PDA

View Full Version : Has any non-military school ever done this?

SuperJon
October 14th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Today at our game we had the game ball parachuted into the stadium. There were three parachuters: one with the game ball, one with nothing, and one with a Liberty flag attached to him. It was a great way to start the game. If only those guys could kick. Anyone else ever do this?

jmuroller
October 14th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Happens alot. JMU has done this numerous times.

chattanoogamocs
October 14th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I am trying to remember (ralph or some of the app or uni fans probably can)...didn't the army rangers do that at the beginning of the national championship last year?

Tod
October 14th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Today at our game we had the game ball parachuted into the stadium. There were three parachuters: one with the game ball, one with nothing, and one with a Liberty flag attached to him. It was a great way to start the game. If only those guys could kick. Anyone else ever do this?

I believe UM does it every home game, weather permitting. They did it today, I watched online.

I'm not sure about the game ball, etc., but they have parachuters come in, which is what I assume you're talking about.

Appstate29
October 14th, 2006, 11:22 PM
ASU has done it a few times at home, and yes someone parachuted down in the Nat'l Championship, although I don't know who did it.

Kiss My Apps
October 14th, 2006, 11:22 PM
I am trying to remember (ralph or some of the app or uni fans probably can)...didn't the army rangers do that at the beginning of the national championship last year?

I believe the Golden Knights jumped in for the championship game... and yes, App does it for nearly every home game.

bulldog10jw
October 14th, 2006, 11:26 PM
In 1983 Yale played William & Mary in a charity game called the "Oyster Bowl". They had a bunch of military guys parachute into the stadium in the pregame festivities. Everyone of them landed dead square on the 50 yard line in the center of the field.

Interesting note on the game. Both teams wore white as explained in this article:

By THOMAS ROGERS
Published: October 4, 1983

No Home Team

When the football teams from William and Mary and Yale came on the field at Norfolk, Va., Saturday both were in white jerseys. The Elis claimed to be the visitors - after all, a Yale team had not traveled this far into the South in 53 years.

But the contest had originally been scheduled for the Yale Bowl in New Haven and later was shifted to become the annual Oyster Bowl event at Foreman Field on the campus of Old Dominion. So William and Mary saw the site as a neutral one, with Yale remaining the home team and the Indians being the visitors.

William and Mary tried to borrow green jerseys from Norfolk State, but to no avail.

The game was played with everyone in white, but the helmet and numerals provided distinction enough. The quarterbacks, Dave Murphy for the Indians and Mike Curtin for the Elis, said they had no difficulty distinguishing friend from foe, although two of Curtin's passes were intercepted and one of Murphy's. William and Mary won, 26-14.

AppState
October 14th, 2006, 11:27 PM
It would have been real interesting to see that today at App.

(VERY windy, for those not in attendance)

blukeys
October 14th, 2006, 11:35 PM
In 1983 Yale played William & Mary in a charity game called the "Oyster Bowl". They had a bunch of military guys parachute into the stadium in the pregame festivities. Everyone of them landed dead square on the 50 yard line in the center of the field.

Interesting note on the game. Both teams wore white as explained in this article:

By THOMAS ROGERS
Published: October 4, 1983

No Home Team

When the football teams from William and Mary and Yale came on the field at Norfolk, Va., Saturday both were in white jerseys. The Elis claimed to be the visitors - after all, a Yale team had not traveled this far into the South in 53 years.

But the contest had originally been scheduled for the Yale Bowl in New Haven and later was shifted to become the annual Oyster Bowl event at Foreman Field on the campus of Old Dominion. So William and Mary saw the site as a neutral one, with Yale remaining the home team and the Indians being the visitors.

William and Mary tried to borrow green jerseys from Norfolk State, but to no avail.

The game was played with everyone in white, but the helmet and numerals provided distinction enough. The quarterbacks, Dave Murphy for the Indians and Mike Curtin for the Elis, said they had no difficulty distinguishing friend from foe, although two of Curtin's passes were intercepted and one of Murphy's. William and Mary won, 26-14.

Excellent Story.

McNeese75
October 14th, 2006, 11:38 PM
At least once a year

kirkblitz
October 15th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Does VMI always do it?

crunifan
October 15th, 2006, 01:07 AM
We have it like once a year. :p

SuperJon
October 15th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I figured people have done it, didn't realize some schools did it nearly every game.

gophoenix
October 15th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Elon has done this numerous times and even had a helicopter from Fort Bragg bring in the game ball for homecoming back in the 90s.

mountain man
October 15th, 2006, 06:05 PM
How does UNI have someone parachute in??xlolx

HensRock
October 15th, 2006, 07:37 PM
How does UNI have someone parachute in??xlolx

Haha!
Maybe he just bungees from the rafters!

crunifan
October 15th, 2006, 07:47 PM
xlolx

Yeah, it was a joke. I was hoping someone would catch that! xsmileyclapx