PDA

View Full Version : SLC first conference to have all games utilize instant replay

Sammy94
May 21st, 2014, 03:42 PM
Meeting at the Westin Stonebriar Hotel in Frisco, the Southland board moved on the immediate implementation of full replay for football, regardless of television coverage of games, instead of the limited method of halftime review for first-half targeting fouls that was recently approved by the NCAA.

"The board, based on the input provided by our football coaches and athletic directors in recent weeks, was very firm in its approval of full instant replay at our stadiums," Southland commissioner Tom Burnett said. "While there are numerous details ahead and some challenges to work through, the presidents were ready to get the process started and ensure our league was at the forefront of replay usage at the Division I Football Championship Subdivision level."

The Southland Conference is the first FCS league to fully commit to having all games utilize instant replay. The NCAA Division I Football Championship has replay for its playoff games, and a number of other FCS leagues have implemented replay only for televised games. Within its longstanding officiating consortium with the Big 12 and Mountain West conferences, the Southland will draw from the pool of replay officials already being trained.

Also, a computerized football ratings system, the NCAA Simple Rating System (SRS) will be integrated into the conference's tie-breaking procedures in the case of two teams tying for the championship (and NCAA automatic bid) if the tie cannot first be decided in the numerous other competitive scenarios.

Nice to see the stupid tie breaker rule is also going away in the SLC

http://www.southland.org/news/2014/5/21/FB_0521143716.aspx (http://www.southland.org/news/2014/5/21/FB_0521143716.aspx)

Nickels
May 21st, 2014, 03:45 PM
Meeting at the Westin Stonebriar Hotel in Frisco, the Southland board moved on the immediate implementation of full replay for football, regardless of television coverage of games, instead of the limited method of halftime review for first-half targeting fouls that was recently approved by the NCAA.

"The board, based on the input provided by our football coaches and athletic directors in recent weeks, was very firm in its approval of full instant replay at our stadiums," Southland commissioner Tom Burnett said. "While there are numerous details ahead and some challenges to work through, the presidents were ready to get the process started and ensure our league was at the forefront of replay usage at the Division I Football Championship Subdivision level."

The Southland Conference is the first FCS league to fully commit to having all games utilize instant replay. The NCAA Division I Football Championship has replay for its playoff games, and a number of other FCS leagues have implemented replay only for televised games. Within its longstanding officiating consortium with the Big 12 and Mountain West conferences, the Southland will draw from the pool of replay officials already being trained.

Also, a computerized football ratings system, the NCAA Simple Rating System (SRS) will be integrated into the conference's tie-breaking procedures in the case of two teams tying for the championship (and NCAA automatic bid) if the tie cannot first be decided in the numerous other competitive scenarios.

Nice to see the stupid tie breaker rule is also going away in the SLC

http://www.southland.org/news/2014/5/21/FB_0521143716.aspx (http://www.southland.org/news/2014/5/21/FB_0521143716.aspx)
The bigger news is the stupid tie breaker rule going away.

clenz
May 21st, 2014, 03:48 PM
False with being the first conference.

The MVFC announced they were going to over a month ago

Professor Chaos
May 21st, 2014, 06:36 PM

Let em have it. The MVFC takes the SLC's lunch money everywhere else already.... except in number of FBS transfers.

centennial
May 21st, 2014, 06:50 PM
Let em have it. The MVFC takes the SLC's lunch money everywhere else already.... except in number of FBS transfers.
Texas has a lot of FBS players that want to move closer. #buttclosetohome

SUPharmacist
May 21st, 2014, 06:51 PM
Am I the only one that despises instant replay. In my opinion it totally destroys the flow of the games for not much added benefit. The rare horrific call that vastly impacts the outcome of a game just adds to the history on both sides, and drives rivalries. Getting screwed just prepares players more for real life, and teaches them to fight to overcome all obstacles. But then again I am most likely just a crazy person.

clenz
May 21st, 2014, 06:56 PM
Yeah...forget getting calls that can completely change the game right....Ain't nobody got time for that

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

TexasTerror
May 21st, 2014, 07:07 PM

Funny enough... the Missouri Valley was not the first conference to go to instant replay according to the below link I am providing. However, the Southland has been clear that they are the FIRST conference with full implementation. The Missouri Valley does not have this...

" The Missouri Valley Football Conference will begin implementing instant replay during the 2014 season. But compliance won't be required. Some member schools plan to use the technology – at least part of the time – and others don't. Although not ideal, it's similar to the recent past when replay was in play for games against FBS squads and in the playoffs. This is the first step toward wholesale implementation, which Valley associate commissioner Mike Kern said could happen in the next five years or so."

"The Valley becomes the fourth conference in the FCS to get on board with replay, following the Big South, the MEAC and the SWAC."

(Credit: Argus Leader (www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/2014/05/01/first-pitch-instant-replay-way-missouri-valley/8550045/))

JayJ79
May 21st, 2014, 10:22 PM
of course, one must keep in mind that the efficacy of video review often depends quite a bit on the quality of camerawork/production.
big network televised games have many more cameras, higher tech equipment, and very skilled operators.

In many FCS games..... not so much.

Nickels
May 21st, 2014, 10:54 PM
of course, one must keep in mind that the efficacy of video review often depends quite a bit on the quality of camerawork/production.
big network televised games have many more cameras, higher tech equipment, and very skilled operators.

In many FCS games..... not so much.
We also get the FBS reject zebras. Officiating is getting worse and worse every year (kind of like America). Having said that, if a crappy production team CAN spot an error, I'm all for changing the call. It wont make as much of an impact as an SEC game but it will at least flip the most glaring officiating errors.

walliver
May 22nd, 2014, 09:03 AM
Am I the only one that despises instant replay. In my opinion it totally destroys the flow of the games for not much added benefit. The rare horrific call that vastly impacts the outcome of a game just adds to the history on both sides, and drives rivalries. Getting screwed just prepares players more for real life, and teaches them to fight to overcome all obstacles. But then again I am most likely just a crazy person.

You aren't the only one.

My complaint with instant replay is that it completely disrupts the flow of the game. Bad calls are part of the game, but how far do you go to "perfect" the game. Almost every spot of the ball is error-prone. We measure for first downs, but no-one ever really checks when initially setting up the first down markers.

clenz
May 22nd, 2014, 09:19 AM
You aren't the only one.

My complaint with instant replay is that it completely disrupts the flow of the game. Bad calls are part of the game, but how far do you go to "perfect" the game. Almost every spot of the ball is error-prone. We measure for first downs, but no-one ever really checks when initially setting up the first down markers.
That part of the game I can "live with".

It's the "there's no way he was in bounds (or not in bounds) on that catch" or the "That was clearly a fumble, how the hell did you miss that" type calls that I want to see fixed.

Spotting of the ball, and chains, will always be an imperfect science for about 100 reasons. However, there are times that are CLEARLY so erroneously bad that it needs to be fixed.

I'm all for taking 4 minutes to get the right call, even if it "disrupts my feel of what the flow of the game is".

If anything disrupts the flow of a game it's the damn media time outs.

I have more of an issue with the refs taking 10 seconds to spot the ball for the first 28 minutes of each half and then figuring they could move quickly. If they spotted the ball at that pace all game there could be an extra series or two per game (if not more)

FormerPokeCenter
May 22nd, 2014, 09:31 AM
This will make an immediate, major improvement in the level of SLC officiating. The only thing that would make it better would be to buy glasses for all SLC officials and to show them what a rule book looks like...

Bisonator
May 22nd, 2014, 12:00 PM
I'm not one for replaying every questionable call but when it's clearly a blown call it should be reviewed. Not to mention with the targeting rule, if a guy blows that call it could cost you not just one game but possibly 2 if it happens in the second half.

clenz
May 22nd, 2014, 12:40 PM
I'm not one for replaying every questionable call but when it's clearly a blown call it should be reviewed. Not to mention with the targeting rule, if a guy blows that call it could cost you not just one game but possibly 2 if it happens in the second half.
I forgot to mention that but that hurt UNI twice last year.

The first was in the second half against Drake and a starting OLB was called for targeting and kicked out and then missed the first half of the next game. Thankfully the next game was Northern Colorado so it didn't matter much.

The second time may have had a BIG impact on the loss to USD.

With less than 30 seconds left in the first half against USD Tim Kilfoy was called for targeting and missed the entire second half and both overtimes. At that point in the game he was near the top in tackles and had forced a fumble.

Both replays CLEARLY...I mean clearly, even on a 12 inch black and white tv from 1951...show the defenders hitting with their shoulders and the chest/shoulder area of the receiver.

The Drake hit sucked because it cost Sam Tim a half in our next game (as well as nearly 2 full quarters against Drake) but that wasn't a huge deal. The Kilfoy one hurt though

Yotes
May 22nd, 2014, 01:32 PM
I'm all for the replay. I, like every other fan ever, can name many times where my team was screwed by the lack of replay, and would rather not deal with botched calls.

citdog
May 22nd, 2014, 04:25 PM
The Cyclops often make mistakes that are easily corrected. Let's fix those glaring errors and make the game better. Good for the Southland!