PDA

View Full Version : Who wiil be first upset in top 8 seeds?

katstrapper
December 1st, 2013, 05:13 PM
Who is your pick?

Twentysix
December 1st, 2013, 05:14 PM
EWU is my only seed not advancing.

Grizalltheway
December 1st, 2013, 05:18 PM
Maine or SELA.

Nickels
December 1st, 2013, 05:20 PM
SELA wont be first only because EWU plays earlier in the day.

maine612
December 1st, 2013, 05:21 PM
This is a duplicate and well covered thread....but despite my tendency to homerism, I think Maine has the toughest matchup and could easily lose.

Nickels
December 1st, 2013, 05:22 PM
This is a duplicate and well covered thread....but despite my tendency to homerism, I think Maine has the toughest matchup and could easily lose.
I'm hoping so. I would love to have another game at Bowers.

maine612
December 1st, 2013, 05:25 PM

I firmly believe Maine or New Hampshire plays at Fargo in the semi finals. Looking forward to see if I am right or ignominiously wrong.

Grizalltheway
December 1st, 2013, 05:25 PM

You and 400 others.

Nickels
December 1st, 2013, 05:34 PM
You and 400 others.
All 400 have thoroughly enjoyed the longest home winning streak in FCS. 21 now I believe. Your Griz being one of them. xcoffeex

lionsrking2
December 1st, 2013, 05:45 PM
I firmly believe Maine or New Hampshire plays at Fargo in the semi finals. Looking forward to see if I am right or ignominiously wrong.

I firmly believe that will not happen ... at least not in 2013.

maine612
December 1st, 2013, 05:47 PM
I firmly believe that will not happen ... at least not in 2013.

We can bet a virtual 6 pack and see what happens! The beauty of the tournament.

lionsrking2
December 1st, 2013, 05:49 PM
We can bet a virtual 6 pack and see what happens! The beauty of the tournament.

Yes we can, and yes it is.

Engineer86
December 1st, 2013, 06:21 PM
This thread raises a question. If both of the seeded teams in a bracket, how is the home team determined? Did they ask for bids already? That would take some forethought from the NCAA.

Sam_Kats
December 1st, 2013, 06:29 PM
Lower seed will always host. Unless I misunderstood the question.

Nickels
December 1st, 2013, 06:30 PM
This thread raises a question. If both of the seeded teams in a bracket, how is the home team determined? Did they ask for bids already? That would take some forethought from the NCAA.
I'm assuming you meant both seeds lose. I believe bids are placed on each round through the semis during the initial bidding.

hebmskebm
December 1st, 2013, 06:32 PM
Other than NDSU, I wouldn't be stunned by any of the seeds losing. Having said that, I think the only one that actually does lose is Maine.

Sam_Kats
December 1st, 2013, 06:32 PM
Ah - gotcha. Yes, Nickels is correct.

Grizalltheway
December 1st, 2013, 06:35 PM
All 400 have thoroughly enjoyed the longest home winning streak in FCS. 21 now I believe. Your Griz being one of them. xcoffeex

Well hopefully we can both get a playoff winning streak going and set up a play date in Missoula.xthumbsupx

lionsrking2
December 1st, 2013, 06:41 PM
Lower seed will always host. Unless I misunderstood the question.

Think you mean the highest seed hosts.

MTfan4life
December 1st, 2013, 06:54 PM
Who is your pick?

You should add a poll to this with all 8 selections.

SUPharmacist
December 1st, 2013, 07:34 PM
Think you mean the highest seed hosts.

Correct, but I think he meant low number seed ie 1<4 so 1 hosts. Damn definitions.

lionsrking2
December 1st, 2013, 07:47 PM
Correct, but I think he meant low number seed ie 1<4 so 1 hosts. Damn definitions.

That's what I'm assuming but you never know until you ask.

dgtw
December 1st, 2013, 08:33 PM
I always call the #1 seed the highest seed as they are highest on the list.

SUPharmacist
December 1st, 2013, 09:57 PM
I always call the #1 seed the highest seed as they are highest on the list.

Makes sense. As far as seeds, like many I think Maine is most vulnerable. Although I am really pulling for them, to get their revenge against UNH.

UMaineD
December 1st, 2013, 10:07 PM
No way Maine loses to UNH twice on one season and especially NOT in Maine

CommishBigSmooth
December 1st, 2013, 10:21 PM
Curious to see how good SELA really is. The Kats have a decent shot at an upset here of a seed, I'd say.

McNeese72
December 1st, 2013, 10:33 PM
Curious to see how good SELA really is. The Kats have a decent shot at an upset here of a seed, I'd say.

Having seen both of them in person, Sam Houston is good when healthy and SLU is very, very good. It will be a dogfight in Hammond........uh...........make that a catfight!!! :)

Doc

Catatonic
December 2nd, 2013, 03:58 AM
Maine or SELA.

This

Lehigh'98
December 2nd, 2013, 05:51 AM
I have this déjà vu kicking in. SHSU doesn't seem to lose in the playoffs (NDSU fan jump in not needed). I picked them to advance far in the playoffs.

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2013, 07:49 AM
After what happened in the first round, I would think it might be one or both of the Big Sky teams.

knucklehead
December 2nd, 2013, 08:27 AM
Maine or EWU

State Line Liquors
December 2nd, 2013, 08:31 AM
McNeese, SELA & Maine are the most vulnerable.

If it wasn't going to be 11 DEGREES(!) in Missoula this Saturday, I'd say Montana was vulnerable as well. But there ain't no way the guys from South Carolina (forecast in the 60s and 70s) are going to be ready for that kind of temperature.

katstrapper
December 2nd, 2013, 08:38 AM

The current home winning streak at Bowers now stands at 22

knucklehead
December 2nd, 2013, 09:06 AM
McNeese, SELA & Maine are the most vulnerable.

If it wasn't going to be 11 DEGREES(!) in Missoula this Saturday, I'd say Montana was vulnerable as well. But there ain't no way the guys from South Carolina (forecast in the 60s and 70s) are going to be ready for that kind of temperature.

Hopefully Mr. Moglia will have CCU well clothed for the weather. I heard a tale a few years back that while David Bennett was the coach, they went to Stony Brook in November with nothing but travel warm-ups.

TU Tiger Town
December 2nd, 2013, 11:44 AM
I'd guess Maine also, UNH has been on an impressive roll the last 2 weeks.

TigerFen
December 2nd, 2013, 01:07 PM
If any of the seeds loses in this round, I think it's SELA. They seem to be the most like Towson from two years ago. The first time in the playoffs and they're playing Sam Houston State that they just beat three weeks ago to get the Southland conference title. It's very hard for any team to beat a team twice in the same season and I don't see SELA doing it this week.

lionsrking2
December 2nd, 2013, 01:20 PM
If any of the seeds loses in this round, I think it's SELA. They seem to be the most like Towson from two years ago. The first time in the playoffs and they're playing Sam Houston State that they just beat three weeks ago to get the Southland conference title. It's very hard for any team to beat a team twice in the same season and I don't see SELA doing it this week.

I reckon we'll commence to sucking, now that we're in the playoffs. Wish you folks woulda told us sooner. We're doomed.:)

sharkeycox
December 2nd, 2013, 04:53 PM
I reckon we'll commence to sucking, now that we're in the playoffs. Wish you folks woulda told us sooner. We're doomed.:)

Yup, being in the SLC and not Sammy, we are just chopped liver. I don't think McNeese or SELA will score a point, It is a miracle that we won 10 games much less got a 1st round bye.

centennial
December 2nd, 2013, 04:57 PM
I still favor SELA in this match up. However, I watched the UCA game and the SUU game. SHSU looked like 2 different teams so I am not sure what to think, I think its going to be close and SELA will need to play well.

lionsrking2
December 2nd, 2013, 05:07 PM
I still favor SELA in this match up. However, I watched the UCA game and the SUU game. SHSU looked like 2 different teams so I am not sure what to think, I think its going to be close and SELA will need to play well.

I would add that UCA and SUU are two different teams as well ... UCA would beat half the teams in the field, at least.

centennial
December 2nd, 2013, 05:16 PM
I would add that UCA and SUU are two different teams as well ... UCA would beat half the teams in the field, at least.
Nice way of saying the Big Sky is weak. UCA looked much stronger than SUU. Maybe the Southland teams know how to deal with SHSU, Big Sky not as much.

Grizalltheway
December 2nd, 2013, 05:44 PM
Nice way of saying the Big Sky is weak. UCA looked much stronger than SUU. Maybe the Southland teams know how to deal with SHSU, Big Sky not as much.

Tough to prepare for that offense on only a week's notice, although they did a good job of it in the first quarter. Kind of the opposite of what happened when Montana played them.

robsnotes4u
December 2nd, 2013, 06:57 PM

smile. i have you playing EIU in the championship

matfu
December 2nd, 2013, 07:35 PM
I think NDSU will fall to Furman! It will take a few miracles but I think it will happen.

rokamortis
December 2nd, 2013, 07:54 PM
I think NDSU will fall to Furman! It will take a few miracles but I think it will happen.

Furman upset NDSU. Coastal upset Montana. Then get to move the playoffs back to SC.

centennial
December 2nd, 2013, 08:11 PM
Furman upset NDSU. Coastal upset Montana. Then get to move the playoffs back to SC.
Coastal is not an underdog in the computer rankings. They are rated higher in both massey and sagarin. Although I picked Montana it wouldn't surprise me if Coastal beat them. The biggest factor is their home record in playoffs. If this game was at Coastal I would have picked them.

Grizalltheway
December 2nd, 2013, 08:26 PM

Yikes, what alternate universe are you living in?

Big_Fan
December 2nd, 2013, 08:29 PM

...interesting comment...

a Gamecock fan got flamed for saying that there were OVC teams sitting at home who could beat somebody or other (can't find the thread).

You just said that a Southland team (UCA) that is sitting at home would beat half the teams in the field (at least). That Southland team LOST to an OVC team that is sitting at home. UT Martin's losses were to: Jax State, TSU, EIU, Memphis, and Boise State. Maybe the OVC should have had 4 teams in the playoffs lol.

Big_Fan
December 2nd, 2013, 08:30 PM
...and to add, UTM also beat Chatty @ Nooga.

lionsrking2
December 2nd, 2013, 09:15 PM
...interesting comment...

a Gamecock fan got flamed for saying that there were OVC teams sitting at home who could beat somebody or other (can't find the thread).

You just said that a Southland team (UCA) that is sitting at home would beat half the teams in the field (at least). That Southland team LOST to an OVC team that is sitting at home. UT Martin's losses were to: Jax State, TSU, EIU, Memphis, and Boise State. Maybe the OVC should have had 4 teams in the playoffs lol.

Yes I did say that and I stand by it, though admittedly should have used "could" instead of "would." The loss to UTM (and NW State) is the reason they're sitting at home and not still playing. UCA was decimated by injuries and really didn't get regrouped until midway through the conference season. They have depth issues due to the injuries but talent-wise, they're outstanding, one thru eleven, on both sides of the ball. They're not playoff team (don't deserve to be) because they didn't take care of business in a couple of games they should have won, but I have no doubt they could beat half the teams in the playoff field on a given Saturday ... they have quite a bit in common with Northern Iowa ... talented, dangerous football team, sitting at home due to injuries.

Big_Fan
December 3rd, 2013, 01:52 AM
Yes I did say that and I stand by it, though admittedly should have used "could" instead of "would." The loss to UTM (and NW State) is the reason they're sitting at home and not still playing. UCA was decimated by injuries and really didn't get regrouped until midway through the conference season. They have depth issues due to the injuries but talent-wise, they're outstanding, one thru eleven, on both sides of the ball. They're not playoff team (don't deserve to be) because they didn't take care of business in a couple of games they should have won, but I have no doubt they could beat half the teams in the playoff field on a given Saturday ... they have quite a bit in common with Northern Iowa ... talented, dangerous football team, sitting at home due to injuries.

Thats fine.

And if that is fine, it is fair to say the same about UTM (and probably Murray State)... and every team in the OVC (with the exception of Peay and SEMO) would beat a lot of teams in the field. They just didn't do what they had to do to make the playoffs. JSU was lucky to get in, but has proven they deserved to be.

lionsrking2
December 3rd, 2013, 10:22 AM
Thats fine.

And if that is fine, it is fair to say the same about UTM (and probably Murray State)... and every team in the OVC (with the exception of Peay and SEMO) would beat a lot of teams in the field. They just didn't do what they had to do to make the playoffs. JSU was lucky to get in, but has proven they deserved to be.

i wouldn't say the same because I don't think UTM or Murray is as talented as UCA. But I agree, none of them did enough to merit getting in.

Cocky
December 3rd, 2013, 12:44 PM
UTM has a good team and well coached

lionsrking2
December 3rd, 2013, 12:53 PM
UTM has a good team and well coached

They are, we played them last year...but they're not as talented as UCA. Talented enough to edge UCA at home in a trap environment, but I'd take the Bears to win 8 of 10 head to head... Even with all their injuries.

Missingnumber7
December 3rd, 2013, 12:57 PM
I think SELA loses, the lethal combination of it being hard to beat a team twice in a season and it being their first playoff game vs SHSU with tons of experience.

I also think that EWU/SDSU is much closer than EWU ever wants it to be but zenner put a ton of mileage on the tires last week and they fall just short in a track meet.

Big_Fan
December 3rd, 2013, 01:45 PM
They are, we played them last year...but they're not as talented as UCA. Talented enough to edge UCA at home in a trap environment, but I'd take the Bears to win 8 of 10 head to head... Even with all their injuries.

I think they are more talented than UCA.

Last season they beat your SELA team at home, and The University of Memphis on the road. They had 3 losses - one of which was Northern Ill.

UCA does a really good job considering how incredibly bad high school football is in Arkansas.

Redbirdz
December 3rd, 2013, 09:13 PM
McNeese

lionsrking2
December 3rd, 2013, 09:25 PM
I think they are more talented than UCA.

Last season they beat your SELA team at home, and The University of Memphis on the road. They had 3 losses - one of which was Northern Ill.

UCA does a really good job considering how incredibly bad high school football is in Arkansas.

I strongly disagree. We played a much better UTM team last year than the team they have now and we were still finding our way with a new staff ... UCA much more talented across the board.

steelr7
December 4th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Maine, but i don't know that it will happen.