PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Playoff Selection Criteria

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2013, 04:44 PM
How teams are selected (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/fcs+selections/fcs+selections)
How the bracket is built (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/fcs+selections/fcs+bracket)
The playoff committee (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/fcs+selections/fcs+committee)

This was posted on Bisonville and thought it would be of interest to many on here (and didn't see it posted yet). They confirm that they will use the SRS this year and that the final release will be public on 11/24 (assuming that's after the selections have been announced). The mileage threshold remains at 400 miles for ground travel (was rumored to have been increased to 450 miles). The magical D1 win number is reduced to 6 and even though D2 teams are included in the SRS it says teams playing full D1 schedules "may" (a.ka. "will") be given more consideration. Have a look and check it out.

Sammy94
November 20th, 2013, 04:54 PM
The mileage threshold remains at 400 miles for ground travel (was rumored to have been increased to 450 miles).

That leaves very few for Sam to play a first round game with. That is if they make it.

melloware13
November 20th, 2013, 05:21 PM
That leaves very few for Sam to play a first round game with. That is if they make it.
That just means that the NCAA will only consider flights if the schools are over 400 miles apart, and require buses for any schools closer. Since the travel is paid for by the NCAA, they get to make the rule.

WileECoyote06
November 20th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Within the NCAA SRS, the rating of a team will be calculated largely by two components: a strength-of-schedule measure (SOS) and a win-loss differential (WL).

hmm. . . this looks familiar.

IBleedYellow
November 20th, 2013, 05:31 PM
"Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games or for second round games when both teams are playing their first games of the championship (except for teams from the same conference that did not play against each other during the regular season; such teams may play each other in the first/second round)."

Finally!

EDIT:

"Once the first-round pairings have been determined, there will be no adjustments to the bracket (e.g., a seeded team may play a conference opponent that advanced out of the first round)."

Nevermind...

FargoBison
November 20th, 2013, 05:38 PM
(except for teams from the same conference that did not play against each other during the regular season; such teams may play each other in the first/second round)."

Interesting...so the Griz and SUU could play each other in round one. What other situations like that are out there?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2013, 05:44 PM
"Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games or for second round games when both teams are playing their first games of the championship (except for teams from the same conference that did not play against each other during the regular season; such teams may play each other in the first/second round)."

Finally!

EDIT:

"Once the first-round pairings have been determined, there will be no adjustments to the bracket (e.g., a seeded team may play a conference opponent that advanced out of the first round)."

Nevermind...

SDSU could be sent to Fargo for a 2nd round game...again.

goyotes
November 20th, 2013, 05:45 PM
I posted this in another thread but will also put it here. This link is to the current SRS rankings for non-FBS teams. I am not sure if it is the actual rankings or someone's estimation, but definitely has some interesting rankings (for example the #3 ranked team is D2 Northwest Missouri State) - http://www.footballperspective.com/non-fbs-college-football-ratings-through-12-weeks/#comment-58538

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2013, 05:50 PM
I posted this in another thread but will also put it here. This link is to the current SRS rankings for non-FBS teams. I am not sure if it is the actual rankings or someone's estimation, but definitely has some interesting rankings (for example the #3 ranked team is D2 Northwest Missouri State) - http://www.footballperspective.com/non-fbs-college-football-ratings-through-12-weeks/#comment-58538

That SRS uses MOV which is not used the same calculation as the NCAA version which on uses win loss. I was following it also, but now we can throw it away

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

melloware13
November 20th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Delaware and UNH, but I don't see both getting in

TypicalTribe
November 20th, 2013, 07:14 PM
EWU didn't play NAU. If SUU beats NAU and both get in, wouldn't be a shocker to see potential SUU/UM and NAU/EWU second round matchups.

knucklehead
November 20th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Is there a link to the SRS they use?

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Is there a link to the SRS they use?

Will get released on 11/24

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JayJ79
November 20th, 2013, 11:02 PM
"Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games or for second round games when both teams are playing their first games of the championship"

that blurb about the second round doesn't really apply to the current 24-team format, since every team that receives a bye (i.e. the 8 seeded teams) face a winner of a first round game. It DID apply with the 20-team bracket, since there were only 4 first-round games and some of the second-round games did have two teams who were playing their first game of the tournament.

skinny_uncle
November 21st, 2013, 03:10 AM

Finally!

EDIT:

Nevermind...

If both teams are playing their first games of the championship, they would be seeds and couldn't meet in the second round anyhow. What am I not getting here?

TypicalTribe
November 21st, 2013, 11:12 AM
If both teams are playing their first games of the championship, they would be seeds and couldn't meet in the second round anyhow. What am I not getting here?

I think that wording is left over from last year when it was possible. The interesting wrinkle is that it does imply that there could be a first round game between conference teams who haven't played each other. SUU/UM potentially.