PDA

View Full Version : App State's new Josef Logo may be "worst update of 2013" according to design pros!

FormerPokeCenter
December 5th, 2013, 01:17 PM
LOL, a buddy of mine in the logo business posted a link to a group of stories about the new App State Logo...it's the considered opinion of design pros that the new logo may be the "worst of 2013"...

Well...that's one way to make people forget about Hot, Hot, Hot!

http://regator.com/p/262592826/is_this_the_worst_logo_update_of_2013/

saxbison
December 5th, 2013, 01:27 PM
That thing looks like it was drawn using MS Paint.

SpeedkingATL
December 5th, 2013, 01:27 PM
The "new" logo dates back to 1971-1978. Most App fans understand the history behind it which all of these sneering articles fail to even mention.

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2013, 01:28 PM
http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/30/602/full/6814_appalachian_st_mountaineers-alternate-2014.png

They're definitely not going with the modern look. On the bright side it'll be easy to silk screen.

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2013, 01:35 PM
The "new" logo dates back to 1971-1978. Most App fans understand the history behind it which all of these sneering articles fail to even mention.
There are certain things that are better off left in the 70s

http://blog.wholesalecostumeclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/70s-couple.jpg

Apps03
December 5th, 2013, 01:49 PM

Not to mention the fact it is a secondary logo. The block A is still the primary. This has to be the most talked about secondary logo in history.

AshevilleApp2
December 5th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Doesn't really matter what "design professionals" think, the App fan base likes it.

And Poke, it's Yosef, not Josef. C'mon man. :)

Hammerhead
December 5th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I think they really wanted to be in the SEC with the Simpsons-esque logo.

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/sec-simpsons-characters.jpg

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/30/602/full/6814_appalachian_st_mountaineers-alternate-2014.png

They're definitely not going with the modern look. On the bright side it'll be easy to silk screen.

Darlinikki150
December 5th, 2013, 02:04 PM
It looks pretty old school but not in a good way. Kinda like a kid drew it, but hey who am I to judge.

JSU02
December 5th, 2013, 02:10 PM
I suspect he has been drinking too much moonshine and is approaching fulminant hepatic failure as he appears quite jaundiced.

marenlee
December 5th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Modern day Hipster?

Skyhawk71
December 5th, 2013, 05:37 PM
I just want to state that I find the SEC Simpson's amusing...........but there is no way in hell the State guy should be wearing a suit....................

ThompsonThe
December 5th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Bringing back this logo is terrible.
Too many people tried for too many years to get rid of this piece of garbage.
Few App State fans that I know like it.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 5th, 2013, 06:19 PM

Yeah I agree people don't know the history and that is from back in the day. I like it as a sentimental type thing and so forth and think it great for that...throwback specialty type stuff.

I really, really can't believe it being repurposed for the going forward thing though. I really don't know if it's all that good for the standard everyday logo going forward but hey if it's popular and the fans want it then who am I to pick at it.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 5th, 2013, 06:21 PM

That's how I would feel if it were my team so it's confusing. Maybe the fans ain't all that jazzed about it.

DoWe
December 5th, 2013, 06:43 PM
I suspect the Appys are making money (that they desperately need) by merchandising it. Some of us should probably take note.

texcap
December 5th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Granted, I don't talk to tons of APP fans, but you are the only one that I know that has said anything bad about "Vintage Yosef." Most I know, myself included, are happy to see him come back. After all it sure beats the Gorton's fisherman "floating head" variety.

Skjellyfetti
December 5th, 2013, 07:22 PM
I suspect the Appys are making money (that they desperately need) by merchandising it. Some of us should probably take note.

That's exactly why it was brought back.

It was temporarily brought back for throwback uniforms and such... but, merchandise sales were so good they decided to keep it.

I like it. I understand why some don't... but, to each his own.

StorminASU
December 5th, 2013, 07:47 PM

I live in Boone, talk to fans about town, and read the interwebs almost daily about all things App. You're almost literally one of five fans (definitely under 10) that I've spoken to/read about that don't like the change. Everyone else is pretty stoked about it.

AppMan
December 5th, 2013, 11:10 PM

You must just hang with the few App State fans who don't like it because an overwhelming majority do. It's all well and good to express your opinion, but the misinformation you are spewing is the only piece of garbage here. The undeniable fact is this logo has been blowing away all others COMBINED in merchandise sales the past four years. That in itself renders your comments untrue.

Most of the unfavorable comments have come from younger urbanites. They see it as demeaning and too hillbillish. I suppose they feel App needs a more sophisticated logo. At the very heart of the discussion is the fact that logo was drawn to represent the people who settled the Blue Ridge Mountains around Boone. If someone can't accept the school's heritage that's their problem. Your statement about people trying to get rid of it for "too many years" is absolutely false. I've been around since the mid 70's and know the story intimately. In the late 70's a group of uppity, north east educated faculty, aka Yankees - sought to modernize the logo because THEY thought it portrayed the school in a negative light. They were successful in replacing our real person mascot with a big head costumed monstrosity who never spoke or interacted with people. They pushed it through saying it would be more "kid friendly". That bunch of politically correct police stripped Yosef of his long rifle, pipe and jug. Our mascot had been reduced to little more than a farmer. It could have been the Philly Phanatic for all they cared.

Thankfully the school never trademarked the old logo. Beginning in 2005 some alumni began reintroducing it. The popularity among older alumni was expected, but were shocked by how young alumni and students accepted it. It really gained traction once an internet company started selling merchandise with the image. Soon old Yosef was showing up everywhere. Several years ago the Student Yosef Club began using it on their t-shirts and our new baseball coach - NC State grad - started using it on uniforms and travel gear. The past two years the football team has worn it on an alternate uniform.

The school saw how much $ they were losing and decided to bring it back for just for a few years. They thought it was a passing fad and would quickly be over. They have been shocked by the merchandise sales. The vast majority of alumni and students are crazy about it and the university had the good sense to bring it back as a secondary logo. The Block A is still the primary logo.

Old Yosef's latest critic is - you guessed it - from New York City! The place that gave us the Davy Jones look alike, aka The Gorton's Fisherman, log we've suffered through the past 14 years. I find it awfully ironic someone from a huge city with no knowledge of the heritage or story behind the logo chooses to write a story slamming it. I could care less about what some big city expert thinks about our logo and to be totally honest I'm embarrassed some of our alumni and students are upset over the comments of a few internet talking heads.

citdog
December 6th, 2013, 02:00 AM
You must just hang with the few App State fans who don't like it because an overwhelming majority do. It's all well and good to express your opinion, but the misinformation you are spewing is the only piece of garbage here. The undeniable fact is this logo has been blowing away all others COMBINED in merchandise sales the past four years. That in itself renders your comments untrue.

Most of the unfavorable comments have come from younger urbanites. They see it as demeaning and too hillbillish. I suppose they feel App needs a more sophisticated logo. At the very heart of the discussion is the fact that logo was drawn to represent the people who settled the Blue Ridge Mountains around Boone. If someone can't accept the school's heritage that's their problem. Your statement about people trying to get rid of it for "too many years" is absolutely false. I've been around since the mid 70's and know the story intimately. In the late 70's a group of uppity, north east educated faculty, aka Yankees - sought to modernize the logo because THEY thought it portrayed the school in a negative light. They were successful in replacing our real person mascot with a big head costumed monstrosity who never spoke or interacted with people. They pushed it through saying it would be more "kid friendly". That bunch of politically correct police stripped Yosef of his long rifle, pipe and jug. Our mascot had been reduced to little more than a farmer. It could have been the Philly Phanatic for all they cared.

Thankfully the school never trademarked the old logo. Beginning in 2005 some alumni began reintroducing it. The popularity among older alumni was expected, but were shocked by how young alumni and students accepted it. It really gained traction once an internet company started selling merchandise with the image. Soon old Yosef was showing up everywhere. Several years ago the Student Yosef Club began using it on their t-shirts and our new baseball coach - NC State grad - started using it on uniforms and travel gear. The past two years the football team has worn it on an alternate uniform.

The school saw how much $ they were losing and decided to bring it back for just for a few years. They thought it was a passing fad and would quickly be over. They have been shocked by the merchandise sales. The vast majority of alumni and students are crazy about it and the university had the good sense to bring it back as a secondary logo. The Block A is still the primary logo.

Old Yosef's latest critic is - you guessed it - from New York City! The place that gave us the Davy Jones look alike, aka The Gorton's Fisherman, log we've suffered through the past 14 years. I find it awfully ironic someone from a huge city with no knowledge of the heritage or story behind the logo chooses to write a story slamming it. I could care less about what some big city expert thinks about our logo and to be totally honest I'm embarrassed some of our alumni and students are upset over the comments of a few internet talking heads.

How did we EVER lose a war to 'those people'?

Darlinikki150
December 6th, 2013, 02:28 AM
How did we EVER lose a war to 'those people'?

Well off the top of my head, at the battle of Gettysburg the Confederacy was 500 yards away from the Union depot, the spot where they held all extra ammo and the telegraph they were using, but your Confederate soldiers were disorientated because it was night time and turned back down the side of the hill. Just one huge tactical mistake made at that particular battle. See, I have been reading. :)

ASUMountaineer
December 6th, 2013, 07:39 AM

I guess those few people have deep pockets. xlolx

ASUMountaineer
December 6th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Yeah I agree people don't know the history and that is from back in the day. I like it as a sentimental type thing and so forth and think it great for that...throwback specialty type stuff.

I really, really can't believe it being repurposed for the going forward thing though. I really don't know if it's all that good for the standard everyday logo going forward but hey if it's popular and the fans want it then who am I to pick at it.

It's not, this is a secondary logo. Much like the paw print y'all have. This is basically the logo that is on the jug. It's much easier for these so-called "experts" to criticize based on assumptions, than to actually do any research. As AppMan said, I couldn't care less what some chick I've never heard of thinks about the logo. I own multiple clothing items with this logo (including a shirt from the 70's that I let my buddy wear to the Michigan game), several magnets with this logo, and a sticker of Vintage Yosef on my car. I support Vintage/Victory Yosef!

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/6331_631151216038_297546_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1469791_10100932782842798_513609555_n.jpg

ThompsonThe
December 7th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Do not care how some try to justify it. Ugly is ugly.