PDA

View Full Version : JMU vs Richmond

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 22nd, 2006, 10:39 AM
A JMU win on Saturday would be huge. What's your prediction?

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2006, 10:52 AM
JMU will need to pass well and more often than they normally like to beat UR.

jmuroller
October 22nd, 2006, 11:02 AM
JMU will need to pass well and more often than they normally like to beat UR.

How many times have we heard that in the past years?

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2006, 11:15 AM
How many times have we heard that in the past years?

don't know... maybe about as often as... JMU can't stop Omar Cuff... :D

redspider
October 22nd, 2006, 11:28 AM
All I know is that Richmond must win to stay a shoe in for the playoffs in what is shaping up to be one crazy Atlantic 10 season. I think though that in the end with our rush D and a great progress since early in the season by our quarterback Eric Ward we will win. Not to mention that this is our homecoming and an in state game against JMU who we beat in there homecoming last year to secure our spot in the playoffs. JMU will be looking for revenge but I think that we will still pull it off. This will be a HUGE GAME THOUGH.

Tribe4SF
October 22nd, 2006, 03:22 PM
Richmond will need to hold onto the ball. Turnovers were key for UD, especially Hightower's fumble at the Delaware one. Same was true in loss to UNH.

DTSpider
October 22nd, 2006, 03:24 PM
This is definitely a must win game for UR. Against UD Richmond fought back and had a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter. After that the defense couldn't stop Flacco & UR couldn't run the ball. As with other games, this is a turnover margin important game. -4 @ UNH & -3 vs UD just isn't cutting it.

DTSpider
October 22nd, 2006, 03:27 PM
Richmond will need to hold onto the ball. Turnovers were key for UD, especially Hightower's fumble at the Delaware one. Same was true in loss to UNH.

To be fair, that was Josh Vaughan on an 80 yard run on the 1st play after UD scored. Unfortunately fumble out of the endzone turns into a UD touchback. Vaughan is like the old Tiki Barber which is why he's only getting 8 carries a game. Hightower's fumble was questionable in live action. The near side ref blew the play dead. Couldn't see it (due to the pile) so I don't know if it was a fumble or not, but that was a weird play. One ref told the UR staff it was UR's ball & the other said it was UD's. I don't think it would have mattered since UR's OL was weak & UD's Flacco was amazing.

blur2005
October 22nd, 2006, 04:03 PM
I feel pretty confident JMU wins this game. It'll be a good one but just like in 2004, JMU will win a close one.

UNH 40
October 22nd, 2006, 04:33 PM
This is the game of the week in my opinion. Richmond must win this one to keep playoff hopes alive. I think they will rise to the occasion and steal one from JMU. Richmond 24 JMU 17.

Sam Adams
October 22nd, 2006, 04:59 PM
Should be a good one. JMU seems to be the better team. The spiders having choked against a mediocre hens squad certainly gives me no reason to pick Richmond.

Jaxhen
October 22nd, 2006, 05:12 PM
Should be a good one. JMU seems to be the better team. The spiders having choked against a mediocre hens squad certainly gives me no reason to pick Richmond.

Here we go again, steal the thread and make it smack against Delaware.

Spider
October 22nd, 2006, 05:33 PM
Spides in a close one...........

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2006, 05:54 PM
Here we go again, steal the thread and make it smack against Delaware.

I think he's trying to take the title from umassfan...:p

JMUfan2008
October 22nd, 2006, 06:06 PM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=6924&CHID=3

Richmond adding more fuel to the fire....I think the fact that it's your homecoming gives us more motivation, just look at the UNH game. Look for a lot of JMU faithful to be there also. I think we win in a close game. It really depends on how UR responds to losing last week. If they react like UNH and lose their fire (I know injuries were partially to blame, but I mean...Northeastern?) they'll lose. If it fires them up and they really harness that power, they'll win. Either way I don't see a margin of more than 10 points.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 22nd, 2006, 06:08 PM
I wonder how much the Spiders realize that JMU wants nothing more than to potentially knock the Spiders out of playoff contention this weekend on their Homecoming, much in the same way they had done to JMU last year. If you look at our track record, we're pretty damn good at games when revenge is a factor. I think Mickey Matthews motivates the hell out of his team in these games.

Will be good. I don't want to make a prediction other than the entire I-AA nation will surely be watching this matchup, with most rooting for UR to eliminate JMU from seeding contention.

For those not aware, Richmond is very close (2 hour drive) to Harrisonburg. Most JMU alumni either live in Richmond or the DC area. There will be plenty of Purple and Gold at their Homecoming next weekend. Also, I believe we are bringing our band for the game, which adds an addition 350-400 fans right there making a lot of noise. :nod:

Sam Adams
October 22nd, 2006, 06:14 PM
A few chicken fans are so touchy that even stating the simple fact that the Hens are mediocre (which they certainly are) is considered talking smack. :rolleyes:

This is not about smack. If I'm picking between a JMU team that leveled the UNH Wildcats or a Richmond side that lost at home to UD - Guess what? I'll take JMU they seem like the better team to me. :twocents:

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 22nd, 2006, 06:34 PM
If I'm picking between a JMU team that leveled the UNH Wildcats or a Richmond side that lost at home to UD - Guess what? I'll take JMU they seem like the better team to me. :twocents:

How DARE you pick on the defenseless Blue Hen Nation like that! :eek: :nono:

xlolx :D xlolx :D xlolx

Sam Adams
October 22nd, 2006, 07:02 PM
How DARE you pick on the defenseless Blue Hen Nation like that! :eek: :nono:

xlolx :D xlolx :D xlolx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

New rule: nobody is allowed to express an opinion about the quality of the UD Hens without it being "smack" xlolx xlolx xlolx

Seriously, I just think JMU has it going on and Richmond just fell apart against UD when it counted. Should be a real good game with a lot on the line.

Henny
October 22nd, 2006, 07:21 PM
Here is some non smack Samuel. The Hens are getting healthier now. Flacco is getting better with every game and UD isnt the same team they were earlier in the year. The reality is we are getting better.

That being said the two best teams in the league are UMASS and JMU.

You would be hard pressed to call Delaware medeocre after beating an excellent Richmond team last night.

Sam Adams
October 22nd, 2006, 07:23 PM
UD looked better in the 4th quarter last night. I just didn't think UR looked particularly excellent. JMU's performance in Durham was very impressive however. Which is why I'm thinking JMU is the better team.

Dukes_Bando
October 22nd, 2006, 07:27 PM
There will be plenty of Purple and Gold at their Homecoming next weekend. Also, I believe we are bringing our band for the game, which adds an addition 350-400 fans right there making a lot of noise. :nod:

I can in fact confirm that, the entire band will be in attendance for the game. xsmileyclapx

matfu
October 22nd, 2006, 07:31 PM
as a southern conference fan who has watched several atlantic 10 teams play this year, i pick james madison to win.

DTSpider
October 23rd, 2006, 08:25 AM
This should be a good game. While there's no pudding this year, don't forget that JMU & UR recruit a lot of the same players. Last year I think about 4 players switched decisions between schools (evenly split) at the last minute. The players & coaches all know each other very well. Both schools are loaded with VA kids who have played against each other in HS.

I'm sure that it'll be a war of words leading up to it with numerous barbs from the fans as well. As always happens in the series the opposing crowd will plan to "overtake" the home crowd. Of course, that never happens but each side claims it will. :)

The MRD's will be in attendance, but will they compain about UR not cancelling homecoming activities to let them play at halftime again? I've heard that they are playing, so I'll assume that it's before the game. They are definitely the best band around so I'm happy to see them.

Regardless, if you're a JMU fan who's willing to be civil, than I'll be happy to share a beer with you at tailgate. I already have a couple of JMU grads who will be there. There will be way too many fans on both sides who will resort to foul language & unnecessary insults, but I know both schools have a lot of fans who can appreciate a good game against similar schools. It'll be fun & there should be good natured jabs at each other, but let's try to refrain from having police involvement this year.

Tribe4SF
October 23rd, 2006, 09:14 AM
I think a healthy Alvin Banks is important for JMU this week. Tough inside yards are not Hollomon's forte, and I think he'll have some trouble running off the edges against UR. Hightower and Vaughn should have some success. I was a little surprised that W&M was able to run the ball inside some against JMU. This game looks like a toss-up. If it comes down to QB play, the edge goes to JMU.

ChickenMan
October 23rd, 2006, 09:24 AM
Offensive edge to JMU... Defense to UR... I'll go with the home field and defense.

DTSpider
October 23rd, 2006, 09:37 AM
Offensive edge to JMU... Defense to UR... I'll go with the home field and defense.

That was supposed to be the formula last weekend too. It'll all be turnover margin. If UR continues to give the ball away it'll be ugly. Who knows how good UR could be if we actually won the turnover battle.

GannonFan
October 23rd, 2006, 09:49 AM
I think it comes down to what kind of offense JMU goes with. I don't think they can win just trying to run it at Richmond. UD, and UNH actually, were both able to move the ball with a lot of passing, hitting a lot of short routes and then going for some big strikes. Will JMU be willing to throw the ball enough to set up big strikes like that or will they fall back to the default and simply run, run, run? On the other side of the ball, this will be JMU's first test going up against a power running game. That's been an Achilles heel before for JMU so it'll be interesting to see how they hold up against an offense like that. Either way, the game's going to be close. I think Richmond eekes it out but only because now they are desperate - lose this one and they could be on the outside looking in come playoff time.

JMUfan2008
October 23rd, 2006, 10:02 AM
If you look at the past couple games we've been passing the ball a lot more. 11 of 15 first downs were passing. I think we'll run it, but I think we'll definitely pass it more than usual. JMU has done well this year in exploiting weaknesses in teams (i.e. UNH) so if we've seen a weakness in pass defense of UR we're gonna pass it.

bluehenbillk
October 23rd, 2006, 10:28 AM
I can in fact confirm that, the entire band will be in attendance for the game. xsmileyclapx

Oh yea, I forgot that JMU fans think their band is worth 7 points. xsmileyclapx xlolx

GannonFan
October 23rd, 2006, 10:30 AM
If you look at the past couple games we've been passing the ball a lot more. 11 of 15 first downs were passing. I think we'll run it, but I think we'll definitely pass it more than usual. JMU has done well this year in exploiting weaknesses in teams (i.e. UNH) so if we've seen a weakness in pass defense of UR we're gonna pass it.

Come on, you can't compare UNH's defense with Richmond's - UNH was a sieve compared to what Richmond has. If you couldn't exlpoit their defensive issues for at least some points then I'd be worried. JMU could very well beat Richmond, but it won't be because JMU proved in the UNH game that they could score against an average defense - one has nothing to do with the other.

JMUfan2008
October 23rd, 2006, 10:36 AM
Come on, you can't compare UNH's defense with Richmond's - UNH was a sieve compared to what Richmond has. If you couldn't exlpoit their defensive issues for at least some points then I'd be worried. JMU could very well beat Richmond, but it won't be because JMU proved in the UNH game that they could score against an average defense - one has nothing to do with the other.

I wasn't saying that because we destroyed UNH that we can beat Richmond, I'm saying we saw what weaknesses they had and used them. Even on defense, we saw dropping 7 guys into coverage worked well from the Richmond game and we shut down their offense by doing that. I'm not comparing the two, I'm just saying we know how to gameplan. If their rush defense is much better than their pass defense, look for us to pass more than usual.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 23rd, 2006, 01:09 PM
Regardless, if you're a JMU fan who's willing to be civil, than I'll be happy to share a beer with you at tailgate.

Thanks for the offer!

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 23rd, 2006, 01:14 PM
Oh yea, I forgot that JMU fans think their band is worth 7 points. xsmileyclapx xlolx

Hey, gotta be worth somethin or another to everyone. Mickey always speaks highly of us in our pep talks at the begining of the year. Call it the dream of an unathletic collegiate male... but I only can dream that I have some effect on the outcome of the game.

JMUTuba
October 23rd, 2006, 01:30 PM
Oh ya, the band is definately worth seven points.

gobucknell06
October 23rd, 2006, 07:38 PM
I predict: JMU 22, Richmond 18

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 23rd, 2006, 07:39 PM
Oh ya, the band is definately worth seven points.
Just 7!!!!!!! lol

I hate to say it.....but this game is tooooooooo close to call.

Sam Adams
October 23rd, 2006, 08:00 PM
JMU 31 UR 20

mcveyrl
October 23rd, 2006, 09:10 PM
This is a tough one. UR has more to lose than JMU, but a loss makes the last two games must wins for the Dukes. I think both schools will be "up" for the game. Unfortunately, my inclination in games like this is to go with the home team. But, the homer factor, combined with the MRD seven points (maybe only 4 on the road) indicates a 24-21 JMU win.

bandl
October 24th, 2006, 07:09 AM
This is a tough one. UR has more to lose than JMU, but a loss makes the last two games must wins for the Dukes. I think both schools will be "up" for the game. Unfortunately, my inclination in games like this is to go with the home team. But, the homer factor, combined with the MRD seven points (maybe only 4 on the road) indicates a 24-21 JMU win.

Luckily JMU has three more games after this one...:thumbsup:

mcveyrl
October 24th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Luckily JMU has three more games after this one...:thumbsup:

I actually realized that this morning! I think since I was trying to make plans to go to the UD game, I confused myself.

PurpleandGold
October 24th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Both teams will be motivated. UR needs it to stay alive for the playoffs, but we owe them one big for our Homecoming embarassment of last year. Our run game is better, but their run D is better, so I think it comes down to the pass, and I'll take a senior NFL hopeful over a good freshman anyday. Plus our front seven our bringing the pressure this year, leading the A10 in sacks, and I watched Ward come off his game in the second half of the UNH game when they finally starting getting pressure on him. The Dukes win a narrow one, 16-10.

HensRock
October 24th, 2006, 09:06 AM
To be fair, that was Josh Vaughan on an 80 yard run on the 1st play after UD scored. Unfortunately fumble out of the endzone turns into a UD touchback. Vaughan is like the old Tiki Barber which is why he's only getting 8 carries a game. Hightower's fumble was questionable in live action. The near side ref blew the play dead. Couldn't see it (due to the pile) so I don't know if it was a fumble or not, but that was a weird play. One ref told the UR staff it was UR's ball & the other said it was UD's. I don't think it would have mattered since UR's OL was weak & UD's Flacco was amazing.

Right:
#1. It was not Hightower's fumble. It was Vaughn's.

But:
#2. It was not Vaughn's fumble. It was Garrett Schultz's Force! (let's give some credit for a GREAT heady play here)

And:
#3. The loose ball hit the pylon. Touchback. (Just like the ball in possesion of an offensive player hitting the pylon is a touchdown)

Thanks for the kind sentiments about it not mattering, but I think that play mattered a great deal in that game as far as momentum is concerned. And after all, UD only won by 4.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 24th, 2006, 09:24 AM
These Dukes are totally different than they were last year... They're not going to be held back by a strong defense anymore.
With a good outing by the O and a strong D outing, it would be
21-10 Dukes
BUT!
I forgot the MRD's 7...
So 28-10 Dukes

HENJOHN
October 24th, 2006, 09:43 AM

The TV replay clearly showed the UD defender knocked the ball out of the Richmond RB's arms and the ball ended up hitting the pylon which is indeed a touchback.

DTSpider
October 24th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Right:
#1. It was not Hightower's fumble. It was Vaughn's.

But:
#2. It was not Vaughn's fumble. It was Garrett Schultz's Force! (let's give some credit for a GREAT heady play here)

And:
#3. The loose ball hit the pylon. Touchback. (Just like the ball in possesion of an offensive player hitting the pylon is a touchdown)

Thanks for the kind sentiments about it not mattering, but I think that play mattered a great deal in that game as far as momentum is concerned. And after all, UD only won by 4.

Hens.. I was talking two different plays (both equally crushing to UR).

The 1st play was the 80 yard run. It was Vaughan and you could see the UD defender getting ready to make that play. Everyone knew that was coming. The fact that it hit the pileon was tough...one of those games of inches things. A great play by the UD defender and a real momentum killer. That really hurt since it allowed UD to have the ball the whole 1st quarter.

The Hightower fumble I was talking about was in the 4th quarter. That was the one on 1st down after UD just scored the TD when he went into the pile. Like I said, I haven't seen it so I don't have any clue about whether or not it was a fumble, but the refs has two different calls on that. I guess it's why both sidelines send their offenses onto the field after that play. That was the play that I don't think really mattered because UR has shown that it can't move the ball when it counts. We just run slow developing plays up the middle that get stuffed. xidiotx

Then sit back and tell the defense to make stops every series. That plan was bound to backfire & it finally did.

Madisonian
October 24th, 2006, 09:47 AM
First half, neck and neck. In the end, Dukes roll by 14. I'm flying in from the ATL for this one boys and fully expect to see a good game.

Two good defenses, one good offense... hmmm?

Advantage: Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuukes! :smiley_wi

DTSpider
October 24th, 2006, 09:48 AM
The TV replay clearly showed the UD defender knocked the ball out of the Richmond RB's arms and the ball ended up hitting the pylon which is indeed a touchback.

I agree. That play was never in question. Vaughan is a fumbling machine which is why he doesn't get many carries. I think he's laying it on the turf more than 10% of the time. A good play by the UD defender, but every coach tells guys to keep the nose of the ball tucked in and not hanging out there. Proper technique & the UD player doesn't get the chance.

BlueBlood
October 24th, 2006, 10:18 AM
I wonder how much the Spiders realize that JMU wants nothing more than to potentially knock the Spiders out of playoff contention this weekend on their Homecoming, much in the same way they had done to JMU last year. If you look at our track record, we're pretty damn good at games when revenge is a factor. I think Mickey Matthews motivates the hell out of his team in these games.

Will be good. I don't want to make a prediction other than the entire I-AA nation will surely be watching this matchup, with most rooting for UR to eliminate JMU from seeding contention.

For those not aware, Richmond is very close (2 hour drive) to Harrisonburg. Most JMU alumni either live in Richmond or the DC area. There will be plenty of Purple and Gold at their Homecoming next weekend. Also, I believe we are bringing our band for the game, which adds an addition 350-400 fans right there making a lot of noise. :nod:What would back to back losses to the Spiders and Hens do? Would JMU still be a playoff team?

JMU2004
October 24th, 2006, 10:24 AM
What would back to back losses to the Spiders and Hens do? Would JMU still be a playoff team?

we would be a bubble team

DB_Atlantic10
October 24th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Basically this game is going to come down to balance......Ironically, this game is the opposite of the UNH game for the Dukes, UNH had a much greater offense, but their defense was suspect against a good, but not great JMU offense.... The Richmond game will be on the opposite scales.. Since Richmond has a great defense, but a suspect offense, with JMU having a good, but not great defense. Just as with UNH, JMU's more balanced defense will be the deciding factor against Richmond. Richmond's defense is great, but they haven't been shutting teams out completely... JMU will get their points, whether it be 15 or 20, but is Richmond's offense potent enough to get theirs....just as could UNH's defense stop a balanced JMU offense? These teams are going to pound each other up and down the field....but the question is, which offense has the most potential to break free on occassion....and right now that goes to the Dukes, IMO that is.....:eyebrow:

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 24th, 2006, 01:50 PM
What would back to back losses to the Spiders and Hens do? Would JMU still be a playoff team?

Let's just say I'd rather face UR, UD, Villanova, and Towson than UNH's schedule with Hofstra, Maine, UMass and URI.

UMass > UR
Maine > UD (Don't laugh BlueHens, you were thinking the same thing 2 weeks ago...)
URI > Towson (IMO, at least vs. JMU - we hate the option!)
Hofstra > Villanova

Just the way I see it, and I'm seeing it through the purple lenses of JMU in terms of how we play against particular teams. While this week's matchup with UR is HUGE, I'm most worried about Delaware and Omar Cuffs.

Still, I think we will win at least 1 of the 2 games, and see no reason to fear Villanova or Towson, even on the road.

But to answer your question, any 8-3 team from JMU will be on the bubble due to a D2 school on the schedule. We'd really be 7-3.

Stricker46
October 24th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I don't know the kids name that plays WR for JMU, but if the RU cornerback can't beat that kid in a foot race it's going to be a long day for RU. I have seen JMU play twice this year, and I have seen this kid have to slow down a wait for the ball. Speed kills and JMU has alot of it this year. RU should hope for bad weather this weekend.

U mass has to be the best balanced team in the A-10 north, and NU has to be the most improved team I seen this season. I think this game is going to be a thriller too.

blur2005
October 24th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I don't know the kids name that plays WR for JMU, but if the RU cornerback can't beat that kid in a foot race it's going to be a long day for RU. I have seen JMU play twice this year, and I have seen this kid have to slow down a wait for the ball. Speed kills and JMU has alot of it this year. RU should hope for bad weather this weekend.

U mass has to be the best balanced team in the A-10 north, and NU has to be the most improved team I seen this season. I think this game is going to be a thriller too.
L.C. Baker or Ardon Bransford? Baker is 5'7", Bransford 5'10." You're probably thinking of Baker, since he's a speed demon and the leading receiver on the team with 26 catches for 377 yards and 4 TDs.

blur2005
October 24th, 2006, 03:34 PM
BTW, this game will be decided in the second and fourth quarters. JMU has outscored opponents 83-33 in the second and 73-44 in the fourth.

Madisonian
October 24th, 2006, 03:54 PM
We've all watched enough football to know that you can't compare games between different teams. However, let's assume for a minute that you can... Here's the analysis with the easiest statistic (scoring):

It's really simple, UR and JMU have both played the following teams:

VMI, Northeastern, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire

UR vs. Like Opponents scoring = 118 to 47 (net scoring of 71)
JMU vs. Like Opponents scoring = 174 to 67 (net scoring of 107)

107 - 71 = 36 points to the Dukes over 4 games (9 points per game).

Here's some more math for you:

9 points + 7 points (MRD consensus estimate) - 2 points (UR homecoming) = 14.*

*Warning these numbers have not been approved or warranted by the NCAA, Atlantic 10, or affiliated universities.

Go Dukes!!!

th0m
October 24th, 2006, 04:27 PM
2 TD's sounds about right ;)

JMU_Fan_2007
October 25th, 2006, 01:32 PM
JMU 28, UR 17

Watching JMU the last few weeks, I think JMU's defense is at least as good as Richmond. JMU has outscored its last five opponents 215-84, but 41 of those points have been clean up duty by the 2nd team defense in games that were already decided. If you take out the mop up points, JMU is averaging 9.6 points per game. Granted, other teams do mop up duty as well, but JMU defense is nothing but top notch. On the offenseive side of the ball, Banks should be ready to play, which will make a big difference. You can bet JMU will have a good game plan coming in, and Rascatti is 7th in the nation in passing efficiency. It will be interesting to see how much/how JMU tries to run the ball. I'd expect to see some screen passes, especially in the first half, to try and soften up the middle.

The crowd is also going to be a factor. JMU has sold almost 900 tickets, plus the whole marching band. That's just through JMU. I would guess at least 1/3 of the crowd will be in Purple, and at least as loud as the UR crowd.

On the flip side, turnovers will definately be key. It seems like a weak spot for UR, but JMU has not been great in that category either. UR's ability to stop the run will also be a huge factor. But, JMU has had something like 6 scoring drives of less than 2 minutes in the past 3 games. Which is to say, JMU has mastered throwing it deep, and it will be interesting to see how well they can do this agianst UR.

In the end, I think JMU will play up to UR and probably put the game away at the start of the 4th quarter. Another little side note is that it's suppose to be damp and windy. If the field is wet it could turn into a game like UMASS or Delware last year, and those of us who love the Dukes remember how that goes. I'll be at the game this weekend and am pumped to see how it goes. Go Dukes!

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 25th, 2006, 07:19 PM
We've all watched enough football to know that you can't compare games between different teams. However, let's assume for a minute that you can... Here's the analysis with the easiest statistic (scoring):

It's really simple, UR and JMU have both played the following teams:

VMI, Northeastern, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire

UR vs. Like Opponents scoring = 118 to 47 (net scoring of 71)
JMU vs. Like Opponents scoring = 174 to 67 (net scoring of 107)

107 - 71 = 36 points to the Dukes over 4 games (9 points per game).

Here's some more math for you:

9 points + 7 points (MRD consensus estimate) - 2 points (UR homecoming) = 14.*

*Warning these numbers have not been approved or warranted by the NCAA, Atlantic 10, or affiliated universities.

Go Dukes!!!

:hurray:
They have been aproved by your local band parent's association though :thumbsup:

JMUfan2008
October 27th, 2006, 01:00 AM
JMU 28, UR 17

Watching JMU the last few weeks, I think JMU's defense is at least as good as Richmond. JMU has outscored its last five opponents 215-84, but 41 of those points have been clean up duty by the 2nd team defense in games that were already decided. If you take out the mop up points, JMU is averaging 9.6 points per game. Granted, other teams do mop up duty as well, but JMU defense is nothing but top notch. On the offenseive side of the ball, Banks should be ready to play, which will make a big difference. You can bet JMU will have a good game plan coming in, and Rascatti is 7th in the nation in passing efficiency. It will be interesting to see how much/how JMU tries to run the ball. I'd expect to see some screen passes, especially in the first half, to try and soften up the middle.

The crowd is also going to be a factor. JMU has sold almost 900 tickets, plus the whole marching band. That's just through JMU. I would guess at least 1/3 of the crowd will be in Purple, and at least as loud as the UR crowd.

On the flip side, turnovers will definately be key. It seems like a weak spot for UR, but JMU has not been great in that category either. UR's ability to stop the run will also be a huge factor. But, JMU has had something like 6 scoring drives of less than 2 minutes in the past 3 games. Which is to say, JMU has mastered throwing it deep, and it will be interesting to see how well they can do this agianst UR.

In the end, I think JMU will play up to UR and probably put the game away at the start of the 4th quarter. Another little side note is that it's suppose to be damp and windy. If the field is wet it could turn into a game like UMASS or Delware last year, and those of us who love the Dukes remember how that goes. I'll be at the game this weekend and am pumped to see how it goes. Go Dukes!

Actually, 900 is very conservative, we went through those earlier this week. I would guess the JMU ticket office has sold anywhere between 1200 - 2000, not including the MRDs and player comps. So that's at least 1800 through JMU. Let's say another 1000-1500 walkups, through Richmond Website (where my friends got ours because we forgot we could get them through JMU's ticket office), etc. We will have at least 3000. If the weather cooperates, we could have 4k-5k there. It will look like our homecoming game basically. Not to mention our fans are quite a bit rowdier and louder... So instead of 2 points in UR's favor, that should actually be in our favor... We win conservatively by 14...more like 18... :D

Madisonian
October 28th, 2006, 06:34 AM
bringing this thread back to the front page.:hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped:

Down came the rain and washed the spider out!!!

Go Dukes!

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 28th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Very nice day in Central VA today. Slightly chilly, high humidity, ground is soaked but should dry out with the wind and sun by gametime.

I'll see you in Richmond in about 6 hours!

Madisonian
October 28th, 2006, 07:40 AM
What Comcast Channel is the JMU Sports show on here in Richmond? 9 a.m. right?

Thanks in advance!

PantherRob82
October 28th, 2006, 08:16 AM
any free internet feed for this game?

DTSpider
October 28th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Here's the best source (a little biased) for today's game...

http://richmondspiders.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/06-rich-footbl-gameday.html