PDA

View Full Version : Montana's Engstrom Considers Appeal of NCAA Sanctions

Lehigh Football Nation
May 6th, 2014, 11:35 AM
http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/engstrom-considers-appeal-of-ncaa-sanctions/article_23aff3b2-d4cc-11e3-8dc1-0019bb2963f4.html

Four months ago, a coalition of passionate Montana football fans presented a proposal to university President Royce Engstrom, urging him to appeal what they deemed excessively harsh sanctions by the NCAA.

Engstrom addressed the issue on Monday, indicating he’s exploring all his options.

“I am in the process of talking to a variety of people about the matter that these folks have brought forward,” he said. “I’ve made some phone calls to people that are helping me think it through.

"I’m not ready to say what I’m doing at this point but I am working on it.”

Not sure what to make of this. Thoughts?

Bisonator
May 6th, 2014, 12:03 PM
I thought most of the sanctions were self imposed or is this referring to something I missed?

MplsBison
May 6th, 2014, 01:04 PM
On an unrelated note, it's ridiculous that the AGS text editor automatically switches fonts when directly copy-pasting from a webpage.

Sorry, carry on.

superman7515
May 6th, 2014, 01:09 PM
I thought most of the sanctions were self imposed or is this referring to something I missed?

Hmmm...

The proposal, which included more than 500 signatures, outlined why Montana should pursue an adjustment in the self-imposed reduction of football scholarships. The group contends the Griz received “unprecedented penalties amid an atmosphere that was anything but fair and objective.”

So they penalized themselves and now those penalties weren't fair?

MplsBison
May 6th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Hmmm...

So they penalized themselves and now those penalties weren't fair?

The University administration penalized the football team, within the athletic department. Some fans think they went too far.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2014, 01:17 PM
On an unrelated note, it's ridiculous that the AGS text editor automatically switches fonts when directly copy-pasting from a webpage.

Sorry, carry on.

You better go lodge a complaint with vbulletin.

superman7515
May 6th, 2014, 01:25 PM
The University administration penalized the football team, within the athletic department. Some fans think they went too far.

I get that, just thinking it's going to be hard to convince the NCAA that it isn't fair when it was your idea to start with. Kinda like being asked to pick your own switch off the tree, if it stings like hell the first time, you're not gonna get to go back and choose another.

MplsBison
May 6th, 2014, 01:34 PM
I don't think the NCAA would have anything to do with the self-imposed sanctions.

Montana, if they chose, should be able to simply announce that they're going to repeal some of the sanctions. The NCAA could then decide to take new action, I suppose, if they felt that the reduced sanctions no longer "fit the crime".

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I'm pretty sure Montana hasn't been giving out the full compliment of 63 over the last 10 years anyway. Not sure but I'll bet it's been about 59 if I had to guess. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 6th, 2014, 02:06 PM
The story gets odder the more I look at it, especially the part about an "unfair environment".

Supporters of an appeal further cite that with recent news the NCAA is considering changing some of the same rules that UM reportedly broke, “the time has come for action.” The coalition is frustrated by what it views as a lack of progress by UM officials and late last week re-stated its case in an email to media outlets.

That's an interesting tack - petitioning to reduce penalties because the NCAA is considering changing some rules.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2014, 02:07 PM
I get that, just thinking it's going to be hard to convince the NCAA that it isn't fair when it was your idea to start with. Kinda like being asked to pick your own switch off the tree, if it stings like hell the first time, you're not gonna get to go back and choose another.

Yes, it's some silly BS. He got some pushback and is now just saying "hey, we'll look at this again." and it means very little I would assume. It's self imposed so let's STFU and move on with it.

superman7515
May 6th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Yes, it's some silly BS. He got some pushback and is now just saying "hey, we'll look at this again." and it means very little I would assume. It's self imposed so let's STFU and move on with it.

Hey, it might not be BS, they could be right and it may actually be a bit overkill. It's just hard to argue that point when you're the one who came up with it. I agree though that it may just be lip-service, perhaps get a little heat from some fans off his own back by saying the NCAA wouldn't allow a reduction and then folks can get mad at the NCAA while getting off his back a bit.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 6th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Ah the NCAA, every college presidents' favorite straw man.

clenz
May 6th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I'm pretty sure Montana hasn't been giving out the full compliment of 63 over the last 10 years anyway. Not sure but I'll bet it's been about 59 if I had to guess. xlolx
I think it's that way at most FCS schools.

I believe UNI's AD said UNI averages between 58-61 depending on the year.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Hey, it might not be BS, they could be right and it may actually be a bit overkill. It's just hard to argue that point when you're the one who came up with it. I agree though that it may just be lip-service, perhaps get a little heat from some fans off his own back by saying the NCAA wouldn't allow a reduction and then folks can get mad at the NCAA while getting off his back a bit.

It was a bit of overkill I think but the BS part is not just taking the medicine and moving on with it now. As I said, I don't think UM was giving the full compliment of schollies as it was (could be mistaken) and fans think this is a big hit when it's really probably more along the lines of what we were already doing anyway.

It's all about letting the blame move to another location and off his shoulders. I can't blame him I guess but I just don't see how it's anything of substance.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2014, 02:31 PM
I think it's that way at most FCS schools.

I believe UNI's AD said UNI averages between 58-61 depending on the year.

Yes, so fans think it's giving up four schollies and it really just doing what you were doing in the first place...no real change but to the avg. fan they think "OH NO!".