PDA

View Full Version : Georgia State to consider I-AA

ChickenMan
June 18th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Maybe the other 'GSU' will be joining CAA football ...

GSU to consider Div. 1-AA football

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 06/19/05

Georgia State will investigate adding Division I-AA football after it joins the Colonial Athletic Association on July 1, school officials said.

The CAA recently announced that it will play football in 2007. League member Old Dominion, which last fielded a football team in 1940, announced last week it will bring back the sport in 2009.

"By being in a conference that now plays football, it will give us an opportunity to at least consider it, look at it and see if it's something that we want to do," said Tom Lewis, Georgia State's vice president for external affairs and athletic operations.

Georgia State, which is leaving the Atlantic Sun, has a new perspective on football. In Nov. 2002, Georgia State president Carl V. Patton told the AJC there were no plans to begin an NCAA-sanctioned football program. But by joining the CAA, the school has softened its position.

"We'll do our own studies and see what the bottom line, so to speak, is," Lewis said. "What financial commitment is it going to take for us to start a football program? Because if we start it, we're going to do it right."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/0605/19collfb.html

JaxSinfonian
June 18th, 2005, 09:14 AM
It would be great to have Georgia State football just down the road. They'd be a good non-conference game for us. Always enjoyed watching the Gamecocks play them in basketball when we were in the A-Sun. I wonder what they'd do for a stadium?

Of course, with Kennesaw State considering a program, and West Georgia considering a move up from D-II, it could get crowded for recruiting around here really quick.

UDChE89
June 19th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Maybe they will also consider using roman numerals when spelling I-AA? :)

The actual article title is "Georgia State mulls adding football team". OP must have paraphrased. They're using Roman Numerals throughout the article.