PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth upping the ante on scholarship offers

aceinthehole
October 19th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 10/19/06
BY TONY GRAHAM
STAFF WRITER

Among the thousands of fans ringing Al Saner Field last Friday night when No. 1 Manasquan clashed with then No. 5 Point Boro, at least two had no interest in the outcome.

Instead, Monmouth University head football coach Kevin Callahan and defensive backs coach Larry Zdilla were involved in checking the talent level on display — but it wasn't just any level of talent they were eyeballing.

"We can no longer recruit the kid who just wants to go and play some college football someplace," said Callahan, who launched the school's program with mainly all freshmen in 1993. "We have to recruit the athlete capable of playing at the I-AA scholarship football level."

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061019/SPORTS02/610190518/1010

Lehigh Football Nation
October 19th, 2006, 02:09 PM
I bet I can pry 13 out of the shadows with this quote from the article:

"The big question for me is how the the Patriot League (a non-scholarship league) isn't following suit with scholarships," Steve Antonucci, coach of Middletown South (5-0) said. "They're going to lose a lot of kids to the NEC."

dbackjon
October 19th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I bet I can pry 13 out of the shadows with this quote from the article:

Huge quote! See if that can make it to the PL's President's inboxes....

LUHawker
October 19th, 2006, 02:23 PM
The big question for any of you PLers in the know, is:

Is the push for scholarships by the NEC and the potential repurcussions from that on the PL being considered, or is it even know about, amoung the PL schools and the league administration, or is it just on the radar screens of us fans?

Many times, people on the inside are caught up in their own worlds and are unaware, at times, of what is going on around them. I hope this isn't the case within the PL, but I'd love to hear from other PLers.

cosmo here
October 19th, 2006, 02:30 PM
The big question for any of you PLers in the know, is:

Is the push for scholarships by the NEC and the potential repurcussions from that on the PL being considered, or is it even know about, amoung the PL schools and the league administration, or is it just on the radar screens of us fans?

Many times, people on the inside are caught up in their own worlds and are unaware, at times, of what is going on around them. I hope this isn't the case within the PL, but I'd love to hear from other PLers.

If you read some of the quotes from Tavani earlier this year, I think it's pretty apparent that these people know what's going on.

Pard4Life
October 19th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Monmouth needs to upgrade their facilities. If they are serious about scholarship football, their facilities sure do not reflect anything near the caliber of the team.

But yes PL needs to get their act together big-time. But I don't know... a scholarship to Monmouth and a smaller-aid offer to Colgate, Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell is a no-brainer to me... most kids don't see it that way though..

Dane96
October 19th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Look for Albany to increase their scholarship allotment this year.

While the 30 number is solid now, dont be suprised to see that number raised. Remember, a few years back "limited scholarship football" was talked about at some New England schools and 45-50 was the number.

I would not be shocked to see the NEC get to that range in the next 4-5 years. Difference between that number and the PL numbers: You can split 45 rides amongst the limit...with a total disregard to financial capabilities of the student/parents.

45 scholarship rides vs. 45 Need-Based PL grants....is a WHOLE NEW EQUATION!!!

dbackjon
October 19th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Monmouth needs to upgrade their facilities. If they are serious about scholarship football, their facilities sure do not reflect anything near the caliber of the team.

But yes PL needs to get their act together big-time. But I don't know... a scholarship to Monmouth and a smaller-aid offer to Colgate, Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell is a no-brainer to me... most kids don't see it that way though..

So a full ride to a decent college vs major debt? Yup - no brainer...

LUHawker
October 19th, 2006, 02:47 PM
If you read some of the quotes from Tavani earlier this year, I think it's pretty apparent that these people know what's going on.

Sorry I didn't recall any Tavani quotes, although he usually has a gem or two for us to revel at.

Pard4Life
October 19th, 2006, 02:47 PM
So a full ride to a decent college vs major debt? Yup - no brainer...

I don't think most students have massive debt. The average is $20,000, which should be manageable over the long-term. But yeah, when you are going to be saddled with debt and for whatever reason you don't qualify for a grant-aid, scholarship is necesary.

Pard4Life
October 19th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Sorry I didn't recall any Tavani quotes, although he usually has a gem or two for us to revel at.

He has noted the NEC getting schollies and having it harm our competitiveness. I think it is a bit premature this year since the classes playing now have been established 2-3 years, but it will become an issue soon. Can't point you to a source though.. he has said it... possibly even Biddle..

dbackjon
October 19th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I don't think most students have massive debt. The average is $20,000, which should be manageable over the long-term. But yeah, when you are going to be saddled with debt and for whatever reason you don't qualify for a grant-aid, scholarship is necesary.

How much is the average PL school a year? $35,000??? Even with 75% aide, you are still looking at debt/parental contribution of 30-40 thousand.

LUHawker
October 19th, 2006, 02:53 PM

To we PL folks, it sure seems like a no-brainer, but family finances are a big issue. Perhaps the more pertinent issue then is what about the kids (for example from the Middletown South area $$$ who don't qualify for any aid from the PL - will the PL still get them?

Dane96
October 19th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Or going to a large research institution and graduating with zero debt, then heading off to grad school as 89% of all graduates do at, for example, ALBANY!

As a person who has both undergrad, grad, and law debts....I would have loved a full ride right about now!

Dane96
October 19th, 2006, 02:56 PM
To we PL folks, it sure seems like a no-brainer, but family finances are a big issue. Perhaps the more pertinent issue then is what about the kids (for example from the Middletown South area $$$ who don't qualify for any aid from the PL - will the PL still get them?

IN the short term...yes, you will still get them. As the NEC becomes more established and builds new facilities, you will lose them.

Trust me, I have reviewed the design for the new stadium at UA. If we get it and the kid is getting a free ride and a pretty quality education...it will be a pretty easy sell.

BearsCountry
October 19th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Isn't Stony Brook going to 63 scholarships, and I thought Albany was too?

dbackjon
October 19th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Stony Brook is - they are leaving the NEC though. This is their last year in the NEC, and will be an indy next year.

danefan
October 19th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Stony Brook is giving 63 rides in the near future, but they are leaving the NEC. Albany is sticking the NEC max right now with 30, but everyone expects the NEC max to go to 45 in the near future as well.

Currently Albany has 8 rides spread amongst 22 kids I believe.

Go...gate
October 19th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Or going to a large research institution and graduating with zero debt, then heading off to grad school as 89% of all graduates do at, for example, ALBANY!

As a person who has both undergrad, grad, and law debts....I would have loved a full ride right about now!

I remember how grateful I was that my parents put me through college and law school...and the numbers were relatively small then. These days, I don't know how the kids or parents do it.

danefan
October 19th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I remember how grateful I was that my parents put me through college and law school...and the numbers were relatively small then. These days, I don't know how the kids or parents do it.

Loans baby loans! My law school tuition is reaching $40,000 a year, not including room/board. Thank god I went to a state school for undergrad.

Dane96
October 20th, 2006, 12:01 AM

The pain is tremendous. I actually work a very huge and important legal job (with decent pay) and then go bartend 3 nights a week...just to get by...and I am 32....it is ridiculous.

My loans...are more than most people's mortgage...and my undergrad/grad was all at Albany...only law school was private!!!

Now...me thinks I was xidiotx for going to law school!!!

And, if i was ever asked to talk to a recruit...I would tell that story and say "Hey....not paying for your education in undergrad will save you about 1400 a month in debt repayment over 30 years...come to Albany."