PDA

View Full Version : SoCon raises exit fee

The Cats
May 30th, 2014, 02:12 PM
At the Southern Conference 2014 Spring Meetings held in Hilton Head Island, SC, the league’s presidents and chancellors agreed to raise the conference’s exit fee to $1 million, while the fee for providing less than one-year’s notice will now move to $1.25 million.

I think this probably should ensure some stability for a while.

Thoughts?

What are other FCS conference exit fees?

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209513678&DB_OEM_ID=4000

superman7515
May 30th, 2014, 02:17 PM
The CAA raised the exit fee to $1 million in 2012. George Mason, Old Dominion, Virginia Commonwealth, etc all found the money.

OL FU
May 30th, 2014, 03:24 PM
If someone wants to leave bad enough, they will leave.

I think the stability is reflected more in the conference members invited after the recent four departures. 1 private school, 2 smaller schools, two former members. I have no idea what ETSU's plans for the future are but they would be the one that might be inclined to move up but I would imagine location and just starting back football after an absence would suggest at least not for a while if ever.

Strangely enough of the departures, the one I didn't really understand was Elon. Not sure if it was discussed and I missed it, or just not discussed much since there were so many ASU and GSU posters.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 30th, 2014, 03:26 PM
It should just be called what it is, "hush money".

walliver
May 30th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Does this mean we are stuck with UNC-G forever?

Sitting Bull
May 30th, 2014, 04:28 PM

Strangely enough of the departures, the one I didn't really understand was Elon. Not sure if it was discussed and I missed it, or just not discussed much since there were so many ASU and GSU posters.

They upgraded their athletic profile, going to the CAA, and positioned their profile up the eastern seaboard where they are drawing a large and growing number of their students.

PaladinFan
May 30th, 2014, 04:48 PM
They upgraded their athletic profile, going to the CAA, and positioned their profile up the eastern seaboard where they are drawing a large and growing number of their students.

Seems like a gamble.

Sitting Bull
May 30th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Seems like a gamble.

How so, unless you consider any shift a gamble?

citdog
May 30th, 2014, 06:13 PM

You're funny. We GOT you to TAKE a school that brought and brings NOTHING to the table but dirty play in ALL the major sports and a school full of spoiled yankees. How we got you to do that and got them to PAY us for the privilege is an excellent business deal for the SoCon. When will you and Richmond return to where you never should have left?

citdog
May 30th, 2014, 06:20 PM
It should just be called what it is, "hush money".

You will never be in a good conference so it won't really matter.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 30th, 2014, 07:16 PM
You will never be in a good conference so it won't really matter.

We're in a conference that doesn't have to use threats of ruination in order to keep its members.

citdog
May 30th, 2014, 08:00 PM
We're in a conference that doesn't have members that anyone else WANTS.

MOST insightful lfn post EVER!

Sitting Bull
May 30th, 2014, 08:06 PM
You're funny. We GOT you to TAKE a school that brought and brings NOTHING to the table but dirty play in ALL the major sports and a school full of spoiled yankees. How we got you to do that and got them to PAY us for the privilege is an excellent business deal for the SoCon. When will you and Richmond return to where you never should have left?

Ha, no thanks. As much as I like the SoCon, its a Deep South league now compared to the days when W&M and UR were members. Nothing wrong with that except it doesn't fit as well now. I think they did a nice job rebounding with the additions of Mercer, E TN and VMI.

Not sure about all the stuff with Elon, the dirty play and such. Sounds like sour grapes. Your commissioner must be a good actor then with the hissy fit displayed on Elon's announcement to leave.

I do like their location for the CAA and they defintely seem to be a hot school right now. Also like their campus and their football stadium, seems very nice. I think they will be a good fit. They seem to be a good bet for the CAA.

But back to the gamble, the one I think really gambled is Davidson. A small, academic school with now their closest conference mate in Richmond, a good 5 hours away. The travel costs are going to be huge for all their other programs and a men's basketball program that built a solid, consistent winning reputation over the years in the So Con is going to be sorely challenged. They are picked to finish last this upcoming season in a league with near 14 schools. It won't take too many losing seasons before people will start to lose interest and think of them as a doormat instead of a winning program. And the A10 cash machine for basketball is also going to start shrinking - many of their premier teams have left or are threats to move (Dayton, St Louis, UMass).

Elon took a pretty safe bet, Davidson has really rolled the dice IMO.

spdram
May 30th, 2014, 08:23 PM
The A-10 has been called dead so many times, but yet it keeps coming back. The money makes travel easier. Davidson will be fine.

Tribal
May 30th, 2014, 08:25 PM

This is how I feel about GA State paying the CAA to rid the rest of us of that cancer. I'd swap GA State for Elon 100% of the time.

MarkCCU
May 30th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Does this mean we are stuck with UNC-G forever?

And VMI. I am so happy they left the BSC.

walliver
May 30th, 2014, 09:54 PM

They didn't upgrade their athletic profile, but did reposition themselves as a mid-Atlantic, not Southern, school - much like the college of knowledge. It was a marketing, not athletic, move.

citdog
May 30th, 2014, 09:57 PM
And VMI. I am so happy they left the BSC.

GLAD to welcome the Virginia Military Institute back home.

Go Green
May 30th, 2014, 10:09 PM
What are other FCS conference exit fees?

Going to guess that the Ivy's exit fee is zero.

I remember reading that the SEC has the same deal. No one will ever leave, so why bother?

Sitting Bull
May 31st, 2014, 06:33 AM
They didn't upgrade their athletic profile, but did reposition themselves as a mid-Atlantic, not Southern, school - much like the college of knowledge. It was a marketing, not athletic, move.

If you are going to at consider the power levels of conferences in primary sports, their media packages, etc., then yes, Elon easily upgraded their athletic profile.

MR. CHICKEN
May 31st, 2014, 06:53 AM

........FO' DUH....GUARANTEED.......W.............BRAWK!

AshevilleApp2
May 31st, 2014, 07:15 AM

Not necessarily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8h_uTq8kqQ

citdog
May 31st, 2014, 10:12 AM
Not necessarily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8h_uTq8kqQ

This happens to The Citadel Man WHEREVER he goes. Ladies just get overcome with desire when in the presence of a REAL MAN.

citdog
May 31st, 2014, 10:14 AM

NO athletic contest between The Citadel and VMI is a guaranteed anything. The records mean NOTHING.

kdinva
May 31st, 2014, 10:43 AM

We should have never left.....the Supe in 2002 didn't believe in investing in upgrading facilities, nutrition, etc.....our new A.D. is great with fundraising and getting out to folks......In March, VMI broke ground on a new multi-purpose facility, which a new, 200M 8 lane indoor track, with permanent seating, is the focal point. It will also have underground parking (to be used for FB and hoops games, etc), and P E amenities that all Cadets can benefit from.

VMI is hoping to host the Feb., 2017, SoCon Indoor T&F championships there...

kdinva
May 31st, 2014, 10:45 AM
This happens to The Citadel Man WHEREVER he goes. Ladies just get overcome with desire when in the presence of a REAL MAN.

what about the ladies in Boone?

AshevilleApp2
May 31st, 2014, 11:22 AM

xlolx

walliver
May 31st, 2014, 01:46 PM
what about the ladies in Boone?

They don't date outside the family.

PaladinFan
May 31st, 2014, 03:31 PM
Davidson's move was, perhaps, the most surprising. App and GSU were malcontents, CofC was an outlier, Elon never quite fit. Davidson had sway in the SoCon and close ties to member institutions.

Saint3333
May 31st, 2014, 08:07 PM
Davidson's move was, perhaps, the most surprising. App and GSU were malcontents, CofC was an outlier, Elon never quite fit. Davidson had sway in the SoCon and close ties to member institutions.

All five looked at what the SoCon had to offer and made a move they thought was best for them. Two stabbed the SoCon while looking them in the eye, two snuck out the back and no one cared, and one stabbed them in the back.

citdog
June 1st, 2014, 12:01 AM
All five looked at what the SoCon had to offer and made a move they thought was best for them. Two stabbed the SoCon while looking them in the eye, two snuck out the back and no one cared, and one stabbed them in the back.

no one misses you.

Saint3333
June 1st, 2014, 07:05 AM
no one misses you.

Our face to face conversation in Montana last August says otherwise.

chattownmocs
June 1st, 2014, 08:57 AM
As long as Chattanooga keeps David Blackburn as AD, and as long as the SOCON keeps chattanooga, the socon will be fine.

CID1990
June 1st, 2014, 09:48 AM
As long as Chattanooga keeps David Blackburn as AD, and as long as the SOCON keeps chattanooga, the socon will be fine.

hubris

OL FU
June 1st, 2014, 09:48 AM
I didn't think Davidson's was surprising. They wanted a better basketball conference. They are hanging their hats on that.

AshevilleApp2
June 1st, 2014, 10:13 AM

The SOCON has lost plenty of better programs than UTC and has always been fine. I expect that will continue now and if y'all ever leave.

kdinva
June 1st, 2014, 11:19 AM
I didn't think Davidson's was surprising. They wanted a better basketball conference. They are hanging their hats on that.

And if their baseball team can maintain similar success as their 2014 team, they'll improve the A10 overall (check the baseball Conf. RPI Charts: SC: 12; A10: 25)

OL FU
June 1st, 2014, 11:30 AM
And if their baseball team can maintain similar success as their 2014 team, they'll improve the A10 overall (check the baseball Conf. RPI Charts: SC: 12; A10: 25)

:) I do realize there are more sports than basketball and football ( kinda sorta). I think what I meant is that there are generally two sports that get the publicity and they are the two I mentioned. I don't know but I doubt that Davidson will ever make a pile of money on basketball, but it certainly increases name recognition etc and for a strong academic small school like Davidson some more elite 8 runs like a few years ago can be a major benefit to that recognition.

Don't keep up with baseball as much as I should, but I think the Socon is pretty damn good at that sport.

chattanoogamocs
June 2nd, 2014, 12:39 AM
I really didn't mind ASU and GSU leaving mainly because they have always clamored for "big time" football and have always been pretty upfront about it. No one was surprised when they left. Though I will admit I was partially happy they left because I got tired of hearing so many of their fans trashing the SoCon (because they felt they had outgrown it/were too good for it).

What did surprise is with what a thud ASU is leaving the conference...they are the only school in the conference to sponsor every sport and they left this year without winning a single title...nothing, nada. (they did win the Commissioner Cup again, but only by 4 points, to a school that has two less sports). I say this not to take a dig at ASU (ok, maybe a little)...honestly, it shocked me. ASU has some serious stuff to work through while they transition up to FBS.

Davidson surprises me a little bit because that is a pretty big step up and they have always seemed relatively comfortable being a big fish in a small pond. I consider their fans very knowledgeable when it comes to basketball and even they were not convinced that this is a great idea (but now that it has been done, they are moving resolutely forward).

Of course, the only SoCon title Davidson won this year was the regular season basketball title...it's pretty obvious they care about men's basketball first...and second...and third...and fourth. Oh, and they play baseball sometimes too.

As for Elon...honestly most people in Chattanooga had never heard of Elon until they joined the SoCon...no one here had any interest in them while they were here...and no one cares that they left. I know that sounds petty and mean spirited, but it's just the simple truth. Chattanooga had nothing in common with them and they are almost 500 miles away. The fact that they paid $500k to leave was the biggest contribution they ever made to the SoCon.

Upside from a Chattanooga perspective...Mercer is closer to Chattanooga than anyone who left (thumbs up)...and they returned the only true rival Chattanooga has ever had (big thumbs up). VMI probably doesn't do much for the average Chattanooga fan, but I respect their standing as one of the oldest members of the SoCon and welcome them back (and hey, when we took back Davidson in the early 90's...and at the time, they were as bad in basketball as VMI is right now in football...so who knows what VMI might be able to do over the next decade...a return to the SoCon will surely have a positive impact on fundraising)

AshevilleApp2
June 2nd, 2014, 05:34 AM
I really didn't mind ASU and GSU leaving mainly because they have always clamored for "big time" football and have always been pretty upfront about it. No one was surprised when they left. Though I will admit I was partially happy they left because I got tired of hearing so many of their fans trashing the SoCon (because they felt they had outgrown it/were too good for it).

What did surprise is with what a thud ASU is leaving the conference...they are the only school in the conference to sponsor every sport and they left this year without winning a single title...nothing, nada. (they did win the Commissioner Cup again, but only by 4 points, to a school that has two less sports). I say this not to take a dig at ASU (ok, maybe a little)...honestly, it shocked me. ASU has some serious stuff to work through while they transition up to FBS.

Davidson surprises me a little bit because that is a pretty big step up and they have always seemed relatively comfortable being a big fish in a small pond. I consider their fans very knowledgeable when it comes to basketball and even they were not convinced that this is a great idea (but now that it has been done, they are moving resolutely forward).

Of course, the only SoCon title Davidson won this year was the regular season basketball title...it's pretty obvious they care about men's basketball first...and second...and third...and fourth. Oh, and they play baseball sometimes too.

As for Elon...honestly most people in Chattanooga had never heard of Elon until they joined the SoCon...no one here had any interest in them while they were here...and no one cares that they left. I know that sounds petty and mean spirited, but it's just the simple truth. Chattanooga had nothing in common with them and they are almost 500 miles away. The fact that they paid $500k to leave was the biggest contribution they ever made to the SoCon.

Upside from a Chattanooga perspective...Mercer is closer to Chattanooga than anyone who left (thumbs up)...and they returned the only true rival Chattanooga has ever had (big thumbs up). VMI probably doesn't do much for the average Chattanooga fan, but I respect their standing as one of the oldest members of the SoCon and welcome them back (and hey, when we took back Davidson in the early 90's...and at the time, they were as bad in basketball as VMI is right now in football...so who knows what VMI might be able to do over the next decade...a return to the SoCon will surely have a positive impact on fundraising)

Definitely some issues in Boone. I'm a little surprised that nobody (Citdog) has mentioned the APR problems with the basketball program. They won't be eligible for the post-season in 2014-2015. Not that they were likely to make it, but it illustrates the challenges that Coach Fox will have to address.

That said, I think ASU will be fine in the long term.

PaladinFan
June 2nd, 2014, 07:00 AM
App State didn't win a single SoCon championship. GSU finished second to last among full members in the Commissioner's cup. Draw your own conclusions.

OL FU
June 2nd, 2014, 07:24 AM

We keep forgetting College of Charleston who probably rates up there with Elon.

Apphole
June 2nd, 2014, 09:24 AM
App State didn't win a single SoCon championship. GSU finished second to last among full members in the Commissioner's cup. Draw your own conclusions.

Long overdue for a down year.

CID1990
June 2nd, 2014, 09:56 AM
We keep forgetting College of Charleston who probably rates up there with Elon.

yep

for all of Elon's faults

they weren't cofc

PaladinFan
June 2nd, 2014, 10:16 AM

You might want to get comfortable with how that feels.

Saint3333
June 2nd, 2014, 10:23 AM
Over 140 SoCon Championships for App, spin that anyway you'd like, the result is we were the best overall athletic department during our SoCon era.

Yes we have challenges ahead of us as the SBC's average RPI rating in football, MBB, WBB, Baseball, Softball, and Volleyball is better. But people said the same thing when we left Division II for the SoCon. Looking forward to the challenge.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 2nd, 2014, 10:39 AM

Wait a minute, now. Is the Sun Belt an unhealthy, bottom-feeding, flailing conference or is it so good that GSU and App. State will get kicked around in every sport? Do you think so little of the SoCon that you don't think App State will their zillion SoCon championships and GSU having more championships in the Big 3 sports than any other team can be relevant in the Belt?

Personally, I think both of us will get schooled in basketball for the foreseeable future (with the possible exception of GSU this coming year with some luck with the roster). GSU will find baseball titles somewhat harder to win. I honestly think in time GSU and App will run Sun Belt football. And I would think people like you would at least take some satisfaction in watching App and GSU with 4-4 2013 SoCon records go into the Belt and be relevant in our first years there.

In some ways, I do feel like for at least a season or two we are sort of carrying the banner for the FCS into a league that thinks we can't do anything with a roster of "FCS players". I guess that's just me, though.

Apphole
June 2nd, 2014, 10:49 AM

Football and basketball are on the upswing after years of mismanagement finally came to roost this past season. Smart hires, our strongest football recruiting class of all time, and entering a much better conference will help as well.

PhillyApp1
June 2nd, 2014, 11:22 AM

You are correct about APP, many years of bad decisions from football, basketball, and a few other sports are in the process of being repaired....and you should thank God we will not be taking out our repairs on you ;-)....... This past year was a transition year, some athletes couldn't handle the upgrade, many were redshirted, and we had to do some house cleaning ... I will still enjoy keeping up with the SoCon because most of the schools represent themselves well :-)

fc97
June 2nd, 2014, 12:58 PM
it was about what the schools wanted. i'm with people in that elon never really fit in with the conference. charleston really didn't either. neither does uncg in my opinion. when app and gsu left, the compromise that elon made to join became all the more glaring. elon entered a league where most of the schools are outside of the alumni footprint and that resulted in students that didnt care much about the competition and alumni that didn't go to many away games. there's a reason that elon pulled in more fans to jmu, richmond, towson and hofstra than georgia southern, western carolina and utc.

i honestly think elon was on the fence on what to do until the new members were thrown on the table. it was no secret that elon wanted northern expansion and it was clear the league was moving against it. instead they got a school in tennessee that there is virtually no local interest in and mercer that, though good, has no local interest (much like utc and other fans complain about us). so that's two more sets of games in areas where there are virtually no alumni.

so they made a move that puts them in a conference where the majority of the alumni live. it was as much a marketing and political move as much as it is about enhancing the athletic picture.

whether anyone else leaves is left to be seen. i still think furman and uncg are long term possibilities.

citdog
June 2nd, 2014, 01:02 PM
it was about what the schools wanted. i'm with people in that elon never really fit in with the conference. charleston really didn't either. neither does uncg in my opinion. when app and gsu left, the compromise that elon made to join became all the more glaring. elon entered a league where most of the schools are outside of the alumni footprint and that resulted in students that didnt care much about the competition and alumni that didn't go to many away games. there's a reason that elon pulled in more fans to jmu, richmond, towson and hofstra than georgia southern, western carolina and utc.

i honestly think elon was on the fence on what to do until the new members were thrown on the table. it was no secret that elon wanted northern expansion and it was clear the league was moving against it. instead they got a school in tennessee that there is virtually no local interest in and mercer that, though good, has no local interest (much like utc and other fans complain about us). so that's two more sets of games in areas where there are virtually no alumni.

so they made a move that puts them in a conference where the majority of the alumni live. it was as much a marketing and political move as much as it is about enhancing the athletic picture.

whether anyone else leaves is left to be seen. i still think furman and uncg are long term possibilities.

Mercer sold out their season ticket packages in less than 72 hours. ETSU has PLENTY of local interest in that nest of unionists east Tennessee.

citdog
June 2nd, 2014, 01:08 PM
Football and basketball are on the upswing after years of mismanagement finally came to roost this past season. Smart hires, our strongest football recruiting class of all time, and entering a much better conference will help as well.

Baseball? Here is your all time record vs The Citadel Baseball Program.

Overall
25-75

You've won less than 6 games in Charleston SINCE entering the SoCon.

PaladinFan
June 2nd, 2014, 01:21 PM

I don't doubt that. Furman just went through their own period of poor management on all fronts. It's hard to recover quickly. Your competition flies past you when you aren't minding the store.

As you know, recruiting classes are always "to be determined." App fans crowed about their recruiting classes for years on here (same recruiting classes that got stomped in the SoCon this year). Amazing how little three star hybrid athletes can do when the defensive line plays in your backfield all game.

OL FU
June 2nd, 2014, 01:28 PM

Strangely enough while not in the short term, I think in the long term you are correct about Furman. Not real easy to get the information but one hears all the time that the student body is more northeast than it used to be. I think about 25% of the students are South Carolinians which is a declining number. But the question is who attends sports events. Alums. and if alums are going to move back home and therefore not attend the events anyway, that raises much bigger questions.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 2nd, 2014, 01:57 PM
So in a nutshell, the exit fee is there to keep beloved schools like App, Georgia Southern, CoC, Davidson, and Elon in the SoCon....?

Saint3333
June 2nd, 2014, 02:11 PM
Baseball? Here is your all time record vs The Citadel Baseball Program.

Overall
25-75

You've won less than 6 games in Charleston SINCE entering the SoCon.

2-1 vs. Citadel in 2014. Let me guess all-time records only count in baseball right?

OL FU
June 2nd, 2014, 02:51 PM
So in a nutshell, the exit fee is there to keep beloved schools like App, Georgia Southern, CoC, Davidson, and Elon in the SoCon....?

Prolly to keep Patriot League schools out:)

CID1990
June 2nd, 2014, 03:58 PM
2-1 vs. Citadel in 2014. Let me guess all-time records only count in baseball right?

You should be ashamed that you even lost one game to this year's squad

that said, congrats on beating us in something other than volleyball over the last two years xthumbsupx

citdog
June 2nd, 2014, 05:32 PM

In a nutshell WE DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK. We are the SOUTHERN Conference after all.

Saint3333
June 2nd, 2014, 06:49 PM
You should be ashamed that you even lost one game to this year's squad

that said, congrats on beating us in something other than volleyball over the last two years xthumbsupx

You should be ashamed it take OT to beat one of the worst App teams in 40 years. Also the worst basketball team in my lifetime beat Citadel last year. Geez.

citdog
June 2nd, 2014, 08:04 PM
You should be ashamed it take OT to beat one of the worst App teams in 40 years. Also the worst basketball team in my lifetime beat Citadel last year. Geez.

But WON we did!

TOUCHDOWN THE CITADEL!

whoanellie
June 2nd, 2014, 09:49 PM
good grief after 7 pages of thoughtless tripe no wonder We left the SoCon, During our time there,
We were solid members in ALL major sports and were positive in our relationships. We are a quality school and are always
in a mode to improve our whole programs. From Indie, Big South, & SoCon , Elon has a unique opportunity in the CAA to show
our Alumni base what We are about. Like a TV Deal. Plus We still serve GRITS at pre-game breakfasts & w/ Shrimp!!!

citdog
June 2nd, 2014, 10:03 PM
good grief after 7 pages of thoughtless tripe no wonder We left the SoCon, During our time there,
We were solid members in ALL major sports and were positive in our relationships. We are a quality school and are always
in a mode to improve our whole programs. From Indie, Big South, & SoCon , Elon has a unique opportunity in the CAA to show
our Alumni base what We are about. Like a TV Deal. Plus We still serve GRITS at pre-game breakfasts & w/ Shrimp!!!

NOBODY CARES. Shrimp and Grits is from Charleston you ignorant wretch.

seantaylor
June 3rd, 2014, 01:59 AM

Lol. GSU won 4 championships. Would have easily been 5 if football was eligible.

CID1990
June 3rd, 2014, 07:18 AM
Lol. GSU won 4 championships. Would have easily been 5 if football was eligible.

lol somebody was on a different planet this past season

OL FU
June 3rd, 2014, 07:48 AM

xchinscratchx That helmet looks familiarxconfusedx

The Cats
June 3rd, 2014, 09:39 AM

No one cares why Elon left, we just care that you left.

PaladinFan
June 3rd, 2014, 10:10 AM
lol somebody was on a different planet this past season

Not sure what football season he was watching. That argument would potentially only hold water if Georgia Southern had the best record in the conference, which of course, they did not.

walliver
June 3rd, 2014, 10:17 AM
Not sure what football season he was watching. That argument would potentially only hold water if Georgia Southern had the best record in the conference, which of course, they did not.

You obviously don't understand South Georgia logic.
If GSU had been eligible then:
1) Monken wouldn't have redshirted the NFL caliber players on the team.
2) Monken wouldn't have made changes to the offense and would have coached to win
3) The players would have been motivated to win games, not just show up
4) Nobody beats Georgia Southern except Georgia Southern.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2014, 10:36 AM
I'm just reveling how raising the exit fee would have kept beloved, valued members like Georgia Southern in the SoCon.

Sir William
June 3rd, 2014, 11:10 AM
I'm just reveling how raising the exit fee would have kept beloved, valued members like Georgia Southern in the SoCon.

Valued? Sure. Beloved? That's a stretch. xnonox

citdog
June 3rd, 2014, 11:13 AM

they were about as beloved as a public health notice from your wife. We have most of the trash out of the league now.

Apphole
June 3rd, 2014, 12:09 PM
they were about as beloved as a public health notice from your wife. We have most of the trash out of the league now.

xlolx the trash that kept this league relevant in the FCS for the last decade.

walliver
June 3rd, 2014, 12:14 PM

Thee exit fee doesn't keep anybody from leaving. $1,000,000 didn't keep ODU in the CAA. $50,000,000 didn't keep Maryland in the ACC.

The exit fee is just a way of saying we are all one big happy family, and slightly reducing all the talk of Furman to the CAA and UTC to the OVC..

On the other hand, we should all get together and pay UNC-G $1,000,000 to go to the A-Sun.

citdog
June 3rd, 2014, 12:15 PM
xlolx the trash that kept this league relevant in the FCS for the last decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHDwRECFL8M

fc97
June 3rd, 2014, 12:20 PM
Mercer sold out their season ticket packages in less than 72 hours. ETSU has PLENTY of local interest in that nest of unionists east Tennessee.

there is no local elon alumni or student interest in those schools and vice versa.

fc97
June 3rd, 2014, 12:26 PM
Strangely enough while not in the short term, I think in the long term you are correct about Furman. Not real easy to get the information but one hears all the time that the student body is more northeast than it used to be. I think about 25% of the students are South Carolinians which is a declining number. But the question is who attends sports events. Alums. and if alums are going to move back home and therefore not attend the events anyway, that raises much bigger questions.

i think that is one of the things that helped the elon move. in 2002, the alumni distribution was a majority in virigina and north carolina. in 2013, the alumni distribution is more to richmond to boston than in north carolina. just the nature of things i guess. cable/satellite tv and the abundance of tv major sports coverage has killed most of the secondary sports overall not just here, but minor leagues too.

it will all come down to what is in the best interest of the complete university as a whole, for each and every one. davidson, charleston and elon obviously thought this was the best move and neither talked poorly about the conference, at least publically. app and gsu were slightly different in their handling of the situation. what more happens is left to be seen.

citdog
June 3rd, 2014, 12:29 PM
C.A.R.Y. NC

Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankeescum

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2014, 12:41 PM
Thee exit fee doesn't keep anybody from leaving. $1,000,000 didn't keep ODU in the CAA. $50,000,000 didn't keep Maryland in the ACC.

The exit fee is just a way of saying we are all one big happy family, and slightly reducing all the talk of Furman to the CAA and UTC to the OVC..

On the other hand, we should all get together and pay UNC-G $1,000,000 to go to the A-Sun.

Precisely - "hush money".

OL FU
June 3rd, 2014, 12:57 PM
i think that is one of the things that helped the elon move. in 2002, the alumni distribution was a majority in virigina and north carolina. in 2013, the alumni distribution is more to richmond to boston than in north carolina. just the nature of things i guess. cable/satellite tv and the abundance of tv major sports coverage has killed most of the secondary sports overall not just here, but minor leagues too.

it will all come down to what is in the best interest of the complete university as a whole, for each and every one. davidson, charleston and elon obviously thought this was the best move and neither talked poorly about the conference, at least publically. app and gsu were slightly different in their handling of the situation. what more happens is left to be seen.

It is like I said before I don't get ticked when people move up or move out. and most of my Elon comments in this thread are more stereotypical jokes than serious. But my bigger concern with respect to the current conference or a potential future conference is, while Furman has historically drawn students from around the country, if it continues to have more out of state students where is the alumni base going to be that would normally attend sports. We snag a few unaffiliated Greenville people but for the most part Clemson and USC have that locked up. There is always discussion among fans as to whether we should pull a Davidson and emphasize basketball (for obvious reasons). There are probably lots of reasons we don't one of which right now is that there are lots of fans that remember when from an athletic standpoint when football = Furman. But if those the alums aren't in Greenville to support the team, that just might change.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 3rd, 2014, 01:01 PM
Precisely - "hush money".

I've seen you say this a couple of times and it makes no more sense the second or third time than it did the first I read it.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2014, 01:15 PM
I've seen you say this a couple of times and it makes no more sense the second or third time than it did the first I read it.

The exit fee is just a way of saying we are all one big happy family, and slightly reducing all the talk of Furman to the CAA and UTC to the OVC.

It's a number which is supposed to quiet talk of teams leaving, or to help keep restless teams artificially in the conference. It's a monetary amount to keep schools quiet. Ergo, "hush money". Perhaps a bit confusing on my part I'll admit.

bostonspider
June 3rd, 2014, 01:18 PM
4 There is always discussion among fans as to whether we should pull a Davidson and emphasize basketball (for obvious reasons). There are probably lots of reasons we don't one of which right now is that there are lots of fans that remember when from an athletic standpoint when football = Furman. But if those the alums aren't in Greenville to support the team, that just might change.

Can't Furman try and work like Richmond to emphasize both? Richmond spent $27M building an on campus football stadium, and then followed it up with an $18M renovation of the basketball arena. Winning a FCS Football national title in 2008 and then going to the Sweet 16 in Basketball in 2011.
Schools are approximately the same size, 2,600 undergrad for Furman, 2,900 for Richmond. UR has a somewhat larger graduate program with the Law School and Business School, but neither provides huge numbers. Furman, like Richmond is heavily endowed. Both had lovely campuses. Both draw majority of their students form out of state. Both added Men's Lacrosse this year. It would seem to me that Furman is more like Richmond than like any of the schools in the current SC, and might consider working towards a similar athletic balance.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 3rd, 2014, 01:32 PM
It's a number which is supposed to quiet talk of teams leaving, or to help keep restless teams artificially in the conference. It's a monetary amount to keep schools quiet. Ergo, "hush money". Perhaps a bit confusing on my part I'll admit.
Well I guess I was just viewing hush money as what hush money actually is so didn't get the premise.

Good deal if it shows that those in the SoCon are there to stay for a while and shut up the erroneous talk. If a conference wants to make it hurt and cover a little more of the wounding an exit does to a conference then good enough. I view it much like a buyout in football. Make it f'n worthwhile for the conference a little bit too.

So hush money is not in reference to someone being paid to keep quiet but just to squelch talk on further departures. Seems like a good idea.

chattanoogamocs
June 3rd, 2014, 01:40 PM
If anyone where to do an FOIA, they would quickly find that it is another conference, not the OVC, that has been calling and emailing David Blackburn for the last 6 months trying to convince Chattanooga to move (it's not going to happen in the foreseeable future). But, if someone truly has a better opportunity, paying a million instead of $500k isn't going to stop them (if they can't come up with the extra $500k, they shouldn't be moving anyway).

Me personally, I will miss Davidson, GSU and ASU...but I am also stoked to see ETSU come back and I am cool with VMI and Mercer. The only constant in life is change.

All I really care about is seeing if the Mocs can take that next step and get to the playoffs this years.

OL FU
June 3rd, 2014, 01:57 PM
Can't Furman try and work like Richmond to emphasize both? Richmond spent $27M building an on campus football stadium, and then followed it up with an $18M renovation of the basketball arena. Winning a FCS Football national title in 2008 and then going to the Sweet 16 in Basketball in 2011.
Schools are approximately the same size, 2,600 undergrad for Furman, 2,900 for Richmond. UR has a somewhat larger graduate program with the Law School and Business School, but neither provides huge numbers. Furman, like Richmond is heavily endowed. Both had lovely campuses. Both draw majority of their students form out of state. Both added Men's Lacrosse this year. It would seem to me that Furman is more like Richmond than like any of the schools in the current SC, and might consider working towards a similar athletic balance.

That certainly should be the goal and I actually think it is with recent coaching changes. Let me clarify, the conversations I mentioned before were by fansxnodx So yes, With Medved (Bball) Fowler (Football) and Meade (Lacrosse) we are making that effort, especially since we just spent a pile on the football field.

So let me clarify, my concern isn't now or even the immediate future. I think Furman is doing all of those things you mentioned above. But if our alumni base moves from South Carolina it will become more difficult. and since football is the most expensive sport it is also the one to worry about the most. But it is just conjecture.

PaladinFan
June 3rd, 2014, 02:25 PM
That certainly should be the goal and I actually think it is with recent coaching changes. Let me clarify, the conversations I mentioned before were by fansxnodx So yes, With Medved (Bball) Fowler (Football) and Meade (Lacrosse) we are making that effort, especially since we just spent a pile on the football field.

So let me clarify, my concern isn't now or even the immediate future. I think Furman is doing all of those things you mentioned above. But if our alumni base moves from South Carolina it will become more difficult. and since football is the most expensive sport it is also the one to worry about the most. But it is just conjecture.

This board is no place for speculation.

AshevilleApp2
June 3rd, 2014, 03:18 PM

xlolx xlolx

superman7515
June 3rd, 2014, 03:42 PM

Outstanding. xlolx

However, I speculate that you have over 7,000 posts so it's time you came up with something so you can ditch the "AGS FCS Champion" badge.

OL FU
June 3rd, 2014, 07:25 PM

Just to make sure that was a joke. Just checking

AshevilleApp2
June 4th, 2014, 06:31 AM

Took me by surprise as well. PaladinFan is usually pretty serious. Or seems to be.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Outstanding. xlolx

However, I speculate that you have over 7,000 posts so it's time you came up with something so you can ditch the "AGS FCS Champion" badge.

Has it been that long? Gah.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2014, 06:56 AM

Of course.

Though, I do think we could stand some more in-depth reporting on pre-season rankings of teams that have not played a game yet.

OL FU
June 4th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Of course.

Though, I do think we could stand some more in-depth reporting on pre-season rankings of teams that have not played a game yet.

I thought so:o

phoenix3
June 4th, 2014, 09:11 AM

I'm an early 80's grad of Elon, back when Elon's tuition and fees were around $2,000 per year. I'm a NC resident, & have been for about half of my life, (born & raised, left then came back). With tuition & fees topping out at around $40k per year now, Elon has had to embrace the "Yankee Contingent" to remain a thriving institution. When I graduated about 80% of Elon's student body was from NC and VA. Now about 20% are from NC and over half are from Maryland and north of the Mason-Dixon line. That's just simply where the students are that can afford to come to Elon. So, our alumni base has moved more to the Northeast, like it or not. I suspect the same will continue to happen to Furman. There will, I suspect, always be a large contingent from SC, but money talks, and Furman is substantially in the same money boat as Elon.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I'm an early 80's grad of Elon, back when Elon's tuition and fees were around $2,000 per year. I'm a NC resident, & have been for about half of my life, (born & raised, left then came back). With tuition & fees topping out at around $40k per year now, Elon has had to embrace the "Yankee Contingent" to remain a thriving institution. When I graduated about 80% of Elon's student body was from NC and VA. Now about 20% are from NC and over half are from Maryland and north of the Mason-Dixon line. That's just simply where the students are that can afford to come to Elon. So, our alumni base has moved more to the Northeast, like it or not. I suspect the same will continue to happen to Furman. There will, I suspect, always be a large contingent from SC, but money talks, and Furman is substantially in the same money boat as Elon.

Perhaps. Furman has strong name recognition in points west, however, that I do not believe Elon has. Furman has deep ties in Atlanta, Birmingham, Nashville, and Jacksonville. All are unique southern cities that can produce the type of student Furman looks to get.

That doesn't mean Furman isn't exploring those opportunities though. I think the lacrosse program absolutely signals an intent to try and reach for those dollars held in other parts of the country and firmly plant Furman's flag amongst some of the unreached peoples.

Forbes recently did a piece on the financial strength of private colleges (http://www.forbes.com/sites/schifrin/2013/07/24/is-your-college-going-broke/). Furman ranked 75th with an "A" rating, which is not shabby considering the wealthy New England colleges that populate the top. Elon is 296. Samford 381. Mercer is 662(!). So, while some of the finances are the same, I do think that Furman is in a strong place all things considered.

Interestingly, if you look at the move deviously, it is probably shrewd for Furman. They vote to raise the exit fee, while still being one of the only member schools that could probably easily swing the cost. Furman has worked to ensure that the other member schools sign a blood oath to the conference while still maintaining the flexibility to leave if necessary.

phoenix3
June 4th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Perhaps. Furman has strong name recognition in points west, however, that I do not believe Elon has. Furman has deep ties in Atlanta, Birmingham, Nashville, and Jacksonville. All are unique southern cities that can produce the type of student Furman looks to get.

That doesn't mean Furman isn't exploring those opportunities though. I think the lacrosse program absolutely signals an intent to try and reach for those dollars held in other parts of the country and firmly plant Furman's flag amongst some of the unreached peoples.

Forbes recently did a piece on the financial strength of private colleges (http://www.forbes.com/sites/schifrin/2013/07/24/is-your-college-going-broke/). Furman ranked 75th with an "A" rating, which is not shabby considering the wealthy New England colleges that populate the top. Elon is 296. Samford 381. Mercer is 662(!). So, while some of the finances are the same, I do think that Furman is in a strong place all things considered.

Interestingly, if you look at the move deviously, it is probably shrewd for Furman. They vote to raise the exit fee, while still being one of the only member schools that could probably easily swing the cost. Furman has worked to ensure that the other member schools sign a blood oath to the conference while still maintaining the flexibility to leave if necessary.

Good points. Plus, Furman has been "Furman" for a long time. Elon has only begun stepping into their current position over the last couple of decades. But like you said earlier, things could change in the longer term.

citdog
June 4th, 2014, 11:59 AM

40k for a school with NO PRESTIGE factor AT ALL? You're paying for Wofford or Furman and getting Winthrop. SMART

citdog
June 4th, 2014, 12:01 PM

Is that why The Citadel Brigader Club raises DOUBLE the money of your paladin club every year even though you have TWICE the number of living Alumni?

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Is that why The Citadel Brigader Club raises DOUBLE the money of your paladin club every year even though you have TWICE the number of living Alumni?

Furman really has twice the number of living alumni as the Citadel? How can that be? Both schools are old and the Citadel has probably been larger for most of that time.

I don't know the reason, but I speculate that graduates of the Citadel have as much academic hubris towards their university as any alumni group in the country.

bostonspider
June 4th, 2014, 02:07 PM
In reality I would not mind be a member of a football conference that included:

Richmond
William & Mary
VMI
Elon
Davidson
Wofford
Furman
Citadel

And have a scheduling agreement with a Patriot League that included
Georgetown
Villanova
Bucknell
Lehigh
Lafayette
Fordham
Colgate
Holy Cross

You play the 7 schools in your conference and rotate through 3 of the schools in the other conference, leaving one game for FBS.. Cap it at 60 Scholarships to appease the PL, but let these Southern "Privates" (W&M, VMI and The Citadel are close enough) figure out their own rules on AI or redshirting.

Sader87
June 4th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Not averse to this and I'd actually be surprised if something along these lines doesn't come about down the road.

That being said, not a huge fan of the inflexibility of the schedule. I'd prefer more than 1 (2 in 12 game years) game against non PL or SoCon schools.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 4th, 2014, 02:28 PM

Richmond
William & Mary
VMI
Elon
Davidson
Wofford
Furman
Citadel

Georgetown
Villanova
Bucknell
Lehigh
Lafayette
Fordham
Colgate
Holy Cross

You play the 7 schools in your conference and rotate through 3 of the schools in the other conference, leaving one game for FBS.. Cap it at 60 Scholarships to appease the PL, but let these Southern "Privates" (W&M, VMI and The Citadel are close enough) figure out their own rules on AI or redshirting.

Where do I sign?

kdinva
June 4th, 2014, 03:12 PM

Richmond
William & Mary
VMI
Elon
Davidson xsmhx
Wofford
Furman
Citadel

Georgetown
Villanova
Bucknell
Lehigh
Lafayette
Fordham
Colgate
Holy Cross

You play the 7 schools in your conference and rotate through 3 of the schools in the other conference, leaving one game for FBS.. Cap it at 60 Scholarships to appease the PL, but let these Southern "Privates" xconfusedx (W&M, VMI and The Citadel are close enough) figure out their own rules on AI or redshirting.

VMI's A.I. is as tough as any Ivy or Patriot or UR's........VMI red shirts regularly......and Davidson will never return to "full scholly" football, especially after moving all other sports to the A-10.

bostonspider
June 4th, 2014, 03:35 PM
VMI's A.I. is as tough as any Ivy or Patriot or UR's........VMI red shirts regularly......and Davidson will never return to "full scholly" football, especially after moving all other sports to the A-10.

Davidson would be the new southern's version of Georgetown.. I agree that VMI and UR should be able to decide their own academic requirements, and that unlike the PL, redshirting should be allowed.

OL FU
June 4th, 2014, 03:47 PM

Richmond
William & Mary
VMI
Elon
Davidson
Wofford
Furman
Citadel

Georgetown
Villanova
Bucknell
Lehigh
Lafayette
Fordham
Colgate
Holy Cross

whether true or not there was discussion on a Lacrosse board that the reason Richmond wouldn't be interested in a conference pointing south, is for basically the same thing I have been discussing for future FU problems. Too many students from the north so that would not be advantageous to their student body.

I think most in the SoCon (especially us old timers - school wise) would love to have Richmond and W&M back or have a new conference similar to that. But I think football only is the way the Va schools would join and it would be what would keep the rest of the schools on the list from signing up.

- - - Updated - - -

and yes Davidson is a no go.

citdog
June 4th, 2014, 05:22 PM

How does VMI Redshirt players with no Graduate School? Your 5 year man have to spend an extra semester as a Cadet?

bostonspider
June 4th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Well as a Spider fan, I would probably most like the PL seven, Villanova, Richmond, W&M, Furman and Wofford in a 12 team conference. We and Nova would be football only members. Divide into two divisions, with Georgetown joining the new comers.

Jiggs
June 4th, 2014, 06:05 PM
there is no local elon alumni or student interest in those schools and vice versa.

Or maybe there are no local Elon alumni.

kdinva
June 4th, 2014, 07:49 PM
How does VMI Redshirt players with no Graduate School? Your 5 year man have to spend an extra semester as a Cadet?

yes, ninth semester (and 10th semester for a few Track and baseball folks) as cadets, uniform, most formations.........they tolerate that, but the biggest pain for 5th year cadets is that VMI's B.O.V. makes those cadets take the school minimum 12 credit hours per semester, not the NCAA approved 6 hours/semester for 5th year folks. xbangx xflamemadx

Once this Supe retires in the next 2-3 years, we hope the new Supe will be smarter and lobby the BOV for more common sense stuff in Barracks.

whoanellie
June 4th, 2014, 08:34 PM
NOBODY CARES. Shrimp and Grits is from Charleston you ignorant wretch. Shrimp & Grits IS a low country specialty... Furman you and the horse you road in on. your a prickly-pear cactus with ears. and confirm the stereotypes associated with your Alum-base.... adios

superman7515
June 4th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Once this Supe retires in the next 2-3 years, we hope the new Supe will be smarter and lobby the BOV for more common sense stuff in Barracks.

Who are these other Supe's you speak of!?!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=XR8_GfIXIBSxBM&tbnid=74EpUFPoDRCZKM&ved=0CAUQjBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blackborder.com%2Fq%2Fsites%2 Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fimages%2Fhighlander.jpg&ei=48qPU9HoMZCFqgb4p4KIDg&psig=AFQjCNE9UmBqvVxnb7LsEHR1Xslh2gUNYw&ust=1402018915902265

citdog
June 5th, 2014, 12:09 AM
yes, ninth semester (and 10th semester for a few Track and baseball folks) as cadets, uniform, most formations.........they tolerate that, but the biggest pain for 5th year cadets is that VMI's B.O.V. makes those cadets take the school minimum 12 credit hours per semester, not the NCAA approved 6 hours/semester for 5th year folks. xbangx xflamemadx

That's some SIMPLE **** right there. I think i'd have told them EXACTLY where to go.

phoenix3
June 5th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Or maybe there are no local Elon alumni.

Bingo. And I think that was the point.

Sitting Bull
June 6th, 2014, 06:06 AM

Richmond
William & Mary
VMI
Elon
Davidson
Wofford
Furman
Citadel

Georgetown
Villanova
Bucknell
Lehigh
Lafayette
Fordham
Colgate
Holy Cross

That's a nice line-up though I prefer, and think W&M would as well, the current CAA for football and all sports.

Delaware is the key. Right now, I think W&M and UD are both linked in the same aspirations and the desire to build through the CAA the best possible all sports conference.

Should anything change that, I think W&M would fall right into this option.

Sandlapper Spike
June 6th, 2014, 11:50 AM
That's a nice line-up though I prefer, and think W&M would as well, the current CAA for football and all sports.

Delaware is the key. Right now, I think W&M and UD are both linked in the same aspirations and the desire to build through the CAA the best possible all sports conference.

Should anything change that, I think W&M would fall right into this option.

Which is why JMU is an ancillary part of this discussion as well, I would suggest. If JMU moved, it would leave Delaware on a bit of an island.

Sandlapper Spike
June 6th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Where do I sign?

I don't know about the actual conference setup above (Davidson and Elon aren't rejoining the SoCon), but I will be mildly surprised if there isn't a scheduling arrangement in the near future between several of the current SoCon schools, UR/W&M, and the Patriot League schools (save Georgetown).

OL FU
June 6th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Interesting Furman just announced that we will play Elon in 2017 and 2018.

walliver
June 6th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Interesting Furman just announced that we will play Elon in 2017 and 2018.

Trying to get a CAA invite? ;)

superman7515
June 6th, 2014, 05:50 PM

We're gonna trade UNC Wilmington to the SoCon and get Furman back in return. Not too shabby from this end.

OL FU
June 7th, 2014, 10:08 AM

:) I remember when Furman first scheduled CCU the rumors were swirling that this was an acknowledgement that CCU would be invited to the SoCon:)

walliver
June 7th, 2014, 10:10 AM
:) I remember when Furman first scheduled CCU the rumors were swirling that this was an acknowledgement that CCU would be invited to the SoCon:)

Maybe that's because the 2 previous local FCS teams did join the SoCon.

OL FU
June 7th, 2014, 10:19 AM

PS, taking a look at your schedule which DII conference is Wofford trying to join?;)

CID1990
June 7th, 2014, 10:33 AM
furman will only leave the socon if the socon ceases to exist

walliver
June 7th, 2014, 10:44 AM
PS, taking a look at your schedule which DII conference is Wofford trying to join?;)

Originally had just one, but Jacksonville cancelled with short notice.

Our home schedule is less than exciting. Only The Citadel is of little interest. In fact, if buying season tickets this year, they are throwing in free Georgia Tech tickets.

OL FU
June 7th, 2014, 10:54 AM

Our home schedule is less than exciting. Only The Citadel is of little interest. In fact, if buying season tickets this year, they are throwing in free Georgia Tech tickets.

That's a pretty good deal with Yellow Jacket Tickets thrown in. Nice short ride to Atlanta.xthumbsupx

walliver
June 7th, 2014, 02:55 PM
That's a pretty good deal with Yellow Jacket Tickets thrown in. Nice short ride to Atlanta.xthumbsupx

To me, the best part of visiting Atlanta is leaving Atlanta.

I'll probably make the game anyway.

citdog
June 7th, 2014, 03:45 PM

We will do what we always do. PACK your visitors side and wonder why woffy has NO fans. We'll also be winning this year.

dungeonjoe
June 7th, 2014, 07:17 PM
We will do what we always do. PACK your visitors side and wonder why woffy has NO fans. We'll also be winning this year.
Will you be leading the charge on Spartanburg this year or striking the tent out West?

citdog
June 7th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Will you be leading the charge on Spartanburg this year or striking the tent out West?

I'm going to cross the Clark Fork and "rest in the shade of the trees".

dungeonjoe
June 7th, 2014, 08:35 PM
I'm going to cross the Clark Fork and "rest in the shade of the trees".
as long as a grizzly doesn't disturb your rest...

Hope you are doing well and teaching the folks out there about the finer things of the South.

However, you may need to come back to SC. I understand there is a set piece battle brewing in Charleston about Confederate flags in Summerall Chapel.

citdog
June 7th, 2014, 08:42 PM
as long as a grizzly doesn't disturb your rest...

Hope you are doing well and teaching the folks out there about the finer things of the South.

However, you may need to come back to SC. I understand there is a set piece battle brewing in Charleston about Confederate flags in Summerall Chapel.

Just one and the SC Attorney General knows where the real power in the State lies. xthumbsupx

OL FU
June 8th, 2014, 09:19 AM
To me, the best part of visiting Atlanta is leaving Atlanta.

I'll probably make the game anyway.

You're telling me:) I am waiting for the reincarnation of William Tecumseh Sherman:o

phoenix3
June 8th, 2014, 09:51 PM

Furman's already had a CAA invite. I, for one, wish they hadn't turned it down.

citdog
June 8th, 2014, 09:57 PM

VERY glad you didn't.

walliver
June 9th, 2014, 01:21 PM
The CAA doesn't make much sense for FU. Currently, they are geographically in the center of a conference where 100% of all conference athletic events in all sports are a reasonable bus or van drive away.

In the CAA. FU would be a geographic outlier in football with markedly increased travel expenses.

When CofC made their move, they had done studies demonstrating that, even with TV money, a move would be a financially break-even proposition IF Davidson moved with them, and a slight money loser if Davey didn't move. Adding in football expenses, I suspect a move would be a money-loser for FU.

CID1990
June 9th, 2014, 02:18 PM

The CAA may as well invite Stanford they have an equal chance of getting them

CID1990
June 9th, 2014, 02:19 PM

The Citadel is apparently trying to join the Big South

OL FU
June 11th, 2014, 11:04 AM
The Citadel is apparently trying to join the Big South

FU too. GW, PC and CCU. We have SC State but I don't think the MEAC would let us in:)

Lehigh Football Nation
June 11th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Dude, Furman would fit perfect in the Southern wing of the Patriot League...

OL FU
June 11th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Dude, Furman would fit perfect in the Southern wing of the Patriot League...

Unless you count Georgetown, wouldn't we be the lone team in the Southern wing.xeyebrowx

citdog
June 11th, 2014, 01:01 PM

This is why we should NEVER have compromised with those who want to eradicate all memorials to our Gallant Confederate Dead. We WON this one.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140610/PC16/140619971/1177

The Confederate Naval Jack flag in Summerall Chapel at The Citadel is allowed under state law, the Attorney General's Office said Tuesday.
"In our opinion, this flag would be protected in its present location by the Heritage Act as a 'monument' or 'memorial' erected on public property of the state," Solicitor General Robert D. Cook said in a letter to the two senators requesting the opinion.
"The General Assembly has mandated, by virtue of the Heritage Act, that monuments and memorials honoring the gallantry and sacrifice of this state's various wars are protected," Cook says.
"It is thus our opinion that the flag referenced in your letter, the Confederate Battle Flag, placed in Summerall Chapel in 1939 is protected by the Heritage Act," Cook wrote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faMZeh_vmVU

walliver
June 11th, 2014, 03:36 PM
FU too. GW, PC and CCU. We have SC State but I don't think the MEAC would let us in:)

Your band isn't up to their standards.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
June 12th, 2014, 11:33 AM

I think the stability is reflected more in the conference members invited after the recent four departures. 1 private school, 2 smaller schools, two former members. I have no idea what ETSU's plans for the future are but they would be the one that might be inclined to move up but I would imagine location and just starting back football after an absence would suggest at least not for a while if ever.

I agree with you regarding ETSU's plans to leave anytime soon. I believe Noland will make a wise decision regarding ETSU's relationship with the SoCon. Speaking as an ETSU alumnus, I am excited to see ETSU come back to the SoCon.

walliver
June 13th, 2014, 07:50 AM
I agree with you regarding ETSU's plans to leave anytime soon. I believe Noland will make a wise decision regarding ETSU's relationship with the SoCon. Speaking as an ETSU alumnus, I am excited to see ETSU come back to the SoCon.

I suspect Chatty would join the Sun Belt before ETSU, and I don't think that is eminent.

If Chatty leaves, ETSU might be tempted to leave, but where would they go?

superman7515
June 13th, 2014, 09:41 AM
I suspect Chatty would join the Sun Belt before ETSU, and I don't think that is eminent.

If Chatty leaves, ETSU might be tempted to leave, but where would they go?

Their only real option would be back to the OVC. Goodness knows the OVC loves Tennessee.

Sir William
June 13th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Their only real option would be back to the OVC. Goodness knows the OVC loves Tennessee.

ETSU was a member of the OVC from '58-'78, before joining the SoCon in '79. If they were going to re-join them, it would have already happened, with the renewal of football. The likelihood that they would leave the SoCon for the OVC (all circumstances remaining the same) makes little sense and is highly and doubtfully speculative.

To my knowledge, UTC has never been a member of the OVC...at least participating as a football or basketball member. As above, if UTC was interested in joining the OVC, it would have happened decades ago.

superman7515
June 13th, 2014, 11:19 AM
ETSU was a member of the OVC from '58-'78, before joining the SoCon in '79. If they were going to re-join them, it would have already happened, with the renewal of football. The likelihood that they would leave the SoCon for the OVC (all circumstances remaining the same) makes little sense and is highly and doubtfully speculative.

To my knowledge, UTC has never been a member of the OVC...at least participating as a football or basketball member. As above, if UTC was interested in joining the OVC, it would have happened decades ago.

Nowhere in my brief post did I say anything to imply ETSU was going to go to the OVC, nor did anyone say a single word about UTC going to the OVC.

What was said... Chattanooga would go to the Sun Belt before ETSU and that's not going to happen any time soon. If Chattanooga left and ETSU decided to leave, where would they go? One realistic option if they were to leave due to Chattanooga going FBS is for them to rejoin the OVC which has numerous other Tennessee schools.

Reading is fundamental.

Sir William
June 13th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Take it easy, Sup. I wasn't arguing with you...just stating some insights on the 2 TN SoCon schools.

Don't read too much emotion in the post. It isn't there.

walliver
June 14th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Take it easy, Sup. I wasn't arguing with you...just stating some insights on the 2 TN SoCon schools.

Don't read too much emotion in the post. It isn't there.

I think ETSU will stay put this time. When they left previously it was not completely voluntary, they were actually kicked out - primarily for demanding VMI be kicked out for downgrading football and then dropping football themselves.

The problem with the OVC is that ETSU is in the extreme east of Tennessee, and is geographically closer to more SoCon than OVC schools.