PDA

View Full Version : Update on Nova player hurt at UMaine

PapaBear
October 17th, 2006, 09:07 AM
This was as scary an injury as I've seen on a football field. Remarkably, the kid is expected back for Spring drills.

http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/maineblackbears.aspx?articleid=141890&zoneid=221

UNHWildCats
October 17th, 2006, 09:12 AM
This was as scary an injury as I've seen on a football field. Remarkably, the kid is expected back for Spring drills.

http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/maineblackbears.aspx?articleid=141890&zoneid=221

Good to hear he will fully recover.

and :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: for the Maine Blackbear family on great sportmanship.

Fordham
October 17th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Wow, thank God the kid is going to be ok. And kudos to everyone from UMaine on what sounds like great support as well as sportsmanship they provided.

GannonFan
October 17th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Good to hear - Maine under Cosgrove normally doesn't seem to generate articles like this so that makes it even better to hear.

89Hen
October 17th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Great to hear that he will make a full recovery. The A10 is full of classy coaches. :nod:

USDFAN_55
October 17th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Good to hear he is doing ok. I remember when I was playing a team memeber had the same injury. It was a very traumatic experience for both teams and fans. I hope for the best for him, his family, and his team.

DetroitFlyer
October 17th, 2006, 10:50 AM
http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/092306aaa.html

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/klaus_casey00.html

From the Dayton website:

"The game was marred by a career-ending injury suffered by senior cornerback Casey Klaus. Klaus fractured both his tibia and fibula in left leg on the game's fifth play. He was removed from the field by stretcher and taken immediately the hospital, where he had successful surgery on the leg."

Casey was an all-PFL player and a senior leader on our team. Oddly enough, since his season ending injury, we have not won a game.... Acording to the staff at Dayton, Casey is doing OK. He is also expected to fully recover, although as a graduating senior, his football career is most likely over.

Pards Rule
October 17th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Kudos to the Black Bears!

Umass74
October 17th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Glad to hear that he will recover and play football again.

The scariest situation I ever saw was in 1990 at Delaware. UMass ran some option back then and our quarterback Gary Wilkos broke his neck during a running play.

Delaware had two ambulances at the game, but both had been called away for other runs.

Wilkos lay on the turf at the Tub for 45 minutes while the Delaware people tried to locate another ambulance.

He ended up not being paralyzed, but was hospitalized for some time. He never played again. The Delaware people were excellent to him. He got lots of cards and letters from Hen fans. Even the Delaware governer called his hosptial room.

Wilkos was an excellent QB. In only 1 1/2 years of play, he still ranks high in many UMass QB records.

AZGrizFan
October 17th, 2006, 11:01 AM
On Sunday, with Ridley laying in a hospital bed, he received visits from UMaine players and coaches.

"We just tried to do the right thing [Sunday] for a young man that was a long way from home," Cosgrove said. "He needed some support. A couple of big groups [of players] went up to see him and spent some time with him."

The contingent took Ridley some Kentucky Fried Chicken and Cosgrove’s son Matthew gave him an issue of Sports Illustrated in the hope of lifting his spirits.

"He [Ridley] really felt great that those kids would go over to see him," Talley said. "The sportsmanship from the Maine people was just fantastic."

There's a reason why, many moons ago on a thread that asked what were your favorite I-AA teams, I listed Maine.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

ngineer
October 17th, 2006, 10:51 PM
:hurray: :hurray: Kudos to Maine. Too bad this story did not get "the play" the Miami fiasco got....

LeopardFan04
October 17th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Glad to hear that he's doing okay...and :hurray: to Maine...

mainejeff
October 18th, 2006, 08:16 AM
:hurray: :hurray: Kudos to Maine. Too bad this story did not get "the play" the Miami fiasco got....

It's not I-A, so we don't count........:rolleyes:

Go...gate
October 18th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Great job by Maine! xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Great job by Maine! xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

Great to Hear the young man is doing well. I have been involved in games where such an injury has occurred and it is next to impossible to walk back on the field and continue the game, all you can think about is the health of the player in question. This shows the brotherhood of football players, you play your buts off between the lines, but when the game is over you have ultimate respect for those on the other side who do the same thing you do(or did) on a daily basis.

DetroitFlyer
October 19th, 2006, 09:03 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2006/10/18/ddn101906archb1.html

DC 'gater
October 19th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Glad to hear that he will recover and play football again.

The scariest situation I ever saw was in 1990 at Delaware. UMass ran some option back then and our quarterback Gary Wilkos broke his neck during a running play.

Delaware had two ambulances at the game, but both had been called away for other runs.

Wilkos lay on the turf at the Tub for 45 minutes while the Delaware people tried to locate another ambulance.

He ended up not being paralyzed, but was hospitalized for some time. He never played again. The Delaware people were excellent to him. He got lots of cards and letters from Hen fans. Even the Delaware governer called his hosptial room.

Wilkos was an excellent QB. In only 1 1/2 years of play, he still ranks high in many UMass QB records.

Gary and I were HS teammates. He was a fantastic QB. I'll never forget when I got the call that night from Pete Lembo (another HS teammate). Scary stuff. Gary is doing great now in his post football life.