PDA

View Full Version : Stand up for football

tribe ol
October 16th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Take a moment to read the comments below by the great Bill Curry. ACC institutions have a choice to make. They are the ones that have the power and influence to show the University of Miami and the conference office (Swofford) the clear choice between sanity and perpetuating a corrupt pseudo-professional football league. Here’s hoping someone in the ACC (Duke, Wake, UVA, someone) works behind the scenes to help preserve any integrity that remains in the BCS conferences…

The Two Pains
Here is what must be done to prevent a continued slide into the ugly underside of human nature. Based on the tapes, fight participants can be placed rather easily into four categories:

1. Spontaneous: Players who instinctively responded to the first shot, who defended themselves, and then stayed above the fray. They should be commended.

2. Peacemakers: The ones who spent the entire time trying hard to break it up. They should be made captains.

3. The Serious Fighters: The ones who started, continued and took the fight to its conclusion. They should be suspended several games, the number of which should correlate to the damage they caused.

4. The Lethal Few: The ones who ran into the fray looking for someone to maim, the ones who hit people in the back of the head, stomped faces, necks, groins and any other unprotected part of defenseless opponents. They should be out for at least one year, perhaps for life, depending on whether they were successful in ending another career, which was their obvious intent. Lest you feel sorry for this group, don't. They are the sociopaths who do not wish to do anything by any rules. To them, there are no innocents, no one exempt from their wrath. If women and children are present, one gets the sense they would just at soon hit them as well. Trust me, this group understands one thing: utter banishment, including the loss of NFL opportunities. Put just one of these guys out of commission, and you probably prevent other similar scenarios in the future.

There are two pains in life, the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. You choose. I choose. At times like this, the entire leadership cadre of organized sport chooses. We are at a crucial juncture. How we choose here will make all the difference in the potential perfect storms to come.

Tribe4SF
October 16th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Amen.

Thanks for posting this, OL. We discussed this situation at the W&M QB Club tonight. These events are made possible by a pattern of permissiveness that has become all too common in some programs.

TheTribeHasSpoken
October 16th, 2006, 09:07 PM
scUM should forfeit their next game. FIU should too, but they would probably lose anyway.

ASU Kep
October 16th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Amen.

PantherRob82
October 16th, 2006, 11:15 PM
I hope more players are removed from the team. Sounded like a few Miami players are done.

Best part is that Coker says he has a handle on the program. :rolleyes:

LeopardFan04
October 16th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Thanks for posting this...I'm sure the punishments will wind up being far to weak...as far as I'm concerned some of them should have charges filed against them...otherwise it'll never stop...