PDA

View Full Version : SouthernPigskin.com Spring SoCon Predictions

The Cats
May 19th, 2014, 10:03 PM
This has been out for a couple of weeks, but I didn't see it posted here (my apologies if I missed it).

The spring Southern Pigskins SoCon predictions for order of finish.

1. Chattanooga
2. Furman
3. Samford
4. Wofford
5. The Citadel
6. Western Carolina
7. Merce
8. VMI

http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/spring-socon-predictions/

PaladinFan
May 19th, 2014, 10:19 PM
It might have been, but we need to talk some SoCon football around here.

I tend to agree with the rankings. I think UTC and Furman will be the two best teams. Samford is a dark horse that will go as their new transfer QB goes. Wofford will be talented, but really were outplayed last season by the top three teams. Cannot count Ayers out, but they really struggled defending the pass last year, and those top three teams will be led by perhaps the best QB crop the SoCon has had in a while.

Not sure what the Citadel is bringing to the table. Last year was supposed to be their senior-laden team that was supposed to take the next step. Didn't happen for them.

Mercer will be interesting to watch. Talent there, but the jump to the SoCon is a big one in terms of talent and depth. I believe they will still be playing with about 1/3 the scholarships of most of their schedule. Not sure if that's enough to stay out of the cellar.

What's WCU looking like this season? I've kind of lost track of where they are trending.

citdog
May 19th, 2014, 10:32 PM
We'll be lucky to finish above last. We've got nothing.

seantaylor
May 20th, 2014, 02:33 AM
Wofford will win the league

ThompsonThe
May 20th, 2014, 03:16 AM
No, believe Chatty will finally lead and win from the start. Rooting for Furman, but afraid UTC will win comfortably.

PaladinFan
May 20th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Wofford will win the league

I don't see it. You look at their team from last year, and Wofford was grossly out manned in the passing game. They cannot throw it and they cannot keep people from throwing it. Their losses last year all came against teams that can air it out (with the notable exception of GWU, which was played in a maelstrom). Their wins were all against teams that do not have significant passing attacks.

PaladinFan
May 20th, 2014, 07:39 AM
No, believe Chatty will finally lead and win from the start. Rooting for Furman, but afraid UTC will win comfortably.

Notable that Furman plays UTC, Samford, and Wofford in Greenville.

Key to UTC's season will be whether they find guys to fill in the notable losses on their defense. Not an easy group to replace.

The Cats
May 20th, 2014, 08:59 AM
We'll be lucky to finish above last. We've got nothing.

I tend to agree.

citdog
May 20th, 2014, 10:00 AM
I'm afraid that the ghost of Bob Waters will not be avaliable so wcu will be In their usual position bringing up the rear. But hey at least y'all finally won a Div I game!

PaladinFan
May 20th, 2014, 01:26 PM
I'm afraid that the ghost of Bob Waters will not be avaliable so wcu will be In their usual position bringing up the rear. But hey at least y'all finally won a Div I game!

You think WCU loses to Mercer or VMI?

dungeonjoe
May 20th, 2014, 03:37 PM
I don't see it. You look at their team from last year, and Wofford was grossly out manned in the passing game. They cannot throw it and they cannot keep people from throwing it. Their losses last year all came against teams that can air it out (with the notable exception of GWU, which was played in a maelstrom). Their wins were all against teams that do not have significant passing attacks.
I really love it when Wofford is picked low. In the past few years, the odds have been that when Wofford is picked low they always exceed expectations gloriously. Please keep putting them lower, PF. Southernpigskin may be correct...but odds are...we may look at this thread different in December.

PaladinFan
May 20th, 2014, 04:33 PM
I really love it when Wofford is picked low. In the past few years, the odds have been that when Wofford is picked low they always exceed expectations gloriously. Please keep putting them lower, PF. Southernpigskin may be correct...but odds are...we may look at this thread different in December.

You tell me why I should pick Wofford high, then.

These are just my opinions, but I have Wofford behind three teams that beat them last season, two of which were by double digits. They were extremely poor in pass defense last year, eclipsed only by woeful Elon (who surrendered 255 yards passing to Furman's Duncan Fletcher, a fourth string freshman in his first college start now moved to TE). They beat teams that were not good throwing teams. They lost to teams that could air it out a bit. 2014 will see perhaps the best QB class the SoCon has seen since Martin and Richie Williams. They are going to have to defend the pass to be in the conversation.

You cannot count Mike Ayers out, but for the purposes of useless preseason rankings, I think they should be ranked behind the teams that beat them last year. They need more consistent QB play (the offense was quite bad last season), they need better pass coverage, and they need to replace perhaps their best player of offense and defense. Fix those two things and they'll be in the conversation.

Again, just my opinion.

dungeonjoe
May 20th, 2014, 04:56 PM
First, no team will be an exact copy of last year. You overlook the recruiting, reps/experience that the terriers will have. A whole stable of RBs, deep at QB plus coaching are qued for '14. We are thin at OLB not in the secondary this year.

The Cats
May 20th, 2014, 09:22 PM

The Citadel beat WCU 28-21 last year. That's a lot to thump your chest about.

You come back to Cullowhee this season, and there might just be a surprise or two in store for the Bulldogs. Last year's game was a winnable game for WCU, and this year's game will certainly will be winnable for the Cats. Better start dreading the Cullowhee trip, right now. xnodxxnodx

citdog
May 21st, 2014, 01:20 AM
Better start dreading the Cullowhee trip, right now. xnodxxnodx

Said no one EVER

OL FU
May 21st, 2014, 06:29 AM

I am guessing you had your every 4 year drop off (which I thought you were over) but apparently not. Not sure where you finish (not sure where we finish) but I am certain WC will be better than last year.

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2014, 06:57 AM
I am guessing you had your every 4 year drop off (which I thought you were over) but apparently not. Not sure where you finish (not sure where we finish) but I am certain WC will be better than last year.

I don't disagree Wofford will be a tough out. I also think this is the best team Furman has fielded since 2005 and perhaps the best UTC team of the last 20 or 30 years. I would have those two finishing 1, 2 in the conference even if GSU and App State were still hanging around.

OL FU
May 21st, 2014, 07:52 AM
I don't disagree Wofford will be a tough out. I also think this is the best team Furman has fielded since 2005 and perhaps the best UTC team of the last 20 or 30 years. I would have those two finishing 1, 2 in the conference even if GSU and App State were still hanging around.

I'm not disagreeing with you. The way Furman finished almost requires one to put them near the top. I will admit I have trepidation mainly because of just how terrible the first part of the season was. But I am certainly confident due to the last part of the year.

Wofford, I don't know. I used to keep up with everybody way more than I actually had time for. But I know historically (and as I said I thought they were over this). Ever 4 years they tank. They then move up quickly and then last year or two before the next tank year they are at the top again. So who knows.

Sir William
May 21st, 2014, 08:07 AM
On paper, Wofford may be a "way to early for" preseason #4 in the SoCon.

On paper.

Wofford knows how to win. Don't doubt their ability to bite.

walliver
May 21st, 2014, 09:34 AM
The key to Wofford's success revolves around the QB. Last year's QB by committee was not productive. We led ASU and FU at halftime, and were tied with Samford in the 3d quarter, but struggled mightily on offense down the stretch in all three games. We had opportunities against Chattanooga, but couldn't make the big play. The offense forgot to show up against Gardner-Webb. All 5 of those games were potentially winnable. On the other hand, we could have easily lost to Elon and Western.

This year, we will have a new QB (a redshirt freshman is first on the depth chart). Our anticipated 5th year senior linemen decided to graduate and move on with their lives. There may have been some chemistry issues last year, and hopefully the new line will gel quickly.

We will have our third DC in 3 years. Last year's DC was apparently struggling with marital issues and stress during the 2013 season, and resigned to enter the lay ministry. We promoted from within, so the defense probably won't change much in style.

There is great opportunity for 2014, but great risk - it all depends on how well the younger players step up to the plate.

Playoffs will be difficult. We play an 11 game schedule with two sub D-I teams (Jacksonville unexpectedly backed out at the last minute and was replaced with UVA-Wise). We play AT Furman and Chatty for the second year in a row (apparently our administration is happy with this as it splits up the FU and Citadel games). Replacing ASU and GSU with VMI and Mercer won't help strength of schedule. On the other hand, Mike Ayers generally doesn't have two bad years in a row.

On a happier note, Elon lost in the play-in game in the baseball tournament, and is effectively no longer in the SoCon.

OL FU
May 21st, 2014, 10:22 AM
The key to Wofford's success revolves around the QB. Last year's QB by committee was not productive. We led ASU and FU at halftime, and were tied with Samford in the 3d quarter, but struggled mightily on offense down the stretch in all three games. We had opportunities against Chattanooga, but couldn't make the big play. The offense forgot to show up against Gardner-Webb. All 5 of those games were potentially winnable. On the other hand, we could have easily lost to Elon and Western.

This year, we will have a new QB (a redshirt freshman is first on the depth chart). Our anticipated 5th year senior linemen decided to graduate and move on with their lives. There may have been some chemistry issues last year, and hopefully the new line will gel quickly.

We will have our third DC in 3 years. Last year's DC was apparently struggling with marital issues and stress during the 2013 season, and resigned to enter the lay ministry. We promoted from within, so the defense probably won't change much in style.

There is great opportunity for 2014, but great risk - it all depends on how well the younger players step up to the plate.

Playoffs will be difficult. We play an 11 game schedule with two sub D-I teams (Jacksonville unexpectedly backed out at the last minute and was replaced with UVA-Wise). We play AT Furman and Chatty for the second year in a row (apparently our administration is happy with this as it splits up the FU and Citadel games). Replacing ASU and GSU with VMI and Mercer won't help strength of schedule. On the other hand, Mike Ayers generally doesn't have two bad years in a row.

On a happier note, Elon lost in the play-in game in the baseball tournament, and is effectively no longer in the SoCon.

Elon was in the SoConxeyebrowx

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2014, 11:40 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you. The way Furman finished almost requires one to put them near the top. I will admit I have trepidation mainly because of just how terrible the first part of the season was. But I am certainly confident due to the last part of the year.

Wofford, I don't know. I used to keep up with everybody way more than I actually had time for. But I know historically (and as I said I thought they were over this). Ever 4 years they tank. They then move up quickly and then last year or two before the next tank year they are at the top again. So who knows.

A lot rides on Reese Hannon.

Furman lost only three games last year Hannon started - LSU, Coastal, and NDSU. All three on the road. He's a big part of what Furman can do this season.

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2014, 11:46 AM

The quarterback play was concerning, I think. I also think you see some similarities in the Furman, App, and Samford games. Game was close until Wofford's opponent seemed to abandon trying to establish the run, and focus heavily on intermediate passing routes.

Wofford's defensive backs seemed to bail on virtually every snap in an effort to keep everything in front of them. That was, in my opinion, their biggest issue. Hard to beat a good QB when you concede 15 yards to his receivers every snap. Hannon threw for 326 against Wofford, but only to four receivers (and two were running backs). That suggests not a lot of adjustments were being made.

Also, having Dakota Dozier helped. His road grading against Wofford was a key in the second half (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10882695). Head over to the :45 mark to watch how to clear a hole on the goal line.

AshevilleApp2
May 21st, 2014, 02:47 PM
I miss this ****.

walliver
May 21st, 2014, 04:00 PM
Wofford's defensive backs seemed to bail on virtually every snap in an effort to keep everything in front of them. That was, in my opinion, their biggest issue. Hard to beat a good QB when you concede 15 yards to his receivers every snap. Hannon threw for 326 against Wofford, but only to four receivers (and two were running backs). That suggests not a lot of adjustments were being made.

Hopefully the new DC will help with that. By the end of last year, frustration had set in, and the team actually seemed to get worse every week.

The Cats
May 21st, 2014, 06:21 PM
Said no one EVER

Maybe you're right, no need in being miserable coming to Cullowhee and leaving Cullowhee.

You will be miserable on your trip back home.

CID1990
May 21st, 2014, 11:52 PM
Maybe you're right, no need in being miserable coming to Cullowhee and leaving Cullowhee.

You will be miserable on your trip back home.

one of these days that busted clock will be correct

citdog
May 21st, 2014, 11:58 PM
Elon was in the SoConxeyebrowx

soon to be rid of ALL the whiners, bitchers, and sister rapers.

seantaylor
May 22nd, 2014, 12:08 AM

Lol. Keep saying that.

citdog
May 22nd, 2014, 12:20 AM
Lol. Keep saying that.

Can't wait to humble your 'fbs' squad next year.

PaladinFan
May 22nd, 2014, 06:53 AM
Lol. Keep saying that.

Furman beat the stuffing out of App State. Furman also beat Georgia Southern on their home turf (and took a knee when they could have piled on more). Absolutely I have them ahead of those two.

CID1990
May 22nd, 2014, 07:42 AM
Furman beat the stuffing out of App State. Furman also beat Georgia Southern on their home turf (and took a knee when they could have piled on more). Absolutely I have them ahead of those two.

dont feed the troll

he's only back here because he's a pariah on Sun Blet bbs

PaladinFan
May 22nd, 2014, 08:59 AM
dont feed the troll

he's only back here because he's a pariah on Sun Blet bbs

I was wondering what the most intelligent comment ever written was that began with "lol"

seantaylor
May 23rd, 2014, 04:10 AM
Furman is a joke. Want to clue me in on their playoff record of late?

elon77
May 23rd, 2014, 03:12 PM
Elon was in the SoConxeyebrowx And just think, if they had left a year earlier, Furman might have had one less loss last year. :)

OL FU
May 25th, 2014, 08:28 AM
And just think, if they had left a year earlier, Furman might have had one less loss last year. :)

Exactlyxlolx:o

ThompsonThe
May 25th, 2014, 12:32 PM
You think WCU loses to Mercer or VMI?

Believe WCU will lose to Mercer, but beat VMI.

chattownmocs
May 25th, 2014, 06:53 PM
People do realize that mercer played in a non-scholarship league last year and got blown out twice right?

The Cats
May 25th, 2014, 07:13 PM
People do realize that mercer played in a non-scholarship league last year and got blown out twice right?

You know ASU and GUS posters always come up with that crap, nothing needs to make sense in their effort to belittle any Southern Conference school or the league itself.

PaladinFan
May 25th, 2014, 07:55 PM

I saw them play several times. They did lose to the two better Pioneer league teams they played, both on long road trips to California and New York.

Their schedule was not impressive at all. Still, they took the field as a first year program and routinely beat other established PL programs weekly. I think the jump to the SoCon is a massive one, though. I'm not sure Mercer even played anyone as good as Western Carolina last season.

I tend to agree with you, though. They've got a good head coach with a track record of success in the SoCon. They will also have about 1/3 of the scholarships of their conference opponents and play against far more veteran teams that have been in this league for decades. WCU isn't great, but their players have played against really good teams their entire career. I think that counts for something.

smallcollegefbfan
May 25th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Lindys SoCon picks
1. Chattanooga
2. Wofford
3. Furman
4. Samford
5. The Citadel
6. WCU
7. Mercer
8. VMI

I would personally flip Furman and Wofford but could see either way. If Samford can find a good replacement at QB and RB, along with have someone step up to replace their LB, they could be in the top 2.

smallcollegefbfan
May 25th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Sporting News SoCon picks
1. Chttanoga
2. Furman
3. Wofford
4. Samford
5. The Citadel
6. Mercer
7. WCU
8. VMI

I would flip Mercer and WCU if it were me.

The Cats
May 26th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Sporting News SoCon picks
1. Chttanoga
2. Furman
3. Wofford
4. Samford
5. The Citadel
6. Mercer
7. WCU
8. VMI

I would flip Mercer and WCU if it were me.

That's why you are posting on a fan board, showing your lack of knowledge about the SoCon and Mercer.

thirdgendin
May 26th, 2014, 09:14 PM
That's why you are posting on a fan board, showing your lack of knowledge about the SoCon and Mercer.

So you're saying that you agree that Mercer should be better than WCU?

smallcollegefbfan
May 26th, 2014, 10:31 PM

Shocked you think Mercer will beat you guys. There is no excuse for that. WCU has been around and is not a jump start program. You took one of the offensive minds from the App national title years and have him as head coach. How in the heck should Mercer be more talented than you guys? If so, then you are saying your coaches do an awful job recruiting.

Just being new to the league and playing a weaker schedule is why I would have Mercer below you.

If you have already given up and think Mercer is better than you, then I assume you would like a new head coach? There is no excuse for WCU to lose to Mercer this year just like there was no excuse for App to lose to Charleston Southern last year.

citdog
May 26th, 2014, 10:38 PM

wcu is in the early lead to replace certain other idiots from the same State as the largest douches in the SoCon.

PaladinFan
May 27th, 2014, 05:04 AM
Shocked you think Mercer will beat you guys. There is no excuse for that. WCU has been around and is not a jump start program. You took one of the offensive minds from the App national title years and have him as head coach. How in the heck should Mercer be more talented than you guys? If so, then you are saying your coaches do an awful job recruiting.

Just being new to the league and playing a weaker schedule is why I would have Mercer below you.

If you have already given up and think Mercer is better than you, then I assume you would like a new head coach? There is no excuse for WCU to lose to Mercer this year just like there was no excuse for App to lose to Charleston Southern last year.

If Mercer does not finish last, Bobby Lamb should be coach of the year.

WCU and VMI are not very good, but they will have 2/3 more scholarship players than Mercer.

AshevilleApp2
May 27th, 2014, 05:12 AM
wcu is in the early lead to replace certain other idiots from the same State as the largest douches in the SoCon.

Yeah, those Elon folks were a pain! Am I right? xsmiley_wix

OL FU
May 27th, 2014, 06:42 AM

WCU and VMI are not very good, but they will have 2/3 more scholarship players than Mercer.

I agree. Mercer had a good first season but I don't think they played anyone comparable to teams on VMIs schedule. VMI played Charleston Southern and Liberty decent games and beat Gardner Webb, a team that beat Furman and Wofford. I know that was last year, but still.... I think Lamb has the possibility of creating something special at Mercer but I just don't see it being next year.

PaladinFan
May 27th, 2014, 07:19 AM
I agree. Mercer had a good first season but I don't think they played anyone comparable to teams on VMIs schedule. VMI played Charleston Southern and Liberty decent games and beat Gardner Webb, a team that beat Furman and Wofford. I know that was last year, but still.... I think Lamb has the possibility of creating something special at Mercer but I just don't see it being next year.

I agree. The level of competition for Mercer last year was not even on the level of "bad" SoCon football. For instance, there were 11 other start up programs in all of college football in 2013 (besides Mercer). Mercer played four of them, all at home (I believe they had more home games than any team in D1 football).

That does not even count playing "established" programs on the PFL schedule like Valparasio (4-50 since 2009), Davidson (0-11 last year), and Campbell (14-41 all time). You might argue the only decent teams Mercer saw all season were San Diego and Marist (though I think neither would be competitive in the SoCon) and got blown out by both of them. The PFL champion Butler was thrashed and shutout in the first round of the FCS playoffs as well. So, even the best PFL team was waylaid by a decent FCS scholarship team.

Now, 10 wins is 10 wins. They beat the teams on their schedule, and, in many instances, beat far more established programs. I just think as of now you give VMI and WCU the benefit of the doubt. Mercer has probably not even played a team as good as either VMI or WCU. They sure enough haven't played anyone of the caliber of Furman/Wofford/UTC/Samford.

CID1990
May 27th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Im going to laugh my a$$ off when VMI wins 4 SoCon games thus fall and spoils somebody's playoff hopes

they could well beat El Cid as they always play us close- add in Mercer and WCU and then all they need is an upset over someone arrogant who overlooks them. given their history of crapping the bed id say that would be Chatty

PaladinFan
May 27th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Im going to laugh my a$$ off when VMI wins 4 SoCon games thus fall and spoils somebody's playoff hopes

they could well beat El Cid as they always play us close- add in Mercer and WCU and then all they need is an upset over someone arrogant who overlooks them. given their history of crapping the bed id say that would be Chatty

OL FU is quite right. VMI is not "good" at this stage, but they did play some decent games last season. Those "good enough to hang around" teams are scary.

I fully expect some upsets in the SoCon this season.

OL FU
May 27th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Regardless of all the pre-season talk, it is going to be interesting and very different season. At the risk of repeating myself which at my age I do often, I am optimistic about the Paladins but that doesn't mean I don't have a major case of the jitters after the way we started last year.

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2014, 09:53 AM

Exactly. Mercer has no business beating anyone in the SoCon this year but if they do, that is a great job done by those few scholarship players they have and Bobby Lamb.

PaladinFan
May 27th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Exactly. Mercer has no business beating anyone in the SoCon this year but if they do, that is a great job done by those few scholarship players they have and Bobby Lamb.

They hauled in a couple of transfers, but you know as well as I that doesn't exactly mean much. Probably one of every twenty or so transfers from FBS to FCS really becomes an impact player.

walliver
May 27th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Mercer will be a player in 2016. Recent history demonstrates that start-ups can be successful quickly - CCU, ODU and FAU immediately come to mind as having play-off calibre teams in their first 4 years. But, in 2014, they could easily go 0-7 in the SoCon.

WCU may surprise a few people. I would definitely put them ahead of VMI and Mercer, and possibly ahead of The Citadel (you never know what is going to happen with a new coach).

PaladinFan
May 27th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Regardless of all the pre-season talk, it is going to be interesting and very different season. At the risk of repeating myself which at my age I do often, I am optimistic about the Paladins but that doesn't mean I don't have a major case of the jitters after the way we started last year.

Furman fans have been saying "2014" for a while, now. Fowler has really done a job turning things around in Greenville. To win a championship with the overwhelming odds he faced last year is a testament to his coaching and the character of the team.

This is my opinion, but the Paladins are as deep and talented as they have been in 10 years. Every position with the possible exception of tightend and QB (not a lot of experienced depth there) is strong. We have had some individual great players over that time on both sides of the ball, but I really think this is the first time since the '05 team that we've produced this much depth at every position.

I completely agree with you, though. Furman has to come out of the gates swinging. I imagine we will know a lot more about our 2014 team in week 1. Get a tough GWU team that embarrassed them last year. I'll take a 1 point win, but I'd love to see Furman steamroll them.

OL FU
May 27th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Furman fans have been saying "2014" for a while, now. Fowler has really done a job turning things around in Greenville. To win a championship with the overwhelming odds he faced last year is a testament to his coaching and the character of the team.

This is my opinion, but the Paladins are as deep and talented as they have been in 10 years. Every position with the possible exception of tightend and QB (not a lot of experienced depth there) is strong. We have had some individual great players over that time on both sides of the ball, but I really think this is the first time since the '05 team that we've produced this much depth at every position.

I completely agree with you, though. Furman has to come out of the gates swinging. I imagine we will know a lot more about our 2014 team in week 1. Get a tough GWU team that embarrassed them last year. I'll take a 1 point win, but I'd love to see Furman steamroll them.

I have been one of those saying 2014 and the truth is I pretty much believe it. So yeahxthumbsupx

Now the on the other hand, even though we had early season injuries and a young team that hadn't started playing well together, the first part of the season was horrendous. Now, I am more certain the end of the season were the real Paladins but that doesn't mean the first part of the season doesn't make me goxchinscratchx

PaladinFan
May 27th, 2014, 12:26 PM
I have been one of those saying 2014 and the truth is I pretty much believe it. So yeahxthumbsupx

Now the on the other hand, even though we had early season injuries and a young team that hadn't started playing well together, the first part of the season was horrendous. Now, I am more certain the end of the season were the real Paladins but that doesn't mean the first part of the season doesn't make me goxchinscratchx

True enough. I think the team that Furman put on the field at the end of the season was not the team that played the first part of the year for a number of reasons. I don't think you can overlook the noticeable absences of Reese Hannon and Eric Thoni much of the year. Young players like Hollman, Hayes, Robinson, Suttles, and Hawkins were thrown out there to play a lot of snaps due to guys missing time.

You could argue that at the App game Furman finally had found its formula. They got players back, realized what some youngsters were capable of, who could play where and when, and the team just went on a tear. It's hard to look past the first part of the season, but I imagine the team will start 2014 with many fewer questions than last year.

CID1990
May 27th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Mercer will be a player in 2016. Recent history demonstrates that start-ups can be successful quickly - CCU, ODU and FAU immediately come to mind as having play-off calibre teams in their first 4 years. But, in 2014, they could easily go 0-7 in the SoCon.

WCU may surprise a few people. I would definitely put them ahead of VMI and Mercer, and possibly ahead of The Citadel (you never know what is going to happen with a new coach).

A lot of us are being cautiously optimistic, but I'm going to say it now- I think we are going to finish higher than the predictions by as much as 3 spots. A lot of people are going to look back at the coming season and wonder why the hell we didn't start this QB during the last two seasons.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 27th, 2014, 06:33 PM

VMI has 4 Big South wins over the last 3 seasons. If they win 4 SoCon games this season, the rest of the FCS is going to be laughing their a$$es of at the SoCon.

I think VMI's absolute best case scenario is to beat Western, Mercer, and that all of El Cid, Samford, and Wofford have down years so that they can beat one of the three.

ThompsonThe
May 27th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Believe Chatty will probably win the SoCon this year, but Furman will dominate the conference for pretty much the next decade.

citdog
May 27th, 2014, 08:21 PM
A lot of us are being cautiously optimistic, but I'm going to say it now- I think we are going to finish higher than the predictions by as much as 3 spots. A lot of people are going to look back at the coming season and wonder why the hell we didn't start this QB during the last two seasons.

Agreed. Was not smart to not at least TRY and get Miller and Dupree on the field at the same time.

PaladinFan
May 28th, 2014, 05:22 AM
Believe Chatty will probably win the SoCon this year, but Furman will dominate the conference for pretty much the next decade.

Interestingly, Furman's women's program just won the Germann Cup for the 13th time. If I read the press release by the SoCon correctly, if Furman's baseball team had won just one more baseball game against App State in the final series of the season, they would have forced a tie for first in the Commissioner's Cup standings (App finished 1 game ahead of FU in the standings).

It is nice to see Furman's athletic programs heading out of the doldrums.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 28th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Interestingly, Furman's women's program just won the Germann Cup for the 13th time. If I read the press release by the SoCon correctly, if Furman's baseball team had won just one more baseball game against App State in the final series of the season, they would have forced a tie for first in the Commissioner's Cup standings (App finished 1 game ahead of FU in the standings).

It is nice to see Furman's athletic programs heading out of the doldrums.

So Georgia Southern has the same conference record as App in football, finishes ahead of them in baseball and basketball, is only a few games behind them in mens tennis, wins the SoCon men's golf championship and they still lag well behind App in the standings. Just goes to show that all-sports trophies are awards for who plays the most sports.

OL FU
May 28th, 2014, 09:43 AM
So Georgia Southern has the same conference record as App in football, finishes ahead of them in baseball and basketball, is only a few games behind them in mens tennis, wins the SoCon men's golf championship and they still lag well behind App in the standings. Just goes to show that all-sports trophies are awards for who plays the most sports.

By definition;)

walliver
May 28th, 2014, 10:20 AM

The Mountaineers won the all-sport trophy without the benefit of a single league title in 2013-14. Appalachian State was buoyed by strong showings from its cross country (second), indoor track and field (second) and outdoor track and field (third) teams. Appalachian State also saw its wrestling and tennis teams finish fourth in the league.

Chattanooga finished second in men’s golf in the spring, but, without fielding a baseball team, saw Appalachian State pass it with the conclusion of the final spring sport. The Mocs, who won the wrestling tournament, posted regular-season titles in football and wrestling and second-place finishes in basketball and golf.

Furman, which led the fall standings after championships in football and cross country, got a second-place showing from its men’s tennis team this spring and came tantalizingly close to its first Commissioner’s Cup since 1990-91, as it could have tied Appalachian State for the cup lead with a win over the Mountaineers on the final day of the baseball regular season, with the two bonus points for the baseball tournament still up for grabs. Still, the Paladins registered their second third-place showing in the last three years.

source: http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209509061&DB_OEM_ID=4000

The key take-home point is that the best men's athletic program in the SoCon didn't win a single league title.
If FU had finished 6th instead of 8th in baseball, they would have tied. And if Chatty bothered to play baseball at all, they probably would have won.

Obviously, the more sports you sponsor, the more points you get. Indoor track and field counts the same as football.

With SoCon lacrosse starting up this fall, and only three SoCon teams in the league, FU should be the favorite for the Commisioner's Cup for next year, although Mercer may give them a run for their money.

OL FU
May 28th, 2014, 10:34 AM
source: http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209509061&DB_OEM_ID=4000

The key take-home point is that the best men's athletic program in the SoCon didn't win a single league title.
If FU had finished 6th instead of 8th in baseball, they would have tied. And if Chatty bothered to play baseball at all, they probably would have won.

Obviously, the more sports you sponsor, the more points you get. Indoor track and field counts the same as football.

With SoCon lacrosse starting up this fall, and only three SoCon teams in the league, FU should be the favorite for the Commisioner's Cup for next year, although Mercer may give them a run for their money.

Good thing we hung on to Golf

PaladinNation
May 28th, 2014, 11:11 AM
True enough. I think the team that Furman put on the field at the end of the season was not the team that played the first part of the year for a number of reasons. I don't think you can overlook the noticeable absences of Reese Hannon and Eric Thoni much of the year. Young players like Hollman, Hayes, Robinson, Suttles, and Hawkins were thrown out there to play a lot of snaps due to guys missing time.

You could argue that at the App game Furman finally had found its formula. They got players back, realized what some youngsters were capable of, who could play where and when, and the team just went on a tear. It's hard to look past the first part of the season, but I imagine the team will start 2014 with many fewer questions than last year.

The interesting thing about the depth… is it's still coming. Take Nic McBride IMO and AK Olusanya -- both have some big upside, they looked great in the spring game.

PaladinFan
May 28th, 2014, 12:45 PM
The interesting thing about the depth… is it's still coming. Take Nic McBride IMO and AK Olusanya -- both have some big upside, they looked great in the spring game.

Absolutely. Despite graduating only 9 (I think) seniors last season, the Paladins have only 11 (one medical redshirt included) on the roster this season.

Over the last three years Fowler has thrown a lot of young players into the fire. Freshmen playing a lot of snaps at key positions in key games. I think that experience has really benefited Furman. They are starting to establish a talent pipeline where players can spend a few years in the system, and get starting snaps as veterans.

The Cats
May 28th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Just goes to show that all-sports trophies are awards for who plays the most sports.

We've been saying that for years. The only reason ASU won the men's cup this year is they play every sport the SoCon offers.

Did they win ANY championships in men's sports? I don't think so, yet they won the cup.

Starting next season, the points awarded per sport championship should be weighted, based on the number of schools that sponsor that sport. That is an encouragement for schools to add sports.

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2014, 01:45 AM
We've been saying that for years. The only reason ASU won the men's cup this year is they play every sport the SoCon offers.

Did they win ANY championships in men's sports? I don't think so, yet they won the cup.

Starting next season, the points awarded per sport championship should be weighted, based on the number of schools that sponsor that sport. That is an encouragement for schools to add sports.

I'm with you. I wondered how App won it this year with the fact that they didn't do well in basketball, football, or baseball. Looked like Chattanooga should have won it.