetown football. Your sorry a$$ keeps wondering how can all these young people continue to afford those cars and houses?????????????? Now you knowxnodx

citdog
June 6th, 2014, 07:31 PM
You *****dog would not know a great education if your health and sanity depended upon it.The same can be said about Georgetown football. Your sorry a$$ keeps wondering how can all these young people continue to afford those cars and houses?????????????? Now you knowxnodx

the school that took iverson and ewing bragging about how good they are xlolx

citdog
June 6th, 2014, 07:33 PM
It spends upwards of $100 million annually in providing need-based aid to more than half the student body. Not an insignificant amount.

so those who CAN pay are supporting those who CANNOT in Washington City? seems legit

DFW HOYA
June 6th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Can we put aside the diversionary posts to return to the subject at hand, namely, retention of quality student-athletes?

This isn't Johnny Manziel or Jadaveon Clowney not coming to town, they weren't interested. These are recruits with the academics, the athletics, and the interest, only to be picked off late because the absence of an NLI also means the absence of an offer of admission until April 1. A school cannot participate in the NLI unless it awards an offer of admission and full aid as a result.

It may be simply unavoidable that a Big Ten or an SEC offer in the last week of recruiting (and in some cases, into the spring) trumps an offer at Georgetown. Where this could get messy is where another Patriot school could sweep in and do the exact same thing.

Bisonoline
June 6th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Can we put aside the diversionary posts to return to the subject at hand, namely, retention of quality student-athletes?

This isn't Johnny Manziel or Jadaveon Clowney not coming to town, they weren't interested. These are recruits with the academics, the athletics, and the interest, only to be picked off late because the absence of an NLI also means the absence of an offer of admission until April 1. A school cannot participate in the NLI unless it awards an offer of admission and full aid as a result.

It may be simply unavoidable that a Big Ten or an SEC offer in the last week of recruiting (and in some cases, into the spring) trumps an offer at Georgetown. Where this could get messy is where another Patriot school could sweep in and do the exact same thing.

Dont know when or why they stopped that.

bonarae
June 7th, 2014, 04:14 AM
In many cases, Ivies' recruits stay committed to the schools they verbally committed to, despite us being non-scholarship. But I feel sorry for Georgetown, they couldn't comply with the pressures of the FBS/P5 schools poaching recruits from them. The athletic department needs to re-evaluate their status towards football; they are stuck in limbo. xsmhx

RichH2
June 7th, 2014, 08:03 AM
so those who CAN pay are supporting those who CANNOT in Washington City? seems legit

So your idea is that those who cant afford college cant go as it would be so unfair to those who can afford to pay. Not really a true analogy but is emblematic it seems of today's makers and takers pseudo philosophy,smh (:

RichH2
June 7th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Bisonline
PL schools compete for many of the same recruits and it is not uncommon for kids to switch when given a better offer. FBS cherrypicking not common. Shows how strong GU could be with a change in philosophy.

Bisonoline
June 7th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Bisonline
PL schools compete for many of the same recruits and it is not uncommon for kids to switch when given a better offer. FBS cherrypicking not common. Shows how strong GU could be with a change in philosophy.

It looks as though part of my post didnt make it????

When I played they used to have a conference letter of intent. So when you signed with a team the other teams in the conference had to back off. Dont know why or when they stopped that. Of course you then still had the National Letter of Intent as well at the end of recruiting season.

RichH2
June 7th, 2014, 04:28 PM
It looks as though part of my post didnt make it????

When I played they used to have a conference letter of intent. So when you signed with a team the other teams in the conference had to back off. Dont know why or when they stopped that. Of course you then still had the National Letter of Intent as well at the end of recruiting season.
Nope LU has lost recruits that were on official release to Cross and Pards,altho none the last two years with LOI. Admit we got one from Gate and another from Cross back then,then being this decade.

citdog
June 7th, 2014, 04:43 PM
So your idea is that those who cant afford college cant go as it would be so unfair to those who can afford to pay. Not really a true analogy but is emblematic it seems of today's makers and takers pseudo philosophy,smh (:

Shake your head all you want but your attitude is what has ruined the country. Some people don't belong in college. If you want to go and can't afford it there are MANY, MANY avenues to get the funds. Why should a family who pays georgetown 62, 589 per year subsidize the education of those who cannot? Perhaps the others should attend a different school.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 7th, 2014, 05:00 PM
In many cases, Ivies' recruits stay committed to the schools they verbally committed to, despite us being non-scholarship. But I feel sorry for Georgetown, they couldn't comply with the pressures of the FBS/P5 schools poaching recruits from them. The athletic department needs to re-evaluate their status towards football; they are stuck in limbo. xsmhx

That doesn't always happen, ex. the LSU QB that left you guys a few years ago, then transferred back to Harvard for his senior year.

RichH2
June 7th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Shake your head all you want but your attitude is what has ruined the country. Some people don't belong in college. If you want to go and can't afford it there are MANY, MANY avenues to get the funds. Why should a family who pays georgetown 62, 589 per year subsidize the education of those who cannot? Perhaps the others should attend a different school.
So many faulty assumptions. Where does one get the money? These so many avenues which you rely on. Yup,Fed,private schollie funds, loans,merit aid all there but not nearly enuf for all to go. Second,you assume tuition is set by the amount of aid given to needy kids. Most of GU's issues deal with their failure to build their endowment not need aid.
Not surprised that you base country's problems on aid to poor. Sad tho and laughably incorrect.

citdog
June 7th, 2014, 05:28 PM
So many faulty assumptions. Where does one get the money? These so many avenues which you rely on. Yup,Fed,private schollie funds, loans,merit aid all there but not nearly enuf for all to go. Second,you assume tuition is set by the amount of aid given to needy kids. Most of GU's issues deal with their failure to build their endowment not need aid.
Not surprised that you base country's problems on aid to poor. Sad tho and laughably incorrect.

VERY EASY for you, for whom 'the poor' are just a CONCEPT, to laugh at. 1 in 4 Americans receive some sort of need based aid. What happens when the money runs out?

RichH2
June 7th, 2014, 05:46 PM
VERY EASY for you, for whom 'the poor' are just a CONCEPT, to laugh at. 1 in 4 Americans receive some sort of need based aid. What happens when the money runs out?
Wrong assumption. I work with poor every week providing free legal help and my W and I work in a food co op providing food for needy families. All of my kids also follow our path. My Dad taught me that Those to whom much is given,much is expected. Since 08,the toll has been horrific on middle class and poor. The top (of which I am one) income levels have gone up during same period. Fair?
Enough politics,lets go back to football.