PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Selection Committee "rule" changes

JayJ79
November 24th, 2013, 02:23 PM
1. no conference rematches in the first or second rounds (unless those two teams didn't play each other in the regular season, which of course would mean that it wasn't a "rematch")

2. if your "conference champion" doesn't have at least a .500 record overall, you forfeit your AQ

3. if none of your conference teams have won a playoff game in the past 10 years, your conference is out of the running for at-large bids

4. if the mechanics of your "rating system" tool aren't public knowledge at least halfway through the regular season, that tool should be thrown out.

5. conferences seeking an AQ must have at least seven qualifying members and a minimum of six qualifying conference games for each team.

I open the floor to debate on these proposals, and for any additional rules to be considered.

R.A.
November 24th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Lol... you all are such haters.

clenz
All completely legit

Engineer86
I can accept all of these. I do think Lafayette is a completely different team over the past five games but I accept the rule for the sake of consistency.

Engineer86
November 24th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Lol... you all are such haters.

Yea, wait a second, you guys are just hating on Lafayette! Stop hating.xlolx

JayJ79
November 24th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I can accept all of these. I do think Lafayette is a completely different team over the past five games but I accept the rule for the sake of consistency.

I'm normally a big defender of the AQ process. Upon further review, i think what really bugs me about the situation is the fact that the Patriot League only played 5 "conference games" this year, and that does not meet the NCAA minimum for automatic qualification as I understand it.

Engineer86
November 24th, 2013, 02:39 PM
I'm normally a big defender of the AQ process. Upon further review, i think what really bugs me about the situation is the fact that the Patriot League only played 5 "conference games" this year, and that does not meet the NCAA minimum for automatic qualification as I understand it.

I think it does. NCAA minimum is six teams, which would mean only five games. If Fordham was eligible, Lafayette still wins AQ at 5-1 based on head to head win. Lafayette winning the AQ really is an indication of them changing QBs aboud mid-season once they entered the league. They are not as bad as the record indicates. Great no, but better than 5-6 indicates and in my opinion, better than one playoff team.

Tubakat2014
November 24th, 2013, 02:43 PM
I agree with 1, 2, and 4, but let me add one-

5. All MVFC teams receive a spot in the playoffs

Not sure of any other way to make some people happy.

Bogus Megapardus
November 24th, 2013, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't let us in either.

cardiaccowboy
November 24th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I like all of them except #1. Seed the teams 1-24 and place the teams in the bracket according to their respective seed. Rematch conference nor distance restrictions should be a deciding factor of match ups

JayJ79
November 24th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I agree with 1, 2, and 4, but let me add one-

5. All MVFC teams receive a spot in the playoffs

Not sure of any other way to make some people happy.

nah, only the ones with at least 6 D-I wins. :p

bisonguy
November 24th, 2013, 04:07 PM
I like all of them except #1. Seed the teams 1-24 and place the teams in the bracket according to their respective seed. Rematch conference nor distance restrictions should be a deciding factor of match ups

I couldn't agree more. What's next, not allowing non-conf rematches in the 1st or 2nd round?

Seed them all and let them play.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Milktruck74
November 24th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I wouldn't disagree with any of them.

IBleedYellow
November 24th, 2013, 06:53 PM
When will everyone actually be happy?

Never.

Squealofthepig
November 24th, 2013, 06:57 PM
4. if the mechanics of your "rating system" tool aren't public knowledge at least halfway through the regular season, that tool should be thrown out.

Also, if that tool doesn't make any sense even when made public, it should be thrown out.

2 SHOULD be mostly moot, as we shouldn't see a situation like the SoCon again for some time. Regardless, conferences really should figure out a better way of making tiebreakers that ensure their best team gets their AQ spot.

DSUrocks07
November 24th, 2013, 06:58 PM

The NCAA makes billions in revenue every year, they can't afford to have teams travel for this "Division I Football Championship" that they are administering?