PDA

View Full Version : What if

CoreyDavis
November 30th, 2013, 01:18 AM
What if the Ivy and SWAC both let their league champions go to the playoffs this year? Who would then be left out of the playoffs and what would the brackets look like ?

First round
Furman (7-5) at South Carolina State (9-3)
Bethune Cookman (10-2) at Coastal Carolina (10-2)
Lafayette (5-6) at Princeton (9-1)
Jackson State (8-3) at Sam Houston (8-4)
South Dakota State (8-4) at Northern Arizona (9-2)
Samford (8-4) at Jacksonville State (9-3)
Sacred Heart (10-2) at Fordham (11-1)
Tennessee State (9-3) at Butler (9-3)

Second Round
South Carolina St at #7 Towson (10-2)
Bethune Cookman at #6 McNeese State (10-2)
Princeton at #1 North Dakota State (11-0)
Sam Houston St at #3 Eastern Washington (10-2)
Northern Arizona at #8 Montana (10-2)
Jacksonville State at #4 Southeastern LA (10-2)
Fordham at #5 Maine (10-2)
Butler at #2 Eastern Illinois (11-1)

Quarterfinals
8. Montana at 1. North Dakota State (12-0)
5. Maine (11-2) at 4. Southeastern LA (10-2)
6. McNeese State (11-2) at 3. Eastern Washington (11-2)
7. Towson (11-2) at 2. Eastern Illinois (12-1)

Semifinals
4. Southeastern LA (11-2) at 1. North Dakota State (13-0)
3. Eastern Washington (12-2) at 2. Eastern Illinois (13-1)

Final
1. North Dakota State (14-0) over 3. Eastern Washington (13-2)

Twentysix
November 30th, 2013, 01:50 AM
No one cares, there are important games in a few hours :p.

This conversation was better suited for 6 days ago.

citdog
November 30th, 2013, 02:05 AM
http://i.qkme.me/3q32gg.jpg

gotts
November 30th, 2013, 02:49 AM
Playoff field would need to be expanded, right? Isn't there some guideline for NCAA tournaments that requires at least an equal amount of at large bids to the AQ's?

Twentysix
November 30th, 2013, 03:13 AM
I am pretty sure the Ivy already has one, but it is replaced with an at-large. That is why its 11 - 13.

Tim James
November 30th, 2013, 04:26 AM
The Ivy and SWAC champs would just replace the NEC and Pioneer champs since most people think they dont deserve a bid anyway.

tourguide
November 30th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Butler....really?

JSUBison
November 30th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Interesting bracket, but I'm pretty sure the committee would place 2 SWAC teams in.

clenz
November 30th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Interesting bracket, but I'm pretty sure the committee would place 2 SWAC teams in.

Ivy gets two fo sho, taking away the one al spot from the MVFC. The Swac gets two because a way is found to keep the MVFC champ out

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

JayJ79
November 30th, 2013, 09:30 PM
I am pretty sure the Ivy already has one, but it is replaced with an at-large. That is why its 11 - 13.
no, the Ivy doesn't have one. It is 11-13 because a 22-team bracket would be dumb.

Now if one of those conferences decided that it wanted to participate, I'm sure the NCAA would award them an AQ, and it would drop to 12-12. If both conferences decided they want to participate, I don't know what they'd do. Drop back to only having 6 seeds and having some weird 26 team bracket?

superman7515
November 30th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Playoff field would need to be expanded, right? Isn't there some guideline for NCAA tournaments that requires at least an equal amount of at large bids to the AQ's?

At least 1/2 of the field has to be at-large bids, so if the SWAC and Ivy started going to the playoffs, at least one more at-large team would have to be added to the tournament.

Lehigh'98
November 30th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Ivy gets two fo sho, taking away the one al spot from the MVFC. The Swac gets two because a way is found to keep the MVFC champ out

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Just eliminate the at larges and replace them with all MVFC teams. Lets stop kidding ourselves, no other conferences are worthy.

clenz
November 30th, 2013, 09:49 PM
no, the Ivy doesn't have one. It is 11-13 because a 22-team bracket would be dumb.

Now if one of those conferences decided that it wanted to participate, I'm sure the NCAA would award them an AQ, and it would drop to 12-12. If both conferences decided they want to participate, I don't know what they'd do. Drop back to only having 6 seeds and having some weird 26 team bracket?

The Ivy has onewhich makes it 12 each

The Ivy turns it down every year before the season thus the 11-13

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

SIUSalukiFan
November 30th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Just eliminate the at larges and replace them with all MVFC teams. Lets stop kidding ourselves, no other conferences are worthy.

Now we're talking!

I'm just joking, of course. xlolx

JayJ79
November 30th, 2013, 11:06 PM
The Ivy has onewhich makes it 12 each

The Ivy turns it down every year before the season thus the 11-13

I've never seen them listed on the AQ list in the football playoff handbook.
Plus that doesn't make sense with the former 16-team field (Ivy would have made it 9 AQs) or 20-team field (11 AQs with the Ivy)

Tribal
December 1st, 2013, 09:30 AM
I don't think the SWAC prohibits their teams from participating in the FCS playoffs, rather, SWAC teams reject the invitation(s).

superman7515
December 1st, 2013, 10:00 AM
Alabama State plays in the Turkey Day Classic on Thanksgiving, the Bayou Classic is held at the same time as the first round of the playoffs, and the SWAC Championship Game is held at the same time as the second round of the playoffs. So if 1) a second place team in the SWAC was ranked highly enough by the committee, and 2) that second place team wasn't Alabama State, Grambling State, or Southern, then they could particpate in the playoffs.

Engineer86
December 1st, 2013, 10:07 AM
At least 1/2 of the field has to be at-large bids, so if the SWAC and Ivy started going to the playoffs, at least one more at-large team would have to be added to the tournament.

If we are at 11 now and both SWAC and Ivy join, we get to 13, so they need 2 more for 26 don't they?

I agree with a post somewhere in the past week that whether it is 24 or 32 the first weekend as shown yesterday is for the most part a bye for the real playoff teams, a play-in for a few good teams that might make a nice run, and an extra game or two (depending on the matchup you get) for most of the teams playing on the first weekend

superman7515
December 1st, 2013, 10:14 AM
If we are at 11 now and both SWAC and Ivy join, we get to 13, so they need 2 more for 26 don't they?

I agree with a post somewhere in the past week that whether it is 24 or 32 the first weekend as shown yesterday is for the most part a bye for the real playoff teams, a play-in for a few good teams that might make a nice run, and an extra game or two (depending on the matchup you get) for most of the teams playing on the first weekend

Well they could just add two autobids and have it 13/13 without adding any more at-large bids. I have no idea what math I was thinking of last night, haha. Somehow I thought of a way to justify adding one, but now that I revisit it, they could ignore it altogether.

JayJ79
December 1st, 2013, 11:08 AM
a 26-team bracket would look much the same as the current 24 team bracket, except that instead of the 7 and 8 seeds getting byes, they would be part of the first round games. I'd say that they would drop back to only officially "seeding" the 6 teams who got the bye, but I think the NCAA also has a rule that at least 1/4 of the field has to be seeded, which would require at least 7 seeds. But who knows how they would handle it.
Here (http://www.printyourbrackets.com/pdfbrackets/26singleseeded.pdf) is what the bracket format would look like (except this has ALL teams "seeded", which wouldn't apply. but you get the general idea)

Of course, if you applied that scenario to this year's bracket, it would mean that Montana would get to host both a first and second round playoff game. Lots of money for the NCAA. haha.

All of this speculation is purely theoretical, though, since I don't see the SWAC getting rid of their Classics/etc.