PDA

View Full Version : David Ball AGS logo

HiHiYikas
October 13th, 2006, 02:56 PM
As soon as David Ball broke the D-I record for touchdown receptions, I started thinking about a way to commemorate the milestone with some special AGS artwork...

This isn't my best work, but I wanted folks to know that this kind of project has been on my mind. If I can find a higher-quality version of a photo to work from, I might re-do the picture more precisely.

Until then, enjoy, and congratulations to David Ball and UNH.

smallcollegefbfan
October 13th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Looks good! He is one of the best ever! I can't wait to see him in the pros tearing it up!

Best of luck to Ball!

Mr. C
October 13th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Kind of like the image of Jerry West on the official NBA logo

HiHiYikas
October 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM
FYI - I used Walter Payton as a model for the official AGS logo.

goasu984Life
October 13th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I like it. Very well done. I could never do anything like that.

AppGuy04
October 13th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I could never do that, awesome man!

Go...gate
October 13th, 2006, 04:22 PM
As soon as David Ball broke the D-I record for touchdown receptions, I started thinking about a way to commemorate the milestone with some special AGS artwork...

This isn't my best work, but I wanted folks to know that this kind of project has been on my mind. If I can find a higher-quality version of a photo to work from, I might re-do the picture more precisely.

Great job!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 13th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Since David has made many one handed catches during his UNH career and is know as much for his hands as other aspects of pass receiving, that is a very appropriate image!!!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

FUwolfpacker
October 13th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Amazing job Yikas!:hurray: :hurray: I wish I could do that kind of stuff!:nod:

GeauxColonels
October 13th, 2006, 06:12 PM
DEFINITELY a GREAT job!!!!!
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Tod
October 13th, 2006, 06:13 PM
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Very nice, HiHi!

LeopardFan04
October 13th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Nice!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

October 13th, 2006, 07:07 PM
As soon as David Ball broke the D-I record for touchdown receptions, I started thinking about a way to commemorate the milestone with some special AGS artwork....Now an avatar:

GeauxColonels
October 13th, 2006, 07:17 PM

What computer program do you use to design stuff like that?

Pauly LB
October 13th, 2006, 07:34 PM
In a post that was discussed a few months ago, there was some conversation regarding schools that do not have any division 1 football (either 1A or 1AA). Along with two very large schools in southern California (Cal State Fullerton and Cal State Long Beach), I brought up that the entire state of Vermont has not had any division 1A or 1AA football since they discontinued the program at University of Vermont in 1974 -- 32 short years ago.

David Ball went to Spaulding High School in Barre, Vermont. It is a shame that if you are a great football player in Vermont, that you have to leave the state.

The following article appeared in the Barre Times-Argus.

Congratulations to David Ball -- next stop the NFL (at least after the playoffs)...

Search Articles and Classifieds | Search Archives >>

Search Business Directory

David Ball catches TD record

September 24, 2006

By Pete Hartt Staff Writer

UNH senior David Ball leaps over Dartmouth cornerback Chris Blanco for his third touchdown of the game Saturday. The catch tied Ball with football legend Jerry Rice for the most touchdowns in a collegiate career.
Photo: Jeb Wallace-Brodeur/Times Argus

The perfect ending for a story about David Ball, one of the top wide receivers in the country and a former Spaulding High School football star, would take place in New York City this spring during the National Football League draft.

On Saturday, Ball tied legendary wide receiver Jerry Rice's college record for career receptions, and if NFL scouts take notice, the University of New Hampshire football star will likely be drafted. If so, he would become one of fewer than a handful of Vermonters ever to make the NFL.

Bob Yates of Montpelier played for the New England Patriots when they were called the Boston Patriots more than 30 years ago, and one of the top quarterbacks ever to play in Vermont, Rutland's Jake Eaton, is playing in the Arena Football League.

It might be more interesting to begin the David Ball story at the end, at the part where he makes the NFL roster, but, of course, we can't do that yet.

That's because we are only in the middle of his final season as one of the top receivers in the country, playing for the University of New Hampshire. Ball entered the season as a near lock to match the Division I-AA touchdown scoring record of NFL Hall of Famer Jerry Rice, set in his four seasons from 1981 to 1984 at Mississippi Valley State. Rice set a record of 50 touchdowns, one of 18 records he set during his college career.

Ball tied Rice with three touchdown catches against Dartmouth yesterday. In that game, Ball caught 12 passes for 179 yards. He will have a chance to break the record in the Wildcats' next game at Delaware this coming Saturday.

It's the anticipation of this remarkable achievement that has thrust Ball into the NFL draft discussion. But if his brief and successful sports career is any indication, his future is hard to predict. Ball has been surprising friends, fans and family for some time. Now he is even surprising himself.

"I don't think I knew until probably the end of last season that I could take football to the next level," Ball said, a few days before he made his third attempt of the season to beat Rice's record. "I was injured at the end of my sophomore season (in 2004), but as we reached the end of last season and were heading into the playoffs I went to coach (Chip) Kelly and said to him 'I am so ready for this. I'll do whatever you need me to do.'"

What he did was average nine catches, 146 yards and three touchdowns per game in those last three games, as UNH chased a Division I-AA national championship.

That's not bad for a three-sport athlete, whose main interest was basketball, and who came from a school football program that hasn't won a state championship in 46 years (and had a 14-21 record during Ball's career) in a state with an anemic football reputation.

After starring at Spaulding, Ball was prepared to try to carry on his athletic career at Division III Worcester State College. At the advice of the Karim brothers, he instead took a post-graduate year at Worcester Academy and used the fifth high school year in Massachusetts to try to attract more attention.

Even as he left Worcester Academy as the school's male athlete of the year, he still did not consider himself any more of a football player than a basketball player or track athlete.

But the success at Worcester gave him the confidence to go to the next level, he said.

"Throughout high school I thought I was good enough in all three sports to have my pick in all three sports," Ball said. "I didn't really become a football player until my second year in college. I still miss basketball a lot."

With a champion on the UNH coaching staff who liked his size, hands and jumping ability, Ball walked on at UNH with a chance to play his way into a scholarship and a spot on the track team as well.

The rest is history … in the making.

Early on Ball met his perfect complement in the Wildcats quarterback Santos, who is catching similar attention. Santos, who played his high school football in Massachusetts, has one year of eligibility remaining and will likely also have a chance to play in the NFL. Last season he finished second for player of the year in Division 1-AA. (Ball finished seventh).

Ball caught 38 passes as a freshman. He didn't become a football player, as he puts it, until he caught 86 passes for 17 touchdowns as a sophomore. He caught 24 more touchdown passes and the nation's eye as a junior.

Having garnered national attention, Ball is considering a football career beyond college. And though the notion is at odds with his team-first attitude, he is tackling it the only way he can, with a passion.

"Because this is still a little new to me I have a great passion for football," Ball said. "(The NFL) is always in the back of my mind, but I am so focused on being a college player, that's the important thing.

"There is a lot of preparation for the NFL, but I am playing like I have for the past three years. I've always been told that I am too slow, or too small or not athletic enough, but I knew there was a reason I was successful at every level."

Beyond Rice's touchdown record, other records, including a few also held by Rice, are in reach. He is five games behind Eric Kimble for most games with touchdown catches, five behind Rice for most 100-yard receiving performances and he needs slightly more than 800 yards to catch Rice for the all-time receiving yards record. Ball would happily pass up any of them for the national championship that the team fell one game short of playing in last year.

Along the way he may even reach one of his other final goals, a tough one considering his avowed disdain of ever being satisfied.

"I try my hardest to surround myself with people I can talk to, my parents, my friends and my girlfriend," Ball said. "I need to work on enjoying this a little more."

Peter Hartt is the Sports Editor of The Times Argus.

HiHiYikas
October 13th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Now an avatar:
Yeah, it looks a lot better at that size. Blown up too large, the "off-spots" are clearer.

I use a combination of Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop, GeauxColonels.

Besides having a pretty decent football team, Appalachian State also has a pretty good Graphic Arts Program.

psc2445
October 13th, 2006, 09:39 PM
swell!

blackfordpu
October 13th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Great job HiHi. Top knotch!:hurray:

October 14th, 2006, 03:26 AM
how about this crappy one...

Keeper
October 14th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Way cool.
Inspiring.
How about one for the Championship?

HiHiYikas
October 14th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Way cool.
Inspiring.
How about one for the Championship?
Yeah, I thought about that, too. I could see making one for both teams in the championship game.

The colors can be easily modified to match the teams in the championship game, or for something like Wofford month. And I could always update Walter to match a different team uniform. Of course, I'd prefer to make drawings of players on the teams being recognized. That's the time-consuming part.

I do enjoy it, though.

HiHiYikas
October 14th, 2006, 08:37 AM
and another...
UNI's purple is actually darker than that, to the point it's hard to see next to all that black.

HiHiYikas
October 14th, 2006, 08:38 AM
and for Wofford month...

I had a pretty good idea for a "custom player" to include with this logo, but this is David Ball's thread and I need to work on other things today...

maybe next week.

Ram Ball
October 14th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Great work!!!

GeauxColonels
October 14th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah, it looks a lot better at that size. Blown up too large, the "off-spots" are clearer.

I use a combination of Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop, GeauxColonels.

Besides having a pretty decent football team, Appalachian State also has a pretty good Graphic Arts Program.
Good to know! Thanks.