PDA

View Full Version : KC Keeler to Albany?

superman7515
November 20th, 2013, 09:13 AM
http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Albany: A source tells CoachingSearch.com that Albany is targeting former Delaware head coach K.C. Keeler for the head coaching job. A deal could be reached shortly.

danefan
November 20th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Its been rumored for weeks now. He makes a whole lot of sense....except he's not a Bob Ford guy.

Its going to be an uneasy feeling for most alumni knowing there are very qualified guys out there that are Bob Ford trained guys.

M Ruler
November 20th, 2013, 10:12 AM
As I stated on Big Purple Fans if this is true I love the hire. He will get Albany up to speed in the CAA in his first year. FBS & JUCO transfers pack your long underwear because ALBANY GETS COLD!!!

I KNOW THE Delaware guys will knock Keeler and I also know that Keeler is destined for FBS football but if we can get 4-5 years out of him and become competitive in the CAA next season its an outstanding hire.

And finally I am pulling for Maine (my second favorite FCS team) all the way! Ford always loved playing Maine and I think they are a natural rival for UA!

bluehenbillk
November 20th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Most Delaware fans won't knock Keeler. He did something Tubby never did which was win a 1-AA NC. KC wasn't much for consistency in terms of on-field performance but his high's were very high.

He'll be coaching again sooner rather than later whether it's at Albany or somewhere else.

Brad82
November 20th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Keelers name is mentioned of significance in Rhodys search.
Hold on here. There are a lot of good candidates out there regardless.

ccd494
November 20th, 2013, 10:36 AM
No offense to Rhody, but I take the Albany job if I have the choice of the two. New facility, haven't tried to de-emphasize football lately, etc.

danefan
November 20th, 2013, 10:40 AM
No offense to Rhody, but I take the Albany job if I have the choice of the two. New facility, haven't tried to de-emphasize football lately, etc.

No brainer in my mind as well. Plus Albany can be a football school. Rhode Island football will always lag behind basketball being in the A10.

Phase II of Bob Ford Field would sway any coach over Rhody too, IMO.

superman7515
November 20th, 2013, 10:56 AM
FBS & JUCO transfers pack your long underwear because ALBANY GETS COLD!!!

FBS? Yes, absolutely. JUCO? No.

State Line Liquors
November 20th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Keeler is not a guy who is going to go looking for a 1A job. I actually think he recognizes that the grass isn't exactly greener in those pastures and would much rather retire the way Tubby and Bob Ford did. It'll be tough filling Ford's shoes though as well.

I hope he does get one of these open CAA jobs---it will add some very interesting material to the future schedule. I think choosing UA over URI is a no brainer though.

Dane96
November 20th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Completely torn on this if it comes to fruition. I think there are very good positives with a Keeler hire and I think he has learned, as another has said, that the grass isn't always greener. I think he also has had time to think about consistency. But frankly, as Danefan alluded to, there are so many good coaches out there with the Ford pedigree. Maybe the school does not want to saddle a new coach with the unfair pressure of being the guy who comes after Ford...and being a "Ford guy".

As for URI vs. Albany-- this is a no brainer decision. Brand-new stadium and plans already set for Phase 2 expansion...and total capacity statement of 27,500 seats plus academic/coaching/sports medicine and locker rooms and another VIP deck. This team was pretty bad this year (probably lost 2-3 games it should have won, hence "pretty bad" and not "flat out bad"). That said, we still had an official average of nearly 7,000 fans...with an unofficial average of 8,000 fans. We also had two games "unofficially" eclipse 11,000 fans. Two more games were at terrible start-times for the late-fall, at 3:30. Add in that 1500 "official seats" are on the grass berm (who would sit there in the winter)...and the school basically has massive untapped potential to fill a stadium.

Finally, there is a design group working on an indoor performance center plan....

Brad82
November 20th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Keeler and Rossamundo are both top tier.
it will certainly narrow the field.

M Ruler
November 20th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Many have said quietly and some of those "sources" are employed on CAA football staffs who have not been fired or are about to be let go (Albany) that Albany and Stony Brook are true sleeping giants in the CAA.

If Keeler is hired and wins. Schedule beatable FBS opponents as well as expand out to 25,000 seats...watch out!

TigerFen
November 20th, 2013, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Keeler goes there. This would be a good move for Albany if it does because he has won National titles. I was kind of thinking that Keeler was going to go back to a coordinator for a few years before getting another chance. We shall see on this.

DFW HOYA
November 20th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Many have said quietly and some of those "sources" are employed on CAA football staffs who have not been fired or are about to be let go (Albany) that Albany and Stony Brook are true sleeping giants in the CAA.

Of course, sleeping giants don't get in the way unles they wake up. For years, (esp. before scholarships) a few PL coaches would regularly call Georgetown a sleeping giant, but that didn't change the Hoyas' trajectory.

danefan
November 20th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Of course, sleeping giants don't get in the way unles they wake up. For years, (esp. before scholarships) a few PL coaches would regularly call Georgetown a sleeping giant, but that didn't change the Hoyas' trajectory.

Apples and hand grenades. UAlbany and Stony Brook have made the financial commitment to wake up that giant. Georgetown has never even gotten close to doing the same for competitiveness in the Patriot League.

Dane96
November 20th, 2013, 01:55 PM
EDIT: Danefan beat me to the punch. Here is the body of my e-mail, however:

True...but when you have an entire staff talking and commission design of Phase 2 of expansion, when you have won more conference titles than any other conference mate, when you add a marching band in a swift manner, commission a design of a athlete performance center, when you upgrade football conferences, when you "dance" with an all-sport conference move, etc., it is a different ball game. And that's just Albany. SBU has done more than their fair share of the same...new arena, stadium expansion, etc.

The Albany and SBU program directions are not comparable to that of Georgetown as far as ceiling and dedication to achieving that ceiling. Sure, Georgetown is in the Big East...but remember, Albany and SBU were DIII 20 years ago.

bluehenbillk
November 20th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I'd put it at 95% that KC will coach somewhere next year. Even though he got basically a seven figure buyout from UD he's still up to his neck in football. He works for NFL Films most of the week breaking down game tape with Ron Jaworski & Greg Cosell, and then he's done color for a bunch of college games on ESPN3.

Jaworski has a weekly radio show and he raves about Keeler & has had him on the show at least 2x that I've heard this fall. Jaws has mentioned it frequently that he expects KC to be back on the sidelines next season.

Brad82
November 20th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Where would you rather live Narragansett RI or Albany?

Dane96
November 20th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Albany. Where he will get resources, a realistic shot at a title in sometime, and with the ability to summer vacation on a beach anywhere he wants.

Tribal
November 20th, 2013, 06:16 PM
So, joining CAA Football suddenly flips the switch, huh? Good to know.

Dane96
November 20th, 2013, 06:33 PM
No...it doesn't. But thanks for the sarcasm. The question was simple, with an implication: Where would you rather live...and coach.

URI has proven over the years it is not committed to winning. (and I was recruited by them way, way back when...and I know at least 20 guys, including my running back from h.s.) that played there.

So, when given the choice to go to two places that are at the bottom (and one has less than 40 rides right now) where do you go: The school that is trying to build something...or the school that is trying to do the same but hancuffing the head coach for at least 20 years +.

So Tribe, that's my honest and fair answer. Has nothing to do with joining the CAA.

Brad82
November 20th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Dane96,I and RI fans admire Albanys commitment.
Just somebody asked the question about where to live.
My gut feeling is it would be a tough choice.
However,both schools should wind up with a very good coach.
Do you know Rossomando from New Haven or Chesney at Assumption? I think they would be great catches too.
What can you say about them?

danefan
November 20th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Do you know Rossomando from New Haven or Chesney at Assumption? I think they would be great catches too.

Rossomando was the OLine and then OC at Albany before he took the HC job at New Haven. I can't say enough about him. Great coach (DII coach of the year) but an even better man. He was
an assistant when I plaed at Albany.

Ros (as we call him) is my first choice to replace Ford.

Tribal
November 20th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Just wondering who crowned UA and SBU the "sleeping giants" and how "facilities and resources" equate to championships...that's all. I'm reading part 2 of everything GA State fans said for three years; none of which lead to respectable football. Your taking what I said as smack but that's your interpretation so not much I can do about that.

Dane96
November 20th, 2013, 09:44 PM

If you put a gun to my head I would like Rossomondo. He is a great...great...great guy and single-handily rebuilt New Haven after they de-emphasized football. He is a working man's coach. He isn't sexy...but I'd take him in a heartbeat. He does it right as have most, if not all, Bob Ford disciples.

Put it this way: I think Rossomondo would do a great job at either school. He will simply outwork everyone. If either school ends up with him...things are looking up for that school.

I've heard some--but not much--about Chesney from locals here in MA. Sorry, can't help you on him.

Dane96
November 20th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Just wondering who crowned UA and SBU the "sleeping giants" and how "facilities and resources" equate to championships...that's all. I'm reading part 2 of everything GA State fans said for three years; none of which lead to respectable football. Your taking what I said as smack but that's your interpretation so not much I can do about that.

You misinterpret things me thinks. Dane fans are generally humble as can be. We do have a chip on our shoulders from the NEC years...but we are humble. We have been given next to zero support up until recently (and barely) by the State compared to our other brethren. We got limited respect as NEC members. However, we simply went out and won games.

The CAA is a massively different animal. We are clawing our way back up the ladder just as we did 15 years ago when we entered I-AA/FCS.

Nobody has crowned us anything.

Tribal
November 21st, 2013, 03:50 PM
You misinterpret things me thinks. Dane fans are generally humble as can be. We do have a chip on our shoulders from the NEC years...but we are humble. We have been given next to zero support up until recently (and barely) by the State compared to our other brethren. We got limited respect as NEC members. However, we simply went out and won games.

The CAA is a massively different animal. We are clawing our way back up the ladder just as we did 15 years ago when we entered I-AA/FCS.

Nobody has crowned us anything.

Gotcha...my quotes, though, are from this thread.

As you are well aware, CAA Football is largely made up of schools that are all-in when it comes to football and I fully expect UA & SBU to continue that trend. UA far exceeds NEC football standards...think of the CAA as a move to a much larger pot so you can grow to your potential. You couldn't have done that in the NEC.

Sader87
November 21st, 2013, 04:50 PM
Gotcha...my quotes, though, are from this thread.

As you are well aware, CAA Football is largely made up of schools that are all-in when it comes to football and I fully expect UA & SBU to continue that trend. UA far exceeds NEC football standards...think of the CAA as a move to a much larger pot so you can grow to your potential. You couldn't have done that in the NEC.

How well do you think W&M will do in the Patriot League in the future Tribal??? xlolx

superman7515
November 22nd, 2013, 09:52 AM
http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Danes-may-have-sights-set-on-coach-5000347.php

Former Delaware football coach K.C. Keeler (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22K.C.+Keeler%22) was on the opposite sideline when the University at Albany had arguably its greatest victory, upsetting the 11th-ranked Blue Hens in Newark, Del. in 2006.
Keeler declined on Thursday to confirm an Internet report that he could become a part of more UAlbany history by succeeding the legendary Bob Ford as head coach.

CoachingSearch.com, citing an anonymous source, reported this week that UAlbany is "targeting" Keeler for the head coaching vacancy that will open when Ford retires after 44 years at the university. Ford's last game comes on Saturday at Stony Brook.

A deal could be reached "shortly," according to the Internet site run by Pete Roussel (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Pete+Roussel%22), who worked on Division I football staffs at Stanford, Ole Miss, Memphis and Samford. Roussel has more than 28,000 followers on Twitter.

Keeler, 54, won a Football Championship Subdivision national title at Delaware in 2003. He also guided the Blue Hens to title-game appearances in 2008 and 2010. He was fired in 2012 after back-to-back seasons of 7-4 and 5-6.

"I'm in the process of trying to figure out what I'm going to do next with my career and I'm definitely going to look into some opportunities to coach," Keeler said. "I want to coach again. I think Albany's a phenomenal place, but I'm not going to make a comment in terms of where I am with anything right now. It just wouldn't be appropriate. I don't even want to confirm where we are with the whole thing."

Keeler's record is 174-73-1 in 20 seasons, the first nine at Division III Rowan, where he reached three national championship games. Then he went to Delaware for 11 years and coached quarterback Joe Flacco (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Joe+Flacco%22), who won a Super Bowl with the Baltimore Ravens (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Baltimore+Ravens%22) last season.

andy7171
November 22nd, 2013, 10:16 AM
I wonder if the Albany AD has a good hand shake.

State Line Liquors
November 22nd, 2013, 10:35 AM
I wonder if the Albany AD has a good hand shake.

Probably pretty weak. But to his credit, he probably knows when to take the points and when to go for it. xsmiley_wix

Dane96
November 22nd, 2013, 11:06 AM
Albany's A.D. was a starting Middle Linebacker at UCLA. I think he's got a firmer handshake than many...and I've shook those hands. They are meat claws.

Mr. C
November 22nd, 2013, 02:14 PM
Its been rumored for weeks now. He makes a whole lot of sense....except he's not a Bob Ford guy.

Its going to be an uneasy feeling for most alumni knowing there are very qualified guys out there that are Bob Ford trained guys.
When you have as large of a coaching tree as Bob Ford does and it contains so many great coaches, why go outside of that tree to make the next hire at Albany? I was having lunch with one of Ford's proteges on Wednesday, Al Bagnoli, and we got to talking to Andy Talley about Ford. Turns out Talley nearly went to work for Ford at one stage of his career, too. We all agreed that you probably won't see anyone in college football stay in one place in the future as long as Ford has been at Albany.

On a side note, Bagnoli joked that Talley could still be at Villanova as long as Ford has been at Albany. You can do the math. The 70-year-old Talley is in his 29th year at Villanova.

UNH Fanboi
November 22nd, 2013, 03:13 PM
I spoke with the owner of the Sunglass Hut at Crossgates Mall and he is really counting on Keeler getting the job at Albany.

Mr. C
November 22nd, 2013, 03:15 PM
Speaking of Bob Ford, I ran across a great article on him on the eve of his final game against Stony Brook on Saturday:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/albany-football-coach-ford-retires-163739207--ncaaf.html

CFBfan
November 22nd, 2013, 03:33 PM
I spoke with the owner of the Sunglass Hut at Crossgates Mall and he is really counting on Keeler getting the job at Albany.

good one !

ngineer
November 22nd, 2013, 03:37 PM
If hired, the Danes will have it "made in the shades"...(;-)

danefan
November 22nd, 2013, 04:11 PM
Speaking of Bob Ford, I ran across a great article on him on the eve of his final game against Stony Brook on Saturday:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/albany-football-coach-ford-retires-163739207--ncaaf.html

A great Quote

''My grandmother used to have a tremendous saying: 'Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.' For me, that became totally true.''

superman7515
December 2nd, 2013, 11:44 PM
Albany: A source tells CoachingSearch.com that former Delaware head coach KC Keeler will be named head coach at Albany.

danefan
December 3rd, 2013, 07:41 AM
My understanding is that the interviews with the finalists wrapped up yesterday. We should hear something final soon.

Ivytalk
December 3rd, 2013, 10:02 AM

I'm surprised it took until post #34 for the Ray-Bans to pop up!xcoolx

Bogus Megapardus
December 3rd, 2013, 10:22 AM
The New York Capital District has little affinity to any other location. It's not like New York or Boston; not even like western Massachusetts or southern Vermont. People there are decidedly parochial and they really like living there - with good reason. By the same token they can be suspicious and wary of anyone who can't properly scale and dress a northern pike or disassemble a '71 Malibu in a weekend with nothing but a vice grip and a dull butter knife. And they do NOT wear designer sunglasses (except for the cheap ones you get at Stewarts and only when skiing or operating watercraft).

KC Keeler is going to have to turn it down about 30 degrees if he hopes to be accepted by the fans, let alone have anywhere near the rapport that Bob Ford had with folks around there.

M Ruler
December 3rd, 2013, 10:38 AM
The New York Capital District has little affinity to any other location. It's not like New York or Boston; not even like western Massachusetts or southern Vermont. People there are decidedly parochial and they really like living there - with good reason. By the same token they can be suspicious and wary of anyone who can't properly scale and dress a northern pike or disassemble a '71 Malibu in a weekend with nothing but a vice grip and a dull butter knife. And they do NOT wear designer sunglasses (except for the cheap ones you get at Stewarts and only when skiing or operating watercraft).

KC Keeler is going to have to turn it down about 30 degrees if he hopes to be accepted by the fans, let alone have anywhere near the rapport that Bob Ford had with folks around there.

KC & The Sunshine Band can wear platform disco shoes and a barrel with suspenders for all I care just as long as he wins and soon! And that goes for Pete Rossamundo if he is hired as well.

But you are right about Ford, the Capital District loved him. I knew he was well liked because Chuck Schumer gave him props recently.

danefan
December 3rd, 2013, 12:07 PM
According to Coachingsearch.com

Albany: A source at Albany tells me the coaching search is not yet wrapped up. Though KC Keeler could land the job, there has not a been an offer yet. A different source tells me that Maryland defensive line coach Greg Gattuso could emerge as the guy.

TigerFen
December 3rd, 2013, 12:59 PM
According to Coachingsearch.com

Interesting that they may go with Gattuso who has been out of FCS for a decade instead of Keeler. He has a good resume with Duquense (eight MAAC titles in 90's and early 00's) and has helped improved MD's defense over the last couple of years.

Dane96
December 3rd, 2013, 01:13 PM
You mean out of FCS?

State Line Liquors
December 3rd, 2013, 01:39 PM
I wonder how much Keeler's agent played a roll in the release of any of these rumors. Gary O'Hagan. It seemed at various points over his tenure at UD there unsubstantiated rumors of competing interest from one school or another...Michigan, UNC, UConn, maybe someone else I don't remember. Most recently the morning of our title appearance in 2010, there were 'reports' Keeler or his agent had discussions about the UConn job. They either turned out to be false or insignificant enough that he didn't get or take the job, but they were placed in a timely enough fashion that I think they served as a distraction on what should have been a day the team was 100% focused on the task at hand.

If you hire Keeler, all the best to everyone. If you don't, at least take solace knowing you won't have to worry about b.s. rumors that he's been speaking to some other school somewhere the morning of one of your program's biggest games.

Dane96
December 3rd, 2013, 01:43 PM
The more I think about Gattuso the more I think he is the best hire if we are going outside the "Ford Family Tree".

Bogus Megapardus
December 3rd, 2013, 01:49 PM
If you hire Keeler, all the best to everyone. If you don't, at least take solace knowing you won't have to worry about b.s. rumors that he's been speaking to some other school somewhere the morning of one of your program's biggest games.

This seems to me like the top reason not to go with Keeler and instead go with someone who has a connection with the University and the area.

Dane96
December 3rd, 2013, 01:55 PM
Agreed-- or someone who can build the connection such as Gattuso. For me, it's Gattuso or Rossomando.

State Line Liquors
December 3rd, 2013, 02:22 PM
This seems to me like the top reason not to go with Keeler and instead go with someone who has a connection with the University and the area.

Keeler had a connection to UD & the area. And with success, I don't think there's any guarantee that whoever is hired won't receive interest from other schools with bigger names. I think he's a good coach, that gives professional presentation. He's genuinely a good person and family man in my opinion. If I was the Albany staff, or really any other staff considering hiring Keeler, I'd just be very careful with a guy like Gary O'Hagan or his team. O'Hagan & Co are the big leagues, and for them it's about scratching out more money or generating more press for their clients and not necessarily what's in the best interest of the school or program.

Gary O'Hagan started up IMG's coaching division in 2000.O'Hagan believes that agents are there to simplify the process, help coaches prepare for job interviews and send materials to interested schools.And, of course, protect their clients."These contracts are fairly complex and have significant legal ramifications," he adds..The agents' job is to get clients the position they want or more money in the job they currently have.That could mean calling the friend of a board member or planting stories in the media or doing research on coaching salaries."As an agent, you have to be an advocate for your client," says Armstrong. "You have to do everything possible to help him get the job he wants.That may mean talking to the AD or the friend of an AD.However, all of this can and should be done in an ethical manner.Not all agents operate that way.

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/013008aag.html

TigerFen
December 3rd, 2013, 02:37 PM
You mean out of FCS?

Yes, I did and have fixed the original post on it.

ace93
December 3rd, 2013, 02:48 PM
It would be nice if Keeler got hired by someone so that we don't have to hear him do games anymore. I have never heard a color guy talk about himself during a game as much as Keeler did on Saturday.

Stick
December 3rd, 2013, 04:15 PM
Agreed on Keeler needing a job. I think he saw it more as a marketing opportunity more than a color gig.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2013, 07:35 PM
maybe Keeler will motivate Brock to go get some bigtime transfers....

danefan
December 4th, 2013, 07:13 AM
According to the local beat writer Andrew Santillo, there are 5 finalists among them are:

An FBS assistant
A Former FCS head coach
A current DII head coach
A current member of the UAlbany staff

nothing on the 5th

pretty easy to guess those 4 based on what we already know from other sources.

Gattuso -Maryland
Keeler - Formerly Delaware
Rossomando - New Haven and former Albany OC and Assoc HC
McCarthy - Current OC and Assoc HC.

CFBfan
December 4th, 2013, 07:17 AM
According to the local beat writer Andrew Santillo, there are 5 finalists among them are:

An FBS assistant
A Former FCS head coach
A current DII head coach
A current member of the UAlbany staff

nothing on the 5th

pretty easy to guess those 4 based on what we already know from other sources.

Gattuso -Maryland
Keeler - Formerly Delaware
Rossomando - New Haven and former Albany OC and Assoc HC
McCarthy - Current OC and Assoc HC.

how do you view these 4 dane?

M Ruler
December 4th, 2013, 08:30 AM

I was a big supporter of Keeler but as I begin to hear more and more about him I have to agree with Dane 96. I believe any one of the top three would build a winner. Gattuso or Rossamundo would be ideal. If Ross gets the job he would be at Albany for 20 years.

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2013, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure about Gattuso. The guy is a very good coach, but not sure I would want him as my "face of the program".

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Coaching Search indicated that Antione Smith, DL coach at Holy Cross, has interviewed as well. His resume does not match the others.

I agree that Rossamundo would be a good choice.

superman7515
December 4th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Coaching Search indicated that Antione Smith, DL coach at Holy Cross, has interviewed as well. His resume does not match the others.

Rooney Rule. He doesn't have any actual chance at the job, they just want to give the perception that there was a chance they would ever lower themselves to allow their kids to be led by an awful awful negro.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews33/a%20trading%20places%20blu-ray/08_TradingPlaces_BD.jpg

bluehenbillk
December 4th, 2013, 09:35 AM
I don't get all the KC Keeler grumbling. Was he fairly or unfairly criticized for some of the things he did, sure. Was he to stubborn to change some things, sure. Was he way too conservative at times, no argument. But he did a ton of good things too. If Albany hired Keeler I'd bet anyone on this board they'd be in the playoffs & win at least one playoff game in his 1st 3 seasons. Keep in mind he inherited a crappy 4-6 2001 UD team. They went 6-6 in his 1st year, then won the conference & went on what was most likely the greatest postseason tear 1-AA/FCS has ever seen in steamrolling to the NC in Year 2. But hey, Albany went 0 for the CAA this year, why would they want that??? xeyebrowx

Dane96
December 4th, 2013, 09:37 AM
I was a big supporter of Keeler but as I begin to hear more and more about him I have to agree with Dane 96. I believe any one of the top three would build a winner. Gattuso or Rossamundo would be ideal. If Ross gets the job he would be at Albany for 20 years.

Smith is definitely out of the running me thinks. It's a three-horse race between Keeler, Gattuso and Rossomando. Keeler is the quick fix, Gattusso is a solid fix with deep recruiting ties, and Rosso is a a guy who will be here for awhile barring him screwing up royally.

It's really a choice of what the administration want...they all come with positives and negatives. I really think McCarthy coached himself out of a job this year.

Dane96
December 4th, 2013, 09:39 AM
I don't get all the KC Keeler grumbling. Was he fairly or unfairly criticized for some of the things he did, sure. Was he to stubborn to change some things, sure. Was he way too conservative at times, no argument. But he did a ton of good things too. If Albany hired Keeler I'd bet anyone on this board they'd be in the playoffs & win at least one playoff game in his 1st 3 seasons. Keep in mind he inherited a crappy 4-6 2001 UD team. They went 6-6 in his 1st year, then won the conference & went on what was most likely the greatest postseason tear 1-AA/FCS has ever seen in steamrolling to the NC in Year 2. But hey, Albany went 0 for the CAA this year, why would they want that??? xeyebrowx

Agree. This is the internal battle now: Do you want a proven winning commodity or are you building for a long-term coach. (Keeler vs. Rossomando). Gattusso is the middle of the two.

danefan
December 4th, 2013, 10:00 AM

My personal ranking:
1. Rossomando
2. Gattuso
3. Keeler

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2013, 10:05 AM
I'll reiterate what I said before: It's hard to picture high-profile, sunglasses-wearing, agent-toting Keeler up there in sleepy Albany. Does Albany really want a coach that will likely be looking around in four years at an FBS job? Or do they want another Bob Ford-type lifer?

superman7515
December 4th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I'll reiterate what I said before: It's hard to picture high-profile, sunglasses-wearing, agent-toting Keeler up there in sleepy Albany. Does Albany really want a coach that will likely be looking around in four years at an FBS job? Or do they want another Bob Ford-type lifer?

He didn't look around at an FBS job in two decades at Rowan and Delaware.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2013, 11:01 AM
He didn't look around at an FBS job in two decades at Rowan and Delaware.

There was UConn speculation, if I remember correctly.

superman7515
December 4th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Speculation from fan sites etc, but never anything that was shown to have any substance. As others have speculated, it seemed to be courtesy of his representation trying to get more money for their client.

Mr. C
December 5th, 2013, 12:33 AM
I actually talked at length with K.C. on Saturday at Fordham, where he was doing color commentary. He brushed off my question about Albany very quickly. He is keeping close to the college game and is also doing some things at NFL Films, breaking down film with Ron Jaworski and Merrill Hodge, helping them understand the read option stuff that is coming into the NFL.

Original_RMC
December 5th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Heard that Gattuso is suppose to have dinner tomorrow night with Albany's AD. Not sure what that could mean in terms of the direction that Albany is going with their new Head Coach. Not sure if each candidate is getting a private dinner or perhaps this might be Albany's way of offering it to Gattuso.

State Line Liquors
December 5th, 2013, 01:38 PM
If Gattuso does get the job, I look forward to the media spinning that will ensue from KCK's representation.

FCSFAN2013
December 6th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Keeler is the best coach for the job. He wouldn't take the job or even be interested in it if he didn't think he had a chance to get to the National Championship. At the end of the day, he is a winner, he wins, he is thoroughly involved in the community and he can obviously recruit. Who else in the nation has been to a National Championship game in 8 of their 20 years of being a head coach. He would help the entire University. I hope he is wearing purple soon!!!

bluehenbillk
December 6th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Keeler is the best coach for the job. He wouldn't take the job or even be interested in it if he didn't think he had a chance to get to the National Championship. At the end of the day, he is a winner, he wins, he is thoroughly involved in the community and he can obviously recruit. Who else in the nation has been to a National Championship game in 8 of their 20 years of being a head coach. He would help the entire University. I hope he is wearing purple soon!!!

I agree with most of what you said. But, I have people that tell me KC isn't interested & won't be taking the job.

CFBfan
December 6th, 2013, 03:42 PM
I agree with most of what you said. But, I have people that tell me KC isn't interested & won't be taking the job.

i'm not surprised, with no offense at all meant towards dane fan, i would think that he is looking for a little bigger opportunity

FCSFAN2013
December 6th, 2013, 03:49 PM
i'm not surprised, with no offense at all meant towards dane fan, i would think that he is looking for a little bigger opportunity This guy wins, I don't know him but look at his record. He flat out wins. Three mediocre seasons at UDel all followed up the next season by trips to the National Championship Game. He wins. Despite what anyone says, college football is about winning. I suppose my point is, if he takes this job, he believes he has the resources to win and he probably will. If he doesn't take it, it would be because the items that need to be in place for Albany to win are not going to be there. Albany, from all accounts is a pretty decent place to live, its a good academic institution, why not complete the trifecta and win a National Championship in football. Just a thought...

CFBfan
December 6th, 2013, 03:56 PM
]This guy wins[/B], I don't know him but look at his record. He flat out wins. Three mediocre seasons at UDel all followed up the next season by trips to the National Championship Game. He wins. Despite what anyone says, college football is about winning. I suppose my point is, if he takes this job, he believes he has the resources to win and he probably will. If he doesn't take it, it would be because the items that need to be in place for Albany to win are not going to be there. Albany, from all accounts is a pretty decent place to live, its a good academic institution, why not complete the trifecta and win a National Championship in football. Just a thought...

1. no one said he doesn't win, 2.how the hell do you know what he belives or doesn't believe??? 3.besides other potential reasons, if you don't like cold you don't like Albany!!! 4. a lot of spots are open and several are "better" oppty's the Albany!!
Please know what you are talking about when you post

Bogus Megapardus
December 6th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Heard that Gattuso is suppose to have dinner tomorrow night with Albany's AD.

Did they re-open the Miss Albany yet? They should take him there.

http://blog.timesunion.com/albany/files/2009/11/Miss-Albany1.JPG

FCSFAN2013
December 6th, 2013, 05:14 PM
1. no one said he doesn't win, 2.how the hell do you know what he belives or doesn't believe??? 3.besides other potential reasons, if you don't like cold you don't like Albany!!! 4. a lot of spots are open and several are "better" oppty's the Albany!!
Please know what you are talking about when you post

1. Stating that he wins is just fact, maybe a good reason to hire him. Dontcha think? 2. I dont know what he believes, but based on his track record, do you think a coach as successful as he has been is going to take a job where you cant win. Not to difficult to make that assumption. 3. What does the cold in Albany have to do with anything I said? It by most accounts Ive been given, is still thought of as a nice place to live, raise a family, etc... 4. Im sure if there are better options, he will take one. Which goes back to my point, perhaps coach Keeler will take this job because it is a place you can win. As for knowing what I am talking about, I am very informed on this situation. Perhaps you should try and understand what is being said before you jump the gun and answer emotionally.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2013, 09:30 PM
1. Stating that he wins is just fact, maybe a good reason to hire him. Dontcha think? 2. I dont know what he believes, but based on his track record, do you think a coach as successful as he has been is going to take a job where you cant win. Not to difficult to make that assumption. 3. What does the cold in Albany have to do with anything I said? It by most accounts Ive been given, is still thought of as a nice place to live, raise a family, etc... 4. Im sure if there are better options, he will take one. Which goes back to my point, perhaps coach Keeler will take this job because it is a place you can win. As for knowing what I am talking about, I am very informed on this situation. Perhaps you should try and understand what is being said before you jump the gun and answer emotionally.

Keeler has a very ho-hum record vs the CAA, hit a few homeruns when he got his transfer QB but struck out way to much. I cant see him even wanting to go to Albany after the being at Delaware for 11 seasons anyway....

danefan
December 6th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Keeler has a very ho-hum record vs the CAA, hit a few homeruns when he got his transfer QB but struck out way to much. I cant see him even wanting to go to Albany after the being at Delaware for 11 seasons anyway....

He was interested enough to travel to Albany for a round of interviews.......

Franks Tanks
December 6th, 2013, 10:00 PM
The Keeler love here is pretty funny. He is a good coach, but he is not getting offers from FBS programs to be a HC. If Keeler wants to be a HC again soon, it will be at a school like Albany.

bluehenbillk
December 6th, 2013, 10:13 PM
99.9% NOT happening. Close the thread.

Franks Tanks
December 6th, 2013, 11:18 PM
99.9% NOT happening. Close the thread.

Ya, K.C. must be waiting for Mack Brown to retire at Texas, or Muschamp to be let go at Florida. He managed to get fired from a school that hasn't fired a head football coach maybe ever.

If he were offered the job, he would be nuts to pass it up.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2013, 06:36 AM
He was interested enough to travel to Albany for a round of interviews.......

Do you have any pictures? What he is interested in is coming back to Newark and beating Delaware xnodx

danefan
December 7th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Do you have any pictures? What he is interested in is coming back to Newark and beating Delaware xnodx

Yeah because I sat in the bushes. You can believe me or not. Up to you.

The fact that there is this much interest in the new head coach at Albany is good enough for me. There are 3 really good finalists. 5 years ago I was very worried we wouldn't get much interest at all.

bluehenbillk
December 7th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Being reported by coachingsearch.com that Gattuso has been offered the job.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Yeah because I sat in the bushes. You can believe me or not. Up to you.

The fact that there is this much interest in the new head coach at Albany is good enough for me. There are 3 really good finalists. 5 years ago I was very worried we wouldn't get much interest at all.

Keeler might be holding the cards, rumor has it a MAC school might be his first option

danefan
December 7th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Keeler might be holding the cards, rumor has it a MAC school might be his first option

Im sure here will be a few MAC openings so it might work out for him. Limbo and Clawson are both likely gone to UConn and Wake.

Interestingly enough, both Bob Ford protégés.

WM2001
December 7th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Being reported by coachingsearch.com that Gattuso has been offered the job.

I'm not sure about that hire. His DL at Maryland hasn't been very good.