PDA

View Full Version : ODU Football Timetable

Monarch Nation
October 24th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Article in the Daily Press outlines the Monarch football timetable. Nothing Earth shaking from what has already been reported, except that it states that the Monarchs will play a full CAA schedule in 2011 after taking the field in 2009. There had been some discussion on when we would play a full CAA slate.

Daily Press article (http://www.dailypress.com/sports/columnists/dp-60803cm0oct24,0,3152660.column?coll=dp-sports-columnists)

edited for spelling and grammar

PurpleandGold
October 24th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I'm looking forward to having ODU aboard to continue a tradition of great Virginia football. But I'm wondering if there's anything more than pure speculation out there about what's going to happen to the A10/CAA in 2009. Has anybody heard anything solid?

henfan
October 24th, 2006, 02:19 PM
But I'm wondering if there's anything more than pure speculation out there about what's going to happen to the A10/CAA in 2009. Has anybody heard anything solid?

You've not heard anything solid because there's nothing new to report.

The CAA is assuming operations of the existing A-10 league beginning in January 2007. All of the existing A-10 teams have signed up to begin CAA play in '07. There's nothing magical about 2009. Right now it's assumed the league will remain the same throughout the '09 season and beyond. Don't worry. If anything changes in the meantime, it'll be all over the press.

Now, at some point years down the line, there may be some movement of teams in and out of the CAA. Unless the America East manages to start its own league though, I wouldn't expect any big changes. The only thing we know for certain is that ODU has plans to join the CAA in 2011. Everything beyond that is wild speculation at this point.

blur2005
October 24th, 2006, 03:37 PM
We like wild speculation on this board, so I expect this thread will evolve (or should it be devolve?) into a bunch of possible conference groupings like things always do when ODU is mentioned.

aceinthehole
October 24th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Isn't wild speculation what this board is all about? xlolx

BearsCountry
October 24th, 2006, 03:45 PM
We like wild speculation on this board, so I expect this thread will evolve (or should it be devolve?) into a bunch of possible conference groupings like things always do when ODU is mentioned.

Here you go. :D :D xlolx :D :D

America East
Albany
Central Connecticut
Hofstra
Maine
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Stony Brook

CAA
Delaware
James Madison
Northeastern
Old Dominion
Richmond
Towson
Villanova
William & Mary

:nod:

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2006, 04:03 PM

America East
Albany
Central Connecticut
Hofstra
Maine
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Stony Brook

CAA
Delaware
James Madison
Northeastern
Old Dominion
Richmond
Towson
Villanova
William & Mary

I think that looks good. leaves both possible conferences very competitive with multiple top tier teams.

BearsCountry
October 24th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I think that looks good. leaves both possible conferences very competitive with multiple top tier teams.

I was just joking around, didn't think about real life.

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I was just joking around, didn't think about real life.

Well my concern with all the talk about a AE football conference was that I think it would be less significant then the A-10/CAA and i think that would cause problems with teams like UNH and Mass willingly playing in it. But if they can work it so theres a few decent teams in it I dont have a probl;em with it.

mcveyrl
October 24th, 2006, 04:09 PM

America East
Albany
Central Connecticut
Hofstra
Maine
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Stony Brook

CAA
Delaware
James Madison
Northeastern
Old Dominion
Richmond
Towson
Villanova
William & Mary

while that does look good, i think Hofstra would stay in the CAA since they're a basketball school. still think that the AE is a good conference. we'll give you Villanova.

th0m
October 24th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Aren't there some very interesting issues to be dealt with when the CAA becomes a 13-team league when ODU starts to play a full CAA slate? I would assume they are in the CAA South which would then have 7 teams, meaning 6 CAA South games, and then what, 2 CAA North games? That means you play every North team once every 3 years.... Not really a 'conference' at that point really. And then the North still has 6 teams, so 5 North games, and they still need 3 games from the South. I haven't put a lot of thoughts in this, but I figure it'll go wrong somewhere...

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Aren't there some very interesting issues to be dealt with when the CAA becomes a 13-team league when ODU starts to play a full CAA slate? I would assume they are in the CAA South which would then have 7 teams, meaning 6 CAA South games, and then what, 2 CAA North games? That means you play every North team once every 3 years.... Not really a 'conference' at that point really. And then the North still has 6 teams, so 5 North games, and they still need 3 games from the South. I haven't put a lot of thoughts in this, but I figure it'll go wrong somewhere...

I would think if all the teams remain CAA they will find a 14th team to join the conference maybe Albany?

BearsCountry
October 24th, 2006, 04:36 PM
I would think if all the teams remain CAA they will find a 14th team to join the conference maybe Albany?

Stony Brook, they are going to 63 schollys next year and indepedent status.

Dane96
October 24th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Stony Brook, while our brethren, does not have the same overall athletic profile of Albany.

While I dont think Albany to the CAA is anywhere in the near future, they would be more of a fit that Stony Brook.

Additionally, I think Hofstra would have something to say about the Brook being in the same conference.

Finally, there will be a new President at the Brook...so dont see any decisions coming anytime soon!!!

aceinthehole
October 24th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Stony Brook, while our brethren, does not have the same overall athletic profile of Albany.

While I dont think Albany to the CAA is anywhere in the near future, they would be more of a fit that Stony Brook.

Additionally, I think Hofstra would have something to say about the Brook being in the same conference.

Finally, there will be a new President at the Brook...so dont see any decisions coming anytime soon!!!

I somewhat agree with you, but I don't think the overall profile is that important as you stated becasue the CAA would be looking for a FB-only member. Albany could certainly be very attractive to the CAA in the future, but IMO that's still some years away.

If ODU was ready for the CAA football within the next 2 seasons, then Stony Brook would be the clear choice becasue they would be nearly fully funded and have a great stadium. UA would be way behind in both categories.

HOWEVER, ODU is not ready for 2008, so SBU is a moot point.

I think common sense will dictate the New England affiliates will split from the CAA to begin a new football conference aroun 2010-11. The NCAA will grant it an AQ and the specific membership can be debated, but I'd guess it would include:

UMass
URI
New Hampshire
Maine
Albany
Stony Brook
Central Connecticut
and ??? (the 64K question)

DTSpider
October 24th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I think common sense will dictate the New England affiliates will split from the CAA to begin a new football conference aroun 2010-11. The NCAA will grant it an AQ and the specific membership can be debated, but I'd guess it would include:

UMass
URI
New Hampshire
Maine
Albany
Stony Brook
Central Connecticut
and ??? (the 64K question)

Why add an 8th at this point? That's a pretty good looking conference IMO as is.

DTSpider
October 24th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I agree that something will probably happen by 2011. However, who knows what it could be. Maybe JMU decides to ramp up a 1A move? Maybe URI drops football to non-scholarship? I think a lot may depend too on what happens in other conferences. If Coastal Carolina is trying hard to move up, maybe they become a 14th member of the league (FB only of course). UD & VU get moved to the north division. Way too many options at this point. However, I'm sure we'll hear more. IF the AE schools are serious about created a FB conference it'll happen. It took the CAA awhile to assume the A10, but it's definitely been on the horizon. It's only a matter of time before persistent rumors turn into reality.

th0m
October 24th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Yeah there are a lot of options and possibilities, it's always nice to speculate on possible shake-ups :)

Longhorn
October 24th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Yeah there are a lot of options and possibilities, it's always nice to speculate on possible shake-ups :)

Idle speculation is what makes these boards interesting! xsmileyclapx

So here's another take on some conference "shake-ups" (post 2009)...resulting in three solid, academically aligned and geographically tight, 8 team leagues. :beerchug: Doubt anything like the following will actually come to pass, but something will happen when ODU FB joins the CAA fulltime.

America East
Albany
Central Connecticut
Maine
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Stony Brook
Villanova

Patriot
Bucknell
Colgate
Holy Cross
Fordham
Georgetown
Lehigh
Lafayette
Richmond

CAA
Appalachian State :nod:
Delaware
James Madison
Hofstra
Northeastern
Old Dominion
Towson
William & Mary

Again, the above is just idle speculation (UR fans please don't get excited! I know you can't stand the idea of playing in the Patriot ;) )...but I can see the CAA looking to host only full-member schools, and heavily courting App St.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 24th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Maybe JMU decides to ramp up a 1A move? Maybe URI drops football to non-scholarship? I think a lot may depend too on what happens in other conferences. If Coastal Carolina is trying hard to move up, maybe they become a 14th member of the league (FB only of course).

First, I doubt JMU will make a I-A move any time soon... Unless they're really sure of and greedily looking for money (which with the rate of expansion that the school is going through, it could happen evenstually). There's too much competition for top I-A prospects in the Central VA area with UVA and VT playing there.

Second Coastal would be a great addition to a split up current A10 south... if they want to be included in an Autobid league and get national recognition that would be the way to go.

BearsCountry
October 24th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Idle speculation is what makes these boards interesting! xsmileyclapx

So here's another take on some conference "shake-ups" (post 2009)...resulting in three solid, academically aligned and geographically tight, 8 team leagues. :beerchug: Doubt anything like the following will actually come to pass, but something will happen when ODU FB joins the CAA fulltime.

America East
Albany
Central Connecticut
Maine
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Stony Brook
Villanova

Patriot
Bucknell
Colgate
Holy Cross
Fordham
Georgetown
Lehigh
Lafayette
Richmond

CAA
Delaware
James Madison
Hofstra
Northeastern
Old Dominion
Towson
William & Mary

Again, the above is just idle speculation (UR fans please don't get excited! I know you can't stand the idea of playing in the Patriot ;) )...but I can see the CAA looking to host only full-member schools, and heavily courting App St.

Nova and Delaware are joined at the hip basically.

LeopardFan04
October 25th, 2006, 12:09 AM
If Richmond did join a scholarship PL...there's been talk that teams would leave...Holy Cross? Can't remember the specifics...but that seems to be how it would go...

89Hen
October 25th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Nova and Delaware are joined at the hip basically.
Not really. While we certainly do enjoy a healthy football rivalry, that's all it is. We don't really play them in other sports and considering they really don't have much of a fanbase for football (Hen fans outnumber Nova fans at games in Philly) I don't see this as being a big deal for them to split up.

Everything is speculation at this point, but I think the one thing we can say with fair certainty is that SOMETHING is going to happen by 2011. The conference cannot go to 13 or 14 teams. The only way that would work is if I-AA votes to go to a 12 game season so the CAA can play 9 conference games and still have 3 OOC. The A10 did have a couple years where we did play a 9 game conference slate during 11 game years, but it was a real nightmare and I don't see anyone wanting to go back to that.

The teams that kinda F things up are Richmond and Villanova. Both would rather play football with the CAA full members (UR with JMU and W&M and Nova with UD), but may be better fits elsewhere looking at it from the outside. Both could be PL candidates or AE if it developed. Had UR had a crystal ball a few years back, they probably would have never left the CAA in the first place. IMO with football now falling under the CAA umbrella and the CAA making some progress in bball, I think the CAA may be stronger than the A10 overall. Yes, GMU was probably a one hit wonder, but the A10 has really dropped in bball and the two were ranked basically equal last year. In other sports it's pretty close too.

mcveyrl
October 25th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Had UR had a crystal ball a few years back, they probably would have never left the CAA in the first place. IMO with football now falling under the CAA umbrella and the CAA making some progress in bball, I think the CAA may be stronger than the A10 overall. Yes, GMU was probably a one hit wonder, but the A10 has really dropped in bball and the two were ranked basically equal last year. In other sports it's pretty close too.

I agree with that! I do think that GMU is a one-hit wonder (but they'll be good this year!), but the CAA has always been strong in other sports, particularly compared to the A-10. I worked as a GA for a professor that was visiting from Richmond and he was furious that they left the CAA. The only advantage he saw was in basketball, and as you pointed out, I think that's slipping away.

henfan
October 25th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Not really. While we certainly do enjoy a healthy football rivalry, that's all it is. We don't really play them in other sports and considering they really don't have much of a fanbase for football (Hen fans outnumber Nova fans at games in Philly) I don't see this as being a big deal for them to split up.

Of course, I agree with much of what you say, but need to clarify one point. UD and VU do frequently play Olympic sports against one another. In fact, VU already competes in the CAA as an affiliate for MLAX. As you suggested though, the two schools seldom compete in the Olympic sport that matters most, basketball, and the Cat-Hen rivalries in the other sports aren't nearly as intense as for football.

No, the VU and UD aren't "joined at the hip" for football, though we all enjoy the rivalry. I'd have to think both teams would continue to play one another regularly even if they competed in different conferences. Our FB rivalry doesn't have the history of Montana-Montana State, Harvard-Yale, Grambling-Southern, Richmond-William & Mary or Lehigh-Lafayette.

bluehenbillk
October 25th, 2006, 01:14 PM
I think some illegal in San Diego told me that Maine wasn't long for the CAA.

mcveyrl
October 25th, 2006, 01:16 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Is there any truth that Wendy Larry is going to be a player/coach on ODU's inaugural team?:D :D

dbackjon
October 25th, 2006, 01:16 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Except that person has since immigrated to Tennessee.

89Hen
October 25th, 2006, 01:34 PM
VU already competes in the CAA as an affiliate for MLAX.
That's about it AFAIK.

Monarch Nation
October 27th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I have a question about scheduling that I've been wondering about but didn't think it deserved a new thread. Since ODU is a member of the CAA, but will play as a football independent until 2011, would any games ODU would play against CAA Football foes be considered OOC games for those teams? My initial reaction would be yes, but I wonder if I'm correct.

bluehenbillk
October 27th, 2006, 01:43 PM
You'd be correct, they wouldn't count until '11.

texcap
October 27th, 2006, 03:20 PM
CAA
Delaware
James Madison
Hofstra
Northeastern
Old Dominion
Towson
William & Mary

I am not sure what the official position of App State would be but there is major dissatisfaction among the fans for the direction the Southern Conference has/is taking in the last few years. While many of these fans would like to go IA, I don't see that being an option without a decent conference affiliation. This alignment would please many of them becuase they would love to be affiliated with JMU, W&M and Delaware.