PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette's Bourger Varsity Football House

LeopardFan04
October 23rd, 2006, 10:11 AM
As part of the renovations to Fisher Field at Fisher Stadium, Lafayette is building a Varsity House to hold locker rooms, a weight room, and other related football facilities...there's now a webcam on the construction...

http://www.lafayette.edu/press/construction/index_camera.html

Lehigh Football Nation
October 23rd, 2006, 10:21 AM
Did they shrink those too, like Kirby Field house? xlolx

LeopardFan04
October 23rd, 2006, 10:27 AM
Did they shrink those too, like Kirby Field house? xlolx

There's actually talk (I can't remember where I heard it, LC's board maybe) that there are renovations coming for basketball...I heard from someone on campus (not anything close to official or anything) that they may go to a Bucknell style bowl seating type court...which would be cool...not to knock Lehigh, but what I hope we do not do is build basketball facilities out at Metzgar...

Pard4Life
October 23rd, 2006, 12:02 PM
There's actually talk (I can't remember where I heard it, LC's board maybe) that there are renovations coming for basketball...I heard from someone on campus (not anything close to official or anything) that they may go to a Bucknell style bowl seating type court...which would be cool...not to knock Lehigh, but what I hope we do not do is build basketball facilities out at Metzgar...

Yeah those are the rumors and there is some evidence of that on the Fisher blueprints... I think an official source even confirmed the rumors when I asked, but definetely nothing is set in stone, nor is there a timetable...

If anything, football should have seriously thought of being moved to Metzgar.. but whatever.. great place now.. and too late..

LeopardFan04
October 23rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
Yeah those are the rumors and there is some evidence of that on the Fisher blueprints... I think an official source even confirmed the rumors when I asked, but definetely nothing is set in stone, nor is there a timetable...

If anything, football should have seriously thought of being moved to Metzgar.. but whatever.. great place now.. and too late..

Was there ever a plan to move football to Metzgar? You mean for games? What would have been done with Fisher Field? I am against any thing like that because it's so tough for kids to get to the games then...you either need a friend with a car, or they'd have to make more buses out there available...I know from my Zoo Crew days that something like that would've thrown a monkey wrench in most activity...

LeopardFan04
October 23rd, 2006, 01:06 PM
Meant to add, that all else considered w/ the renovations I'm happy the webcam has moved and we can follow the progress through away weeks...

Pard4Life
October 23rd, 2006, 01:59 PM
Was there ever a plan to move football to Metzgar? You mean for games? What would have been done with Fisher Field? I am against any thing like that because it's so tough for kids to get to the games then...you either need a friend with a car, or they'd have to make more buses out there available...I know from my Zoo Crew days that something like that would've thrown a monkey wrench in most activity...

No plans to move Metzgar at all that I'm aware of.. just speculating because Lehigh has that set-up.. tailgating, stadium feel, parking.. it would be interesting to compare attendance at Taylor Stadium to Goodman.. and if there were increases.. good case study because Fisher is like old Taylor.. in the neighborhood, on campus. Lehigh students pack football games and they have to drive/bus.. don't know if it's that big a deal..

LeopardFan04
October 23rd, 2006, 02:08 PM
Interesting...I'm not really sure...it seems tough enough to get students to come to games...I know several years ago...I was one of very few that I saw at games...everyone is just so apathetic...someone told me saturday..."it's cool, as long as we beat Lehigh..." I though we got past that attitude...but no one wants to leave March Field long enough to watch the team play...okay, down off my soapbox...

Pards Rule
October 23rd, 2006, 03:36 PM
I'm not past that attitude...WTF!! Have a sucky season and win 3 or 4 games and consider it a success cause you beat Lehigh? Not in my book and not on this campus!!!!!!!! (sorry I just got a little Tavani moment). At this point though, a 6-5 season with a Lehigh win would be considered a success.

LeopardFan04
October 23rd, 2006, 06:41 PM
I'm not past that attitude...WTF!! Have a sucky season and win 3 or 4 games and consider it a success cause you beat Lehigh? Not in my book and not on this campus!!!!!!!! (sorry I just got a little Tavani moment). At this point though, a 6-5 season with a Lehigh win would be considered a success.

Glad to see we're on the same page...I just don't get the mentality that a Lehigh win makes the season...I suppose it saves (or at least lessens the pain) of a bad season...but I'd rather go 10-1 and lose to them and make the playoffs than go 3-8 and beat them...although that being said...I still be pissed about the one loss being to them...
I just hate the fact that a fair number of people only care about the result of the Lehigh game...

letsgopards04
October 23rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
True that LeopardFan04. I wish I could go to more home games. To semi-quote quote Herm Edwards, You don't play the season for moral victories (ie Lehigh) you play the game to win...EVERY GAME!!! To breakaway for a moment. I like the current b-ball court at Lafayette. I think the small intimate feel can create a more intimidating environment (at least it did at my HS). I would rather have a 3500 seat joint filled to capacity every night than a 8000 seat place filled 60%.

carney2
October 23rd, 2006, 08:54 PM
I'd rather go 10-1 and lose to them and make the playoffs than go 3-8 and beat them...although that being said...I still be pissed about the one loss being to them...
I just hate the fact that a fair number of people only care about the result of the Lehigh game...

Count me on the other side in this "argument." A win over Lehigh is now, always was and always will be the be all and end all for the football season. The other games are preseason. We had this "discussion" earlier in the year and Colgate13 suggested that it's a "generational thing."

Actually, this is a good year to have my attitude. The way things are going the rest of this season's goals could very well be flushed sometime around 4:00 this Saturday afternoon. For me, there's still THE Game however.

carney2
October 23rd, 2006, 08:57 PM
I know from my Zoo Crew days

I always wondered how that Zoo Crew thing worked. Was it open to anyone who wanted to join, or was it somehow elitist and by invitation only? If by invitation, who controlled the membership?

Leopard's Claw
October 23rd, 2006, 10:23 PM
"Did they shrink those too, like Kirby Field house? "
No, LFN- the footprint (Pawprint of the FOOTBALL varsity house will surprise you in 4 weeks....and even better yet, it's not over the hill and far away (like Taylor to Stabler), nor is it shared (like the current varsity house at Stabler), nor is it a 25 minute walk/5 minute bus trip from practice site/locker room to game day locker room (which, at Goodman, are identical to the visiting team's)......it's an on-campus venue where the team will have consistent day-to-day operations, practice or home contest....and a true FOOTBALL house that is dedicated to the FOOTBALL team, a 30 second walk from where the blood, sweat & tears of practice, strength, conditioning, rehab, etc. all occur. (Did I mention it's on campus, like so many Taylor lovers wax poetically about?)....as for the questions re Taylor- I was there often....and yes, there's a lot to be said about simply walking to and from the game venue, especially when it's on the main campus. Lafayette did in fact look at the "bowl structure" that the natural terrain at Metzgar Fields would provide, much like the Stabler campus...but in the end, it was decided that the on-campus environment at a I-AA institution was much more in the mainstream, both today and down the line....noone comes to games to park their car- they come to see two teams compete.

LeopardFan04
October 23rd, 2006, 10:31 PM
I always wondered how that Zoo Crew thing worked. Was it open to anyone who wanted to join, or was it somehow elitist and by invitation only? If by invitation, who controlled the membership?

Nope, anyone can join...we had signups and an email/phone list, etc...

LeopardFan04
October 23rd, 2006, 10:33 PM
Count me on the other side in this "argument." A win over Lehigh is now, always was and always will be the be all and end all for the football season. The other games are preseason. We had this "discussion" earlier in the year and Colgate13 suggested that it's a "generational thing."

Actually, this is a good year to have my attitude. The way things are going the rest of this season's goals could very well be flushed sometime around 4:00 this Saturday afternoon. For me, there's still THE Game however.

Don't get me wrong...Lehigh is the most important game on our schedule, my point is that I don't feel that the other games should be dismissed...should we not care about them at all? The existence of the Lehigh rivalry should not be an excuse to make it okay to lose every other game...

LeopardFan04
October 23rd, 2006, 10:37 PM
I guess I'd add to my point Carney, and say shouldn't we strive to win every game including Lehigh? I think you'd agree with this point...even as the most important game, I'd prefer not to see them get beat up on every week...no matter what the results up until 11/18, if we win I will be satisfied with the season...but I just wish fans (students especially, and specifically here) would stop being so apathetic to the rest of schedule...

Pard4Life
October 24th, 2006, 09:04 AM
The rest of the schedule is very important. If I had a choice of going 1-10 and beating Lehigh, or 10-1 and losing to Lehigh... I'd go with 10-1.. we would be in the playoffs competing for a championship... yeah it's no fun losing to them and I'd love to stomp their face into the mud, but when there is a larger picture, it must be seized... but this year, it sure is not looking this way... beating Lehigh is a must.

carney2
October 24th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I guess I'd add to my point Carney, and say shouldn't we strive to win every game including Lehigh? I think you'd agree with this point...even as the most important game, I'd prefer not to see them get beat up on every week...no matter what the results up until 11/18, if we win I will be satisfied with the season...but I just wish fans (students especially, and specifically here) would stop being so apathetic to the rest of schedule...

I'd certainly rather be 11-0 than 1-10, but if, like this year, we seem incapable of getting out of our own way, let the "1" be Lehigh.

Pards Rule
October 24th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Well, lets hope Maurer et al do not want to end their football careers with an L to an L - DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeopardFan04
October 24th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I'd certainly rather be 11-0 than 1-10, but if, like this year, we seem incapable of getting out of our own way, let the "1" be Lehigh.

Exactly, good way to put it.

LeopardFan04
October 24th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Well, lets hope Maurer et al do not want to end their football careers with an L to an L - DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's not even think about that...