PDA

View Full Version : CO-Offensive National POW

Coastal89
October 9th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Central Connecticut State running back Justise Hairston, Coastal Carolina wide receiver Jerome Simpson, Morehead State defensive back David Hyland and Cal Poly linebacker Wes Pryor have been honored as I-AA players of the week by The Sports Network, the divisions most widely recognized sports information service.

Hairston recorded 332 rushing yards and five touchdowns, with 196 yards in the first quarter, to lift Central Connecticut State past St. Francis (PA), 62-21. Simpson had nine catches for 151 yards and two key fourth-quarter touchdowns as Coastal Carolina upset Furman, 29-27. Hyland made two important interceptions to help Morehead State past Dayton, 22-15. Pryor ignited a Cal Poly comeback victory against UC Davis with a blocked punt for a safety in the fourth quarter as the Mustangs went on to win, 23-17.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17303940&BRD=1142&PAG=740&dept_id=349300&rfi=6

CoastalFan2005
October 9th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Congrats to all of them (but especially Jerome)! :hurray:

October 9th, 2006, 10:10 PM
National I-AA Weekly All-Stars Named
I-AA.org
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=81383

* John Clements, New Hampshire vs Richmond, 5-11, 170, Sophomore, Cornerback, Hammonton, NJ

Clements sparked New Hampshire defensively as the Wildcats came from behind for a 27-17 victory over No. 7 Richmond in a key Atlantic 10 game at home on Saturday afternoon. The sophomore cornerback intercepted two passes and added 11 tackles as the Wildcats overcame a 14-6 halftime deficit. The A-10 defensive player of the week had nine solo tackles and two assists and came up with his first career sack as UNH held Richmond to one field goal in the second half. Clements had been a big addition to the Wildcat secondary, leading the squad with 26 solo tackles and four pass breakups this season.

* Justise Hairston, Central Connecticut State vs St. Francis, 6-1, 210, Senior, Halfback, New Britain, CT

Hairston rushed for 332 yards on 23 carries and five touchdowns as Central Connecticut State rolled to a 62-21 victory over St. Francis in Northeast Conference play on Saturday afternoon at home. Hairston established school and conference records for single-game rushing yardage and tied the records for touchdowns. On his first two touches of the day, the NEC offensive player of the week ran 62 yards for one score and 70 yards for another. He had six carries for 196 yards in the first quarter alone. He picked up TDs of eight, one and 11 yards the rest of the way and averaged 14.4 yards per carry. Hairston now has the top two rushing performances in I-AA this season. He ran for 241 yards in a Sept. 15 win over Southern Connecticut State. Hairston has 991 yards and 12 TDs on the season, for an average of 8.5 yards per carry. He is averaging a national-best 165.2 yards per game and needs just 422 yards the rest of the way to break CCSU's single-season rushing record.

* Arkee Whitlock, Southern Illinois vs Western Illinois, 5-10, 195, Senior, Tailback, Rock Hill, SC

Whitlock had the best game of his stellar career Saturday afternoon at home as Southern Illinois beat Western Illinois 31-24 in a key Gateway Conference game. Whitlock ran 33 times for a career-best 216 yards and three touchdowns to help the Salukis to the win. He smashed in twice from the one-yard line in the second quarter to rally SIU to a 21-10 halftime lead. With the game tied at 24 in the fourth quarter, Whitlock's 10-yard touchdown scamper gave the Salukis a seven-point lead with 6:48 remaining and it proved to be the game-winner. The workhorse back, who was the Gateway Conference offensive player of the week, went over 200 yards rushing for the second time in his career and surpassed the 3,000-yard plateau (3,096) for rushing and the 4,000-yard mark (4,114) for all-purpose yardage. He had all but 34 yards of the 250 rushing yards that SIU posted on the day.

* Jimmy Wilson, Montana vs Eastern Washington, 5-11, 194, Junior, Defensive Back, San Diego, CA

Wilson was a defensive spark on the road for Montana in its 33-17 Big Sky Conference victory over Eastern Washington on Saturday night. Wilson intercepted three passes and made six tackles as the Grizzlies held off EWU. He had two interceptions on back-to-back possessions in the first quarter. The first at the EWU 36-yard line led to a Montana touchdown two plays later. The second halted an Eagle drive at the Montana five. Wilson, the Big Sky Conference defensive player of the week, added a third interception in the third quarter to set up a Grizzly field goal. Overall, Montana's defense had five interceptions and six turnovers.

I-AA.org is the worldwide leader in I-AA news distribution.

Coastal89
October 9th, 2006, 10:22 PM
National I-AA Weekly All-Stars Named
I-AA.org
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=81383

* John Clements, New Hampshire vs Richmond, 5-11, 170, Sophomore, Cornerback, Hammonton, NJ

Clements sparked New Hampshire defensively as the Wildcats came from behind for a 27-17 victory over No. 7 Richmond in a key Atlantic 10 game at home on Saturday afternoon. The sophomore cornerback intercepted two passes and added 11 tackles as the Wildcats overcame a 14-6 halftime deficit. The A-10 defensive player of the week had nine solo tackles and two assists and came up with his first career sack as UNH held Richmond to one field goal in the second half. Clements had been a big addition to the Wildcat secondary, leading the squad with 26 solo tackles and four pass breakups this season.

* Justise Hairston, Central Connecticut State vs St. Francis, 6-1, 210, Senior, Halfback, New Britain, CT

Hairston rushed for 332 yards on 23 carries and five touchdowns as Central Connecticut State rolled to a 62-21 victory over St. Francis in Northeast Conference play on Saturday afternoon at home. Hairston established school and conference records for single-game rushing yardage and tied the records for touchdowns. On his first two touches of the day, the NEC offensive player of the week ran 62 yards for one score and 70 yards for another. He had six carries for 196 yards in the first quarter alone. He picked up TDs of eight, one and 11 yards the rest of the way and averaged 14.4 yards per carry. Hairston now has the top two rushing performances in I-AA this season. He ran for 241 yards in a Sept. 15 win over Southern Connecticut State. Hairston has 991 yards and 12 TDs on the season, for an average of 8.5 yards per carry. He is averaging a national-best 165.2 yards per game and needs just 422 yards the rest of the way to break CCSU's single-season rushing record.

* Arkee Whitlock, Southern Illinois vs Western Illinois, 5-10, 195, Senior, Tailback, Rock Hill, SC

Whitlock had the best game of his stellar career Saturday afternoon at home as Southern Illinois beat Western Illinois 31-24 in a key Gateway Conference game. Whitlock ran 33 times for a career-best 216 yards and three touchdowns to help the Salukis to the win. He smashed in twice from the one-yard line in the second quarter to rally SIU to a 21-10 halftime lead. With the game tied at 24 in the fourth quarter, Whitlock's 10-yard touchdown scamper gave the Salukis a seven-point lead with 6:48 remaining and it proved to be the game-winner. The workhorse back, who was the Gateway Conference offensive player of the week, went over 200 yards rushing for the second time in his career and surpassed the 3,000-yard plateau (3,096) for rushing and the 4,000-yard mark (4,114) for all-purpose yardage. He had all but 34 yards of the 250 rushing yards that SIU posted on the day.

* Jimmy Wilson, Montana vs Eastern Washington, 5-11, 194, Junior, Defensive Back, San Diego, CA

Wilson was a defensive spark on the road for Montana in its 33-17 Big Sky Conference victory over Eastern Washington on Saturday night. Wilson intercepted three passes and made six tackles as the Grizzlies held off EWU. He had two interceptions on back-to-back possessions in the first quarter. The first at the EWU 36-yard line led to a Montana touchdown two plays later. The second halted an Eagle drive at the Montana five. Wilson, the Big Sky Conference defensive player of the week, added a third interception in the third quarter to set up a Grizzly field goal. Overall, Montana's defense had five interceptions and six turnovers.

2006 Division I-AA Players of the Week
Week/Side Player Position School
6-Offense I Justise Hairston RB Central Connecticut State
Had a record-breaking day in a 62-21 win against St. Francis (PA), as he recorded 332 rushing yards and tied a school and NEC record with five touchdowns on only 23 carries

6-Offense II Jerome Simpson WR Coastal Carolina
Had a big effort with nine receptions for 151 yards and two touchdowns and make key plays to lift Coastal Carolina to a 29-27 upset over Furman.

6-Defense David Hyland CB Morehead State
Notched two key interceptions to lead Morehead State to a come-from- behind, 22-15, victory at Dayton.

6-Special Teams Wes Pryor LB Cal Poly
With Cal Poly trailing, 10-3, in the third quarter against UC Davis, Pryor gave his team a boost with a blocked punt through the endzone for a safety in an eventual 23-17 victory.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/player_week.htm

October 9th, 2006, 10:52 PM
2006 Division I-AA Players of the Week...Double post?

SoCon48
October 10th, 2006, 09:38 AM
332 yds a 5 TD's is hard to match.

AppGuy04
October 10th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Guess I was right about Hairston