18. Princeton Tigers 6-0 851 22
19. Southern Illinois Salukis 5-2 788 13
20. San Diego Toreros 7-0 725 21
21. Portland State Vikings 5-3 650 23
22. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers 5-2 393 24
23. Harvard Crimson 5-1 384 15
24. Montana State Bobcats 5-3 239 NR
25. Delaware Blue Hens 4-3 177 NR
Others receiving votes: Towson 153, Charleston Southern 138, South Dakota State 107, Western Kentucky 81, Yale 76, Holy Cross 72, Alabama A&M 67, Delaware State 67, Central Connecticut State 60, South Carolina State 33, Central Arkansas 23, Jackson State 23, McNeese State 22, Georgia Southern 18, Wofford 15, Sam Houston State 12, Tennessee State 9, Northeastern 8, Gardner-Webb 6, Penn 5.

patssle
October 23rd, 2006, 12:20 PM
McNeese BARELY wins vs a crappy SFA team, they go 1-1 and get more votes than 2-0 Sam Houston? bleh.

MU Alum
October 23rd, 2006, 12:46 PM
Please tell me what Monmouth University has to do Matt Daugherty, or any other people with inside info to this poll, to atleast recieve votes for the top 25. I just don't get it. MU is the only I-AA team with 7 D-I wins. MU has victories over 3 teams from playoff conferences. This weekend they went up to Robert Morris and beat a team that had won 5 straight, including a win the week before over CCSU, who is recieving votes in this poll. There is no way that CCSU, Holy Cross, Charleston Southern, and Delaware State are all more deserving. Charleston Southern has struggled against D-II schools and VMI. Holy Cross struggled with Fordham.
Then there is San Diego. They have beat Yale. Thats it. You tell "mid-major" teams to schedule up and play better teams and it will be rewarded, well look at this picture right now. A 7-1 team does not even recieve votes in the top 25.

BillLuc1982
October 23rd, 2006, 12:47 PM
I'm surprised Western Kentucky isn't ranked in the Top 25

GannonFan
October 23rd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Please tell me what Monmouth University has to do Matt Daugherty, or any other people with inside info to this poll, to atleast recieve votes for the top 25. I just don't get it. MU is the only I-AA team with 7 D-I wins. MU has victories over 3 teams from playoff conferences. This weekend they went up to Robert Morris and beat a team that had won 5 straight, including a win the week before over CCSU, who is recieving votes in this poll. There is no way that CCSU, Holy Cross, Charleston Southern, and Delaware State are all more deserving. Charleston Southern has struggled against D-II schools and VMI. Holy Cross struggled with Fordham.
Then there is San Diego. They have beat Yale. Thats it. You tell "mid-major" teams to schedule up and play better teams and it will be rewarded, well look at this picture right now. A 7-1 team does not even recieve votes in the top 25.

I hear ya - I've had Monmouth in my top 25 for at least the past two weeks. Granted, I have them at 24, but they've been there for a couple of weeks now (note, I still have my beloved Hens out of the poll at least for now).

Dabnus Brickey
October 23rd, 2006, 12:49 PM
Way to go, MU!!! I agree 100% about Charleston Southern!!!:hurray:

aceinthehole
October 23rd, 2006, 12:51 PM
Where is Monmouth?

I'm looking outside the top-25 at the recieving votes teams. I'm pleased on how the NEC has fared this year in the poll (CCSU/Albany). We we ranked when we deserved it and fell out when we lost. I have no problem with that at all. But how does Penn, the 4th team in the Ivy get any votes at all? That is crazy. Their best wins are at Lafayette and Bucknell. They have losses to Yale and 'Nova.

Monmouth (7-1) has beaten Colgate and Fordham from the PL, and a 3rd team from an AQ-conference (Morgan State of the MEAC). The Hawks only loss was a 6 turnover debacle vs. improving Stony Brook.

---
I refuse to mention the "mid-major" team from the West Coast, but if one win vs. Yale means so much, why doesn't 3 wins vs. AQ-conference teams (and 2 with winning conference records) mean anything?

I don't want to start another thread, but compare Monmouth with our West Coast peers and what do you have?

bluehenbillk
October 23rd, 2006, 12:52 PM

I hear you with Charleston Southern & DelState. I'll give MU credit for beating Colgate, but Fordham & Morgan St are not anything to hang your hat on for non-conference games. I think your non-conf schedule gets tougher next year. :smiley_wi

Dabnus Brickey
October 23rd, 2006, 12:54 PM
I'm just happy that you guys haven't mentioned my team!!! This is a tough room.

aceinthehole
October 23rd, 2006, 01:02 PM

NEC fans think alike. I was working on my own post when you posted.

Certainly this week's CCSU/Monmouth game is huge. It's a statement game for both teams.

Monmouth has played great, except for the horrible game vs. SBU, and has come out and proved they are a contender. IMO - the Hawks are the NEC's most balanced program. Solid offense, very good defense, and well coached. I think this is a very underrated team. That said, I think CCSU wins at West Long Branch this weekend :)

rmutv
October 23rd, 2006, 01:25 PM
I agree with the sentiments regarding the Hawks and the NEC general. I was impressed with the Hawks, even though I thought RMU should've won that game if they don't make stupid mistakes from the quarterback position.

I was a bit miffed that RMU, sitting at 5-2 last week coming off the win over CCSU, wasn't even getting mentioned. For Monmouth to not even get a curious sniff in the honorable mention category is absurd. It seems like Monmouth's one loss to a good Albany team weighs more than San Diego's crappy schedule and CCSU's win over Georgia Southern. That's absurd. CCSU has two losses, including to RMU, and they're nearly banging down the door of the top 25 again, and Monmouth doesn't even get a head bob in their direction.

Pard4Life
October 23rd, 2006, 01:54 PM
Tenn-Martin... much too high..

Maine?! Should not even be in the top 25...

Again.. San Diego over Harvard? No way...

And agree, Monmouth and W. Kentucky should be getting looks

I've got Monmouth and WKU in my AGS 25... sounds like I do my homework ;)

Thought about SDSU but their early season performance has put me off a bit.

CCU97
October 23rd, 2006, 01:58 PM
OK....so if so many of you have MU in your top 25 or near it...why don't they have any points? do your votes not count? Just trying to figure out how this thing really works.

bluehenbillk
October 23rd, 2006, 02:02 PM

Maine is 4-0 in the A-10 & 5-2 overall with one of their losses being against Boston College who's in the 1-A Top 20. But I'm sure you overlooked all that.

MaineFan
October 23rd, 2006, 02:03 PM

and why shouldnt Maine be in the top 25? gave a top 20 d-1a team(Boston College) a solid game and lost to a d-1aa top 10 team on the road. They are 4-0 in the conference which is currently rated 2nd in the land. Maine is about where they should be. I wouldnt go any higher on em unless they beat either UNH or Umass.

birdsflyhigh
October 23rd, 2006, 02:40 PM
Looks like the gap between #2 Montana and #3 Illinois St. has closed even more now with thier only being 49 points separarting the two teams. JMHO, but I think a Redbird win this saturday over top 10 YSU gets them the #2 spot. The Birds have played a monster schedule so far, and knocked down all comers except I-A Kansas St. (a 1 point road loss).

With a win on Saturday, the Birds would have victories over 3 current I-AA teams YSU, SIU and EIU. They would also have wins over WKU, WIU and UCA (all teams that have been ranked sometime in this season's I-AA top 25). Montana is solid and has a shot to end up in Chatty, but IMO the Birds overall resume should put them in at #2 next week. That's IF they take care of business against a mega-tough YSU team. :nod:

gobucknell06
October 23rd, 2006, 03:06 PM
San Diego beat Yale 43-17. I witnessed that destruction. Yale has since beaten Penn and good Patriot League teams. They are #9 for the at-large bid GIVEN the Sports Network poll mentioned.

If the SN poll was used:
Automatic: App St, UMASS, Ill St, Montana, Tn-Martin, E Illinois, Hampton, Holy Cross
At large
1-JMU
2-N Iowa
3-Furman
4-Cal POLY
5-Y St
6-UNH
7-Maine
8-S. Illinois

Dane96
October 23rd, 2006, 03:09 PM
and my aunt would be my uncle if she had b...

You dont use the SN poll to apply bids...but that is some great circular reasoning to get the result you want.

AggiePride
October 23rd, 2006, 03:12 PM
San Diego beat Yale 43-17. I witnessed that destruction. Yale has since beaten Penn and good Patriot League teams. They are #9 for the at-large bid GIVEN the Sports Network poll mentioned.

If the SN poll was used:
Automatic: App St, UMASS, Ill St, Montana, Tn-Martin, E Illinois, Hampton, Holy Cross
At large
1-JMU
2-N Iowa
3-Furman
4-Cal POLY
5-Y St
6-UNH
7-Maine
8-S. Illinois

I think it would be JUST GREAT if every team would schedule a bunch of cream puffs, schedule one decent team and win, and get into the playoffs based on just that.

JUST GREAT!!! Lets all do it!!!!!

Maybe DAVIS should get a full slate of D-III and NAIA's and just play one mid-pack BSC team next year. Thats a formula for success, USD style!!!!!

WYOBISONMAN
October 23rd, 2006, 03:13 PM
I think South Dakota State is worth some love after they beat Cal Poly at SLO......

Pard4Life
October 23rd, 2006, 03:15 PM
Maine is 4-0 in the A-10 & 5-2 overall with one of their losses being against Boston College who's in the 1-A Top 20. But I'm sure you overlooked all that.

No not at all... I check on all the teams I consider ranking. Ok.. so they lost to BC.. yeah it's an I-A, it's also a loss... maybe schedule a solid I-AA? But yes Maine did.. YSU.. and they lost badly... I'm sorry but this schedule does not have me convinced...

Sat 9/9/2006 Maine at Youngstown St Youngstown St 34-14 ..20pt loss
Sat 9/16/2006 Maine at Wm & Mary Maine 20-17 ..WM bad record, close win
Sat 9/23/2006 Shaw at Maine Maine 62-12 ..who the heck is Shaw? D2?
Sat 9/30/2006 Maine at Boston College Boston College 22-0
Sat 10/7/2006 Maine at Towson Maine 28-7 ..Towson is not a power
Sat 10/14/2006 Villanova at Maine Maine 20-7 ..neither is Nova..
Sat 10/21/2006 Hofstra at Maine Maine 21-10 ..Hofstra is not good..

?? Where is the win? Ok, maybe since they are an A10 team they deserve a spot, but I am more willing to give the bottom of my ballot to teams that are underrated from smaller conferences or good teams with lesser marks i.e. Salukis.

USDFAN_55
October 23rd, 2006, 03:18 PM
I think it would be JUST GREAT is every team could schedule a bunch of cream puffs, play one decent team, and get into the playoffs based on just that.

JUST GREAT!!! Lets all do it!!!!!

Maybe we will get a full slate of D-III and NAIA's next year and just play a mid-pack BSC team next year. Thats a formula for success, USD style!!!!!
Everyone needs to get over this schedule thing. It is what it is this year, and it can't be changed. USD has a very long shot of making the playoffs this year, althought I would love to see how they hang with the big boys. We'll see how they do against UCD though. Should be a great game.

GannonFan
October 23rd, 2006, 03:21 PM
OK....so if so many of you have MU in your top 25 or near it...why don't they have any points? do your votes not count? Just trying to figure out how this thing really works.

Well, since this is the sports network poll, I'm not sure how many of us on these boards vote in that poll. Monmouth is getting 6 votes in the AGS poll, so that means there are 5 other people besides me that are putting them in (well, maybe not that many, I have them at #24 so maybe that counts as 2 votes?).

89rabbit

One really bad lose that I am prohibited from talking about (but others in the top 25 have also lost to lower division schools), one loss on the road to the current #2, and a loss on the road to the current #7. Come on now that is no excuse to not give us a look. We have won 4 in a row (3 of 4 on the road) three against ranked teams, the latest the current #9.

AggiePride
Everyone needs to get over this schedule thing. It is what it is this year, and it can't be changed. USD has a very long shot of making the playoffs this year, althought I would love to see how they hang with the big boys. We'll see how they do against UCD though. Should be a great game.

To not talk about USD's schedule is to not talk about USD period.

I'm fine with that until Nov. 25th.

89rabbit
October 23rd, 2006, 03:24 PM
I think South Dakota State is worth some love after they beat Cal Poly at SLO......

That is all I am saying. Thanks for the love. :thumbsup:

rcny46
October 23rd, 2006, 04:29 PM

UMaine would beat Mommouth hands down IMO.

birdsflyhigh
October 23rd, 2006, 04:38 PM
I'd also take Maine over Monmouth in a heartbeat.

MarkCCU
October 23rd, 2006, 04:40 PM
Delaware, Charleston Southern?!?!!? Come on! Charlston Southern, yeah they are 7-0 but against a few DII teams, a NAIA, c'mon. THe Citadel win isn't that big, it's big not given what El Cid is these days, c'mon