PDA

View Full Version : Tom Masella @ Rhody?

Brad82
December 10th, 2013, 05:43 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Masella

Is one of 4 finalists at Rhody.
He did good job at Wagner and CCSU.

Not so much at other places.
What is verdict amongst AGS followers who know him?

Bogus Megapardus
December 10th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Just my xtwocentsx but Masella is not what Rhody needs. His years at Fordham were pretty undistinguished.

FordhamFan
December 10th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Yuck. Dude mailed it in here in the Bronx. That being said, he did have some success here, and recruited a lot of the guys that this year's team relied on, so maybe he'll be alright.

Brad82
December 10th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks men.
Fordham fan-by mailing it in-any specifics?

CFBfan
December 10th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Nice guy, good recruiter, not a good HC

Fordham
December 10th, 2013, 07:47 PM
I got to know him fairly well at Fordham. He is a very good guy. He recruits very well and also motivates well. His first few years he had some longtime assistants with him but a few of those left after the first 1-3 years and it definitely showed in the results.

Biggest knock IMO is an overall lack of discipline we saw here. He's a players coach and kids were motivated to play for him but we became a team who would consistently jump offsides at a crucial point or have an unnecessary roughness type penalty in a key spot. That part was maddening.

FordhamFan
December 10th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Thanks men.
Fordham fan-by mailing it in-any specifics?

Felt like the end of his run the kids just did not like or want to play for him. I know for a fact that was the case in the 1-10 season. But I didn't know he lost a bunch of assistants in those late years, so that could explain a lot.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 10th, 2013, 09:31 PM
I called Masella the tinkerer - he tinkered, and tinkered, with his team even after they had success, and by the end his tinkering was not having a positive effect.

He has to be given credit for getting both Jake Rodriquez and Carlton Koonce to Fordham, thus laying at least a part of the foundation for Moorhead's success now (though obviously not all of it). He also has the Skelton brothers on the plus side of the ledger, too. He probably took too much heat for for the 1-10 year and not enough credit for the good times (which includes a Patriot League championship, incidentally, that everyone forgets about).

CFBfan
December 11th, 2013, 06:35 AM
I called Masella the tinkerer - he tinkered, and tinkered, with his team even after they had success, and by the end his tinkering was not having a positive effect.

He has to be given credit for getting both Jake Rodriquez and Carlton Koonce to Fordham, thus laying at least a part of the foundation for Moorhead's success now (though obviously not all of it). He also has the Skelton brothers on the plus side of the ledger, too. He probably took too much heat for for the 1-10 year and not enough credit for the good times (which includes a Patriot League championship, incidentally, that everyone forgets about).

was he tinkering LFN or simply EFFORTING to make things better?!

danefan
December 11th, 2013, 07:47 AM
was he tinkering LFN or simply EFFORTING to make things better?!

Efforting with his tinker?

Franks Tanks
December 11th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Masella recruited some great players to Fordham, but didn't do a great job using the talent. He had a the highest drafted QB in PL history in Skelton, and had losing seasons.

RichH2
December 11th, 2013, 10:15 AM
TM a very nice guy and an excellent recruiter. He is not particularly adept game coach. He needs very good coordinators to run the team. with that he can be very successful as lonf as he doesn't muck with his staff

JimboCBA72
December 11th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I got to know Tom and followed the team closely during his time at Rose Hill. I don't think he was served well by his assistants. In particular his OC often left me scratching my head with his play calling. His long time assistant left after a few years to take a position with Columbia and there were rumors of a falling out between the two. Coincidentally enough, the offense was not the same after he left. Yes he did have John Skelton but as good as JS was for us, he couldn't do it on his own. I would have loved to have seen John throwing to the weapons we have now. To Tom's credit he was the one who pushed hard for schollies and he was not a bad recruiter as evidenced by the Jrs and Srs on this year's squad. In the end the immortal words of Bill Parcells can't be ignored...you are what your record says you are. He was 27-40 in his six years with just one winning season

jimbo65
December 11th, 2013, 12:58 PM

LFN, just for the record, C. Massela did not recruit John Skelton John was supposed to get a scollie to UTEP which morphed into a non-schollie preferred walk on. John's dad contacted Columbia for a visit. At the interview Columbia declined to offer. His dad then suggested while they were in NY, they visit Fordham. They literally drove over and asked to see someone in the fball department. Coach Masella deserves credit for seeing talent but not in this recruitment. I do not know what went wrong during the 1-10 season but I wish Coach the best. As an aside, he is a former NYFD member.

Reading this account, there is a reason why Columbia is as bad as they are in Fball.