PDA

View Full Version : An off-the-wall idea

LBPop
June 17th, 2005, 03:22 PM
This would fall under the category entitled: "Something that might be interesting, but which I'm too lazy (and unable) to do"

A few months back I suggested that an All-Pro team in the NFL comprised strictly of former I-AA players would be serious competition for a similar team of former I-A players. Many of you who are far more knowledgeable than me suggested a long list of great players for that squad. Now, I'm not a fantasy league player, but I'm willing to bet there are a bunch out there on this board. My thought would be that it might be fun to see how a former I-AA fantasy team would do if they were scored against all those I-A "studs".

Yes, I know that this would be difficult and time consuming. That's why I'm only suggesting it and not volunteering to do it. :rolleyes: And, since I'm not a fantasy league guy, I don't know if this is even possible. But, if it is and if someone wanted to do it, it could be something to discuss throughout the season.

yomama
June 17th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Way to call that bluff, Pop.

The best of I-AA wouldn't even qualify as a B Team.

Adam Vinatieri and Matt Birk...they're about the only ones worth mentioning.

bison95
June 17th, 2005, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=yomama

Adam Vinatieri .[/QUOTE]
Played DII

yomama
June 17th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Good catch.

Josh
June 17th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Good catch.

What about Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Steve McNair? Those guys all played I-AA for at least 1 season.

Mr. C
June 17th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Way to call that bluff, Pop.

The best of I-AA wouldn't even qualify as a B Team.

Adam Vinatieri and Matt Birk...they're about the only ones worth mentioning.
You obviously either didn't catch the first post on this subject, or you don't have a clue about I-AA's rich history. To refresh your memory, let's start with some current players:
WRs Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Dedric Ward, Jimmy Smith, Wayne Chrebet, David Patton and Brian Finneran.
TE Shannon Sharpe, Daniel Wilcox, Steve Heiden (of now I-AA South Dakota State fame)
QBs Steve McNair, Kurt Warner, Rich Gannon and Chad Pennington, along with many more.
FB Adrian Peterson.
TB Bryan Westbrook and Marcel Shipp.
There are also a lot of good OL players like Jeff Mickel, Orlando Brown and 20-year vet Ray Brown.

K Jeff Wilkens
KR B.J. Sams, Rod Smart and soon to include DaVon Fowlkes.
P Mark Royals
Special Teams Travis Jervey, Jerry Azumah

On defense, you have such stars and others to make a team as Michael Strahan, Jeremiah Trotter, Kavika Pittman, Robert Porcher, Dexter Coakley, Edgerton Hartwell, Rasheen Mathis, Rodney Harrison, Darren Sharper, Donnie Abraham, and, Matt Birk.

I'm sure others could add to my list.

I'd take my chances with such a team. They'd make a good, if not great NFL defense and score tons of points on offense and special teams. You could fill a roster out with some good up and coming talent of I-AA players from practice squads, NFL Europe and the Arena League.

yomama
June 17th, 2005, 04:37 PM
yeah, I read the post. Did you?

Rice, Warner, Gannon...??? That's not an all-pro team. That's an old folks' home.

yomama
June 17th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Take a look at the REAL rosters from the last Pro Bowl. There were very few players who came from I-AA. Duh.

Mr. C
June 17th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I'd take my chances with Owens and Moss as starting receivers over ANYONE else in the NFL and with those other guys backing up ... I'd take Rice as a third or fourth receiver any day. And with McNair as a starter, Warner and Gannon would be pretty high quality back-ups, not to mention Pennington. Westbrook is one of the most versatile RBs in the game.

Coakley is a three-time Pro Bowler. Strahan is one of the all-time greats. Trotter is also one of the best in the game, as is Birk. Azumah has been an all-pro, as has Jervey on special teams. Most of those defensive players from I-AA have had extremely solid careers.

You take your All-Pro team and I'll beat the crap out of you with my I-AA squad. Just one man's opinion.