PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Picks - Week 13 (11/23)

mvemjsunpx
November 20th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Portland St. 28-45 EWU — There's damn little of a damn chance of a damn upset in the Dam Cup

Davis 31-28 Sac State — The Hornets should win this on paper, but that's always true in this lopsided rivalry

NAU 14-17 Suutah — These two teams are similar in a lot of ways, but SUU appears to need this game more

Idaho St. 33-41 Weber — Weber always beats Idaho State… AAALLLWWWAAAYYYSSSSS!!!

Montana 28-17 Montana St. — Who do the Bobcats think they are!? NAU!?

Cal Poly 28-14 NoCo — The rivalry leftovers…

dudeitsaid
November 21st, 2013, 12:18 AM
Portland St. 28-45 EWU — There's damn little of a damn chance of a damn upset in the Dam Cup

Davis 31-28 Sac State — The Hornets should win this on paper, but that's always true in this lopsided rivalry

NAU 14-17 Suutah — These two teams are similar in a lot of ways, but SUU appears to need this game more

Idaho St. 33-41 Weber — Weber always beats Idaho State… AAALLLWWWAAAYYYSSSSS!!!

Montana 28-17 Montana St. — Who do the Bobcats think they are!? NAU!?

Cal Poly 28-14 NoCo — The rivalry leftovers…

I hope the EWU game is that lopsided. I probably get a bit nervous about every game, but PSU is no pushover. They hung in there with Cal and Cal Poly at the beginning of the season, and have had some pretty strong offensive production. I don't think the Eagles look past them as there is too much on the line with the first outright BSC title in 16 years and a seed on the line.

I think Idaho pulls this one out, and Sac State beats Weber, but agree on your other picks.

darell1976
November 21st, 2013, 06:08 AM
All road teams except Sac St and EWU.

Walkon79
November 21st, 2013, 11:49 AM
Only pulling for two. Go Jacks and Cats!!!

wapiti
November 22nd, 2013, 09:43 AM
Portland St. 32- 45 EWU — EWU has already wrapped up the BSC crown and punched a ticket to the playoffs. EWU is playing for seeding in the playoffs. This is PSU's last game of the year and would like to end the seaon with a win. But the Eagles are a great team this year and the Vikings are a decent team but not great, plus this game is in Cheney.

Davis 24-27 Sac State — Being a rivalry games this could be a good game to watch. I went with the home team.

NAU 28-32 SUU — SUU has beat a FBS and a top 10 FCS on the road this year, so SUU is no slouch, but NAU is no slouch either. This has the looks of a heavy weight battle. Should be a hum dinger of a game and a fun one to watch. Does anyone know if this is on Bigskytv?

Idaho St. 35-44 Weber — If this game were at ISU, I might favor the Bengals, but it is in Odgen.

Montana 38-17 Montana St. — Seeing how MSU has played its last three games, the Griz should win this by at least 3 TD's. If not, then the Griz are no good and should stay home for the playoffs.

Cal Poly 32-20 NoCo — CP is probably wondering what happened this year. At the start of the year they were predicted to be a contender for the BSC crown and a playoff team. Now this is their last game of the season and they are hoping to end it with a win. NC has only won one game this year and that was over a Div 2 school. NC has shown some improvement over the course of the year, but not enough to get a win over CP.

Red & Black
November 22nd, 2013, 10:44 AM
PSU 31, EWU 45
UC Davis 27, Sac State 28
NAU 21, SUU 24
Idaho State 38, Weber State 27
Montana 42, Montana State 28
Cal Poly 28, UNC 10

bojeta
November 22nd, 2013, 03:22 PM
PSU 10 EWU 49
UC Davis 30 SAC 28
NAU 14 SUU 28
Idaho St 35 Weber 24
Montana 24 Montana St 21
Cal Poly 55 NC 7

dudeitsaid
November 22nd, 2013, 10:18 PM
There is no separate EWU vs PSU thread so I will ask this question here. Is there really a rivalry between EWU and PSU? It seems it is more of a contrived rivalry to me. The series is close, with PSU leading 19 to 15, and they have the Dam Cup to fight over, but this game never feels like a rivalry game to me. It is nothing like the UM/EWU rivalry. Will we be seeing PSU's fans come out to Cheney in the same level of support as UM's? Maybe of PSU was typically stronger? Do the players see it as a rivalry? Does PSU?

Not trying to stir the hornet's nest (though maybe we should if this is to be a true rivalry). How many other of these rivalry week rivalries aren't true rivalries at all? Isn't SUU vs Weber a bigger rivalry than NAU vs SUU? Aren't UC Davis and Cal Poly fiercer rivals than Sac State and UC Davis? Anyone in the know able to fill me in?

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2013, 10:38 PM
There is no separate EWU vs PSU thread so I will ask this question here. Is there really a rivalry between EWU and PSU? It seems it is more of a contrived rivalry to me. The series is close, with PSU leading 19 to 15, and they have the Dam Cup to fight over, but this game never feels like a rivalry game to me. It is nothing like the UM/EWU rivalry. Will we be seeing PSU's fans come out to Cheney in the same level of support as UM's? Maybe of PSU was typically stronger? Do the players see it as a rivalry? Does PSU?

Not trying to stir the hornet's nest (though maybe we should if this is to be a true rivalry). How many other of these rivalry week rivalries aren't true rivalries at all? Isn't SUU vs Weber a bigger rivalry than NAU vs SUU? Aren't UC Davis and Cal Poly fiercer rivals than Sac State and UC Davis? Anyone in the know able to fill me in?

Dude, you said it. A number of these "rivalries" just aren't there. The fact you, an Eastern fan, are asking if PSU & EWU are real rivals confirms they are not. As to fans traveling, PSU barely gets fans to their games in Portland so don't expect many at the red eye sore. With Washington & Oregon being neighbors maybe the Dam Cup will grow into something meaningful but I'd not even heard of it until this week. Cal Davis & Cal Poly do have a heated and real rivalry. Although they're much close neighbors don't know about Davis & Sac St being as much. Weber & Idaho State actually consider each other rivals (probably because of proximity). With the growth of Southern Utah Univ. I expect that a rivalry will grow between them and Weber State for a defacto state 'championship'. I have no idea if the SUU and Northern Arizona rivalry is real or fabricated. Since Eastern became competitive, EWU & Montana has a budding one but it isn't quite there yet. So in the Big Sky I believe the Montana - MSU, Davis - Poly, and WSU & ISU are the only unquestioned ones. Perhaps others can correct me if I'm wrong.

SeattleGriz
November 22nd, 2013, 10:48 PM
Dude, you said it. A number of these "rivalries" just aren't there. The fact you, an Eastern fan, are asking if PSU & EWU are real rivals confirms they are not. As to fans traveling, PSU barely gets fans to their games in Portland so don't expect many at the red eye sore. With Washington & Oregon being neighbors maybe the Dam Cup will grow into something meaningful but I'd not even heard of it until this week. Cal Davis & Cal Poly do have a heated and real rivalry. Although they're much close neighbors don't know about Davis & Sac St being as much. Weber & Idaho State actually consider each other rivals (probably because of proximity). With the growth of Southern Utah Univ. I expect that a rivalry will grow between them and Weber State for a defacto state 'championship'. I have no idea if the SUU and Northern Arizona rivalry is real or fabricated. Since Eastern became competitive, EWU & Montana has a budding one but it isn't quite there yet. So in the Big Sky I believe the Montana - MSU, Davis - Poly, and WSU & ISU are the only unquestioned ones. Perhaps others can correct me if I'm wrong.

Weber and Idaho State are rivals... for Mormon women.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Grizo406
November 22nd, 2013, 11:32 PM
As a Griz fan, I'd accept a loss to the Cats if it meant that they would have to play the Bison in the Fargo Dome!

Should it happen, that would be pretty sweet, huh?!!?xnodx

Red & Black
November 23rd, 2013, 12:57 AM
Sac State and Davis have a bigger rivalry than Davis and Poly or Poly and Sac State. The Sac State-UC Davis game is called the "Causeway Classic" due to relative proximity of the schools.

The Dam Cup thing seems to be catching on some, but it is definitely a manufactured rivalry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

dudeitsaid
November 23rd, 2013, 01:49 AM
Sac State and Davis have a bigger rivalry than Davis and Poly or Poly and Sac State. The Sac State-UC Davis game is called the "Causeway Classic" due to relative proximity of the schools.

The Dam Cup thing seems to be catching on some, but it is definitely a manufactured rivalry.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew they played each other every year, and had a name for their rivalry, but with UC Davis being Great West till recently, I wondered if it had the fire of an in league rivalry.

I still don't get worked up about the dam cup.

Red & Black
November 23rd, 2013, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I knew they played each other every year, and had a name for their rivalry, but with UC Davis being Great West till recently, I wondered if it had the fire of an in league rivalry.

I still don't get worked up about the dam cup.

Meh, me either. But it's important game for recruiting on the I-5 corridor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

JALMOND
November 23rd, 2013, 12:24 PM
63-29 for the year, pulling out all the stops for perfection this week.

CP at UNC---Not much of a rivalry game. The Mustangs want to finish on top, the Bears just want to put the season away...CP 38, UNC 17.

ISU at WSU---The Bengals think they've built momentum for next year. The Wildcats would like to put the other bookend on the sides of this dreadful season...WSU 21, ISU 12.

UM at MSU---Grizzlies should be in the playoffs, regardless. The Bobcats most likely need this game just to get it...MSU 32, UM 28.

NAU at SUU---The Lumberjacks want to create momentum heading into the playoffs, the Thunderbirds are playing to get in the playoffs, and doing a good job of it...SUU 24, NAU 21.

PSU at EWU---The Vikings have played the Eagles tough. The Eagles are striving for a seed. Vikings championship game, the Eagles come later...PSU 42, EWU 37.

UCD at Sac St---The Aggies have done well this season considering where they were picked. The Hornets realized last week they still have something to play for...Sac St 31, UCD 27.

veinup
November 23rd, 2013, 05:30 PM
well it looks like montana won

JALMOND
November 24th, 2013, 12:24 AM
63-29 for the year, pulling out all the stops for perfection this week.

CP at UNC---Not much of a rivalry game. The Mustangs want to finish on top, the Bears just want to put the season away...CP 38, UNC 17.

ISU at WSU---The Bengals think they've built momentum for next year. The Wildcats would like to put the other bookend on the sides of this dreadful season...WSU 21, ISU 12.

UM at MSU---Grizzlies should be in the playoffs, regardless. The Bobcats most likely need this game just to get it...MSU 32, UM 28.

NAU at SUU---The Lumberjacks want to create momentum heading into the playoffs, the Thunderbirds are playing to get in the playoffs, and doing a good job of it...SUU 24, NAU 21.

PSU at EWU---The Vikings have played the Eagles tough. The Eagles are striving for a seed. Vikings championship game, the Eagles come later...PSU 42, EWU 37.

UCD at Sac St---The Aggies have done well this season considering where they were picked. The Hornets realized last week they still have something to play for...Sac St 31, UCD 27.

2-4 to end, 65-33 for the season. Just like the Viks, looking forward to next season.

Squealofthepig
November 24th, 2013, 12:28 AM
2-4 to end, 65-33 for the season. Just like the Viks, looking forward to next season.

Gotta give you mondo props (even homerish) for calling the EWU/PSU game closer than most of us thought it would be - the Vikings played their hearts out, and it was a fun game to watch.

I'd say "at least Kupp is a senior", but that's just my mental block wanting to be rid of him; my heart knows he's a freshman and will be hurting other Big Sky teams for three more years.

dudeitsaid
November 24th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Meh, me either. But it's important game for recruiting on the I-5 corridor.

Man, I may not care much for the Dam cup, but it sure seemed like the Vikings did. It's not uncommon for this to be a close game, but that was downright ugly. If they had any kind of kicker, we'd have lost that game. Love that the Eagles never ever give up. Maybe this is a rivalry after all.

Squealofthepig
November 24th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Man, I may not care much for the Dam cup, but it sure seemed like the Vikings did. It's not uncommon for this to be a close game, but that was downright ugly. If they had any kind of kicker, we'd have lost that game. Love that the Eagles never ever give up. Maybe this is a rivalry after all.

Gotta agree - say what you will, but that was an intense, hard-fought game on both sides of the ball. This was NOT the Portland State team that came to Missoula (though I'll quickly add that the Griz's 4-0 turnover ratio was the story of that game) - this was a Vikings team that came ready to play. Kudos to the Eagles for fighting for the uphill win!