PDA

View Full Version : New Bowl Seating coming to Monmouth University + Press Box!

Dave195
December 12th, 2013, 03:28 PM
http://blogs.app.com/hawks/2013/12/12/monmouth-announces-15-million-upgrade-to-kessler-field/

Go...gate
December 12th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Great news!!

jmrepak
December 12th, 2013, 03:40 PM
That's good news, but $15 mil is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on that little of an addition in seating and facilities. The metal bleachers better have seat warmers for that kind of price tag. Even the new MAC was ridiculously expensive for what it is. It's still a huge upgrade for you guys, but it just seems like Monmouth likes to overspend on their facilities.

Edit: Put it this way. For almost half of that Coastal built an entire Field House that contains all athletics offices, a large state of the art weight room, a new hall of fame, 1,600 seats a balcony area and large conference rooms including one that can be used as a second suite for games.
http://www.goccusports.com/facilities/adkins-fieldhouse.html

citdog
December 12th, 2013, 03:45 PM
That's good news, but $15 mil is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on that little of an addition in seating and facilities. The metal bleachers better have seat warmers for that kind of price tag. Even the new MAC was ridiculously expensive for what it is. It's still a huge upgrade for you guys, but it just seems like Monmouth likes to overspend on their facilities.

Think of all the payoffs that must be made to corrupt officials. The no show jobs for those gentlemen whose names include numerous vowels. etc etc

Bogus Megapardus
December 12th, 2013, 03:53 PM
That's good news, but $15 mil is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on that little of an addition in seating and facilities.

Not really - you get what you pay for. My understanding is that Monmouth has been planning this for a while and they're not "adding seating" so much as tearing down the whole facility and starting from scratch.

Bogus Megapardus
December 12th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Think of all the payoffs that must be made to corrupt officials. The no show jobs for those gentlemen whose names include numerous vowels. etc etc

It's not a government contract.

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2013, 03:55 PM
You are not familiar with the cost of construction in the Northeast. Welcome to New Jersey (NY, Connecticut, RI, Mass, etc).

jmrepak
December 12th, 2013, 04:06 PM
You are not familiar with the cost of construction in the Northeast. Welcome to New Jersey (NY, Connecticut, RI, Mass, etc).
Now it makes sense. I forgot Monmouth is in Jersey, so most of those jobs will require union labor. That could easily double the cost. Cost of materials shouldn't be much higher because they can be sourced anywhere (except for the bricks. The largest cost in block manufacturing is shipping). It's still crazy to think they are paying that much more for what seems like so little.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Nothing like smack from a future conference mate before the Hawks play a single Big South game...

Incidentally, in the Northeast we don't need no stinkin' seat warmers. ;)

citdog
December 12th, 2013, 04:12 PM
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/16/161484/2285958-sopranos_ledgerjpg_ffbdf654057bdab3_large.jpg

lionsrking2
December 12th, 2013, 04:12 PM

Edit: Put it this way. For almost half of that Coastal built an entire Field House that contains all athletics offices, a large state of the art weight room, a new hall of fame, 1,600 seats a balcony area and large conference rooms including one that can be used as a second suite for games.
http://www.goccusports.com/facilities/adkins-fieldhouse.html

Without seeing the plans, I don't think 15 million is ridiculous at all, especially considering typical construction costs in that region of the country. It cost us about 12 million total, in 2008, to build our parking garage and new press box/suite facility. My guess is if they were able to circumvent the bid process and get donated services, they may be able to do it for much less, but that's not the way it works a lot of places - unfortunately.

jmrepak
December 12th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Without seeing the plans, I don't think 15 million is ridiculous at all, especially considering typical construction costs in that region of the country. It cost us about 12 million total, in 2008, to build our parking garage and new press box/suite facility. My guess is if they were able to circumvent the bid process and get donated services, they may be able to do it for much less, but that's not the way it works a lot of places - unfortunately.
That would make sense though. The average cost to construct a parking garage is around $10,000 per space. You guys added 450 spaces in addition to your press box and stadium renovations. Plus, that was under construction during a time when construction materials were more expensive than ever before or have been since (was completed in 08 so under construction probably 06-07). The parking garage alone was probably 5 to 7 million of that with concrete and steel prices back then. Plus it has a brick veneer to match its surroundings which also makes it more expensive. My guess is the football facility changes were only 4 to 5 million of that.

danefan
December 12th, 2013, 06:07 PM
We'll compare to Albany....we just built a state of the art 8,500 seat facility for $18m. But of those seats, 4,500 are permanent. The rest are currently berm or temp bleachers that will be replaced by permanent seating in phase II.

Per also built all the infrastructure to hold he full blown 27,000 design. So $15m sounds right for a nice 4,000 seats stadium.

jmrepak
December 12th, 2013, 06:14 PM
We'll compare to Albany....we just built a state of the art 8,500 seat facility for $18m. But of those seats, 4,500 are permanent. The rest are currently berm or temp bleachers that will be replaced by permanent seating in phase II.

Per also built all the infrastructure to hold he full blown 27,000 design. So $15m sounds right for a nice 4,000 seats stadium.
i think the other guy was right too. It's probably a tear down rebuild, but 6 months to complete something like that is really fast.

UNHWildcat18
December 12th, 2013, 06:49 PM
I just don't understand why they didn't make the capacity larger, create a nice away side, i understand how they are making it bowl shaped, isn't there a track. Really just wish they had a rendering

Go...gate
December 12th, 2013, 07:45 PM

Not to mention the zoning and planning approval process in an affluent community such as West Long Branch, which was where Woodrow Wilson had a Presidential summer residence (which is now part of the MU campus).

Go...gate
December 12th, 2013, 07:47 PM
What will be the capacity of the new facility?

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2013, 07:49 PM
I just don't understand why they didn't make the capacity larger, create a nice away side, i understand how they are making it bowl shaped, isn't there a track. Really just wish they had a rendering

Simple, West Long Beach zoning. The town isn't going to let them build anything larger.

Good for MU, this sounds like it will be small, but classy. Wish CCSU could afford to invest $15 in a single athletic facility :(

Would a nicer facility like this make the Hawks more attractive to be an affiliate member in the PL for football only?

danefan
December 12th, 2013, 07:49 PM

i think it's the right move. The old bleachers weren't very nice.

aceinthehole
December 12th, 2013, 07:50 PM
What will be the capacity of the new facility?

4,000 - seems to be as big as WLB is willing to allow

Go...gate
December 12th, 2013, 07:55 PM
4,000 - seems to be as big as WLB is willing to allow

I am familiar with the West Long Branch land use boards. They are very political and very difficult. If you can get 4,000, take it and run. FWIW, Marist has a similar facility and it is an absolute jewel.

Go...gate
December 12th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Simple, West Long Beach zoning. The town isn't going to let them build anything larger.

Good for MU, this sounds like it will be small, but classy. Wish CCSU could afford to invest $15 in a single athletic facility :(

Would a nicer facility like this make the Hawks more attractive to be an affiliate member in the PL for football only?

Good question. They are certainly in the PL's geographic footprint.

hebmskebm
December 12th, 2013, 08:15 PM
A fully funded Monmouth could be very good. A lot of high school talent in New Jersey that currently goes out of state for lack of in-state options.

danefan
December 12th, 2013, 08:57 PM
I am familiar with the West Long Branch land use boards. They are very political and very difficult. If you can get 4,000, take it and run. FWIW, Marist has a similar facility and it is an absolute jewel.

I think marist is smaller though.

4,000 is probably good for Monmouth. They could alway bring temp bleachers in if they needed to, which seems unlikely.

Bogus Megapardus
December 12th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Will they keep the track in place? Seems to me you could do a lot more by relocating the track.

Bogus Megapardus
December 12th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I think marist is smaller though.

4,000 is probably good for Monmouth. They could always bring temp bleachers in if they needed to, which seems unlikely.

Marist sits in a bowl. The bank on the east side is terraced with concrete pads directly in the earth for expansion/visitor's seating. From what I understand, it doesn't "count" as official capacity for zoning purposes but it certainly gets used.It's a great design. But who knows what West Long Branch will allow?

Go...gate
December 12th, 2013, 11:10 PM
A fully funded Monmouth could be very good. A lot of high school talent in New Jersey that currently goes out of state for lack of in-state options.

Absolutely. A lot of NJ kids would have another FCS option.

Even if they don't play in the PL, I hope they play PL schools - always nice to have a good game within reasonable driving distance.

- - - Updated - - -

Marist sits in a bowl. The bank on the east side is terraced with concrete pads directly in the earth for expansion/visitor's seating. From what I understand, it doesn't "count" as official capacity for zoning purposes but it certainly gets used.It's a great design. But who knows what West Long Branch will allow?

Marist has a very nice ballpark, IMO.

TigerFen
December 13th, 2013, 05:57 AM
It's ashame that it can't be expandable to 8000 or so for a possible Patriot League joining, but maybe success will change the local land board views on the issue of a bigger stadium. I think it sounds like an excellent place they want to build and that is good for all of FCS.

danefan
December 13th, 2013, 06:02 AM
It's ashame that it can't be expandable to 8000 or so for a possible Patriot League joining, but maybe success will change the local land board views on the issue of a bigger stadium. I think it sounds like an excellent place they want to build and that is good for all of FCS.

Not sure the patriot league will care. No shot at the CAA with a 4,000 seat stadium though.

jmrepak
December 13th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm, but why would the Hawks want to go to the Patriot League when they are already coming to the Big South. The BS was a higher ranked conference by GPI this year, and should be even higher next year with the jettison of VMI. I could easily see the Big South being the 5th or 6th ranked conference next year

danefan
December 13th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm, but why would the Hawks want to go to the Patriot League when they are already coming to the Big South. The BS was a higher ranked conference by GPI this year, and should be even higher next year with the jettison of VMI. I could easily see the Big South being the 5th or 6th ranked conference next year

No one wants to join the Patriot league for its status as a football league. It's about associating your school with the highest quality academic institutions that also sponsor sports at the same committment level that you do and are regionally near you.

The Big South can't compete with the Patriot league in that regard to Monmouth.

Bogus Megapardus
December 13th, 2013, 06:43 AM
why would the Hawks want to go to the Patriot League when they are already coming to the Big South

They wouldn't. There has never been any indication that I'm aware of that Monmouth has ever made any overtures toward the Patriot League - even though its new president came from Lehigh.

jmrepak
December 13th, 2013, 06:44 AM
They wouldn't. There has never been any indication that I'm aware of that Monmouth has ever made any overtures toward the Patriot League - even though its new president came from Lehigh.
It was from a couple of the comments in the thread. Not from any rumors I've heard.

jmrepak
December 13th, 2013, 06:45 AM
No one wants to join the Patriot league for its status as a football league. It's about associating your school with the highest quality academic institutions that also sponsor sports at the same committment level that you do and are regionally near you.

The Big South can't compete with the Patriot league in that regard to Monmouth.
Okay. I'll buy that. The Patriot does have some top notch schools.

danefan
December 13th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Monmouth and the Patriot league make the "most" sense. Probably not enough sense to make it happen but it makes more sense then the Big South or the CAA.

A full scholarship NEC as an associate member is the best answer but we all know the NEC isn't interested in either of those options.

Bogus Megapardus
December 13th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Monmouth and the Patriot league make the "most" sense.

The AI is a non-starter. It don't make sense for Monmouth even to look into it unless they're willing to commit to the AI.

danefan
December 13th, 2013, 06:56 AM
The AI is a non-starter. It don't make sense for Monmouth even to look into it unless they're willing to commit to the AI.

Understood. I don't know at they're not willing.

DFW HOYA
December 13th, 2013, 07:42 AM

Um, someone did, and not for the reasons above.

Bogus Megapardus
December 13th, 2013, 07:47 AM
not for the reasons above.

It shows.

aceinthehole
December 13th, 2013, 07:49 AM

Bogus - I don't think that's correct. Tony Grahm, the former Asubry Park Press beat reporer for Monmouth had mentioned in print that the Hawks were interested in the PL. Now, I don't know how offical any of those discussions may have been, but as you point out the fromer Monmouth president was a Lehigh grad and was highly respected by his PL peers.

aceinthehole
December 13th, 2013, 07:54 AM

I think the biggest issue with the Big South is simple - geography and travel costs.

No doubt the Big South product is a quality one, and the opportunity to offer 63 schollys is just what Monmouth wants. But you'd be kidding yourself if you don't think the Hawks rather travel to play Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette, etc. in league games rather than bus down to Coastal, Liberty, G-W, etc. To say nothing about the academic prestige of the PL institutions.

Bottom line, like Stony Brook, the Big South is a temporary solution for Monmouth.

knucklehead
December 13th, 2013, 08:37 AM
I think the biggest issue with the Big South is simple - geography and travel costs.

No doubt the Big South product is a quality one, and the opportunity to offer 63 schollys is just what Monmouth wants. But you'd be kidding yourself if you don't think the Hawks rather travel to play Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette, etc. in league games rather than bus down to Coastal, Liberty, G-W, etc. To say nothing about the academic prestige of the PL institutions.

Bottom line, like Stony Brook, the Big South is a temporary solution for Monmouth.

I agree with this. That's why the BSC went on to add KSU as well.

Nova09
December 13th, 2013, 09:13 AM

Welcome to AGS, here are the rules:

1) If the PL people are talking, you don't get a voice.

2) If anyone is talking about something else, the PL people have the right to change the topic to PL matters; revert to (1)

Sader87
December 13th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Welcome to AGS, here are the rules:

1) If the PL people are talking, you don't get a voice.

2) If anyone is talking about something else, the PL people have the right to change the topic to PL matters; revert to (1)

Exactly, thank you for illuminating him or her.

Bill
December 13th, 2013, 10:10 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18671&stc=1

Bogus Megapardus
December 13th, 2013, 11:26 AM
`

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7399/2fzs.png

Sader87
December 13th, 2013, 11:33 AM
You left out MIT crew Bogey xrotatehx....

Bogus Megapardus
December 13th, 2013, 11:40 AM
You left out MIT crew Bogey xrotatehx....

"Full" members only in the graphic.

Go...gate
December 13th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Um, someone did, and not for the reasons above.

Somehow, someway, you guys have got to find a few more equivalencies, scholarships, whatever (not to mention a few more benches or folding chairs to put fannies at the MSF.

Georgetown in the PL is a great thing and a fully competitive Georgetown is even better.

Go...gate
December 13th, 2013, 12:09 PM
`

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7399/2fzs.png

We going to two divisons? If so, I've got a couple of suggested names - the Arthur Rothkopf Division, the George Langdon/Neil Grabois Division, the "We Coulda Been in the Big East" Division, the FIOS Division, the Soldiers Division, the Sailors Division....

Oh, yeah, and we have to get MIT in among those pennants....

Go...gate
December 13th, 2013, 12:11 PM
More seriously, VMI to the SoCon is a done deal?

DFW HOYA
December 13th, 2013, 12:16 PM

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/1974414-12/vmi-accepts-invitation-to-rejoin-southern-conference.html

hebmskebm
December 13th, 2013, 12:56 PM
I don't think Monmouth nor the Big South see Monmouth sticking around in the league for a long time. Right now it's a marriage of convenience for both. The Big South really needs 2-3 more teams to stabilize the conference. I know Jacksonville is building a bigger stadium and has long term plans to add scholarships. And Campbell is already in the conference for all other sports. A conference of CCU, CSU, Presby, Liberty (for now), G-W, Monmouth (for now), Kennesaw, Jacksonville, and Campbell would be really good for them.

citdog
December 13th, 2013, 01:29 PM

YES

Go...gate
December 13th, 2013, 06:00 PM
YES

A renewal of the "Military Classic of the South".

ngineer
December 14th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Construction in North Joysey at least 2x whatever same building down south. Glad to see the improvements. I know the U was having zoning issues with the neighborhood. I assume they were resolved.