PDA

View Full Version : Florida A&M Rattlers Sign 13 Transfers

superman7515
December 23rd, 2013, 01:30 PM
http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20131219/FAMU03/312190035/Florida-M-football-inks-13-transfers (http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20131219/FAMU03/312190035/Florida-M-football-inks-13-transfers?nclick_check=1)

As head coach Earl Holmes and two members of his staff waited for the last couple of signed scholarships to come into Wednesday night, they used the opportunity to review some of the junior college transfers who will come to FAMU in January.
They clearly were high on quarterback Brian Blackburn, who is transferring from the University of Toledo.

“You see a 6-foot-6 quarterback who can step back and look over the field and throw the deep ball as well as can run it,” Holmes said. “It’s a great thing.”

That is exactly the way that Holmes, who is beginning his second season as head coach, summed up his first signing class. The day’s signings were limited to transfers from BCS programs and junior colleges.

FAMU also signed quarterback Shazzon Mumphrey from Monroe College. Mumphrey. At 6-foot-4, 230 pounds, he threw for 1,600 yards and 16 touchdowns last season....

Safety Eddie Williams, who signed with Alabama out of high school, was the biggest name signed on Wednesday. Williams had offers from several programs since he was dismissed from Alabama following his involvement in a robbery.

“We are pleased to give him an opportunity to live out his dream as far as playing college football,” Holmes said. “Coming to FAMU gives him an opportunity to stay near home in Panama City so his family can enjoy watching him play.”

Williams was ranked the No.1 player in Florida by ESPNU and Rivals.com coming out of Arnold High School in 2011.

centennial
December 23rd, 2013, 01:43 PM
Maybe they can win the MEAC next season..

Brad82
December 23rd, 2013, 01:43 PM
Waaaay too many!

Texas
December 23rd, 2013, 01:53 PM
Waaaay too many!

You should go look at SLU's roster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

centennial
December 23rd, 2013, 02:12 PM
You should go look at SLU's roster

20 transfers?

Sammy94
December 23rd, 2013, 04:13 PM
It worked for SELA, they could be good for a year or two.

Tribal
December 24th, 2013, 07:55 AM
There should be a limit to how many FBS transfers a FCS can accept in a given year. Taking more than __# would violate some fair competition act. At the very least, make them sit a year like they have to if they go to another FBS program.

JuCo is an exception because the talent level generally doesn't match the FCS.

Professor Chaos
December 24th, 2013, 08:06 AM
There should be a limit to how many FBS transfers a FCS can accept in a given year. Taking more than __# would violate some fair competition act. At the very least, make them sit a year like they have to if they go to another FBS program.

JuCo is an exception because the talent level generally doesn't match the FCS.

I don't know what's so unfair about it. The teams that won the national title the last two years (and quite possibly the one who will win this year) didn't have a single FBS transfer on the roster. ;)

FBS transfers get fans excited but in plenty of cases the kids transferring down didn't have the physical or emotional ability to play at the FBS level and don't make much of an impact on the FCS level. There are exceptions but for every one of them there's many guys playing at the FCS level their whole career who have just as much ability.

Tribal
December 24th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Make no mistake about it...Towson is in the NC mainly because of their 17 FBS transfers. They didn't even beat a CAA opponent only a few years ago. That all changed when they opened the FBS transfer floodgate.

Texas
December 24th, 2013, 08:22 AM
I don't know what's so unfair about it. The teams that won the national title the last two years (and quite possibly the one who will win this year) didn't have a single FBS transfer on the roster. ;)

Who would want to goto middle of no where Canada?

clenz
December 24th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Make no mistake about it...Towson is in the NC mainly because of their 17 FBS transfers. They didn't even beat a CAA opponent only a few years ago. That all changed when they opened the FBS transfer floodgate.

What transfera are putting big numbers up?

I honestly didn't know and don't want to look

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

SUPharmacist
December 25th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Who would want to goto middle of no where Canada?

The point was not that we are turning FBS transfers down, it was that we have been successful against teams that have plenty of them. FBS transfers are in no way indicative of success. Plus, who wants to go to Huntsville, TX?

Texas
December 25th, 2013, 02:23 PM
The point was not that we are turning FBS transfers down, it was that we have been successful against teams that have plenty of them. FBS transfers are in no way indicative of success. Plus, who wants to go to Huntsville, TX?

Besides being close to the 4th largest city in the country and not far from College station. Not much but more that what Fargo has.

Bisonoline
December 25th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Besides being close to the 4th largest city in the country and not far from College station. Not much but more that what Fargo has.

Fargo has much more to offer than commercial glitz. The metro area is around 250,000 but has a small town feel. People go out of there way to help you. Its not for everyone. But neither is crime infested big cities.

MSUBobcat
December 25th, 2013, 04:35 PM

Wait, are you really saying Huntsville doesn't suck because its near other places that don't suck? I don't know that that is a great argument for Huntsville. Using that "logic", Compton, CA is better than Huntsville because its even closer to the 2nd largest city and not far from Westwood, CA or USC's campus. Proximity to America's largest cities and big FBS schools doesn't make your town awesome.

On topic, the 13 transfers probably have a good deal of raw talent (they were recruited FBS, after all), but for some reason they didn't succeed (on or off field problems) so it's hard to say that they will immediately transform a program or even have a significant impact. As many have said on this thread and plenty of others, for every success story, there's 10 more that weren't the impact fans expected.

Texas
December 25th, 2013, 04:36 PM
My logic is because it isn't in the middle of no where, but thanks for the story I'll never read.

Robber
December 25th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Is it the norm for Holmes to sign that many transfers??? Comegy did that when he first got to Jackson State and it turned into an APR nightmare. I also question a coach's ability to teach when they rely on so many transfers. Coach up the guys you have that'll be in the program for 4-5 years.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 25th, 2013, 08:02 PM
My logic is because it isn't in the middle of no where, but thanks for the story I'll never read.
Texas is itself the middle of nowhere!

you make me laugh

Texas
December 25th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Texas is itself the middle of nowhere!

you make me laugh

26 million vs 700k. Yep no where you can even times that by ten and still not close.

Yotes
December 25th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Houston is a terrible city. San Antonio and warm weather are the only good things about Texas, but those two points are outweighed by having to deal with Texans.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Houston is a terrible city. San Antonio and warm weather are the only good things about Texas, but those two points are outweighed by having to deal with Texans.

No it is not.

I spend part of the year 90 miles from Houston. Houston is a great city. Huntsville is nice but no where near Fargo.

Tribal
December 26th, 2013, 08:41 AM

Austin is a beautiful city and sections of the Dallas area (i.e. Highland Park / SMU) are tops.

Houston is a fine city but sprawl and the influx of displaced New Orleanians have brought it down a bit.

Texas has a lot to offer but I understand this isn't a welcomed fact in a smack venue so...

I haven't visited Fargo but I know I'd enjoy it. Nothing "terrible" about stepping outside the realm of the familiar.

Doc QB
December 26th, 2013, 09:17 AM

There are a bunch. I watched them a bunch this year on TV, and the two linebackers, both tough dudes, and a DB that I forget the names stand out. One receiver, but I think was injured. And lest we forget, West was originally a Clemson signee but went the route of prep school and the bigger schools forgot about him. I believe Andy7171 would be source of confirmation. Either way, even if they have a bunch, Towson collected a group that didnt wash out as some transfers do, they play hard, and earned a trip to TX.

clenz
December 26th, 2013, 09:29 AM
So...what I got from that was "I did know for sure what fbs transfers are putting up big numbers but I'm going to stick with the story"

West isn't a transfer if that is the case.

BisonFan02
December 26th, 2013, 09:32 AM
http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20131219/FAMU03/312190035/Florida-M-football-inks-13-transfers (http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20131219/FAMU03/312190035/Florida-M-football-inks-13-transfers?nclick_check=1)

Yeah, but are they "Soul Brothers"? :D

Doc QB
December 26th, 2013, 09:40 AM
So...what I got from that was "I did know for sure what fbs transfers are putting up big numbers but I'm going to stick with the story"

West isn't a transfer if that is the case.

I was merely being complimentary of their transfers. I didnt have time to check their roster on the school's athletics site. Yes, West is not a transfer. But TU has some studs that are not typical home grown FCS guys, and it shows on the field.

Wallace
December 26th, 2013, 01:04 PM
... I didnt have time to check their roster on the school's athletics site. Yes, West is not a transfer. But TU has some studs that are not typical home grown FCS guys, and it shows on the field.

lol, do you want this Lehigh doc operating on you?

caribbeanhen
December 26th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Huntsville is nice but no where near Fargo.

Nice call Mr. Geography

clenz
December 26th, 2013, 09:44 PM
I'm trying to do some research...but apparently McNeese State doesn't list all of their transfers old schools when they say the will. The only ones I've found so far are WR David Bush (TCU) CB Ja'Len James (UTSA) TB Jontrey Tillman (Houston) PK Ryan Rome (Tulane)

I guess I'll open each players profile to see what it says.

clenz
December 26th, 2013, 10:10 PM
So...here's what I found out from people who put numbers up (thank you MSU for putting stats right in the profile like that)

Not a single player who ran for over 100 yards on the season was a transfer.
Not a single pass was thrown by a player who was a transfer
2nd leading WR (Ernest Celestie 550 yards) was at Texas Tech for 2 years (where he never played a down)
3rd leading WR (TE Nic Jacobs) played 1 season at LSU where he had 5 total catches for less than 70 yards
Deajon Mitchell (85 yards recieving) spent 1 year at a D2 before transfering to MSU
No other player who caught a pass transferred from any level
Not a single person who recorded an INT this season was a transfer
No one that recorded a tackle this season was a transfer (okay, I stopped looking at profiles when I got to 2 total tackles or less on the season...there was probably 15-20 more players I didn't check but they had zero impact at this point)

Tribal
December 26th, 2013, 10:11 PM

Each transfer listed below started for Towson this season. I'd say this is fairly good evidence that these guys have paid off. BTW, this isn't a comprehensive list.

Love, DB, Georgia (7th on the team in tackles and top in pass break-ups)
Kinnard, WR, UConn (3rd in all-purpose yards, 2nd on the team in receiving yards)
Delaire, DE, UMass (6th on the team in tackles, first with 11.5 sacks, and first in recovered fumbles)
Gaddis, LB, U of Maryland (2nd on the team in tackles)
DiSanzo, LB, Boston College
Oboh, TE, Fl Atlantic (starting TE, fifth on the team in receptions)
Clark, LB, Virginia Tech (1st on the team in tackles)
Dowling, RB/KR, UMass (4th on the team in receptions and star kick returner)

On 2-deep

Phifer, RB, Boston College
Overstreet, LB, Rutgers (11th on team in tackles)
Gannon, DE, W. Michigan
Harvey, DB, S. Carolina

clenz
December 26th, 2013, 10:12 PM
So....

Really...

Either MSU removed all of their transfers from their roster, and their official stats, from this past season

OR

MSU has lied in their player bios and made up that a kid redshirted, or played in so many games in a previous season for MSU when really it was LSU, or another FBS

OR

The whole "THEIR TEAM IS ENTIRELY TRANSFERS AND THAT'S WHY THEY ARE GOOD" is complete bull **** brought on by people who can't stand the fact that MSU was good this year and needed something to bitch about...

I found only 2 transfers that had a "real impact" on the season....but not even 1/50th of the impact it is made out to be that transfers had.

BluBengal07
December 30th, 2013, 05:53 PM
so i guess FAMU is trying to win RIGHT NOW. we'll see about that.

Twentysix
December 30th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Wait, are you really saying Huntsville doesn't suck because its near other places that don't suck? I don't know that that is a great argument for Huntsville. Using that "logic", Compton, CA is better than Huntsville because its even closer to the 2nd largest city and not far from Westwood, CA or USC's campus. Proximity to America's largest cities and big FBS schools doesn't make your town awesome.

On topic, the 13 transfers probably have a good deal of raw talent (they were recruited FBS, after all), but for some reason they didn't succeed (on or off field problems) so it's hard to say that they will immediately transform a program or even have a significant impact. As many have said on this thread and plenty of others, for every success story, there's 10 more that weren't the impact fans expected.

If you go during the day, Compton isn't that bad... Just don't get out of your car :p.