PDA

View Full Version : William & Mary in TMQ

SunCoastBlueHen
October 10th, 2006, 11:46 AM
A nice, amusing paragraph about W&M and the feather logo saga was in this week's TMQ article by Gregg Easterbrook...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/061010

NCAA Postpones Discussion of Literacy Rule to Spend More Time Objecting to Feathers: Often the NCAA looks the other way as big schools make only token attempts to educate D-I football and men's basketball scholarship athletes. But put a feather in your cap and you're asking for trouble! Recently the NCAA ruled that the feathers on the William & Mary athletic logo must be removed because they are offensive. We're not talking about disparaging caricatures of American Indians, which are indeed offensive; the William & Mary logo contains only images of feathers. Has the NCAA actually found one single person anywhere on Earth who claims to be offended by a drawing of feathers? Maybe birds were offended! Then again, the NCAA has a reason to want to get even with William & Mary: This academics-oriented college plays in Division I and graduates its athletes, thus creating uncomfortable comparisons for the NCAA's money-factory schools. In the most recent NCAA stats, William & Mary graduated 98 percent of its Division I-AA football players and 92 percent of its Division I men's basketball players. Hey sports studs, want to attend a major university without going to class? Chances are you will get away with it. But should you draw a feather, the wrath of Khan will descend upon you.

Freeze! NCAA Thought Police! Put your hands up and keep those feathers where we can see them!

Sly Fox
October 10th, 2006, 04:10 PM
The school apparently dropped their suit today according to the W&M board.

Tribe4SF
October 10th, 2006, 05:45 PM
No suit was filed. We decided not to pursue a legal remedy.