PDA

View Full Version : Retiring Princeton AD Walters: Wish there were more like him

Lehigh Football Nation
March 18th, 2014, 03:25 PM
http://www.nj.com/ledger-dalessandro/index.ssf/2014/03/dalessandro_princetons_gary_walters_tried_to_chang e_the_game_and_its_time_to_salute_the_effort.html

“This was supposed to be about balancing athletics with academics,” the Princeton director of athletics said. “But ‘student-athlete welfare’ is just a principle that disguises the self-interest of the big dogs. With the expansion of BCS conferences, expanding the footprint beyond regional play – which used to define our leagues – we’ve justified the salaries earned by commissioners and ADs and coaches and sacrificed the original concept on the altar of TV contracts.

“And the NCAA has been complicit. They now define student-athlete welfare on the basis of paying them a stipend – as if that erases the corrosive effect that expansion has had on the integrity of the original concept.”

xthumbsupx Walters will be missed. We need more guys like him.

bonarae
March 18th, 2014, 06:02 PM
At least he has a point. The NCAA has left Division II and III virtually untouched... while they put all of their energies into implementing Division I rules and regulations... xsmhx

Go Green
March 18th, 2014, 06:32 PM
We need more guys like him.

He's been a longtime opponent of basketball conference tournaments. A lot of pro-conference tournament advocates are hoping that his (and Penn's Bilsky's) replacements will get out of the way and allow the Ivy to join the rest of the world in playing conference tournaments.

bonarae
March 18th, 2014, 06:45 PM
He's been a longtime opponent of basketball conference tournaments. A lot of pro-conference tournament advocates are hoping that his (and Penn's Bilsky's) replacements will get out of the way and allow the Ivy to join the rest of the world in playing conference tournaments.

But I don't like the idea of conference tournaments at all... Sometimes it sends not only a lower seed to the Dance but also an unprepared one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
March 18th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Conference tournaments are nothing more than a reason to have another big payday. They do nothing for the good of the game. Which is supposed to be the premiss for the NCAA and any rule etc. Now for the good of the game is nothing more than a theoretical premiss used as a cliche.

Sader87
March 18th, 2014, 11:14 PM
He sucked as a hoop coach at PC....

Go Green
March 19th, 2014, 06:18 AM
But I don't like the idea of conference tournaments at all... Sometimes it sends not only a lower seed to the Dance but also an unprepared one.

And sometimes it sends the better team.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=254000024

And it's tons of fun! :)

RichH2
March 19th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Walters correct but no one in NCAA will acknowledge that,greed of BCS et al drowns out all else.