PDA

View Full Version : The Year of the Rooster,...

Lapper
June 16th, 2005, 08:12 AM
...Chanticleer that is. Here's an interesting article from the Sun News discussing briefly the past 10 years of Coastal Carolina Univesity athletics and how this was the best year so far for our programs.

Season of Success for Chants (http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/sports/colleges/coastal_carolina_university/11878033.htm)

Ivytalk
June 16th, 2005, 09:08 AM
I can see the headline now when Coastal plays UD: "Roosters Boink Hens!"

OL FU
June 16th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Nice article.

Reminds of the old Virginia Slims ads. "You've come along way, baby."

GannonFan
June 16th, 2005, 12:26 PM
I can see the headline now when Coastal plays UD: "Roosters Boink Hens!"

Nah, the Blue Hen is a formidable cock fighting breed - the Chanticleers are just a weak French version (sorry, about the redundancy of "weak" and "French" in the previous sentence).

HensRock
June 16th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Yeah, You tell 'em GannonFan!
They can't beat OUR cocks!

rokamortis
June 16th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Nor would we want to

MR. CHICKEN
June 16th, 2005, 08:46 PM
YA'LL WANT DUH GRAMMY......GOTTA COME THROUGH NEWARK!.:nod:........AWK!

Lapper
June 18th, 2005, 05:10 PM
YA'LL WANT DUH GRAMMY......GOTTA COME THROUGH NEWARK!.:nod:........AWK!

We would love to, it just your band of tranny chickens won't schedule us :confused: . JMU and Appy State are the only top 25 teams that have the bells to play us. And don't worry about us getting a NC, it WILL come in due time. What other sports is Delawhere at least semi-good at?

th0m
June 18th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Wait, there are other sports than football? :D

eaglesrthe1
June 18th, 2005, 05:59 PM
We would love to, it just your band of tranny chickens won't schedule us :confused: . JMU and Appy State are the only top 25 teams that have the bells to play us. And don't worry about us getting a NC, it WILL come in due time. What other sports is Delawhere at least semi-good at?

They aren't doing it to show off their bells. They're doing it for the W.

The Gadfly
June 19th, 2005, 05:18 PM

Lapper, you forgot that we have GSU on our 2006 schedule. Hopefully they will still be top 25 when we play them. ;)

rthe1, so is that why you scheduled us? For the "easy" W. Be careful what you guys wish for. :cool:

The "Shonts" did real well this year in football ( suprised me we did that well w/ soph.s and jr.s), baseball, golf (w/freshmen & soph.s), soccer, and acquiring Buzz for our Basketball program! If you bats can't see that the Thundering Beach Chickens are on the rise, you need to go back to school and take a class in logic. We're on the rise people so you better wake up to this fact: WE WILL DOMINATE. Yes, that includes I-AA (zzzzz) football.

eaglesrthe1
June 19th, 2005, 07:18 PM
rthe1, so is that why you scheduled us? For the "easy" W. Be careful what you guys wish for. :cool:

It sure wasn't to "show off our bells". :rolleyes:

The Gadfly
June 20th, 2005, 11:08 AM
It sure wasn't to "show off our bells". :rolleyes:

We know, it "should" be an eeeeeasy win for the Eagles in 2006 ;) . Your athletic programs also had a pretty good run this year with football, baseball, golf, and I believe track :confused: . Good luck to y'all this season and we will see you soon :nod: .

Hansel
June 20th, 2005, 06:31 PM
NDSU was willing to play CCU, but the Chants opted for Mansfield...

rokamortis
June 20th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Correction - we opted for JMU instead :eek:

blukeys
June 20th, 2005, 07:36 PM
What other sports is Delawhere at least semi-good at?
This year Lacrosse was in the NCAA D-I national tournament. I believe this is the third time for the Lacrosse team in the tournament. Field Hockey was also in the 2004 NCAA D-I national tournament. Women's Basketball went to the NIT this year after beating nationally ranked Old Dominion twice. I don't recall seeing CCU in any of the above.

Men's Basketball has been to the NCAA tournament 4 times since 1993 and to the NIT once. I don't look for a return as long as a certain coach who played ball in Carolina stays with the Hens.

Delaware's baseball team has been to the NCAA College World series 3 times. Delaware sponsors 23 varsity sports. I know I have missed many of the other "semi good" teams but with 23 varsity sports it is hard to keep track of them all.

Hansel
June 20th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Correction - we opted for JMU instead :eek:
NDSU-CCU was supposedly going to be on 11/12... a date currently filled with Mansfield link (http://www.coastalfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=357&start=0)

rokamortis
June 20th, 2005, 09:34 PM
I'm familiar with your link - it was a joke. I don't know why that game didn't happen (it was always considered tentative anyway) - I think it may have been the return the trip. But with the first 5 weeks the way they are perhaps they wanted to give the guys a break during conference play?

Lapper
June 21st, 2005, 07:59 AM
We will see you in the play-offs... that is if the BCS of the I-AA will allow it. :rolleyes:

GannonFan
June 21st, 2005, 09:36 AM
We will see you in the play-offs... that is if the BCS of the I-AA will allow it. :rolleyes:

Or, more appropriately, if you drop the BS from your schedule and play a handful of decent teams. Oh, and not lose by double digits at home to a DII also-ran like Newberry. :eek:

rokamortis
June 21st, 2005, 09:40 AM
So you are saying that JMU, App State, and SC State are BS teams?

And I'm sure that Delaware has never lost to an inferior team before. To correct you, that loss was on the road.

blukeys
June 21st, 2005, 10:34 AM
And I'm sure that Delaware has never lost to an inferior team before.
Of Course they have and those losses have frequently kept UD out of the playoffs. However, we don't spend the next 7 months picking on the NCAA when we needed to take care of our business to get into the playoffs. Your lame loss to a D-2 team was totally under your team's control and took you out of any consideration for a playoff spot. No one on the NCAA selection committee was on the field that day.

rokamortis
June 21st, 2005, 10:39 AM
Hey BK - I think I can understand where you are coming from. I think Lapper and Gadfly just like to stir it up. If I remember correctly, they both have admitted that we didn't 'deserve' to be in the playoffs, but would have liked to have seen us in there. I fall into that same category and I know that most CCU fans feel that way.

Hell, if we would have beaten Newberry I doubt we would have gotten in - so it is all a moot point anyway. If we succeed against better teams then we may have a shot this year - but I don't expect it.

blukeys
June 21st, 2005, 10:49 AM
Hey BK - I think I can understand where you are coming from. I think Lapper and Gadfly just like to stir it up.
Point taken.

Beat JMU and your chances look pretty good for the playoffs provided you take care of business in the Big South. Anything can happen as teams lose to "inferior teams" all the time. ;)

rokamortis
June 21st, 2005, 10:53 AM
Anything can happen as teams lose to "inferior teams" all the time. ;)

:eek: :( :( :eek:

touche ... but your point is valid. If we lose, then we were suppossed to. if we win then the world must be about to explode, so it is a huge test and hopefully we surprise some folks.

GannonFan
June 21st, 2005, 10:59 AM
If you take 2 out of 3 from the good part of your schedule, and don't get tripped up in the weak Big South, you won't be the only people thinking CCU should get into the playoffs. However, the Big South is a huge drain on you as it's really made up of last place castoffs from other conferences so you can't afford a loss in that grouping. As BK has said, UD's lost to plenty of teams over the years - but when we don't get into the playoffs we know we didn't deserve it. Playing the schedule CCU played last year, they didn't play enough teams to make them playoff worthy. This year they do but only a handful so there's no margin for error. As the Great West teams come into the playoff picture in a few years it will get harder and harder to make the playoffs - you need a good schedule and you need to win against the good schedule. So stop blaming the selection committee and win some big games (and don't lose the small ones either).

rokamortis
June 21st, 2005, 12:33 PM
GF - you are preaching to the choir buddy.

Hopefully this year we can get out there and have a respectable showing.

The Gadfly
June 21st, 2005, 01:18 PM
I never said we deserved to be in the playoffs last year??? The "Shonts" did surprise me last year by taking the "big" South last year with a bunch of sophmores and juniors. I'm just saying that our sports department, practically brand new to NCAA div.1, is doing an excellent job getting Coastal on the map.

As for Delaware going to the College World Series, they did go...IN 1970, and that was the ONLY time they've been. True, CCU has never been, but then again we haven't been playing baseball for 123 years. As for your other "sports": Lacrosse??? :lmao: Don't get me wrong, it's a neat little sport, but I don't believe that 1/8 of the colleges out there consider LACROSSE as a "major" sport in their athletic department. Hell, even soccer is ahead of lacrosse in popularity :rolleyes: . But congrats on your "accomplishments." Coastal does not have the 389 sports teams that UD has :eyebrow: (actually it's 22 men & women's teams; sorry, I couldn't count "rowing"), but we are very good at the ones that we do have. :twocents:

BBB
June 21st, 2005, 02:10 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

TheValleyRaider
June 21st, 2005, 04:53 PM
sorry, I couldn't count "rowing"

I guess you've never done it or known any rowers, have you?

The Gadfly
June 22nd, 2005, 11:51 AM
Jesus H Cristo, Raider! Yes I know how hard it is to row a boat, my point is not that it is a "sport" or not. My point is that Delawhere considers womens rowing a major sport. My God, I'll give'em lacrosse, but I'm not giving them womens rowing :rolleyes: .

Go...gate
June 22nd, 2005, 11:53 AM
Nor any Lacrosse players?

Witter19
June 22nd, 2005, 11:58 AM
I never said we deserved to be in the playoffs last year??? The "Shonts" did surprise me last year by taking the "big" South last year with a bunch of sophmores and juniors. I'm just saying that our sports department, practically brand new to NCAA div.1, is doing an excellent job getting Coastal on the map.

As for Delaware going to the College World Series, they did go...IN 1970, and that was the ONLY time they've been. True, CCU has never been, but then again we haven't been playing baseball for 123 years. As for your other "sports": Lacrosse??? :lmao: Don't get me wrong, it's a neat little sport, but I don't believe that 1/8 of the colleges out there consider LACROSSE as a "major" sport in their athletic department. Hell, even soccer is ahead of lacrosse in popularity :rolleyes: . But congrats on your "accomplishments." Coastal does not have the 389 sports teams that UD has :eyebrow: (actually it's 22 men & women's teams; sorry, I couldn't count "rowing"), but we are very good at the ones that we do have. :twocents:

My school doesn't have lacrosse, but I can tell you this much, lacrosse is much more popular than soccer at the schools where both are varsity programs...Geez even growing up in Virginia our High School Lacrosse games got tons more in attendance than our soccer games...

GannonFan
June 22nd, 2005, 12:00 PM
Jesus H Cristo, Raider! Yes I know how hard it is to row a boat, my point is not that it is a "sport" or not. My point is that Delawhere considers womens rowing a major sport. My God, I'll give'em lacrosse, but I'm not giving them womens rowing :rolleyes: .

I don't think anybody on this board here has called women's rowing a "major" sport, but it is an NCAA sanctioned sport and as such it gets listed in the number of sports. Regardless, football is where it's at and right now, you guys are still a very distant second when it comes to the rankings of teams named after poultry so relax, play a real schedule (you're getting there this year), win the big games, and come meet us in the playoffs. Till then, enjoy.

SoCon48
June 22nd, 2005, 12:04 PM
I'd love to see the attendance figures on those Virginia schools where LX beats soccer. The soccer programs must be anemic. That sure isn't the norm anywhere else.

Witter19
June 22nd, 2005, 12:18 PM
I'd love to see the attendance figures on those Virginia schools where LX beats soccer. The soccer programs must be anemic. That sure isn't the norm anywhere else.

Well, I live in Northern VA were lacrosse is extremely popular...I know from my class and the class before me, we have probably 5 players now in Div.1 lacrosse, and 0 soccer players as far as I know....

I'm just saying lacrosse is more popular then you may think...things are probably different further south...

OL FU
June 22nd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Well, I live in Northern VA were lacrosse is extremely popular...I know from my class and the class before me, we have probably 5 players now in Div.1 lacrosse, and 0 soccer players as far as I know....

I'm just saying lacrosse is more popular then you may think...things are probably different further south...

What's lacrosse? :confused: :D

HensRock
June 22nd, 2005, 01:03 PM
New York and Maryland are the traditional hotbeds for Lacrosse. It has spread to neighboring states and is starting to get popular in Califormia as well. In most of the country, lacrosse is virtually unknown. It has only become a HS varsity sport here in central PA in the last few years.

My son has recently caught the bug! It's an exciting sport to watch and very physically demanding. In men's lacrosse, checking is legal (so picture hockey on grass). The ball is solid, hard rubber - a little smaller, but heavier, than a baseball. College players can shoot at about 90 mph.

I had a friend who majored in sports education and training. She would work the football and lacrosse games, taping players up and helping to tend to their injuries. She says she's seen a lot of injuries in football, but it is nothing compared to the physical abuse routinely endured (and dished out) by lacrosse players.

Witter19
June 22nd, 2005, 01:54 PM
She says she's seen a lot of injuries in football, but it is nothing compared to the physical abuse routinely endured (and dished out) by lacrosse players.

When I played I routinely got contusions, worst one occured on my thumb, and also got tons of bruises...

SoCon48
June 22nd, 2005, 02:01 PM
Maybe lots of injuries in LaCrosse, but I would doubt seriously they compare to football. Runningbacks, QB's, receivers routinely hit by 300# linemen and 4.4 220# linebackers.
I was a trainer for years, and never saw a sport with as many broken legs, arms, collarbones, permanent knee injuries, spinal injuries, concussions, etc as in football.
Any comparison is way off. State high school athletic division records will bear that out.

Witter19
June 22nd, 2005, 02:17 PM
Maybe lots of injuries in LaCrosse, but I would doubt seriously they compare to football. Runningbacks, QB's, receivers routinely hit by 300# linemen and 4.4 220# linebackers.
I was a trainer for years, and never saw a sport with as many broken legs, arms, collarbones, permanent knee injuries, spinal injuries, concussions, etc as in football.
Any comparison is way off. State high school athletic division records will bear that out.

:nod:

SoCon48
June 23rd, 2005, 08:51 AM
"Routinely got contusions" "also got lots of brusies"

Just a little BTW, contusions and bruises are the same thing. Any soft tissue injury withut breaking the skin is a contusion or bruise.

I'd rather get a bruise from a stick than a 300 pound lineman. :)

Witter19
June 23rd, 2005, 10:49 AM
"Routinely got contusions" "also got lots of brusies"

Just a little BTW, contusions and bruises are the same thing. Any soft tissue injury withut breaking the skin is a contusion or bruise.

I'd rather get a bruise from a stick than a 300 pound lineman. :)

Contusions are worse than standard bruises, aren't they deep tissue injuries or something?

The Gadfly
June 27th, 2005, 11:41 AM
That's fine and dandy, but overall with the sports that CCU has (football, soccer, track & field, baseball, basketball, softball, golf, tennis, volleyball, and cross country) I don't think anyone can compare cumulatively. I don't know how we're doing it, but our athletic department is doing a superb job. :cool:

blukeys
June 27th, 2005, 04:22 PM
That's fine and dandy, but overall with the sports that CCU has (football, soccer, track & field, baseball, basketball, softball, golf, tennis, volleyball, and cross country) I don't think anyone can compare cumulatively. I don't know how we're doing it, but our athletic department is doing a superb job. :cool:

Yes those basketball teams getting knocked out ot the awesome Big South tournament in the quarter finals sure are an indication of the overall quality of CCU sports. :rolleyes:

Lapper
June 27th, 2005, 08:55 PM
You're absolutely right keys. What were you thinking Fly? Can't you see that there is no way that Buzz Peterson can turn a program like ours around...ooh what a minute. He hasn't even started season one here and he has already changed the program around by signing the best recruiting class we've seen in years. Plus he's getting a new arena in 2007. You transy chickens just sit back and bask in our glory. :cool: We don't mind.

The Gadfly
June 28th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Sorry Lapper... :( . I forgot how "horrible" our basketball program WAS. Our rise to glory should open up the I-AA world's eyes to how commited we are to our athletic programs. This means it's just a matter of time before we... well, just enjoy the show. :cool: