PDA

View Full Version : Top FCS programs without any National Championships

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 19th, 2013, 10:15 AM
My attempt at this. Note that the key word is programs so it's not just very recent history. I kind of hesitate to put Wofford and UNH on the list because their success has come from one coach involved with the programs for a long time but added them anyways. Let me know if there are any obvious ones I have left out.

8. Wofford - only SoCon team to really break into GSU and App State's control over the SoCon from 2006-2012. Not a lot of deep playoff runs but certainly has played tough against top playoff competition.

Fixed years. Sorry Furman folks.

7. New Hampshire - might have more playoff appearances than any CAA team in the past 10 years

6. William and Mary - kind of erratic, but has had some good playoff runs

5. Eastern Illinois - Plenty of playoff appearances, not a lot of wins, though

4. Maine - Plenty of playoff appearances, decent amount of playoff wins

3. McNeese State - Has struggled a lot in the first round lately but has a good history of success

2. Sam Houston State - had some good runs in the playoffs even before Willie Fritz arrived.

1. Northern Iowa - plenty of playoff appearances and deep playoff appearances...never has gotten over the hump to win the big one.

Flame away.

Go Green
December 19th, 2013, 10:21 AM
In the Ivy, only Brown and Columbia haven't won a national championship.

Brown *might* belong on the list. Columbia--not so much.

Lehigh'98
December 19th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Last 15 yrs overall, Lehigh > EIU

PaladinFan
December 19th, 2013, 10:36 AM
My attempt at this. Note that the key word is programs so it's not just very recent history. I kind of hesitate to put Wofford and UNH on the list because their success has come from one coach involved with the programs for a long time but added them anyways. Let me know if there are any obvious ones I have left out.

8. Wofford - only SoCon team to really break into GSU and App State's control over the SoCon from 1998-2012. Not a lot of deep playoff runs but certainly has played tough against top playoff competition.

I almost spit out my coffee at that sentence. Doesn't three conference titles, a national title appearance, a semi final appearance, and quarterfinal appearance count? Of course, leaving off 2013 despite App and GSU both playing a full conference schedule.

I mean, crap, Marshall was really the only team to break Furman's stranglehold on the conference for 20 years.

IBleedYellow
Poor UNI. Maybe one day? Probably not.

List is accurate, but I'd swap EIU and Maine around.

Bogus Megapardus
Last 15 yrs overall, Lehigh > EIU

He said "top" . . . oh, never mind. Carry on.

OL FU
December 19th, 2013, 10:40 AM

8. Wofford - only SoCon team to really break into GSU and App State's control over the SoCon from 1998-2012. Not a lot of deep playoff runs but certainly has played tough against top playoff competition.

7. New Hampshire - might have more playoff appearances than any CAA team in the past 10 years

3. McNeese State - Has struggled a lot in the first round lately but has a good history of success

2. Sam Houston State - had some good runs in the playoffs even before Willie Fritz arrived.

1. Northern Iowa - plenty of playoff appearances and deep playoff appearances...never has gotten over the hump to win the big one.

Flame away.

Wofford should be on the list even with one coach. But your comment on the only SoCon team to break into GSU and ASU control of the SoCon from 1998 on is..................................well wrong:) maybe from 2007 on but not 1998

- - - Updated - - -

I almost spit out my coffee at that sentence. Doesn't three conference titles, a national title appearance, a semi final appearance, and quarterfinal appearance count? Of course, leaving off 2013 despite App and GSU both playing a full conference schedule.

I mean, crap, Marshall was really the only team to break Furman's stranglehold on the conference for 20 years.

You are right and I should have known you would get there before me

Lehigh'98
December 19th, 2013, 10:48 AM
He said "top" . . . oh, never mind. Carry on.

I'm only picking EIU because the OVC has been as bad as the PL, actually worse, the last 15 yrs in FCS land. More playoff wins, better teams (than EIU)....etc. I'm sorry I can't say the same for Lafayette. Even when you win (2013), you're losers (5-7).

Nickels
December 19th, 2013, 10:50 AM
:( someday...

darell1976
December 19th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Poor UNI. Maybe one day? Probably not.

List is accurate, but I'd swap EIU and Maine around.

Not if you guys keep ruining it for them. ;)

Grizalltheway
December 19th, 2013, 11:15 AM
:( someday...

But hey, you're Big Sky 'champs' and national runners-up. That's good enough, right?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 19th, 2013, 11:32 AM
UNI
SHSU

Sycamore62
December 19th, 2013, 11:33 AM
EIU has a National Championship.....D2.

Before you guys freak out on me, I know you were talking about FCS and I also know that if NDSU hadnt won the last 2 in FCS, their D2 wins would have been pointed out.

Also shouldn't be on the list anyway.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 19th, 2013, 11:38 AM

Wofford should be on the list even with one coach. But your comment on the only SoCon team to break into GSU and ASU control of the SoCon from 1998 on is..................................well wrong:) maybe from 2007 on but not 1998

- - - Updated - - -

You are right and I should have known you would get there before me

Messed up the date ranges...1998 is too far back.

I certainly remember all of the epic battles of GSU and Furman of yore. What I mean is, from 2006 -2012 they are the only team not named GSU or App State to win a conference championship. They still haven't accomplished as much as Furman, but have certainly done well in their short time in the SoCon.

Bisonator
December 19th, 2013, 11:41 AM
You forgot probably the greatest "program" in the history of football.

UTC!

Oh wait their campus hosted the championship game for 14 years so that was like winning the title twice. I forgot about that, nevermind.xlolx

Missingnumber7
December 19th, 2013, 11:54 AM

Longest active playoff streak streak at 10, and current coach is 9-9 in playoffs. In 10 years this is the first appearance in the semi finals. Really...they should be much higher. Or show how crap some of the at large bids really are.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2013, 12:01 PM
UNH and UNI are the top two imo. McNeese would probably be #3. W&M, SHSU also come to mind..

Lehigh and Colgate should be on the short list. Both have made it to the title game and they each rank highly in terms of FCS wins and winning %.

Wallace
December 19th, 2013, 12:02 PM
don't forget App State was holding the record as the team that had made the playoffs the most without winning a national championship until their threepeat... so stuff happens

frozennorth
December 19th, 2013, 12:07 PM
cal poly? extended periods of success, but only under one coach at the fcs level. Beat EIU for a D2 title though.

GSUhooligan
December 19th, 2013, 12:13 PM
To make it a top 10, I'd add Jacksonville St. and Northern Arizona. They're always in (or close to getting in) the playoffs, but can't get over the hump.

BEAR
December 19th, 2013, 12:20 PM
ANY = at any level? NAIA, Division II etc?

If that's the case, then whew! xlolx

centennial
December 19th, 2013, 12:20 PM
1. UNI
2. SHSU
3. UNH
4. W&M
5. Wofford
6. Lehigh
7. Caly Poly

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 19th, 2013, 01:07 PM

8. Wofford - only SoCon team to really break into GSU and App State's control over the SoCon from 2006-2012. Not a lot of deep playoff runs but certainly has played tough against top playoff competition.

Flame away.

I think you need to re-check your resource material. I do believe UNH has more playoff appearances and more playoff wins than Maine does. Maybe even W&M. Ten straight years in the playoffs is better than anyone in FCS let alone the CAA.

This year was UNH's 12th appearance in the I-AA/FCS Playoffs, including twice in the 90's under former Coach Bill Bowes. He also guided UNH to two D-II playoff berths during the 70's, making the semi-finals in 1975.

Who took ownership of that spreadsheet that OL FU started or was the prior person to maintain?

CommishBigSmooth
December 19th, 2013, 01:51 PM
You forgot probably the greatest "program" in the history of football.

UTC!

Oh wait their campus hosted the championship game for 14 years so that was like winning the title twice. I forgot about that, nevermind.xlolx

This.

No list of this magnitude can exclude Chatty.

Or so I've read.

DoubleH
December 19th, 2013, 02:05 PM
As others have noted, the 2 possible additions that jumped to my mind were Lehigh and Furman. Otherwise a good list, I might juggle a few teams around but the right teams are in there.

Gil Dobie
December 19th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Ivy's and SWACsters like Harvard and Grambling, and they will never win one.

URMite
December 19th, 2013, 02:41 PM
As others have noted, the 2 possible additions that jumped to my mind were Lehigh and Furman. Otherwise a good list, I might juggle a few teams around but the right teams are in there.

I thought Furman had a title?

superman7515
December 19th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Ivy's and SWACsters like Harvard and Grambling, and they will never win one.

Grambling has 14 national championships, Harvard has 19. I think they're doing fine on their own.

Gil Dobie
December 19th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Grambling has 14 national championships, Harvard has 19. I think they're doing fine on their own.

Be nice if they participated in the FCS playoffs though.

OL FU
December 19th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Messed up the date ranges...1998 is too far back.

I certainly remember all of the epic battles of GSU and Furman of yore. What I mean is, from 2006 -2012 they are the only team not named GSU or App State to win a conference championship. They still haven't accomplished as much as Furman, but have certainly done well in their short time in the SoCon.

Thanks. Yes Wofford has been....................... a bother:)

eaglewraith
December 19th, 2013, 03:13 PM

Your team is purple.

Your opinion matters not xblehx

OL FU
December 19th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Your team is purple.

Your team is gone. Get the F out of herexlolx

Just kidding of coursexsmugx

OL FU
December 19th, 2013, 03:33 PM
I think you need to re-check your resource material. I do believe UNH has more playoff appearances and more playoff wins than Maine does. Maybe even W&M. Ten straight years in the playoffs is better than anyone in FCS let alone the CAA.

This year was UNH's 12th appearance in the I-AA/FCS Playoffs, including twice in the 90's under former Coach Bill Bowes. He also guided UNH to two D-II playoff berths during the 70's, making the semi-finals in 1975.

Who took ownership of that spreadsheet that OL FU started or was the prior person to maintain?

Mountaineer and he has improved it tremendously. I have lost any technological abilities on this board so if you want to post it. Let me know and I will send the latest version to you

Cocky
December 19th, 2013, 03:37 PM
To make it a top 10, I'd add Jacksonville St. and Northern Arizona. They're always in (or close to getting in) the playoffs, but can't get over the hump.
Up until this year, the only reason we were in the playoffs was the weakest of the OVC. Potential of programs we should be considered but performance in DI, No.

Pard4Life
December 19th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Your team is purple.

That's what we try to tell the Holy Cross people... except they have beaten us to the punch and realize that their program has not mattered since 1987.

Sader87
December 19th, 2013, 04:27 PM
That's what we try to tell the Holy Cross people... except they have beaten us to the punch and realize that their program has not mattered since 1991 (last team with scholarships until last year).

fify....actually I think HC, and all right, the other PL teams have the potential to be right back in the mix of national FCS powers with a full roster of scholarship players again.

Sammy94
December 19th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Be nice if they participated in the FCS playoffs though.

They wouldn't have any then and may make this list.

SFA 93
December 19th, 2013, 07:09 PM
If you are going by what Sam has done then you have to put SFA in the conversation.

Both joined the FCS Southland Conference (Div. I AA) in 1987

Sam Houston State (6 Trips) (2 Finals; 1 Semi-Final; 2 Second; 1 First)

2013 (2nd)
2012 (Finals)
2011 (Finals)
2004 (Semi-Finals)
2001 (2nd)
1991 (1st)

Stephen F. Austin State (6 Trips) (1 Final; 1 Semi-Final; 2 Second; 2 First)

2010 (1st)
2009 (2nd)
1995 (Semi-Finals)
1993 (1st)
1989 (Finals)
1988 (2nd)

Almost equal since joining FCS

The Ville
December 19th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Didn't SFA's Finals appearance in '89 have to be vacated?

FormerPokeCenter
December 19th, 2013, 10:24 PM
If you are going by what Sam has done then you have to put SFA in the conversation.

Both joined the FCS Southland Conference (Div. I AA) in 1987

2013 (2nd)
2012 (Finals)
2011 (Finals)
2004 (Semi-Finals)
2001 (2nd)
1991 (1st)

2010 (1st)
2009 (2nd)
1995 (Semi-Finals)
1993 (1st)
1989 (Finals)
1988 (2nd)

Not so fast....that was vacated if memory serves me correctly...

Go...gate
December 20th, 2013, 02:14 AM
UNH and UNI are the top two imo. McNeese would probably be #3. W&M, SHSU also come to mind..

Lehigh and Colgate should be on the short list. Both have made it to the title game and they each rank highly in terms of FCS wins and winning %.

Agreed.

Wallace
December 20th, 2013, 04:48 AM
I thought Furman had a title?

First Round (11/26): Site Attendance
Idaho 38, Montana 19 Moscow, Id 5,500
Northwestern St. 22, Boise St. 13 Boise, Id 10,537
Furman 21, Delaware 7 Greenville, Sc 7,487
Marshall 7, North Texas 0 Huntington, Wv 15,086
Ga. Southern 38, Citadel 20 Statesboro, Ga 11,011
Stephen F. Austin 24, Jackson St. 0 Nacogdoches, Tx 5,384
Western Ky. 35, Western Ill. 32 Macomb, Il 6,000
Eastern Ky. 28, Massachusetts 17 Richmond, Ky 4,600
Quarterfinals (12/3):
Idaho 38, Northwestern St. 30 Moscow, Id 6,800
Furman 13, Marshall 9 Huntington, Wv 16,820
Ga. Southern 27, Stephen F. Austin 6 Statesboro, Ga 12,289
Eastern Ky. 41, Western Ky. 24 Richmond, Ky 8,100
Semifinals (12/10):
Furman 38, Idaho 7 Greenville, Sc 11,645
Ga. Southern 21, Eastern Ky. 17 Statesboro, Ga 14,023
Championship (12/17):
Furman 17, Ga. Southern 12 Pocatello, Id 11,500

The Paladins were coached by Jimmy Satterfield. It was the first national championship for Furman.

JimLU
December 20th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Ah, did I miss something on the purpose of this thread? Any national football championship, ever?.... gets you on this list? If so, how is Lehigh on the list? John Whitehead lead Engineers 33, Jacksonville State 0 in Division II NCAA championship game in Wichita Falls Pioneer Bowl......12/10/77.... If this list is for "recent" champs, forget my post and I'll go back to sleep.......

Cocky
December 20th, 2013, 06:54 AM
If DII counts JSU has one.

UNIFanSince1983
December 20th, 2013, 07:51 AM
I am resigned to the fact that we will never win one. At this point I really am just hoping we get back in the playoffs after missing for 2 straight years for the first time since Dunbar was the coach.

MTfan4life
December 20th, 2013, 11:15 AM

Disagree just slightly. They are the epitome of average. Since 1980 they are 189-191, and have only once gotten past the first round of the playoffs. I'd slot a team like Northwestern State just ahead of them. Yes, they've been pretty average-to below average most of the time, but they've had some pretty decent seasons as well. They've reached the national semifinals, have a couple more playoff wins than NAU, and if not for having to travel to Missoula in half of their playoff appearances, they might have even more.

Nickels
December 20th, 2013, 11:34 AM
If we count D2 then we might as well count NAIA. SHSU won it in 64 (with a 7-7 tie xlolx). OFF THE LIST! xblehx

Tie in a NC game? WTF?

ASUMountaineer
December 20th, 2013, 12:00 PM
If we count D2 then we might as well count NAIA. SHSU won it in 64 (with a 7-7 tie xlolx). OFF THE LIST! xblehx

Tie in a NC game? WTF?

Soccer?

BISON Thunder
December 20th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Has any team from California won or played in the championship game at the D1AA/FCS level?

Sader87
December 20th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Has any team from California won or played in the championship game at the D1AA/FCS level?

No...EWU is the only West Coast school to be in a 1-AA/FCS championship game.

Tribal
December 20th, 2013, 01:17 PM
W&M has had the same coach for over 30 years so the "one coach" ding should apply to us, too.

We were FBS and finished the season ranked #8 in the country at one point...that's as good as beating Florida A&M for a 1-AA title, right?

Go...gate
December 21st, 2013, 10:17 PM
That's what we try to tell the Holy Cross people... except they have beaten us to the punch and realize that their program has not mattered since 1991 (last team with scholarships until last year).

fify....actually I think HC, and all right, the other PL teams have the potential to be right back in the mix of national FCS powers with a full roster of scholarship players again.

If Holy Cross can ever get back to recruiting the kind of players they were getting then, they will be in the thick of things every year.

People forget just how good HC was between 1982 and 1991, playing and winning against strong schedules each year.

JimLU
December 21st, 2013, 10:31 PM

Tie in a NC game? WTF?When Lehigh won D2 was the highest division with a champion..... So it should count....

appvette
December 21st, 2013, 10:45 PM
Why is it that all Lehigh posters are delirious? Every time I see a post from LU poster it makes me scratch my head.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 22nd, 2013, 12:16 AM
Why is SHSU being mentioned in this thread? It says TOP programs.

Big_Fan
December 22nd, 2013, 12:18 AM

Dunno... arguably our most talented team ever was stuck at home due to APR probation under Crowe in 2009. We had 3 losses - the normal Crowe-choke game against EIU, a game against FSU we should have one, and Georgia Tech. I think we would have made some noise in 2009 had we be eligible to. We finished the season ranked 3rd in scoring offense and 12th in scoring defense. Honestly, the 2009 team with Ryan Perriloux at QB had national champion level talent. We could have hung with 'Nova.

The 2010 team was very talented as evidenced by the win @ Ole Miss... but we had the "snatch loss from the jaws of victory" game against TTU, and a "what the?" game plan against Wofford. 2011/2012 talent dropped off...imo 2013 is probably as low ebb as talent has been in years (at least in terms of "superstars"), but coaching was a massive upgrade. The 2013 JSU team was a blue collar bunch...that is what enabled us to shake off the EIU debacle.

poly51
December 22nd, 2013, 01:24 AM
cal poly? extended periods of success, but only under one coach at the fcs level. Beat EIU for a D2 title though.

Cal Poly won the D2 title in 1980. The 1980 1AA/FCS national champ was Boise State. Cal Poly beat Boise State in 1980 23-20. Does that count?

Wallace
December 22nd, 2013, 02:11 AM
Among the top 50 GPI teams this year... these ones never won an FCS title:

E Illinois
SE Louisiana
Towson
S Dakota St
McNeese St
Maine
Northern Arizona
Coastal Carolina
Northern Iowa
Harvard
Fordham
Bethune-Cookman
Tennessee St
New Hampshire
Sam Houston St
Jacksonville St
Princeton
William & Mary
Old Dominion
Chattanooga
Missouri St
Illinois St
TN Martin
Samford
Cent Arkansas
Cal Poly
S Carolina St
Liberty
Southern Utah
Murray St
Stony Brook
Sacred Heart
Dartmouth
South Dakota
Lehigh
Charleston So
Portland St

Nickels
December 22nd, 2013, 02:13 AM
Yet EWU has never beaten SHSU.

dungeonjoe
December 22nd, 2013, 04:24 AM

...and in your rush to defend the honor of the purple, you forget about the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. I think the thread was listing teams without a title, by the way.

SFA 93
December 22nd, 2013, 04:48 PM

thank you!

Texas
December 22nd, 2013, 07:10 PM
thank you!
http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/24/50/24/5408005/3/960x595.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot8WmWZY_G4
Does he still make you cry at night?

pike51
December 23rd, 2013, 08:22 AM
Isn't it obvious? Chattanooga.

Oh wait, Chatty wins every year right?

SFA 93
December 23rd, 2013, 08:32 AM
It's not a knock on Sam, yes the last 3 years the bearkats have had great success but overall over the years not a TOP program

again...

Both SFA and Sam joined the FCS Southland Conference (Div. I AA) in 1987

2013 (2nd)
2012 (Finals)
2011 (Finals)
2004 (Semi-Finals)
2001 (2nd)
1991 (1st)

2010 (1st)
2009 (2nd)
1995 (Semi-Finals)
1993 (1st)
1989 (Finals)
1988 (2nd)

I don't consider SFA a TOP program either.

McNeese72
December 23rd, 2013, 08:53 AM
When this discussion comes up, the first team I think of is UNI. After that I don't know, but McNeese, with our past playoff history (not recently) has to be somewhere in the top 5.

Doc

SFA 93
December 23rd, 2013, 09:42 AM
McNeese State a ton of trips to the playoffs

2013 (1st)
2009 (1st)
2007 (1st)
2006 (1st)
2003 (1st)
2002 (Finals)
2001 (1st)
2000 (1st)
1998 (1st)
1997 (Finals)
1995 (Semi-Finals)
1994 (2nd)
1993 (2nd)
1992 (2nd)
1991 (1st)

Sam_Kats
December 23rd, 2013, 09:58 AM
Crabs in a bucket.

Texas
December 23rd, 2013, 10:14 AM
[COLOR=#000000]It's not a knock on Sam, yes the last 3 years the bearkats have had great success but overall over the years not a TOP program

As much as you and McNeese fans don't want to admit it SHSU will stay on the rise. Our AD is at least making sure we don't fall back into mediocrity again. That should have been apparent after Whitten was let go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

GoAgs72
December 23rd, 2013, 10:59 AM
Not FCS, but UC Davis held the record for most D2 playoff appearances at 18 - tied this year by Northwest Missouri State and North Alabama. UC Davis made it to the D2 Championship game against Southwest Texas State in 1982 with Ken O'Brien (later NY Jets) as QB but he was hurt in the semi-final game with NDSU and couldn't play in the final. Our best team ever in 2000 lost to Bloomsburg 48-58 in the semi-finals in the biggest melt-down in Aggie history. In both season we were undefeated until the final game. We never won the championship.

Mountaineer
December 23rd, 2013, 11:59 AM
Northern Iowa and McNeese State.

Checking OL FU's Best of Playoffs (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AvHJfK4_Pa8jdFZTcnRkTHNoMHRwLTdMUXl1bWdGb Wc&gid=1), Sam Houston, New Hampshire and William & Mary are the next three teams to have playoff success without winning the big one.

SFA 93
December 23rd, 2013, 12:45 PM
Where have I said Sam will not stay on the rise? Get past the rivalry with SFA for a second and look.

I agree in the last 3 years Sam has been on top and one of the best programs in the nation, no doubt if that is what you need to hear.

I'm just saying since 1987 when Sam joined the FCS ranks along with SFA the two programs have almost mirrored each other in playoff runs, that's all. Sam's run is just more recent, but this discussion if for the entire time your program has been in the FCS.

If Sam continues to roll in the future good for Sam and good for you.

SFA: 2010 SLC CHAMPIONS
SFA: 2009 SLC CHAMPIONS
SFA: 1999 SLC CHAMPIONS
SFA: 1989 SLC CHAMPIONS

PLAYOFFS: 2010 (1ST ROUND)
PLAYOFFS: 2009 (2ND ROUND)
PLAYOFFS: 1995 (SEMI-FINALS)
PLAYOFFS: 1993 (1ST ROUND)
PLAYOFFS: 1989 (FINALS)
PLAYOFFS: 1988 (2ND ROUND)

SHSU: 2012 SLC CHAMPIONS
SHSU: 2011 SLC CHAMPIONS
SHSU: 2004 SLC CHAMPIONS
SHSU: 2001 SLC CHAMPIONS

PLAYOFFS: 2013 (2ND ROUND)
PLAYOFFS: 2012 (FINALS)
PLAYOFFS: 2011 (FINALS)
PLAYOFFS: 2004 (SEMI-FINALS)
PLAYOFFS: 2001 (2ND ROUND)
PLAYOFFS: 1991 (1ST ROUND)

Tealblood
December 23rd, 2013, 01:24 PM
Hopefully CCU can win one before we make this list ;)

11 years of football
4 trips to the playoffs

dgtw
December 23rd, 2013, 03:26 PM

Two if you count years where they were the highest finisher among non-cheaters.

JimLU
December 23rd, 2013, 06:18 PM
Why is it that all Lehigh posters are delirious? Every time I see a post from LU poster it makes me scratch my head.
Merry Christmas to you too......

clenz
December 23rd, 2013, 07:41 PM
It's UNI and it's not close.

16 conference titles in 24 seasons of MVFC/Gateway play, 17 playoff appearances, a national title game appearance, multiple semi finals, multiple quarter finals.....and no ****ing titles.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 23rd, 2013, 07:50 PM

16 conference titles in 24 seasons of MVFC/Gateway play, 17 playoff appearances, a national title game appearance, multiple semi finals, multiple quarter finals.....and no ****ing titles.

Hey clenz....I really want to rub it in but that is some consistent play w/o a title....xthumbsupx No smack intended.

I agree, it is UNI and no one is close in this thread.

clenz
December 23rd, 2013, 07:57 PM
Hey clenz....I really want to rub it in but that is some consistent play w/o a title....xthumbsupx No smack intended.

I agree, it is UNI and no one is close in this thread.
Check the "gut wrenching loss" thread. You wouldn't belive a program could lose games in the way UNI does once or twice a decade...let alone multiple times a season in the worst possible games to do it.

Now you know why most UNI fans say "We have never won a title, and we realize we likely never will". It's not because we don't want a title, it's not because our players don't "want" a title, it's not because of anything other than UNI has literally lost a game every single way possible since 1985, in the most ****ed up ways, to keep the big one out of our trophy case....it's just not going to ****ing happen

However, if it does - Cedar Falls may drown every single resident in semen from UNI fans jizzing themselves repeatedly for a year straight out of excitement....and i'm probably not exaggerating by that much sadly.

Big_Fan
December 23rd, 2013, 08:25 PM
Two if you count years where they were the highest finisher among non-cheaters.

Yeah... we played Miss College in the regular season and beat them 21-3. We played them in the NC game and it snowed... we ran the wishbone and were sliding all over the field. They beat us 3-0. They were stripped of the title and had to forfeit, but the title was NOT awarded to anyone else... so technically there was no D2 champ in 1989 even though we finished 14-0.

Bison56
December 23rd, 2013, 08:46 PM

And you are a Viking fan? You must be a real miserable person during football season.xpeacex

TwinCitiesBison
December 23rd, 2013, 10:29 PM
Check the "gut wrenching loss" thread. You wouldn't belive a program could lose games in the way UNI does once or twice a decade...let alone multiple times a season in the worst possible games to do it.

Now you know why most UNI fans say "We have never won a title, and we realize we likely never will". It's not because we don't want a title, it's not because our players don't "want" a title, it's not because of anything other than UNI has literally lost a game every single way possible since 1985, in the most ****ed up ways, to keep the big one out of our trophy case....it's just not going to ****ing happen

However, if it does - Cedar Falls may drown every single resident in semen from UNI fans jizzing themselves repeatedly for a year straight out of excitement....and i'm probably not exaggerating by that much sadly.

Clenz, even with the newfound rivalry with my Bison and UNI, I had always previous considered UNI more of a basketball school...I'm just curious if an FCS championship would rival the basketball's Sweet 16 run in 2010? That was seriously crazy!!! Again, I'm not trying to talk smack...I'm honestly curious where the passion of Cedar Falls when it comes to UNI...

clenz
December 23rd, 2013, 10:33 PM
UNI is a basketball school, but it's as close to a football school as you'll find in the mvc.

A national title, after the **** we've watched the program go through, would mean as much to the core UNI fans the S16. To the rest of Iowa and "bandwagon/casual fans"the 16 will be top

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

TwinCitiesBison
December 23rd, 2013, 10:40 PM
UNI is a basketball school, but it's as close to a football school as you'll find in the mvc.

A national title, after the **** we've watched the program go through, would mean as much to the core UNI fans the S16. To the rest of Iowa and "bandwagon/casual fans"the 16 will be top

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Cool...always like to hear about other programs through fans who have lived through the highs and lows. You always have me cheering for you guys when you play those bastards down in Iowa City every year (U of MN grad). It will be a sad day when the Big Ten discontinues playing FCS programs.

JayJ79
December 23rd, 2013, 10:44 PM

well that is rather disturbing imagery

Vitojr130
December 23rd, 2013, 10:51 PM

Flame away.

xlolx Sorry clenz

caribbeanhen
December 24th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Cal Poly won the D2 title in 1980. The 1980 1AA/FCS national champ was Boise State. Cal Poly beat Boise State in 1980 23-20. Does that count?

nice trivia