PDA

View Full Version : New Monmouth Stadium (renderings)

Dave195
January 29th, 2014, 03:45 PM
http://www.gomuhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209388178&DB_OEM_ID=14300

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 29th, 2014, 04:12 PM
It's "nice" but there's certainly a limited "wow factor". Obviously, the school's location is the biggest obstacle.....

Dave195
January 29th, 2014, 04:16 PM
They need to add another section on the other side of the field to increase capacity before they can replace JMU in the CAA IMO

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 29th, 2014, 04:26 PM
They need to add another section on the other side of the field to increase capacity before they can replace JMU in the CAA IMO

They should figure out a way to get to 7,500/8000 seats imo. That would be a the magic number if Monmouth wants to be looked at by some of the better conferences imo. I know Liberty fans will have no trouble taking up seats when they visit MU.

Dane96
January 29th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Nice rendering. As many have stated, they really need to start figuring out--and I know it's NOT easy--a way to get up to 8000. I know that the CAA won't even consider them until they get to that level. It's a shame too; I think Monmouth could be very good (an rekindle a great rivalry) in the CAA.

Dave195
January 29th, 2014, 04:34 PM
MU would do it, but it's all about zoning and the township. Their MAC (basketball arena) was originally going to be 6000, then 4800 seats. Finally got it built at 4100 seats and that wasn't easy. Same thing with football stadium, I don't know how they'll get it to 8k but this is a solid first step. They're doing the exact same think Stony Brook did by going to Big South and raising scholarships. I think they really want to be in the CAA or Patriot for football by the end of their 4yr agreement to play in BS which starts this season.

What is the latest w/ CAA football? I know JMU will go to FBS soon, any other moves? Delaware perhaps?

Dane96
January 29th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Yup...I know the history. Have family that live right around the corner. It's a crappy deal. They need to really build that relationship with the town. UA went through the same issues...just not as prominent.

I wouldn't be shocked to see them in the PL (Monmouth).

Dave195
January 29th, 2014, 04:50 PM
PL is definitely a possibility. Their new president Dr. Brown came from Lehigh, so I'm sure there's a good relationship there.

Franks Tanks
January 29th, 2014, 07:24 PM
The PL is not taking Monmouth as a football only member. We are not a dumping ground for programs with no place else to go (that is the Big South).

Dave195
January 29th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Fordham and Georgetown... #DumpingGround. Rather be in the CAA anyways.

UNHWildcat18
January 29th, 2014, 11:39 PM
If they could get that other side, maybe endzones if track is removed then they could be in CAA but getting it past zoning would probably be a long process. However I doubt they will be in CAA anytime soon. #FuturePLmember

Go...gate
January 30th, 2014, 12:58 AM
MU would do it, but it's all about zoning and the township. Their MAC (basketball arena) was originally going to be 6000, then 4800 seats. Finally got it built at 4100 seats and that wasn't easy. Same thing with football stadium, I don't know how they'll get it to 8k but this is a solid first step. They're doing the exact same think Stony Brook did by going to Big South and raising scholarships. I think they really want to be in the CAA or Patriot for football by the end of their 4yr agreement to play in BS which starts this season.

What is the latest w/ CAA football? I know JMU will go to FBS soon, any other moves? Delaware perhaps?

I'm very familiar with the challenges MU faced with its arena, which is a jewel of a facility. Congratulations on getting West Long Branch to go this far. Of course more seating would be nice, but the upgraded ballpark will be a nice setting to watch College Football. And who knows? Politics has a way of changing land use boards......

DFW HOYA
January 30th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Best of luck to the Monmouth effort.

If you start reading about a multi-phased approach, I'd be concerned.

Bogus Megapardus
January 30th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I'm sure this has been considered and considered again by the planners but I can't help but to imagine that a more complete, fan-friendly (and perhaps two-sided) facility could be built were the track to be placed elsewhere. I do like the Jersey shore boardwalk styling.

mainejeff
January 30th, 2014, 11:30 AM
The good thing is that another Northeast school is making a COMMITMENT to football......seems like we have weeded out most schools that don't want anything to do with sponsoring the sport.

Beachdude
January 30th, 2014, 11:34 AM
The PL is not taking Monmouth as a football only member. We are not a dumping ground for programs with no place else to go (that is the Big South).

I guess Coastal is out of place then, huh?

Bogus Megapardus
January 30th, 2014, 12:25 PM
seems like we have weeded out most schools that don't want anything to do with sponsoring the sport.

umm . . . Columbia?

Franks Tanks
January 30th, 2014, 12:33 PM
I guess Coastal is out of place then, huh?

I guess. Coastal has been trying to leave for years now have they not?

Beachdude
January 30th, 2014, 02:27 PM
I guess. Coastal has been trying to leave for years now have they not?

They've discussed it. But I think that if they really wanted to leave, they would have, or at least be making more noise about it. Their reasoning was because so many eastern seaboard students attend CCU. Coastal has about a 50% out of state attendance, that it made more sense to change to a conference that better reflected that diversity. Last time I heard any serious talk about it was 2012, where both the CAA and SoCon were discussed.

But I'm just speculating. Moglia hasn't called me yet to ask for my opinion on the matter... :)

UNHWildcat18
January 30th, 2014, 02:45 PM
They've discussed it. But I think that if they really wanted to leave, they would have, or at least be making more noise about it. Their reasoning was because so many eastern seaboard students attend CCU. Coastal has about a 50% out of state attendance, that it made more sense to change to a conference that better reflected that diversity. Last time I heard any serious talk about it was 2012, where both the CAA and SoCon were discussed.

But I'm just speculating. Moglia hasn't called me yet to ask for my opinion on the matter... :)

I was rather surprised that Soconn didn't add you guys when they had to replace elon gsu and app.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 30th, 2014, 02:55 PM
I was rather surprised that Soconn didn't add you guys when they had to replace elon gsu and app.

I'm guessing Furman and Wofford did not want to deal with an in-state public institution.

Bogus Megapardus
January 30th, 2014, 04:04 PM
I get confused with all those Carolinas.

Beachdude
January 30th, 2014, 04:36 PM
I'm guessing Furman and Wofford did not want to deal with an in-state public institution.

In the immortal words of Ed McMahon: "You are correct, sir!"

Pard4Life
January 30th, 2014, 06:46 PM
This new stadium looks like a recycled plan from Georgetown. Did they just purchase the not-going-to-ever-be-built MSF stadium material on discount?

Bogus Megapardus
January 30th, 2014, 07:43 PM
This new stadium looks like a recycled plan from Georgetown. Did they just purchase the not-going-to-ever-be-built MSF stadium material on discount?

I think I saw it on eBay.

Go...gate
January 31st, 2014, 12:17 AM
The good thing is that another Northeast school is making a COMMITMENT to football......seems like we have weeded out most schools that don't want anything to do with sponsoring the sport.

I certainly hope you are correct.

centraljerseycat
February 1st, 2014, 01:08 PM
If James Madison leaves the CAA should look to Fordham before taking on schools like Coastal or Monmouth whose admission standards are "you have a pulse, you're in".

Sly Fox
February 1st, 2014, 02:10 PM
This $15 million dollar project will be made possible by generous and loyal supporters of Monmouth University and Monmouth Athletics. Construction will begin after local zoning board approval has been granted and the necessary funds have been raised. The construction phase of the project is estimated to be six months.

For those in the loop, what are the odds of the zoning approval and fundraising getting construction started in time for the 2015 season? The Flames travel up there for the first time that fall and I might make the trip.

MarkCCU
February 1st, 2014, 03:19 PM

I'm happy we didn't join the SoCon. With the inclusion of VMI, it's fallen a few levels.

Sent from my iPhone

Dave195
February 1st, 2014, 06:49 PM
For those in the loop, what are the odds of the zoning approval and fundraising getting construction started in time for the 2015 season? The Flames travel up there for the first time that fall and I might make the trip.

I'll let you know when I know for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

If James Madison leaves the CAA should look to Fordham before taking on schools like Coastal or Monmouth whose admission standards are "you have a pulse, you're in".

Check the latest US News and Report rankings dumbass... MU climbing higher and higher every year. Already top 30 in Northeast

Go...gate
February 1st, 2014, 07:13 PM
Check the latest US News and Report rankings dumbass... MU climbing higher and higher every year. Already top 30 in Northeast[/QUOTE]

Monmouth and Rider have both made significant progress in recent years. Rider, another school which has expressed some interest in joining the PL over the years, is up to #16 now.

Dave195
February 1st, 2014, 07:23 PM
CAA is a better fit for MU. Also, Rider doesn't have a football program and it's basketball arena is akin to a HS gym.

Sader87
February 1st, 2014, 08:53 PM
Villanova is really the only potential PL-football member out there in the near future. Richmond and W&M are potential SoCon members depending on how things play out.

Monmouth is never going to the PL....I could see them replacing one of the above 3 in the CAA.

Beachdude
February 1st, 2014, 09:04 PM

As a father of a Coastal Pre-Med student with a 3.94 GPA, I resent that remark.

Bogus Megapardus
February 1st, 2014, 11:31 PM
If James Madison leaves the CAA should look to Fordham

Are the Rams considering leaving Patriot League football?

Go...gate
February 2nd, 2014, 07:47 PM
Are the Rams considering leaving Patriot League football?

After all the effort they went through on the scholarship issue, I doubt it.

Dave195
February 9th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Should be completed by the 2015 home opener. http://www.app.com/article/20140208/NJSPORTS0220/302080066/Monmouth-University-unveils-vision-15-million-stadium-upgrade?nclick_check=1

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 9th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Should be completed by the 2015 home opener. http://www.app.com/article/20140208/NJSPORTS0220/302080066/Monmouth-University-unveils-vision-15-million-stadium-upgrade?nclick_check=1

Is the Lehigh-Monmouth series scheduled to continue past this year? If so, Lehigh might have the honor of being the first opponent in the renovated digs...

Dave195
February 9th, 2014, 03:59 PM
No idea, only part of the 2015 schedule I've seen so far are the Big South opponents. Also, an FBS opponent.

DFW HOYA
February 11th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Monmouth is never going to the PL....I could see them replacing one of the above 3 in the CAA.

If the PL presidents decide to cut ties with Georgetown over the scholarship issue, there will be pressure to get a school in quickly to fill future schedules. Monmouth is getting into a position to do this.

Monmouth may not have a brand name or a strong academic identity, but they're working at it. Scholarships and facilities are absent south of the PL's Mason-Dixon Line and this will have to be addressed at some point.

Bill
February 11th, 2014, 08:34 AM
DFW

You could be right - be I hope not! If anything, I worry about the disconnect coming from Georgetown, not the PL. We all know that athletics has a business component....but almost zero total athletic programs make $$ at this level. I value the association with Gtown simply on an academic level...and I believe the PL presidents value it as well, with our without the scholarships. Would it be nice to replace Gtown with a "more competitive" (in theory) team...perhaps. This league was founded with strong academic principles, and I'm not ready to give them up for Monmouth!

Go...gate
February 11th, 2014, 06:04 PM
If the PL presidents decide to cut ties with Georgetown over the scholarship issue, there will be pressure to get a school in quickly to fill future schedules. Monmouth is getting into a position to do this.

Monmouth may not have a brand name or a strong academic identity, but they're working at it. Scholarships and facilities are absent south of the PL's Mason-Dixon Line and this will have to be addressed at some point.

Not going to happen.

Dave195
February 11th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I don't wanna be in a conference w/ toothpaste anyways lol

Go...gate
February 11th, 2014, 08:01 PM

I intended no offense aganst Monmouth. I am very familiar with the school and think highly of it. Monmouth is getting better each and every year.

I just think the PL Presidents want Georgetown to stay - and I do, too, though it means they are going to have a very tough row to hoe.

I look forward to seeing games at your new facility in West Long Branch.

Bogus Megapardus
February 11th, 2014, 08:18 PM

I wasn't aware that the PL presidents were considering cutting ties with Georgetown. The only notion of which I'm aware is that the PL presidents enthusiastically support Georgetown's continued, long term membership in the league.

DFW HOYA
February 11th, 2014, 08:34 PM
I wasn't aware that the PL presidents were considering cutting ties with Georgetown.

I don't see it now, but a few years of increasingly noncompetitive play by GU may have some questioning why one team in the league remains at odds with the rest of the group.

As for Monmouth (and that's still the topic here), chalk it up to PL paternalism. If this was a school founded in 1833 and having played football when Jim Thorpe rode across the gridiron, they may be more acceptable in the Lehigh Valley. Instead, Monmouth was founded as a junior college in 1933 and didn't begin football until the Clinton administration. Still, they are making a lot of good moves of late.

Bogus Megapardus
February 11th, 2014, 08:48 PM
having played football when Jim Thorpe rode across the gridiron

Indeed, it was our gridiron across which Jim Thorpe rode.

http://imageshack.com/a/img839/9078/z7ea.jpg

And that hallow'd ground remains to this day. That's got to count for something . . . xcoolx

Bogus Megapardus
February 11th, 2014, 09:42 PM

Hey . . . you can't insult Colgate like that. Only we can insult Colgate like that. xnodx

http://imageshack.com/a/img513/6946/1ts5.jpg

PAllen
February 12th, 2014, 12:21 PM
I don't see it now, but a few years of increasingly noncompetitive play by GU may have some questioning why one team in the league remains at odds with the rest of the group.

As for Monmouth (and that's still the topic here), chalk it up to PL paternalism. If this was a school founded in 1833 and having played football when Jim Thorpe rode across the gridiron, they may be more acceptable in the Lehigh Valley. Instead, Monmouth was founded as a junior college in 1933 and didn't begin football until the Clinton administration. Still, they are making a lot of good moves of late.

Eh, it took years before Fordham was able to compete, nobody seemed to care then.

Bogus Megapardus
February 12th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Eh, it took years before Fordham was able to compete, nobody seemed to care then.

Back in the day Grantland Rice turned Lombardi and Fordham football into household names (and vice-versa). That counts for something, too. Living in the distant past is a rigorous discipline, you know . . . xcoolx

Bisonoline
February 12th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Back in the day Grantland Rice turned Lombardi and Fordham football into household names (and vice-versa). That counts for something, too. Living in the distant past is a rigorous discipline, you know . . . xcoolx

Yeah who ever heard of the Four Blocks of Granite.

citdog
February 12th, 2014, 05:50 PM

Yet somehow the Big South is a better league.....

citdog
February 12th, 2014, 05:55 PM

then you haven't been paying attention

UNHWildcat18
February 12th, 2014, 09:55 PM
then you haven't been paying attention

Not really, don't really care about the soconn to be honest. My guess is that their academics were not on par?

Franks Tanks
February 13th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Yet somehow the Big South is a better league.....

Not really. Liberty and Coastal have good programs. Stony Brook had some really good teams when they were parked there. The rest of the league isn't scaring anybody.

Dave195
May 2nd, 2014, 04:12 PM
http://blogs.app.com/hawks/2014/05/02/monmouth-athletic-director-marilyn-mcneil-addresses-kessler-field-renovation/

Sly Fox
May 2nd, 2014, 04:30 PM
Wishing the MU folks nothing but the best getting it accomplished in time for the 2015 season. If the Flames wind up coming up there as planned, I'd love an excuse to make the trip.

Dave195
June 10th, 2014, 03:37 AM
http://www.monmouthhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14300&ATCLID=209518037

https://twitter.com/MonmouthStadium/status/476155290950569984/photo/1 (http://www.monmouthhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14300&ATCLID=209518037)

ccd494
June 10th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Not really. Liberty and Coastal have good programs. Stony Brook had some really good teams when they were parked there. The rest of the league isn't scaring anybody.

Lehigh and Fordham have good programs. The rest of the league isn't scaring anybody.

Dave195
June 10th, 2014, 08:21 AM
http://blogs.app.com/hawks/2014/05/02/monmouth-athletic-director-marilyn-mcneil-addresses-kessler-field-renovation/