PDA

View Full Version : Regionalization must end......

putter
October 16th, 2006, 01:19 PM
After seeing this weeks poll it is clear that this system of regionalization needs to be stopped. If you throw out NDSU, UCD and the Ivy's look what it gives you! Top ten teams could play each other in the first round! It would be a difficult decision to pair teams and brackets with this finish.

(Yes I realize that the poll does not dictate who gets in and their seed, just using this as speculation)

GannonFan
October 16th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Is regionalization set in stone? There are always some odd pairings anyway - SIU went all the way to Delaware for the first round in 2003. Nicholl's St went to South Carolina last year to play Furman and GSU went out to Texas to play Texas St. . I'm sure there'll be a few non-regionalizations again this year.

putter
October 16th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I think it is a guideling to try and pair teams that are geographically compatible but not set in stone. I just looked at the teams and wish we would go back to all seeds.

bluehenbillk
October 16th, 2006, 01:44 PM
All seeds is fine w/ me.

89Hen
October 16th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Top ten teams could play each other in the first round!
You've got to play them at some point putter. I was bitter that UD had to play highly ranked SIU in the first round in 2003, but it turned out OK. :D

matfu
October 16th, 2006, 09:05 PM
the rule in the past has been that teams from the same conference cannot play each other in the first round. since the regionalization started five years ago, the southern conference has been concerned as was mentioned above. for instance, furman would have been happy to play anybody in the semis last year other than app state. it could certainly happen again this year ie. furman and app state meeting in the playoffs.

blukeys
October 16th, 2006, 09:21 PM
There is no "regionalization". There are 4 seeds guaranteed home games as long as they want them and are still alive. The committee does have guidelines as to how opponents are to be picked for the top 4 teams on a geographic basis and tries to limit travel expenses in the first round but there is no attempt to have a region with equal amount of teams nor is there a "regional champion". This is the case in D-2 where slots are laid out for teams within the region.

If there was true regionalization, there would be no way the winner of the 2004 GSU - New Hampshire game would have to travel to Montana for a second round game.

I have no problem with returning to seeding but that causes as much whining and bellyaching as the current system and you have to play everyone good to win a championship anyway.

PantherRob82
October 16th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I like staying kind of close to home. We don't have many options though. Only close road playoff game we could have would be in the OVC. Obviously at home would be plenty close. :)

SDFan
October 16th, 2006, 11:39 PM
I like the idea of far away games. It's a great experience for the kids. But it does bite for fans.

In the interest of fairness they should let far away games exist. It should go straight rankings. It should be the 8 at larges and the 8 autos reseeded for top 16 then bracket off of that.

putter
October 16th, 2006, 11:52 PM
You've got to play them at some point putter. I was bitter that UD had to play highly ranked SIU in the first round in 2003, but it turned out OK. :D

Yes it did! You guys had to play to tough teams to get to the NC that year. The NC game ended up being the easiest game of all.

PantherRob82
October 17th, 2006, 12:02 AM
I like the idea of far away games. It's a great experience for the kids. But it does bite for fans.

Especially when your fans are about the same age and low on funds. I got to go to New Hampshire last year, but only because of the nobel Cap'n Cat. :nod:

redbirdtim
October 17th, 2006, 01:15 AM
NCAA likes regionalization though. More chance for schools to meet their guarantees to host games through ticket sales. Also, teams have to spend less on travel.

However, I wouldn't mind a nice warm trip as a road game.

henfan
October 17th, 2006, 07:59 AM
After seeing this weeks poll it is clear that this system of regionalization needs to be stopped.

The two national polls have little if anything to do with playoff pairings. Besides, we're only half way through the season, so calm down.

As for regionalizing the initial rounds, I'm sure the I-AA Championship Committee would be all ears to hear a more equitable plan that would prevent the playoffs from running awash in red ink and provide more convenient venues for players, their parents and fans.