PDA

View Full Version : Bob Ford Field $20 million and 16,000 additional seat expansion; Plan in the works

Dane96
January 27th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Highlights:

1. School deciding whether to wait or move forward ASAP. Should be decided in next few months;
2. Public / Private partnership;
3. Expansion to 24,000 total seats;
4. Locker room facility and other amenities (TBD) added;
5. Sounds like the design is close to being completed;
6. Support from A.D. and the President of the University;
7. Previous $12 million request in this year's capital budget for planning of an indoor facility (All Sport, including football and track) and expansion of stadium; and
8. Reference to another "tier" on the home side. I actually think that will be a tier that is VIP boxes and a few rows of "lounge" seats.

Probably moving forward quickly to be ready for whatever changes COULD occur at the TOP OF FCS/NON Big 5 conference FBS teams.

http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/38M-game-plan-for-gridiron-glory-at-UAlbany-5175422.php#photo-5776777 (http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/38M-game-plan-for-gridiron-glory-at-UAlbany-5175422.php#photo-5776777)

UNHWildcat18
January 27th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Wow thats a whole lot of planning they have to do. I really wonder what will become of college football in the future with this big 5 split going on.

Dane96
January 27th, 2014, 02:25 PM
I think the planning part is essentially done but for Coach Gattuso's wish list for the program (recruiting budget, road games, home games, amenities, etc.)

ursus arctos horribilis
January 27th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Man, that is cool to see Albany moving the way they have in the last 5 yrs. Very nice.

We need to get that H&H series done now. Make it happen Dane96 and Danefan.

Dane96
January 27th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Would love to make that happen. I missed the first matchups, and I'm dying to get to Montana.

MplsBison
January 27th, 2014, 03:21 PM
FBS ambitions for Albany and Stony Brook.

Dane96
January 27th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Not so sure about FBS right now...or even 5 years from now. I do think that they want to be in whatever that second tier of football is if any break in divisions ultimately occurs. IN short, they want to stay with our new brethren, the CAA.

MplsBison
January 27th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Not so sure about FBS right now...or even 5 years from now. I do think that they want to be in whatever that second tier of football is if any break in divisions ultimately occurs. IN short, they want to stay with our new brethren, the CAA.

I'm saying Albany and Stony Brook want to be classified by the NCAA the same as Buffalo. If you want to call that "the second tier", that's your prerogative. The NCAA refers to it as "FBS" and that's not going to change for a minimum of 12 years.

Dane96
January 27th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Sure, let me make this statement again; unless something drastic changes, Albany does not want to move into the current version of the FBS anytime in the near term. If, and likely ONLY if, the FBS breaks apart and the mid-low tier non Power Conferences form a new division with the upper tier of FCS, both Stony Brook and Albany WOULD like to be in the discussion.

How's that sound? Don't worry, your elevator tower issue will be resolved...

ursus arctos horribilis
January 27th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Sure, let me make this statement again; unless something drastic changes, Albany does not want to move into the current version of the FBS anytime in the near term. If, and likely ONLY if, the FBS breaks apart and the mid-low tier non Power Conferences form a new division with the upper tier of FCS, both Stony Brook and Albany WOULD like to be in the discussion.

Your points were perfectly clear right from the giddyup. Only one guy would try and make something out of that. I think most of the teams in the position o make this happen if that were to happen would be doing the same. I think once we some efforting going on around the country in the area of facilities (to a greater and wider extent than current) then we'll have a good idea what's coming down the pipeline as well.

MplsBison
January 27th, 2014, 07:20 PM

It sounds nonsensical.

FBS is not breaking up. The agreement was just signed and they haven't even played the first season yet. The agreement is for twelve years.

Keep in mind, every new iteration of the I-A/FBS post-season "system" has been MORE inclusive and MORE accessible to teams that are members of the MWC, MAC, Sun Belt and CUSA. That's the antithesis of break up.

Dane96
January 27th, 2014, 07:36 PM
And agreements are never broken.

Back to the topic of the thread.....

blukeys
January 27th, 2014, 07:59 PM

Congrats to UA. Any Law school that can produce a Megyn Kelly is fine in my book.xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthum bsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthum bsupx

Bogus Megapardus
January 27th, 2014, 08:00 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the current facility's current footprint was designed with expansion in mind, correct? So if the numbers support it the expansion would not require extensive architectural and environmental (e.g. government permit) prep work. Just the build out costs and the will to do so.

Seawolf97
January 27th, 2014, 08:13 PM
This is good news. Talk at SBU was that our stadium will expand to about 10.5 K by adding seats , additional restrooms and concession stands on the visitors side. When that will happen is anybody's guess. Football is alive and well in the SUNY System with SBU, Albany and Buffalo all moving forward.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 27th, 2014, 08:36 PM
This is good news. Talk at SBU was that our stadium will expand to about 10.5 K by adding seats , additional restrooms and concession stands on the visitors side. When that will happen is anybody's guess. Football is alive and well in the SUNY System with SBU, Albany and Buffalo all moving forward.

I still wonder what the ultimate ceiling is for the SUNY schools. New York State's reception to collegiate athletics has been lukewarm at best. The "major" SUNY schools have all received some sort of facility upgrade in the last decade so there is a history of financial commitment. I'm not sure if that alone will get it done relative to aspirations...

Dane96
January 27th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Congrats to UA. Any Law school that can produce a Megyn Kelly is fine in my book.xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthum bsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthum bsupx

Sadly, Albany law is part of Union University (not Union College). One of the oldest, if not the oldest, independent schools in the nation. I believe there will be some additional push to make this part of UA over the years.

:)

Dane96
January 27th, 2014, 08:51 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the current facility's current footprint was designed with expansion in mind, correct? So if the numbers support it the expansion would not require extensive architectural and environmental (e.g. government permit) prep work. Just the build out costs and the will to do so.

Correct. Elevator shaft goes up to the top level already. Heery was kept on to finish designs until 2014 end, or early 2015, I believe. Most of the "local" work has been done. It was built for modular expansion. It won't look exactly like the initial dream, which was a lot of concrete, but it will look close I suspect.

slycat
January 27th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Pretty cool. I really liked how UA approached the construction of the new stadium. Expansion to 24,000 would look beautiful. Hope you have the support to fill it up. UA is making a strong commitment to the CAA. Smart move IMO. Seems y'all have good leadership in place.

danefan
January 27th, 2014, 09:21 PM

My understanding is that the architectural and environmental work is already completed to handle the full 24,000. Underground plumbing and electrical systems, etc....all ready to go.

Which is why it took $19m to build basically 5,000 permanent seats but only an additional $20m to add 19,000 additional permanent seats.

Dane96
January 27th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Whoops. Forgot the number is 19,000. Temp seats. Doh.

centennial
January 27th, 2014, 11:08 PM
I wish we could expand the fargodome to 25k. Probably not happening anytime soon. Congratulations to Albany on the upgrade.

bluehenbillk
January 28th, 2014, 08:26 AM
That'd be great news for Albany if it happens. Now they just have to figure out how to win football games & fill those extra seats.

M Ruler
January 28th, 2014, 09:33 AM
That'd be great news for Albany if it happens. Now they just have to figure out how to win football games & fill those extra seats.

The wins will come and the tradition will continue. Last year was an aberration but we did get a sound A$$ kicking in the CAA. We would not have won the NEC last year either.

Gattuso is getting it done already recruiting wise. Some FBS transfers from Maryland and a good mix of good recruits. I fully well expect 6-7 wins this season. I think we could compete for a CAA title in 3-4 years.

OOC Games: Duquesne, CCSU, Columbia and Colgate should be wins (although we said the same thing last year) and a win over Rhode Island, Stony and or Delaware should get us to 6-7 wins.

Seats will always be filled early in season. I do worry of cold weather games unless playoffs are on the line. Also some Ivy teams as well as low end FBS games would also be nice to draw a crowd.

UNH Fanboi
January 28th, 2014, 09:58 AM

It's only a matter of time. Albany is well-positioned to recruit from the underrated mid-Atlantic region and eastern portions of the Midwest.

danefan
January 28th, 2014, 10:22 AM
It's only a matter of time. Albany is well-positioned to recruit from the underrated mid-Atlantic region and eastern portions of the Midwest.

Should see some of the recruits we're already getting. Not that stars matter in the long run, but we've got a number of 2, 3 and 4-star commits. These kids are also vocally recruiting on behalf of Albany as well. We just got a 2-start OL from Paramus Catholic after his 3-star QB committed to us and turned down offers in hand from MAC schools.

Dane96
January 28th, 2014, 10:33 AM
The best part is that the kids and coaches seem to really like Coach Gattuso. The twitter feeds have been stating that he is a football guy and a good guy. This is so, so important not only for recruiting/winning games but for the Albany community, especially due to who Coach is replacing.

Great job so far by Coach Gattuso, and an even better (and ballsy) job by President Jones and AD McElroy for coming out and saying they are ready to play with the big boys financially and on the field.

We truly are an awakened program...much like Stony Brook.

MplsBison
January 28th, 2014, 05:07 PM
I still wonder what the ultimate ceiling is for the SUNY schools. New York State's reception to collegiate athletics has been lukewarm at best. The "major" SUNY schools have all received some sort of facility upgrade in the last decade so there is a history of financial commitment. I'm not sure if that alone will get it done relative to aspirations...

I'd like to see Binghampton add football as well.

MplsBison
January 28th, 2014, 05:08 PM

As I said, each new iteration has been more inclusive, not less.

If the twelve year agreement is broken early, it will only be to add additional rounds or games to the playoff bracket - therefore giving more opportunity to the "lower" FBS conferences to be included.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 28th, 2014, 06:33 PM

They got a new arena about 7 years ago then proceeded to have one of the biggest scandals in NCAA history. I don't think Binghamton will be expanding their athletic department any time soon. It's a shame too, Binghamton and Geneseo are the best schools in the SUNY system imo.

mainejeff
January 29th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Should see some of the recruits we're already getting. Not that stars matter in the long run, but we've got a number of 2, 3 and 4-star commits. These kids are also vocally recruiting on behalf of Albany as well. We just got a 2-start OL from Paramus Catholic after his 3-star QB committed to us and turned down offers in hand from MAC schools.

Albany has 4-star commitments??? WOW!

danefan
January 29th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Albany has 4-star commitments??? WOW!

I can never tell if your being sarcastic or not Jeff, but yes. We have a 4-star transfer OL who was a starter at Maryland. Certainly not unheard of in FCS, but not common place for us at all.

And I don't put much weight in stars, but it shows at least that the potential of our recruits is increasing.

UNHWildcat18
January 29th, 2014, 09:05 AM
The CAA is gonna be even more competitive in the next few years. Really excited to see how URI and UA responds to new coaches and directions

Danielr11220
January 29th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Binghamton is on of the 4 Main SUNY Schools( and the only one w/o footbal), along with Albany, Buffalo and Stony Brook it would be cool to Create SUNY cup with all 4 teams

They got a new arena about 7 years ago then proceeded to have one of the biggest scandals in NCAA history. I don't think Binghamton will be expanding their athletic department any time soon. It's a shame too, Binghamton and Geneseo are the best schools in the SUNY system imo.

Dane96
January 29th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Bing is screwed. They will not add football barring a major institutional change. If there is movement in leagues, the AE potentially could collapse (I could see a situation where UNH, Albany, SBU and maybe UVM all leave).

They would be in a major pickle as far as conferences go.

danefan
January 29th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Binghamton is on of the 4 Main SUNY Schools( and the only one w/o footbal), along with Albany, Buffalo and Stony Brook it would be cool to Create SUNY cup with all 4 teams

It would be cool but I don't think it will ever happen. Binghamton has never had any interest in football.

MplsBison
January 29th, 2014, 12:48 PM

Interesting. And yes, it would be too bad if Binghampton never added football. I don't see why past basketball arena scandals would inhibit that, necessarily.

Again, all it takes is some donors to help foot facilities and then get the students to pay for the yearly costs with more fees. Like I always say, if you want nice things - then you pay for them.

MplsBison
January 29th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Bing is screwed. They will not add football barring a major institutional change. If there is movement in leagues, the AE potentially could collapse (I could see a situation where UNH, Albany, SBU and maybe UVM all leave).

They would be in a major pickle as far as conferences go.

And to where would those four schools move? They're in the northeast medium sized public school league. There isn't another.

They certainly aren't moving to the ECAC South for basketball. Why pay such an increase in travel costs for no gain? One-bid league to one-bid league?

Mattymc727
January 29th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Meanwhile in Durham, NH we put a tarp over our little field pit so we can use it for year number 86 or whatever. Who needs a stadium anyway?

MplsBison
January 29th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Meanwhile in Durham, NH we put a tarp over our little field pit so we can use it for year number 86 or whatever. Who needs a stadium anyway?

Serious question: does UNH have no wealthy alumni to tap for facility enhancements? What about proposing a "stadium fee" to the students - would they vote it down?

Mattymc727
January 29th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Serious question: does UNH have no wealthy alumni to tap for facility enhancements? What about proposing a "stadium fee" to the students - would they vote it down?

From your mouth to the AD's ears. Im at a loss for what they are even trying to do. There are many simple solutions, none are being used. The wealthy donors do donate. UNH got 30 mil for a new business school 2 years ago. They are getting 20 mil from someone else for a new political science building. Nothing for cowell stadium....

Its infuriating.

ccd494
January 29th, 2014, 03:08 PM
From your mouth to the AD's ears. Im at a loss for what they are even trying to do. There are many simple solutions, none are being used. The wealthy donors do donate. UNH got 30 mil for a new business school 2 years ago. They are getting 20 mil from someone else for a new political science building. Nothing for cowell stadium....

Its infuriating.

Yes god forbid people donate money to collegiate academics.

MplsBison
January 29th, 2014, 07:49 PM

Its infuriating.

I would be infuriated if the gifts were open ended, but I'm guessing those two specific gifts you mention were deemed for those exact purposes but the donor. Nothing much to be done in that case, except lobby for another gift that is open ended or for athletics.

UNHWildcat18
January 30th, 2014, 01:27 AM
How in the last decade there has been no marketed campaign across the state to alum or not for a new stadium for UNH is beyond me. Half of the football projects across america have ways to donate, awards, incentives, and advertising across regions and reach out to alumni. UNH.....nada

danefan
January 30th, 2014, 06:50 AM
How in the last decade there has been no marketed campaign across the state to alum or not for a new stadium for UNH is beyond me. Half of the football projects across america have ways to donate, awards, incentives, and advertising across regions and reach out to alumni. UNH.....nada

We struggled with the same thing. Despite the fact that it eventually got done, I still never understood why we didn't do a direct marketing campaign for our stadium. Still think we squandered an opportunity.

mainejeff
January 30th, 2014, 11:32 AM
The UNH stadium issue is truly bizarre.

Danielr11220
January 30th, 2014, 12:37 PM

Seems like the ad needs to up the marketing for some fundraising. start more direct marketing. heck maybe even start a kick starter campaign. something would be better than nothing.

Wallace
January 30th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Seems like the ad needs to up the marketing for some fundraising. start more direct marketing. heck maybe even start a kick starter campaign. something would be better than nothing.

be the person that gets it done!

UAalum72
January 31st, 2014, 12:13 PM
Albany president says "no immediate expansion plans " http://blog.timesunion.com/sports/ualbany-president-no-immediate-plans-to-expand-football-stadium/513/

in response to opposition from the local rag http://blog.timesunion.com/opinion/ualbanys-misguided-goal/27545/

Sader87
February 1st, 2014, 08:34 AM
How did UA draw at home last year? I know it was a tough/transitional year on the field...just curious.

Wallace
February 1st, 2014, 09:07 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2014/02/01/ualbany-president-says-20m-football?blog=2#more8654

"As you know, the original stadium was designed to accommodate future growth, however it is very premature at this time to be considering this,” Jones wrote in his email. “We have no plans now, or in the near future, to embark on such a project. We have other significant academic, infrastructure and research priorities that need to be addressed.”

Bruce Svare, a UAlbany professor of psychology and neuroscience who’s been one of the project’s most outspoken critics, said he was pleased the president made clear the expansion wouldn’t be happening right away.

“I’m pro-academics; I’m not anti-sports,” Svare said. “You want to see the institution moving in a direction where you can see we’re covering all our bases in terms of what our needs are. As the president said aptly in his email, there are things we need to do in terms of infrastructure and our research. I don’t see athletics being a priority right now.”

It is not hopeful language for Dane football fans and the classic academic vs. athletic struggle for funds. OUCH!

UAalum72
February 1st, 2014, 09:36 AM
How did UA draw at home last year? I know it was a tough/transitional year on the field...just curious.
Official average 6,874, but opening day (over 11,000) and homecoming (probably 9,500) were both well over capacity even though they only reported the fire-code limit of 8,500.

CSN-info
February 2nd, 2014, 11:49 AM
UAlbany president says $20M football stadium expansion not a priority (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2014/02/01/ualbany-president-says-20m-football?blog=2) The University at Albany has “no immediate expansion plans” for Bob Ford Field, the $18 million sports stadium that opened in the fall, the school president said Friday in an email to the campus community.

UAalum72
February 2nd, 2014, 01:32 PM
It is not hopeful language for Dane football fans and the classic academic vs. athletic struggle for funds. OUCH!

Svare has for many years been the Times-Union's go-to guy for opposition to Albany athletics

MplsBison
February 3rd, 2014, 03:07 PM
Svare has for many years been the Times-Union's go-to guy for opposition to Albany athletics

If Albany ever wants to be perceived as an elite tier public research university, it needs major league athletics.