PDA

View Full Version : Is the Selection Committee Going to Use SRS or Not?

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2013, 06:40 AM
I've read different things. Read that they're going to use it as a tool and also read they're still tweaking it and won't use it as a tool until next year. Which is it?

Houndawg
November 19th, 2013, 07:07 AM
whichever puts more CAA teams in :D

superman7515
November 19th, 2013, 07:34 AM
I've read different things. Read that they're going to use it as a tool and also read they're still tweaking it and won't use it as a tool until next year. Which is it?

The committee said that it would be used this year, although they did not say to what extent. Although they did say it is in a "beta" mode, nothing they have said has contradicted their original statement that it would be in play.

Wallace
November 20th, 2013, 11:47 AM

JSO, they confirmed to me that they are using it. Yes, they have one extremely simple regressive algorithm by a couple of Furman guys as the only official tool to rate the FCS. Incredible, as Massey said. The PFL came out and changed their tie-breaker because the NCAA won't publicly release the results of this SMS until after the selection of the field. So the PFL just ignored it and used their last tie-breaker with only the GPI computers, which indicated Butler who was awarded the AQ. I agree with their ADs that using the GPI computers beats a coin-flip and that only a single rating like the SMS is not a good idea.

bluehenbillk
November 20th, 2013, 01:06 PM
So the PFL just ignored it and used their last tie-breaker with only the GPI computers, which indicated Butler who was awarded the AQ. I agree with their ADs that using the GPI computers beats a coin-flip and that only a single rating like the SMS is not a good idea.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxsmhxxsmhxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

superman7515
November 20th, 2013, 01:43 PM
SMS? Now text messages decide who gets into the playoffs. This gets worse by the minute.

Model Citizen
November 20th, 2013, 01:54 PM
... the NCAA won't publicly release the results of this SMS until after the selection of the field.

Not sure what you mean by "publicly." This would not be a problem if the committee had the SRS this weekend.

And if the SRS is not available to anyone, why announce the AQ, based on mid-week GPI ? Teams that played Butler and Marist have yet to finish their season....this will affect final ratings via strength of schedule. The haste leaves Marist fans with questions.

JayJ79
November 20th, 2013, 02:34 PM
will they have to fill out TPS reports?

Skjellyfetti
November 20th, 2013, 03:14 PM
not sure if srs

citdog
November 20th, 2013, 03:38 PM
http://www.sciway.net/srs-savannah-river-site/i/cooling-tower-k-reactor.jpg

S.R.S.

rokamortis
November 20th, 2013, 03:58 PM
If the committee uses SRS then many fans on here will have PMS

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2013, 04:44 PM
http://smartfootball.com/chase-stuart/the-simple-rating-system-bringing-order-kinda-to-chaos

Just a little info

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

goyotes
November 20th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Here is a link that purports to be the current SRS rankings - http://www.footballperspective.com/non-fbs-college-football-ratings-through-12-weeks/#comment-58538

Twentysix
November 20th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Damn a DII team is #3 in the FCS.

Too bad NDSU isn't #3 under FSU and Alabama, lol.

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Look at Professor Chaos post he has the correct info from the NCAA, I received the same on Facebook today. NCAA doesn't use MOV like is posted by every other. SRS on the internet! they use win loss instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

goyotes
November 20th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Would be way too simple for the NCAA to publish the actual SRS.

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Would be way too simple for the NCAA to publish the actual SRS.

Yes but it is only one of the criterias they may use. http://www.ncaa.com/fcs-selections-101

NCAA Division I Football Championship Selection and Bracketing Principles and Procedures
There are five phases to the championship selection and bracketing process:

Determine the 11 automatic qualifying teams;

Select the 13 best at-large teams;

Seed the top eight teams;

Place the 24 teams into the championship bracket; and

Determine the host sites for the eight first round contests and the eight second round
contests.
General Principles for Selection, Seeding and Bracketing

The Division I Football Championship Committee shall abide by the following principles:

At no point in the process shall a committee member vote for a team the individual represents as an athletics administrator or conference commissioner.

A committee member shall not be present during discussions regarding the selection or seeding of a team the individual represents as an athletics administrator or conference commissioner.

An athletics administrator or conference commissioner is only permitted to answer general and factual questions about teams in his or her conference.

At any time during the process, the committee may consider comparative data of individual teams, including but not limited to overall record, record against Division I opponents, record against opponents from other automatic qualifying conferences, record against Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) opponents, head-to-head record, common opponents record, NCAA Simple Rating System and input from regional advisory committees.

All votes will be by secret ballot.

All selection, seeding and bracketing decisions will require a vote of 70 percent among the committee members present, unless otherwise specified in this document.

All committee meeting discussions, votes, sites, seedings, parings, etc. are strictly confidential and should not be shared with anyone outside of the committee until after the championship bracket announcement, at which time only agreed-upon talking points should be shared.

goyotes
November 20th, 2013, 06:12 PM
I realize that the SRS is not the only criteria, but having the actual SRS numbers would give fans a better feel for what the committee may decide.