PDA

View Full Version : Looking at the new bracket -dizzy

Wallace
November 21st, 2013, 11:29 AM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1164&d=1385054378

it is (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/entry.php?281-Here-it-comes-FCS-SELECTION-SUNDAY) what it is...

TypicalTribe
November 21st, 2013, 11:43 AM
The simplicity and symmetry of the 16 team bracket wil be forever missed.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 21st, 2013, 11:49 AM
You watch. it will soon move to 32, just to even it out.

TypicalTribe
November 21st, 2013, 11:54 AM
You watch. it will soon move to 32, just to even it out.

No way. Division II has 16 conferences and DIII has like 30. They need a bigger field. FCS has little reason to expand.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2013, 12:12 PM
The only bracket I like is the one with "Lehigh" on it somewhere.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 21st, 2013, 12:14 PM
No way. Division II has 16 conferences and DIII has like 30. They need a bigger field. FCS has little reason to expand.

Maybe not but after realignment, they might need a bigger field.

centennial
November 21st, 2013, 12:28 PM
I actually like the idea of 32. No one gets a first round bye. Everyone who is worthy or is on a roll gets a chance, more Cinderella stories like the big dance.

Twentysix
November 21st, 2013, 12:30 PM
The only bracket I like is the one with "Lehigh" on it somewhere.

You could always start an FCS CIT.

Red & Black
November 21st, 2013, 12:33 PM
Looks pretty simple to me - 8 seeds, 4 play-in games. Not saying I liked it when they expanded past 16, but 24 makes more sense than 20 did.

Twentysix
November 21st, 2013, 12:36 PM
I actually like the idea of 32. No one gets a first round bye. Everyone who is worthy or is on a roll gets a chance, more Cinderella stories like the big dance.

Increase the playoffs to 32 teams, add 7 scholarships to the cap because of the extra games. 32 team playoff 70 scholarships.

lionsrking2
November 21st, 2013, 12:41 PM

I agree with this, though not likely to happen anytime soon.

Red & Black
November 21st, 2013, 12:41 PM
And how many of those 32 teams would actually have a shot at winning it all? How many of the 24 teams under this year's format do? Realistically, maybe 4 or 5, if that? There's very little reason to increase the length of the season. I'd much rather have 12 games in the regular season be the norm and keep the playoffs like they are now.

I'd be all about increasing the scholarship limit to 70 and ditching the FBS/FCS nomenclature once re-structuring happens (and it will). But whatever playoff format comes out of that, let's keep it at 24 teams, or go back to 16.

TypicalTribe
November 21st, 2013, 12:46 PM
And how many of those 32 teams would actually have a shot at winning it all? How many of the 24 teams under this year's format do? Realistically, maybe 4 or 5, if that? There's very little reason to increase the length of the season. I'd much rather have 12 games in the regular season be the norm and keep the playoffs like they are now.

I agree with this. it's easy to forget that the playoffs are supposed to determine a champion not be a reward for a decent season. It used to take a really good season to get an at-large but that is less and less the case now.

MSUBobcat
November 21st, 2013, 12:49 PM
Looks pretty simple to me - 8 seeds, 4 play-in games. Not saying I liked it when they expanded past 16, but 24 makes more sense than 20 did.

Agreed. But its 8 seeds, and 8 play-in games.

Red & Black
November 21st, 2013, 12:49 PM
I agree with this. it's easy to forget that the playoffs are supposed to determine a champion not be a reward for a decent season. It used to take a really good season to get an at-large but that is less and less the case now.

+1

Similar to what's happened with Bowl games in the FBS.

MSUBobcat
November 21st, 2013, 12:52 PM

Also agree. That's why I'm ok with the PFL and NEC getting bids. They aren't taking a spot from anyone who was going to win it all anyway.

centennial
November 21st, 2013, 12:52 PM
Increase the playoffs to 32 teams, add 7 scholarships to the cap because of the extra games. 32 team playoff 70 scholarships.
Never going to happen. A lot of FCS schools barely make the scholarships. FBS/BCS teams will not be happy, less walk ons. However, I do think if we could go to 70 or 74 scholarships the point of moving up gets diminished especially because FCS can divide the scholarships unlike FBS. The whining would be epic.

centennial
November 21st, 2013, 12:57 PM
The only teams that get more games are the top 8 teams, the bottom 8 get an extra(24-32). I think 32 is the right number because teams can get unlucky or have injuries and come back. Some teams can start the season slow and be on 5 game winning streak and still not make it. The season is not really becoming longer, the system is fair because the bottom 16 right now have to play an extra game and don't have that chance of recovery.

lionsrking2
November 21st, 2013, 01:36 PM

The playoffs should be about both ... the more teams in the hunt, the more interest in late season games, and the more interest in FCS in general. We should be trying to grow interest in FCS, not stifle it. The cream will almost always rise to the top, but along the way, there may be a Cinderella Story or two. Just my opinion.

Grizcountry420
November 21st, 2013, 01:55 PM
Great idea! Lets just water down these playoffs a little more...

xrolleyesx

Red & Black
November 21st, 2013, 01:58 PM
The only teams that get more games are the top 8 teams, the bottom 8 get an extra(24-32). I think 32 is the right number because teams can get unlucky or have injuries and come back. Some teams can start the season slow and be on 5 game winning streak and still not make it. The season is not really becoming longer, the system is fair because the bottom 16 right now have to play an extra game and don't have that chance of recovery.

There is plenty of opportunity for teams that have a bad start to make up ground with the playoffs the way they are now. In a 32-team format, it'd be a struggle to even find enough teams fill out the brackets, unless they start making it a practice of taking teams with only 6 Division I wins. No thanks, says I. Let's not water this thing down any more than it already is.

TennBison
November 21st, 2013, 02:00 PM
Easy way to fix that is to not be in the bottom 16, there you go problem solved. If only 4-5 teams have a realistic shot anyway then we should go to an 8 team playoff system(just to keep the bracket even). Anyone want to guess why it went from 16 to 20 to 24, MONEY, and possibly a bunch of crybabies because they were getting left out.

centennial
November 21st, 2013, 02:02 PM
That also gets us 8 additional media markets with coverage. More interest in the smaller schools. More administrations trying to bring up the level of football. 8 more schools with football fans that watch the playoffs just because their team played. Don't forget everyone likes the underdog, no one expected UNI to reach the sweet 16.

Darlinikki150
November 21st, 2013, 02:02 PM
With a 32 team bracket UNI certainly gets in, maybe at one point early they were a playoff team but not now. So why would a person want a middle of the road school getting in? How you play during the season has to count for something!? I mean where would cut the line? Cinderella stories are best left to college basketball, not college football. No more expansion.

clenz
November 21st, 2013, 02:04 PM
With a 32 team bracket UNI certainly gets in, maybe at one point early they were a playoff team but not now. So why would a person want a middle of the road school getting in? How you play during the season has to count for something!? I mean where would cut the line? Cinderella stories are best left to college basketball, not college football. No more expansion.
What's your obsession with UNI and the playoffs?

No one even brought UNI making the playoffs up....

clenz
November 21st, 2013, 02:06 PM
That also gets us 8 additional media markets with coverage. More interest in the smaller schools. More administrations trying to bring up the level of football. 8 more schools with football fans that watch the playoffs just because their team played. Don't forget everyone likes the underdog, no one expected UNI to reach the sweet 16.
There were a couple thousand brackets in the ESPN pool that had UNI beating Kansas that year.

That UNI team *should* have beaten Michigan State but there were some very questionable foul calls made that completely changed the direction of the game very early in the second half - UNI lead at halftime

That UNI team finished the season at #13 and had a record of 30-5

The only people that were complete blown away by that win were those that don't truly follow college basketball

Darlinikki150
November 21st, 2013, 02:06 PM
What's your obsession with UNI and the playoffs?

No one even brought UNI making the playoffs up....

Honestly I'm not sure this year. Usually I'm not such a hater, but somn bugs me about people advocating for them to get in. I think its Ridic. Its not personal Clenz, I find you to be a delight.

Grizcountry420
November 21st, 2013, 02:08 PM
No way should UNI get in.....

Darlinikki150
November 21st, 2013, 02:10 PM
No way should UNI get in.....

But with a 32 team bracket they certainly would. Thats my point, no more expansion.

clenz
November 21st, 2013, 02:12 PM
Yeah...that UNI team that was leading NDSU for 57 minutes, crushed a seeded McNeese State team, and dominated every aspect of a game against a B12 school in no way is even close to being deserving of being in the discussion for an at large change....

centennial
November 21st, 2013, 02:13 PM
There were a couple thousand brackets in the ESPN pool that had UNI beating Kansas that year.

That UNI team *should* have beaten Michigan State but there were some very questionable foul calls made that completely changed the direction of the game very early in the second half - UNI lead at halftime

That UNI team finished the season at #13 and had a record of 30-5

The only people that were complete blown away by that win were those that don't truly follow college basketball
Agreed UNI was a very good team that year. Everyone here just sounds like they are from the SEC and keeping FBS playoffs to 4 teams. The more people FCS can reach the better, so what if we have a few more blowouts? There will also be more upsets. The big dance is popular because there are 68 teams in it, not because the computers decided the best 16.

Grizcountry420
November 21st, 2013, 02:15 PM
But with a 32 team bracket they certainly would. Thats my point, no more expansion.

Yeah.. Watered down.

lionsrking2
November 21st, 2013, 02:17 PM

xrolleyesx

Doesn't water it down at all ... best teams are all in. If anything, it strengthens it.

Darlinikki150
November 21st, 2013, 02:19 PM
Yeah...that UNI team that was leading NDSU for 57 minutes, crushed a seeded McNeese State team, and dominated every aspect of a game against a B12 school in no way is even close to being deserving of being in the discussion for an at large change....

No you aren't. Your conference record is a disaster. IMO SUI or Lehigh should a chance before you. Now don't go all nuclear on me, its just what I feel. If the tables were turned I doubt you would be on board w NDSU making it in... we aren't gonna agree so I'm not gonna fight about it, its how I see it.

FargoBison
November 21st, 2013, 02:19 PM
A 32 team field would be a horrible idea. 24 is already too many, 20 was the perfect number.

Grizcountry420
November 21st, 2013, 02:20 PM
Doesn't water it down at all ... best teams are all in. If anything, it strengthens it.

How would it strengthen the playoffs? Most teams who make the playoffs lose money.. It dilutes the quality of play.

Darlinikki150
November 21st, 2013, 02:22 PM

Its a slippery slope, at some point you have to cut it off and stop. Otherwise its like a 5th grade tourney where ever team gets a chance And everyone gets a participation ribbon. Not every team is deserving of making the playoffs, period.

centennial
November 21st, 2013, 02:26 PM
No you aren't. Your conference record is a disaster. IMO SUI or Lehigh should a chance before you. Now don't go all nuclear on me, its just what I feel. If the tables were turned I doubt you would be on board w NDSU making it in... we aren't gonna agree so I'm not gonna fight about it, its how I see it.
I am saying this as a Bison fan, UNI would beat Lehigh even with their injuries. You can argue against 32 teams but put UNI on Lehigh's schedule they would be undefeated and would have blown everyone out. I don't know why you made this into a UNI discussion anyway.

dbackjon
November 21st, 2013, 02:27 PM

xrolleyesx

So if MSU beats UM, SUU beats NAU, and UM gets left out, is it still a watered down playoff?

Grizcountry420
November 21st, 2013, 02:29 PM
So if MSU beats UM, SUU beats NAU, and UM gets left out, is it still a watered down playoff?

Pfffffffff.... UM gets left out? Thats funny!

xeyebrowx

clenz
November 21st, 2013, 02:30 PM
I am saying this as a Bison fan, UNI would beat Lehigh even with their injuries. You can argue against 32 teams but put UNI on Lehigh's schedule they would be undefeated and would have blown everyone out. I don't know why you made this into a UNI discussion anyway.
This.

UNI is still top 15 in every single computer (ARGH WE HATE COMPUTERS) poll....

It took OT for SIU to beat a gimpy UNI team...if not for injuries and some questionable (not saying wrong because there are no replays available...although the PI call was flat wrong) UNI beats NDSU.

I'm not saying UNI *should* be in. It's going to take a lot of help for it to happen...but to say they don't belong in the discussion is just....well...

Darlinikki150
November 21st, 2013, 02:32 PM

It was an example to show how 32 teams is a bad idea. Is it really that hard to grasp? Pick another team that has UNIs record and honestly think if they should be included... while I Admit I kinda have it out for UNI my point is still valid. 32 is too many.

TypicalTribe
November 21st, 2013, 02:35 PM
Agreed UNI was a very good team that year. Everyone here just sounds like they are from the SEC and keeping FBS playoffs to 4 teams. The more people FCS can reach the better, so what if we have a few more blowouts? There will also be more upsets. The big dance is popular because there are 68 teams in it, not because the computers decided the best 16.

NCAA has 68 teams out of 351 that play college DI college basketball. That's a little less than 20%. FCS football has 126 teams and 24 playoff teams which is a little less than 20%. The percentages are eerily similar. And don't forget that the 126 includes 10 in the SWAC, 8 in the Ivy and GA So and App St. 24 out of 106 is even more inclusive. No reason to expand the field.

clenz
November 21st, 2013, 02:37 PM
It was an example to show how 32 teams is a bad idea. Is it really that hard to grasp? Pick another team that has UNIs record and honestly think if they should be included... while I Admit I kinda have it out for UNI my point is still valid. 32 is too many.
SDSU if they lose this Saturday is still a bubble team
SHSU is in contention for a seed and only have 6 D1 wins..
Montana State at 7-4 will be 7-5 with a loss and still in discussion
Youngstown State will be 8-4 if they lose to SDSU with a resume much worse than a 7-5 UNI team
UNH is only playing 11 games this year. They sit at 6-4 and are being talked about if they win this weekend
Same is being said for Delaware, William and Mary, and James Madison

Darlinikki150
November 21st, 2013, 02:38 PM

With all due respect this isn't about what if UNI played Lehigh's schedule. Its about cutting the line on playoff teams. And I'm staying stop now or you end up with teams that have no right playing. Didn't win the games they needed to, didn't have the SOS they should have. UNI is an example I used, I don't think they deserve to get in period. Its my opinion, is it right? Probably not according to you football gods here on AGS but its about expansion of teams not just specifically UNI. Perhaps I was bring to obtuse in my posts, hopefully I cleared it up for you boys.

clenz
November 21st, 2013, 02:40 PM
Didn't have the SOS?

W over an FBS
W in blow out fashion over a team fighting for a seed
Dominating wins in the other two OOC games
Only FCS team to even game NDSU a game
Didn't get to play Indiana State in conference like all of the other schools (the winless D1 Indiana State)

Darlinikki150
November 21st, 2013, 02:44 PM
SHSU is in contention for a bid and only have D1 wins..
Youngstown State will be 8-4 if they lose to SDSU with a resume much worse than a 7-5 UNI team
UNH is only playing 11 games this year. They sit at 6-4 and are being talked about if they win this weekend

Inho I could name 4 of those teams I think shouldn't make before the games this wkend, 2 more would go after the outcome of the games this wkend. In the effort to not start a **** show, I'm not gonna go further. Again, I'm advocating for no further expansion.

centennial
November 21st, 2013, 02:45 PM
SHSU is in contention for a bid and only have D1 wins..
I'll come out and say it. The autobids are unfair, especially after the top 6 conferences. A field of 32 allows teams from the power conferences that sit outside the bubble every year to make the field, also gives a chance to teams that were unable to prove themselves because of weak conference play or teams backing out on them or playing 2 FBS teams.

Darlinikki150
November 21st, 2013, 02:48 PM
Didn't have the SOS?

W over an FBS
W in blow out fashion over a team fighting for a seed
Dominating wins in the other two OOC games
Only FCS team to even game NDSU a game
Didn't get to play Indiana State in conference like all of the other schools (the winless D1 Indiana State)

Just stop it. You really do think I'm talking only of UNI don't you? I made the mistake of using UNI as an example, next time I will just use someone else for Christ sake. Get over it, for the last time any expansion of the tourney would be a mistake, period.

lionsrking2
November 21st, 2013, 02:50 PM
How would it strengthen the playoffs? Most teams who make the playoffs lose money.. It dilutes the quality of play.'

No it doesn't ... good teams are good teams and will do what they do, regardless. You may have more first round blowouts, but so what?! It strengthens the playoffs because you have more teams with something to play for, and more FCS fan interest late in the season. Plus it also keeps hope alive for good programs who suffer early season injuries in brutal (as in good) conferences. I don't think many would doubt that Northern Iowa is one of the top two or three teams in the country when healthy ... looks like they may be on the rebound, but may not get in.

I can understand financial logistics, and top 8 seeds not wanting to play the extra game, especially in 12 game seasons, but I don't get the "watered down" argument.

Walkon79
November 21st, 2013, 02:50 PM

Coverage Where? We would need a new contract with somone other than ESPN. We can't even watch all the first round games now, and don't give me the ESPN3 B.S.

SoupCity85
November 21st, 2013, 02:56 PM
I think it would work, but, with one major change. No automatic bids, the top 32 teams in the country are in. Now, how they get to that point not really sure right now, but that would allow the best 32 teams to fight it out.

dudeitsaid
November 21st, 2013, 05:06 PM
No automatic bids, the top 32 teams in the country are in.

Wow, that is an interesting thought. What would no automatic bids do the the FCS playoffs. Probably a discussion that merits it's own thread, but the drama that would create would be epic!

cardiaccowboy
November 21st, 2013, 05:09 PM
UNI is finishing the season strong. Now that they are getting healthier how many of you would be confident your team would beat UNI in the playoffs?

dbackjon
November 21st, 2013, 05:36 PM
Pfffffffff.... UM gets left out? Thats funny!

xeyebrowx

Go smoke another

CrunchGriz
November 21st, 2013, 05:39 PM
Just for reference sake, does anyone have the stats on the lowest seed (or, for that matter, a completely unseeded team) to win the I-AA/FCS championship? To take it a step further, what's the lowest ranked (or, if any, unranked) team to make it to the championship game?

In other words, how many of these Cinderella/Hoosier stories are anything more than apocryphal?

Darlinikki150
November 21st, 2013, 05:40 PM
UNI is finishing the season strong. Now that they are getting healthier how many of you would be confident your team would beat UNI in the playoffs?

Read the thread Cowboy. This isn't about UNI, I used them as an example. What's your take, wanna go to 32 teams? Do you think that will be fair enough for everyone? Or should we keep it at 24? That really what this thread is about, how big or small should the FCS playoffs be?

cardiaccowboy
November 21st, 2013, 05:59 PM
I honestly like that the top 8 seeds get a bye. It normally rewards teams for playing well throughout the entire season. The only way I would support the 32 team field is if it was a completely seeded field without the conference or distance restrictions

centennial
November 21st, 2013, 06:02 PM
Read the thread Cowboy. This isn't about UNI, I used them as an example. What's your take, wanna go to 32 teams? Do you think that will be fair enough for everyone? Or should we keep it at 24? That really what this thread is about, how big or small should the FCS playoffs be?

The talk of 32 is slightly off topic however we are still talking about the bracket so its relevant. Personally, if we get rid of the AQ I would be happy with 24. With 32 everyone is happy we get the best 25 + 6-7 teams that aren't that good. We wouldn't have to deal with the politics that comes with getting rid of the AQ. Weak conferences happy with AQ and power conferences happy that none of the deserving teams have to sit out.

FargoBison
November 21st, 2013, 06:16 PM
I think the 24 team format is ideal. It seeds more teams, it gives the top eight teams a real advantage by getting a bye week and having one less game on the road to Frisco.

I want nothing to do with a 32 team format. Just way too many games.

FordhamFan
November 21st, 2013, 06:47 PM
I think it would work, but, with one major change. No automatic bids, the top 32 teams in the country are in. Now, how they get to that point not really sure right now, but that would allow the best 32 teams to fight it out.

That's just ridiculous. It sounds nice in theory but it would be totally unfair to teams in lesser conferences. Not every team can play in the MVFC or Big Sky. Teams join conferences for a thousand reasons before they consider how it will look on their schedule in FCS football. You can't penalize them for that. The way things are now is as good as it can get for this level.

Can't do more games, it's football. Any more games and you're looking at an NFL season almost. Let's see how this new system works before we go against it.

skinny_uncle
November 21st, 2013, 08:53 PM
I'll come out and say it. The autobids are unfair, especially after the top 6 conferences. A field of 32 allows teams from the power conferences that sit outside the bubble every year to make the field, also gives a chance to teams that were unable to prove themselves because of weak conference play or teams backing out on them or playing 2 FBS teams.
This sounds too much like the argument put forth by BCS schools discussing Arch Madness when they want less at large bids going to "mid-majors". I'm real uncomfortable with it. The AQs keep conferences involved. Conferences rise and fall in regard to their strength over the years. Every conference wants a representative in the playoffs. Winning your conference should give you a shot, whether it is unrealistic or not.

JayJ79
November 21st, 2013, 09:19 PM

which is why certain people are vehemently against the notion of UNI getting at at-large.
they are scared.

As for the bracket size topic, I think that 32 would be too many given the current state of FCS. I like 24. As others have said, having 8 seeded teams is nice (so that at least theoretically, the top 8-ish are distributed about the bracket as they should be), and the byes give teams something extra to work for during the season. And there is nothing unfair about AQs. Getting rid of the AQs would be unfair, as the AQ system is what gives every team in the subdivision (except for those whose conferences elect not to participate) a chance to compete for the playoffs, instead of just the "power conferences".

putter
November 21st, 2013, 11:32 PM
The playoffs should be about both ... the more teams in the hunt, the more interest in late season games, and the more interest in FCS in general. We should be trying to grow interest in FCS, not stifle it. The cream will almost always rise to the top, but along the way, there may be a Cinderella Story or two. Just my opinion.

I agree with that. I dont want to water down the playoffs more but having the NEC and PFL get bids is OK with me. The more national interest and press the better for everyone.

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2013, 01:43 AM
A 32 team field would be a horrible idea. 24 is already too many, 20 was the perfect number.

Agreed, 32 teams is a horrible idea!!!!!
Disagree, "20 was the perfect number".
Actually 16 teams was plenty. If the NCAA insists on a larger field then the current 24 is a better option than the lopsided 20.
Though no matter what number they choose, there will always be complaints of team X should have made it in over team Y.

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2013, 01:57 AM
Just for reference sake, does anyone have the stats on the lowest seed (or, for that matter, a completely unseeded team) to win the I-AA/FCS championship? To take it a step further, what's the lowest ranked (or, if any, unranked) team to make it to the championship game?In other words, how many of these Cinderella/Hoosier stories are anything more than apocryphal?

I don't know the answer but can provide one example of Cinderella (there may be others). The year James Madison beat Montana for the championship (2004 or so?) JMU was an at large team. They had to play and win every game on the road that year. So while they were certainly "unseeded", I can't say what they were ranked prior to the playoffs starting. Regardless I consider that an amazing feat by their team.

TypicalTribe
November 22nd, 2013, 08:29 AM
I don't know the answer but can provide one example of Cinderella (there may be others). The year James Madison beat Montana for the championship (2004 or so?) JMU was an at large team. They had to play and win every game on the road that year. So while they were certainly "unseeded", I can't say what they were ranked prior to the playoffs starting. Regardless I consider that an amazing feat by their team.

JMU was 9-2 that year. Not exactly Cinderella in terms of record, but they did have nice road wins at Furman and William & Mary. The best Cinderella run I remember was Colgate getting to the final in 2003. The snow game against Western Illinois is still one of the more memorable playoff games in FCS history. Of course, the clock struck midnight against Delaware.

TypicalTribe
November 22nd, 2013, 08:53 AM
By the way, if you get rid of the AQs, it is no longer a playoff. At that point it is an invitational, just like the BCS 4 team "playoff". Every NCAA postseason tournament is made up of a combination of AQs and at-large bids, usually split about half and half. It's important for teams to know that they have a path to the postseason.

dewey
November 22nd, 2013, 10:59 AM

You have to admit the UNI team that beat Iowa State ,should have beaten NDSU and hammered Mcneese is a completely different team, injuries or not, than they have been the last about 6 weeks.

IMHO uni shouldn't even be considered for the playoffs as they have a losing conference record.

Dewey

JayJ79
November 22nd, 2013, 03:37 PM
IMHO uni shouldn't even be considered for the playoffs as they have a losing conference record.

Just like NDSU shouldn't have made the playoffs in 2010, right?

Red & Black
November 22nd, 2013, 03:46 PM

To be fair, they had a 4-4 conference record, but I think the point still stands.

Bisonoline
November 22nd, 2013, 03:54 PM

I dont care for that idea. Either you deserve to be there or you dont. Why have a bunch of also rans in a playoffs to say ---hey we made the playoffs? IMO it takes away from having to perform in the regular season.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
To be fair, they had a 4-4 conference record, but I think the point still stands.

agreed. a 3-5 conference record is not a playoff team.

dewey
November 22nd, 2013, 03:57 PM

For the record NDSU was 4-4 in the MVFC during 2010. Uni at best will finish 3-5 this season.

http://www.gobison.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=47&path=football

Dewey

Bisonoline
November 22nd, 2013, 03:59 PM

I was surprised that they made the field. But we didnt have a losing conference record and did have an FBS win.

JayJ79
November 22nd, 2013, 05:05 PM
I was surprised that they made the field. But we didnt have a losing conference record and did have an FBS win.

didn't have a winning conference record either. not much of a difference.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2013, 05:18 PM
I think 24 teams is a perfect number for the current composition of the subdivision. IMO, the playoffs are as much about generating excitement for FCS fan bases around the country as they are about crowning a champion (similar to, but on a much smaller scale, teams who make the NCAA men's basketball tournament but have no legitimate shot at a title). Therefore, what does it hurt to expand the field to 24 and let the bottom 16 play an extra game? Most years the top 8 are going to be the contenders and things are no different for them now than they were in a 16 team field. In fact, it favors them even more since now since all 8 are seeded thus guaranteed at least one home playoff game and they get the benefit of a bye that their opponent doesn't have.

In terms of UNI, I've come around on the idea that conference record shouldn't and doesn't matter. Why should a team that's 7-1 in conference and 7-5 overall be given any more consideration than a team that's 3-5 in conference and 7-5 overall if both have equal SOS and similar quality of wins? If UNI had lost to Iowa St and McNeese but beaten USD and Illinois St would they be any more of a playoff contender at 7-5 overall and 5-3 in conference than they are now? Of course not, in fact most logical fans would argue to the contrary. The biggest thing holding UNI back is their 5 losses overall, not necessarily that they're 5 losses in conference.

MSUBobcat
November 22nd, 2013, 07:59 PM
The talk of 32 is slightly off topic however we are still talking about the bracket so its relevant. Personally, if we get rid of the AQ I would be happy with 24. With 32 everyone is happy we get the best 25 + 6-7 teams that aren't that good. We wouldn't have to deal with the politics that comes with getting rid of the AQ. Weak conferences happy with AQ and power conferences happy that none of the deserving teams have to sit out.

You are delusional. In the last 10-12 years, no one outside the top 8 have won a NC. In addition, with only 11 AQ's, which 6-7 conferences send teams to the playoffs that wouldn't be in the top 24? Do you really think only 4-5 conferences would send a team to the 24 team playoffs? xcrazyx

clenz
November 23rd, 2013, 06:38 PM
Tell me again how SHSU is deserving of the playoffs...

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

LehighU11
November 23rd, 2013, 06:56 PM

I agree. I have no idea how they are going to get the 23rd and 24th. SHSU? A 2nd MEAC team (SCSU)? A 3rd SoCon? CSU or Liberty? With today's meltdowns by Chuck South, SHSU, UDel, and W&M, this has gotten really interesting.

centennial
November 23rd, 2013, 06:59 PM
Hate saying this as a NDSU fan but UNI deserves that spot more than SHSU.

jacksfan29
November 23rd, 2013, 07:00 PM

They don't. UNI's resume is much better. A

All the talk of UNI's conference record fails to mention that the playoffs have been expanded. I have a feeling UNI is going to be the 3rd MVFC team in. I think YSU stays home.

Mr. C
November 23rd, 2013, 07:09 PM
JMU was 9-2 that year. Not exactly Cinderella in terms of record, but they did have nice road wins at Furman and William & Mary. The best Cinderella run I remember was Colgate getting to the final in 2003. The snow game against Western Illinois is still one of the more memorable playoff games in FCS history. Of course, the clock struck midnight against Delaware.
JMU shared the A-10 title that year. Colgate was a top-four seed in 2003. Western Kentucky won the title in 2002 as a 13, or 14 seed (don't remember off the top of my head).

clenz
November 23rd, 2013, 07:11 PM
UNI
SDSU
YSU
Del
WM
Liberty
Lehigh
SHSU
CSU

Will be a very interesting bubble

clenz
November 23rd, 2013, 07:13 PM
They don't. UNI's resume is much better. A

All the talk of UNI's conference record fails to mention that the playoffs have been expanded. I have a feeling UNI is going to be the 3rd MVFC team in. I think YSU stays home.
This.

I'm amazed that people would look better on this 7-5 UNI team if UNI lost their FBS game instead of win and lost to seeded McNeese State instead of thrashing the **** out of them...and instead beat ISUr and USD....

clenz
November 23rd, 2013, 07:15 PM
FWIW

I don't think UNI gets in. There were a couple key games that UNI needed to go differently than they did