PDA

View Full Version : FU and Citadel

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Furman up 17-0 in the 2nd. Jerome Felton has already punched in two.

Defense is playing lights out.

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Furman goes for an onside kick and recovers it. Furman's looking to shut the door on this one early.

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Furman driving to the Cit 15 after the onside kick.

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Cit has slowed down the Furman running game, but Sorrells is playing well in his first career start to lead the passing offense.

1st and goal on the 4.

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Felton with TD#3. Furman up 23-0 pending extra point.

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Point after went off the right upright. Score remains 23-0.

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Jerome Felton third touchdown. #19 on the season.

The Dude
October 14th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I like the way Sorrells has been playing so far. I was worried about this being his first college start, but he's put those fears to rest.

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Furman has lost a couple of guys to injury (center, couple of LBs). No idea of the severity.

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 02:20 PM
23-0 at half.

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2006, 02:23 PM
is that the record for FU rushing touchdowns?

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Citadel get an INT and drives for a TD.

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 02:53 PM
That was the first INT for a FU QB this year.

FUwolfpacker
October 14th, 2006, 02:58 PM
The record for rushing td's in a year is 19 by Louis Ivory. Felton tied that in less than 7 games :).

FUwolfpacker
October 14th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Citadel driving again. El Cid in the redzone.

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Citadel is driving again, down 23-7

FUwolfpacker
October 14th, 2006, 03:06 PM
FG for El Cid. 23-10 FU in the 3rd quarter.

OL FU
October 14th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I missed the first half, maybe I should quit listening to the second half.

I took the kids to Fall Down for Greenville and talked them into walking to the office to eat.

Have we fallen apart in the second half?

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Yes we have.

OL FU
Fourth and goal for Citadel going for it

FU97
4th and goal for the Bullpups....

OL FU
October 14th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Touchdown. Cit 8 minutes to go

FU97
TD Citadel.

FUwolfpacker
TD Citadel, 23-17 FU

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2006, 03:21 PM
man, what is going on?

OL FU
October 14th, 2006, 03:25 PM
man, what is going on?

Citadel has done a good job on the run game and the offense is moving the ball passing(surprise) in the second half.

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Furman punting from the 50 on 4th and 2 with a 23-17 lead

Rick C
October 14th, 2006, 03:28 PM
How much time is left?

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 03:29 PM
This missed extra point in the 2nd quarter is looming really large.

Under 4 minutes left.

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Furman finally gets a sack.

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 03:30 PM
3rd and 20+ for Citadel

FUwolfpacker
3rd and 20 for El Cid, pass is complete to the 40 yard line. 4th and 10 for El Cid

OL FU
2:22

Fourth down and ten for Cit

FU97
4th and about 8 on Cit 40

2:22 left

OL FU
Furman takes over

FUwolfpacker
October 14th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Less than 2 mins. to go, FU gets the ball on downs

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Furman takes over

FU almost had an INT. Probably a good thing he didn't catch it.

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Citadel has all 3 TOs.

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 03:32 PM
1:27 remaining.

FU Ball on the Cit 39. Cit has 2 TOs left.

2nd and about 8 or 9

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2006, 03:33 PM
holy snot I hate playing the Citadel. When do they not play us tough?

dungeonjoe
October 14th, 2006, 03:34 PM
2:22

Fourth down and ten for Cit

why aren't you at the game?

FU97
Citadel has absolutely stuffed our running game today.

OL FU
FU almost had an INT. Probably a good thing he didn't catch it.

I think you are right.

Hard not to catch it though

OL FU
October 14th, 2006, 03:35 PM
why aren't you at the game?

Kids did not want to go. We came downtown for Fall for Greenville and I talked them into eating at my office so I could listen to the last of the game.

I have got to get my kids some help:D

OL FU
October 14th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Furman punting with about one minute to go

FU97
1:15 left in the game. Furman to punt from about the Cit 39. Cit has 0 timeouts left.

FUwolfpacker
Citadel to get the ball back, no timeouts left though. Still down 23-17.

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Furman punting with about one minute to go

I'm terrified about this punt. We suck at special teams. We have a new punter in the game.

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 03:37 PM
We got it off and it went into the end zone.

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 03:38 PM
1:05 left

OL FU
second and 10 58 sec

FU97
2nd and 10 from the Cit 20.

OL FU
Third and 10 clock ticking

PaladinFan
A Beckler misses XP could be detrimental. Anyone hearing the ghosts of the JMU game?

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2006, 03:39 PM
COVER ROBERTS!

that's his 11th catch.

OL FU
out of bounds at FU 47 :mad:

OL FU
intercepted. Whew

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I love you Blocker, I love your dreadlocks, I love your hits. Thank you.

OL FU
I am going to put my kids up for adoption.

Any body want them

FU97
intercepted. Whew

Blocker's second of the game......

PaladinFan
Thankya Jesus. Din's win.

FUwolfpacker
Whew....we tried to give this one away, but looks like we're going to hold on. Got to hand it to El Cid, they fought hard the whole second half. Furman isn't a bad team, but we have no killer instinct. A W is a W though.

FU97
October 14th, 2006, 03:41 PM
game over.

dungeonjoe
October 14th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I am going to put my kids up for adoption.

Any body want them

Sure... I'll take them to the Beacon on a regular basis-- they will scream to go back to you!

OL FU
October 14th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Sure... I'll take them to the Beacon on a regular basis-- they will scream to go back to you!

I don't know the boy is a cheeseburger fanatic, he might go for the a-plenties

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Good to see Furman pull it out.

FUwolfpacker
October 14th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I don't know the boy is a cheeseburger fanatic, he might go for the a-plenties

The "a-plenties" are heart attack on a plate! I've never seen a pile of onion rings and fries that big! I enjoy it though, it's about a once a year trip though. More than that though and you're in touble:p

dungeonjoe
October 14th, 2006, 03:55 PM
The "a-plenties" are heart attack on a plate! I've never seen a pile of onion rings and fries that big! I enjoy it though, it's about a once a year trip though. More than that though and you're in touble:p
nothing like cleaning out the system a couple of times a year.

FUwolfpacker
October 14th, 2006, 03:57 PM
nothing like cleaning out the system a couple of times a year.

It may clean out your system, but Lord knows it will clog up your arteries:nod: .

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2006, 04:25 PM
CALLLLLL It!

FUwolfpacker
October 14th, 2006, 04:29 PM
CALLLLLL It!

xlolx :hurray:

OL FU
October 14th, 2006, 05:25 PM

I haven't had one in ten years and don't plan on it

I think the sandwiches are good but the onion rings quit being rings and started being onion clumps years ago

BULLDOG8180
October 14th, 2006, 06:28 PM
A game of two halfs. Just got home from the game. We did stuff Felton pretty much all day. Impressed with Sorrells ability to make plays on 3rd and 4th down. Congratulations to the purple people- but they new for sure we were there.

2 big interceptions from Blocker were huge, last two years it has been a Greenwood boy that helped beat us. We will getcha in Charleston next year!

FUwolfpacker
October 14th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I haven't had one in ten years and don't plan on it

I think the sandwiches are good but the onion rings quit being rings and started being onion clumps years ago

Very true. I never eat half of what's on an "a-plenty," so I just quit getting it.

citdog
October 14th, 2006, 07:40 PM
I don't think that anyone who was in Paladin Stadium today doubts the fact that The Citadel is catching up to 'Dins talent wise and that the future looks bright for the football playing members of The South Carolina Corps of Cadets.

matfu
October 14th, 2006, 08:05 PM
furman did not look very good. we are a better team with our starting qb, but sorrells did ok. if we had lost after being up 23-0 at half, i think it would have been our worst loss ever (other than the miracle on the mountain loss to app state in 2002). fortunately a win is a win is a win.

LarryBoy
October 14th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I don't think that anyone who was in Paladin Stadium today doubts the fact that The Citadel is catching up to 'Dins talent wise and that the future looks bright for the football playing members of The South Carolina Corps of Cadets.

I wasn't there, but I commend your guys for their effort, and am sorely disappointed at the lackthereof from our guys. But in the last two years, we haven't thrown a healthy first string quarterback (or a healthy O-line today) at you, and we still have come out on top. And you're 1-5. Don't take that as smack, I'm just saying. Does your program have potential? Absolutely, especially on the coaching end. Are you catching up to Furman? Well....nevermind. We'll see how things go in the next couple of years. But I would be surprised if that were true.

Good luck the rest of the year!

MarkCCU
October 14th, 2006, 09:09 PM
congrats. sounds like El CId showed some muscle and played well. Way to go Pallies!

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Citadel always plays us tough. Just the way of it.

Last year El Cid did a good job of game planning for Ingle Martin. This year they figured out how to slow down (I won't say stop, because he still found the zone 3 times) Felton but let a the Freshman Sorrells throw for 250+.

Without one of our best players and quarterback, I'll be happy to come out of any game with a win.

Sorrells and Webb are going to be a special tandem.

Death Dealer
October 14th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I was at the game. It was very one sided in the first half. We slayed them. The second half, we got cute and tried to just maintain our lead...El Cid took advantage of that and made three scores. But it wasn't enough against a defense that played nothing less than an inspired game today.
Several encouraging points:
1. Sorrells seemed to find some confidence in the pocket, and made some great throws despite good pressure from the Citadel.
2. Our pass coverage seemed to be much better today.
3. Beckler actually made a FG! :hurray: Of course, he missed a XP.:bang:
4. Gray was suited up on the sideline and Covington (pre-game show) said he was ready to play if they needed him to go in....responding well to treatment, and expected back soon.:hurray:

BULLDOG8180
October 14th, 2006, 11:09 PM
But in the last two years, we haven't thrown a healthy first string quarterback (or a healthy O-line today) at you, and we still have come out on top.

I beg to differ, last year you had a healthy 1st team QB, we were the ones that played the 3rd stringer. And if your 1st stringer last year wasn't yanked, ya'll would have lost the game.

LarryBoy
October 14th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Ingle played hurt for at least 2 quarters in that game. Just FYI.

FUwolfpacker
October 14th, 2006, 11:50 PM
LB is right. Ingle was pretty bad off after the first quarter. All the talk about last year doesn't matter though. El Cid played well with Knox, but FU won. It's over. Cidatel always plays us tough, and they stopped our run today. Got to give them credit for that. They held a team averaging 200 ypg to 88. Furman still won though, so I'll take it.

By the way, I think you guys still owe us a new horse bulldog:nod: . These close losses are just bad karma from messing with our horse years ago:)

fuEMO
October 15th, 2006, 12:27 AM

Citdog… first congrats on playing inspired you guys have a great coach and the program is looking up. But… I can't agree with about the Citadel catching up with Furman talent wise. If you do we're all in trouble. IMO the bright spot for the Paladins came from our young guys. This game was Sorrells first start, 20 -31, 250 yards not to bad. And the only thing that slowed down freshman RJ Webb was Furman. That kid is going to be special.

Some depth comparisons:
Take a look at the two deep for both teams. Citadel has youth but Furman is younger. Citadel has 8 seniors on 2 deep offense, 6 seniors on two deep defense.
Furman has 4 seniors on 2 deep offense, 3 on 2 deep defense. Furman played 10 freshmen, Citadel played 11. Furman played 11 sophomores, Citadel played 8.

Great win for the Paladins over a hated-rival. I still think at the moment this game means more to the Bellhops than the Paladins, but I think that will change.

OL FU
October 15th, 2006, 02:49 PM

'bout time:p

OL FU
October 15th, 2006, 02:52 PM
:rolleyes: The problem with saying that the Citadel is catching up with Furman is that Citadel plays two or four good games a year (and one of them happens to be Furman) Furman plays 12 to 13 good games a year.

That is not catching up.

However, I am looking forward to that day:nod:

AndrewFU21
October 15th, 2006, 04:30 PM
First of all, props to the Citadel coaching staff for coming up with an excellent game plan on defense for the second year in a row against us. I have not seen anyone stop Felton and our running game like that.

Second, Sorrells is going to be a fine QB here. Not having a running threat at that position forces us to really be predictable on offense, but Jordan made some very nice throws today. The line also did a solid job of protecting him until late in the game.

I hate how, whenever we have a big lead at halftime, we seem to completely turn off the gas. The players and coaches just didn't seem to have any life in them for the second half.

Lastly, I'm surprised nobody has brought up the occurance at the end of the first quarter, where they brought members of the 1978 SoCon championship team on the field to celebrate the goal line stand against the Bellhops that year. Clearly designed to shove it in the face of The Citadel, especially when on of the old guys taunted the Citadel side with the game ball:D .

BULLDOG8180
October 15th, 2006, 06:37 PM
First of all, props to the Citadel coaching staff for coming up with an excellent game plan on defense for the second year in a row against us. I have not seen anyone stop Felton and our running game like that.

Second, Sorrells is going to be a fine QB here. Not having a running threat at that position forces us to really be predictable on offense, but Jordan made some very nice throws today. The line also did a solid job of protecting him until late in the game.

I hate how, whenever we have a big lead at halftime, we seem to completely turn off the gas. The players and coaches just didn't seem to have any life in them for the second half.

Lastly, I'm surprised nobody has brought up the occurance at the end of the first quarter, where they brought members of the 1978 SoCon championship team on the field to celebrate the goal line stand against the Bellhops that year. Clearly designed to shove it in the face of The Citadel, especially when on of the old guys taunted the Citadel side with the game ball:D .

I played in that 1978 game and the 1979 game.
And yeah, I was a little bit upset, until I saw that it was Bruce Lancaster that was shoving the ball toward the Bulldogs. You have to remember, that was the only game he won against the Dogs. And of course if you know Bruce, which I do, you know that he had little to do with that victory.:D

And, also, watch your comment about those guys being old- cause if they are, then I am, but I'm not. :nono:

Death Dealer
October 15th, 2006, 10:01 PM
And, also, watch your comment about those guys being old- cause if they are, then I am, but I'm not. :nono:

Don't sweat it 8180. Only one way to stop getting older. I not signing up for that anytime soon! I assume you aren't either?:nod:

Millwoch
October 25th, 2006, 01:57 PM
There is no doubt that Citadel is increasing its talent level. Is it to FU's level? Only time will tell. But I can tell you that Higgins and staff work harder than any other Citadel coach I can remember in recruiting. Look at the stats and see who is contributing. Several true freshman are making huge impacts(Andre Roberts is 9th in receiving in SOCON, . And put a running back, Reggie Rice, in your memory bank, he is reshirting and will be a stud. We are still 2 classes away from competing top to bottom in SOCON, although next year has potential since we play Appy, FU, and Wofford at home.

Socon football should be more even from top to bottom next year (3 ot games last week alone) I like the way the league is heading. The talent level and coaching skills at Elon, Citadel, etc. are markedly improved from last year. App state is a a true power against any I-AA school this year and for years to come it appears. Furman will be a definate top 15 school (not sure they are good enough for the national title). GSU...well they have struggled early, but seem to be getting better weekly.

OL FU
October 25th, 2006, 02:20 PM
There is no doubt that Citadel is increasing its talent level. Is it to FU's level? Only time will tell. But I can tell you that Higgins and staff work harder than any other Citadel coach I can remember in recruiting. Look at the stats and see who is contributing. Several true freshman are making huge impacts(Andre Roberts is 9th in receiving in SOCON, . And put a running back, Reggie Rice, in your memory bank, he is reshirting and will be a stud. We are still 2 classes away from competing top to bottom in SOCON, although next year has potential since we play Appy, FU, and Wofford at home.

Socon football should be more even from top to bottom next year (3 ot games last week alone) I like the way the league is heading. The talent level and coaching skills at Elon, Citadel, etc. are markedly improved from last year. App state is a a true power against any I-AA school this year and for years to come it appears. Furman will be a definate top 15 school (not sure they are good enough for the national title). GSU...well they have struggled early, but seem to be getting better weekly.

In 2007, Furman should have the best shot at a NC since 2004. Everyone or 90% of everyone will be back from this year.

I will clarify my earlier smart a$$ posts. The comment was that the Citadel talent level had equaled the Paladins and my point is that cannot be based on one game, even a heads up one. A 2-5 team (even with two I-A losses) can't say they are equal to a 6-2 team.

Now that the clarification is over on the pre-season Sleepers and Dud thread, I picked the Citadel as a sleeper. I now believe I am a year early in that prediction. El Cid should be very good next year. :nod:

Millwoch
October 25th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Not bashing you there OL. With wins over GSU and elon and loss to appy the Citadel still finishes respectable in socon(4-3) this year(thus fullfulling your sleeper prophecy as we were picked to finish in the bottom 2 in SOCON). I am not bashing FU. Hell, I have no grounds to do that, we can't beat ya and you are always at the top of the conference. But Furman is not the only team with 90% returning next year. This week is big for you guys. A win puts you in the playoffs for sure. a loss and it could be close.(even though I think you get in, as the top 2 socon teams should always get in)

OL FU
October 25th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Not bashing you there OL. With wins over GSU and elon and loss to appy the Citadel still finishes respectable in socon(4-3) this year(thus fullfulling your sleeper prophecy as we were picked to finish in the bottom 2 in SOCON). I am not bashing FU. Hell, I have no grounds to do that, we can't beat ya and you are always at the top of the conference. But Furman is not the only team with 90% returning next year. This week is big for you guys. A win puts you in the playoffs for sure. a loss and it could be close.(even though I think you get in, as the top 2 socon teams should always get in)

didn't think you were.

It was a clarification of my previous remark to citdog.
Dog brings out the worst in me:D