PDA

View Full Version : Pope, Edwards, Wiggins earn SoCon weekly honors

HiHiYikas
October 9th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Elon’s Wes Pope was tabbed the Offensive Player of the Week while Appalachian State’s Jeremy Wiggins earned the Defensive Player of the Week honor. Appalachian State’s Armanti Edwards earned the Freshman of the Week award.

On offense, top performers included Appalachian State’s William Mayfield and Wofford’s Andy Strickland.

On defense, Chattanooga’s Wilford Blowe, Elon’s Chad Nkang, Georgia Southern’s John Mohring and Wofford’s James Gonsoulin had impressive performances.

Other notable freshmen were The Citadel’s Andrew Roberts, Chattanooga’s Erroll Wynn, Elon’s Terrell Hudgins, Georgia Southern’s Terrione Benefield and Wofford’s Buck Brown.

It's hard to imagine anyone other than the freshman QB of the best-playing team in the conference winning Freshman of the week for a while.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=640171

SoCon48
October 9th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Elon’s Wes Pope was tabbed the Offensive Player of the Week while Appalachian State’s Jeremy Wiggins earned the Defensive Player of the Week honor. Appalachian State’s Armanti Edwards earned the Freshman of the Week award.

On offense, top performers included Appalachian State’s William Mayfield and Wofford’s Andy Strickland.

On defense, Chattanooga’s Wilford Blowe, Elon’s Chad Nkang, Georgia Southern’s John Mohring and Wofford’s James Gonsoulin had impressive performances.

Other notable freshmen were The Citadel’s Andrew Roberts, Chattanooga’s Erroll Wynn, Elon’s Terrell Hudgins, Georgia Southern’s Terrione Benefield and Wofford’s Buck Brown.

It's hard to imagine anyone other than the freshman QB of the best-playing team in the conference winning Freshman of the week for a while.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=640171

Edwards, a freshman from , , picks up his third-straight Freshman of the Week award after leading Appalachian State to a win over . The quarterback completed 12-of-14 passes for 311 yards and three touchdowns on Saturday, connecting on 11 of his first 12 passes. His .857 completion percentage was the highest by a Mountaineer since Richie Williams completed an NCAA record 40-of-45 passes in a 30-29 win over Furman in 2004. In just four career starts, the true freshman has 906 yards and seven touchdowns.

Pope, a junior from , , threw for a career-high 296 yards and three touchdowns en route to a 37-19 win over on Saturday. The win was the first SoCon victory for the since November 13, 2004. The quarterback tied his career-best with three scores while completing 24-of-33 passes without an interception, including a career-long 62-yard pass to Terrell Hidgins. Pope leads the league in passing yards per game, total offense and is among the leaders in passing efficiency.

Question: Which QB had the better day? Of course they couldn't have given Edwards Player of the Week or else Pope wouldn't have gotten an award snce he isn't a freshman..

gophoenix
October 9th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Pope is doing really well for a player that hasn't played QB for Elon since the Al Seagraves years. Paul Hamilton had him playing Free Safety, Fullback and Tight End the past two seasons. The nice thing is, Pope is now a QB who (when he plays the option) knows how to throw real blocks.

SoCon48
October 9th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Pope is doing really well for a player that hasn't played QB for Elon since the Al Seagraves years. Paul Hamilton had him playing Free Safety, Fullback and Tight End the past two seasons. The nice thing is, Pope is now a QB who (when he plays the option) knows how to throw real blocks.
That is true, but---

Offensive player of the week implies he had the best game of all conf offensive players. Looking at the stats, I'd have to disagree. But they didn't ask for my vote.

October 9th, 2006, 08:31 PM
HOMER ALERT!

SoCon48
October 9th, 2006, 08:43 PM
HOMER ALERT!

GUILTY!!!:o :o :o :nod:

But the facts are true. Which one had the best stats???

gophoenix
October 9th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Offensive player of the week implies he had the best game of all conf offensive players. Looking at the stats, I'd have to disagree. But they didn't ask for my vote.

I thought that it typically meant that a player had an outstanding week compared to others in similar positions and had the greatest impact, as voted on by the .... well, who votes ... is it the media or coaches?

These awards really don't matter, they really don't matter as it is just PR material.

SoCon48
October 9th, 2006, 08:52 PM
I thought that it typically meant that a player had an outstanding week compared to others in similar positions and had the greatest impact, as voted on by the .... well, who votes ... is it the media or coaches?

These awards really don't matter, they really don't matter as it is just PR material.

Impact? WCU is 0-3 Chatt is 1-2
Of course without Pope's outstanding performance, the game could have gone down the terlet. Had Edwards turned in a mediocre perormance, the Apps may have still scraped by.

Voting, I believe is done in-house---SoCon staff. ????

SoCon48
October 9th, 2006, 08:55 PM

Very true. :thumbsup:
But equally true, Edwards is doing well for a kid that has only played in 6 college games at any position. Total.
By all rights, he should be choking and making a few big errors. But hasn't so far.

jamestown
October 9th, 2006, 09:12 PM
hard to understand why there is so much dis-respect towards Pope on this board.

Any time he gets any props from posters - or even outright awards or puts up good numbers there are always posters on here talking about how he's not really that good or doesn't deserve the praise.

October 9th, 2006, 09:29 PM
GUILTY!!!:o :o :o :nod:
But the facts are true. Which one had the best stats???I'll take the guy with 24 completions (leads the league in passing yards per game, total offense and is among the leaders in passing efficiency), all else being equal. BTW, confs pick the POTW for their league.

gophoenix
October 9th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Too bad Edwards chose App over Elon since we were both recruiting him. But then again, we both were recruiting Pope too. So, I guess it worked out. Just wish we could get the running game rolling....

Saint3333
October 9th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I'll take the guy with 24 completions (leads the league in passing yards per game, total offense and is among the leaders in passing efficiency), all else being equal. BTW, confs pick the POTW for their league.

Hey Ralph this is POT WEEK not season. Edwards had better stats, better completion percentage, more yards, equal TD, more rushing yards (all in 3 1/2 quarters BTW) and against a better team.

I really don't care if Pope gets the award, he's a fine player, but there is room for debate giving the numbers of both players.:twocents:

If Edwards had won and Elon fans claimed Pope had just a good of a week, that would be fine too, however I doubt you would have ambushed that thread with claims of "homerism"...

smallcollegefbfan
October 9th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Too bad Edwards chose App over Elon since we were both recruiting him. But then again, we both were recruiting Pope too. So, I guess it worked out. Just wish we could get the running game rolling....

I heard ASU invited Pope to walk on but did not offer him. Pope wanted to go to ASU according to some friends of mine who know that situation.

Either way Edwards is working out for ASU and Pope is working out for Elon. I am glad to see them both doing well.

BULLDOG8180
October 9th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I'll take the guy with 24 completions (leads the league in passing yards per game, total offense and is among the leaders in passing efficiency), all else being equal. BTW, confs pick the POTW for their league.

If Armanti wasn't a freshman, we all know he would be offensive POW.

And BTW if you consider only the games Armanti started (Armanti would lead the league in total offense, passing effiency, and completion percentage.)

ASU Kep
October 9th, 2006, 11:45 PM
I don't have a problem with Armanti not getting POTW. In all honesty, I think William Mayfield deserved it just as much as Armanti did.

You also have to look at the team around these guys. Not to dis Elon, but I think it's fair to say he's been doing what he's doing with less help. Elon/WCU were also much more closely matched then App and UTC were. In all honesty, we could've started our third or fourth string QB with the receivers we have and UTC's sub-par secondary (Chase Laws and Zac Amaedro are our 3+4...both pretty damn good themselves). UTC isn't bad, but their secondary sure is. Coach Moore did a great job of hitting them right in their weak spot. I'll stop rambling...I hope that made some sense...

October 10th, 2006, 12:11 AM
... I doubt you would have ambushed that thread with claims of "homerism"...Hateraid is flowing against me personally from Saint3333 again... :boring: I was being honest and the AGS member admitted it. Your speculation, S3, is just that, IYO. If you want to think I am against your player to hype yourself to your friends on your board it's fine with me if it works for you... but it's not reality. Edwards had a very good game again but throwing 14 times and connecting 12 is not the same as throwing 33 times and connecting 24. That's what I was saying.

Mr. C
October 10th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Pope played QB in each of the last two years and actually started a game at App State in 2004 when Kye Hamilton was injured. He may have played other positions, too, but he also was in the lineup some at QB.

gophoenix
October 10th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Pope played QB in each of the last two years and actually started a game at App State in 2004 when Kye Hamilton was injured. He may have played other positions, too, but he also was in the lineup some at QB.

You're right, he did start against App in 2004 when Kye was hurt. PHam had him at FS most of that season and put him in a QB for that game (which also saw John Taylor and the other descent offensive players hurt), so Pope's performance was a bit limited. Last season he was primarily TE/FB.

After that App game, PHam through a tantrum that was commented on by players in an article recently. "After the game Hamilton got mad and said that he was going to do things his way and stop listening to the media, administration and alumni." Meaning, he was going to play his son from there on out and he did and was canned for it. Man was PHam a bad coach.

gophoenix
October 10th, 2006, 06:47 AM
I heard ASU invited Pope to walk on but did not offer him. Pope wanted to go to ASU according to some friends of mine who know that situation.

Either way Edwards is working out for ASU and Pope is working out for Elon. I am glad to see them both doing well.

Article recently in the Times News said Pope was offered a partial to App but a full at Elon and that is what solidified the decision most likely.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Article recently in the Times News said Pope was offered a partial to App but a full at Elon and that is what solidified the decision most likely.

With Richie Willimas, and Elder and now Edwards, Pope would have been riding the pine or playing on defense at App, too.:eyebrow:

AppGuy04
October 10th, 2006, 07:39 AM

Any time he gets any props from posters - or even outright awards or puts up good numbers there are always posters on here talking about how he's not really that good or doesn't deserve the praise.

Not really, the only thing I have a beef with is Elon fans referring to him as the best QB in the conference. Yes, he has the best stats, but IMO he is not the best QB in the conference.:twocents:

SoCon48
October 10th, 2006, 07:42 AM

I wouldn't. Pope had a lot of "wasted" plays by having to throw so many to get so many. Had Elon been forced into a couple 2 min drills....
Pope averaged 12 yds/completion (still great) but Edwards = 25. Good thing it was vs WCU.
Yeah, I'm a homer, but I think last Saturday, Edwards was the man. And played only 3 quarters.:eyebrow:
Looking at yds per attempt and Pope sinks a bit more. Edwards 22 Pope 9.
Of course the quality of the receivers bears a lot of weight in both players performance.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Where do you see any disrespect?
I think Ralph needs to give you a homer award, too, phonix guy from Jamestown, NC.

No one says Pope isn't good, just that on Saturday, Edwards was a cut above.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Both got quality players and quality individuals.

SoCon48
October 10th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Hey Ralph this is POT WEEK not season. Edwards had better stats, better completion percentage, more yards, equal TD, more rushing yards (all in 3 1/2 quarters BTW) and against a better team.

I really don't care if Pope gets the award, he's a fine player, but there is room for debate giving the numbers of both players.:twocents:

If Edwards had won and Elon fans claimed Pope had just a good of a week, that would be fine too, however I doubt you would have ambushed that thread with claims of "homerism"...

I did feel a little bit "picked on.";)

BigApp
October 10th, 2006, 12:46 PM

awww, now Saint! You and I both now know that "homerism" is only a term used for Appfans! You see, we've got threads on here about a I-AA QB for the Heisman xlolx , and threads on here comparing receivers to the greatest professional receiver of all-time :rolleyes: among many others, but NONE of those are guilty of being homer threads:confused: .

We just gotta learn the rules!

SoCon48
October 10th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Never could figure how ASU earned so much hatred and prejudice.

Saint3333
October 10th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Hateraid is flowing against me personally from Saint3333 again... :boring: I was being honest and the AGS member admitted it. Your speculation, S3, is just that, IYO. If you want to think I am against your player to hype yourself to your friends on your board it's fine with me if it works for you... but it's not reality. Edwards had a very good game again but throwing 14 times and connecting 12 is not the same as throwing 33 times and connecting 24. That's what I was saying.

Hateraid, no more than your dislike of ASU (or at least its fans). BTW It was my opinion therefore I put the two cents icon in there...

You are right about one thing 12 out of 14 (for more yards) isn't the same as 24-33, it is actually better.xlolx

I still can't ignore your posts:confused:

elonphan
October 10th, 2006, 06:40 PM
A couple corrections/clarifications... Pope did not play any quarterback last season. Pope did lead a successful 2 minute drill at the end of the first half getting into field goal position. Unfortunately, the kick was unsuccessfu.

phoenixsq
October 11th, 2006, 12:09 AM
With Richie Willimas, and Elder and now Edwards, Pope would have been riding the pine or playing on defense at App, too.:eyebrow:

Gee we at Elon are not the only one thinks Pope is worthy for consideration as the best QB in the conference even if you think he would "ride" the pines at Boone.:rolleyes: Check out southerpigskin.com

http://www.southernpigskin.com/page.cfm?story=11252&cat=exclusives

Kiss My Apps
October 11th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Gee we at Elon are not the only one thinks Pope is worthy for consideration as the best QB in the conference even if you think he would "ride" the pines at Boone.:rolleyes: Check out southerpigskin.com

"Quarterback Wes Pope pases the conference in passing" is a far cry from saying his is the best QB in the conference.

BeauFoster
October 11th, 2006, 06:02 AM

All that refers to is stats. The only stat worth caring about is W-L.

gophoenix
October 11th, 2006, 09:24 AM
All that refers to is stats. The only stat worth caring about is W-L.

Funny that the crApps say that now when they are in first, when they aren't stats really matter.

AppGuy04
October 11th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Funny that the crApps say that now when they are in first, when they aren't stats really matter.

There haven't been many times in the past 2 years that we haven't been in first.

BeauFoster
October 11th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Hey, all I am saying is that the stats don't always determine the outcome of the game. Look at the App-Elon game. You had a guy with 25 tackles and you got smoked. Your QB passed for 232 yards and 2 TDs and you got smoked. The only stat that wins a game is the final score. That is the one that matters, always. I don't look to yardage gained or lost or penalties or total return yardage or any stat other than the score to make myself feel better and I never have.

SoCon48
October 11th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Umm. And that proves what???? A freakin' stringer gives Pope a little credit and you Elonkers go bonkers!

SoCon48
October 11th, 2006, 12:21 PM

Look, guy, if we wanted stats to boost Edwards, we should have left Edwards in the entire Elon game. Then you would have really seen some stats. I mean, Geez, Moore yanked Edwards faster than an irate mom yanking a crying kid at church!

Armanti threw 13 less passes than the "Pope" but only 39 less yards than Wes.
Too, Edwards ran for 70 yds to Pope's spectacular -1.
To top it off, Edwards led his team to an ass whipping over Elon.

Last but not least, Elder was picked as a pre-seaon All-American and is replaced by Edwards.

gophoenix
October 11th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Last but not least, Elder was picked as a pre-seaon All-American and is replaced by Edwards.

LOL, If Elder could perform he'd be playing. Truth of the matter is, Elder isn't what everyone thought and would be lucky to start on any team in the SoCon. He got lucky last year riding on the coattails of momentum through a great game. The truth about Elder came out this year.

To top it off, Edwards led his team to an ass whipping over Elon.
You guys didn't give us an ass whipping. Ass whipping is what you did last year to us.

Armanti threw 13 less passes than the "Pope" but only 39 less yards than Wes.
Too, Edwards ran for 70 yds to Pope's spectacular -1.

Yeah and? If Pope was behind the App line he'd be posting numbers even better than he has now. But Pope is playing behind freshmen and throwing to freshmen and sophomores. Sure, its an excuse, but sound regardless.

I mean, Geez, Moore yanked Edwards faster than an irate mom yanking a crying kid at church!

Oh yeah? End of the third quarter isn't fast. But then, what can you expect trying to get under people's skin again? You try so hard to do it.

Now JCline and the rest of you crAppers, you can get you panties out of a wad and stop the conspiracy theories on why you guys got "screwed" again.

BeauFoster
October 11th, 2006, 01:28 PM
You guys didn't give us an ass whipping. Ass whipping is what you did last year to us.

Yeah, you are right. We only scored 3 touchdowns in 6 minutes in the second quarter. We couldn't have run that middle route on your secondary all day, either.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2006, 02:00 PM
LOL, If Elder could perform he'd be playing. Truth of the matter is, Elder isn't what everyone thought and would be lucky to start on any team in the SoCon. He got lucky last year riding on the coattails of momentum through a great game. The truth about Elder came out this year.

You are totally clueless. You probably don't have the opportunity to talk to SoCon coaches on a regular basis. But if you did, you would find that most of them honestly think Elder is an outstanding quarterback. Rodney Allison in particularly would love to have Trey on his team and thinks that if he did, that Chattanooga would be a playoff-caliber team. He said just last week that it is "unfair" that Appalachian State has two QBs as good as Edwards and Elder. I guarantee you that Kent Briggs would love to have someone as dependable as Elder, too. In fact, almost all of the coaches in the league obvious thought that Elder was the best QB in the league, heading into the season, because they are the ones who voted him preseason all-conference. They also voted Furman's Reynaldo Gray second team all-conference. What is remarkable is that these two were voted to the all-conference team without being starters the year before. With that in mind, it's safe to say that Elder would start on almost any team in the league. I dare say, he would also start on probably 75% of the I-AA teams throughout the country (a conservative estimate).

So he got lucky last year? No, Elder just did what ASU observers had grown used to seeing from him for two years. He was terrific the year before when he subbed for an injured Richie Williams and put up 41 points on a Texas State team that had virtually the same players defensively that nearly went to the I-AA championship game a year later. I guess he also got lucky leading the storied Byrnes High School team to a state championship and undefeated season his senior year (winning state player of the year honors, BTW). This is a kid that has lost only ONE start in his entire career (prep and college) and that was to North Carolina State, which has an outstanding defense, with several NFL-caliber players. Elder actually had BETTER stats in his championship-game start against Northern Iowa than Richie Williams did. Other than one interception, he play was applauded by his coach.

Another factor that everyone is forgetting about Elder and it is something that Jerry Moore has emphasized in the past two weeks. Elder had shoulder surgery to remove a bone spur in June. It just been in the past two weeks of practice (this is what Moore is saying now) that Elder has been back to 100% health. He has thrown a pair of interceptions in the past two weeks, but Moore said one was because the WR ran the wrong route and the other Moore took the blame for himself for a bad play call. Trey is handling things in a first-class manner, has continued to work hard and I guarantee you that Moore would have NO qualms putting him in to lead a comeback should ASU need it, or (heaven forbid) if Edwards were to get hurt.

Not to dump on Wes Pope, but obviously if ASU only offered him a partial scholarship and offered a full ride to Elder, they thought that Elder was a better player. BTW, there are a lot of second-stringers at Appalachian State right now who would be starting for any other SoCon team. This is a squad that is loaded in talent for a I-AA club.

If you are going to make silly statements, at least base them in some sort of facts.

SoCon48
October 11th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Trey is handling things in a first-class manner, has continued to work hard and I guarantee you that Moore would have NO qualms putting him in to lead a comeback should ASU need it, or (heaven forbid) if Edwards were to get hurt.
That's good to hear, David.

SoCon48
October 11th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Yeah and? If Pope was behind the App line he'd be posting numbers even better than he has now. But Pope is playing behind freshmen and throwing to freshmen and sophomores. Sure, its an excuse, but sound regardless.

Oh yeah? End of the third quarter isn't fast. But then, what can you expect trying to get under people's skin again? You try so hard to do it.

Now JCline and the rest of you crAppers, you can get you panties out of a wad and stop the conspiracy theories on why you guys got "screwed" again.

Oh my, gawd, gp, please put down the crack pipe. Moore could have run up 60+ easily and held Eloan to the one interception TD.

Oh yeah? End of the third quarter isn't fast.
Geez, now you must've gone to shootin' heroin. e.g. UNH kept Santos in a huge romp the other week except for 1 1/2 very short drives in the 4th qtr.

But then, what can you expect trying to get under people's skin again? You try so hard to do itDamn, boy, you think every little comment is meant to rile you up. Newsflash! The whole message board world doesn't revolve around you, Adam!! Get over yourself!!

phoenixsq
October 11th, 2006, 08:57 PM
"Quarterback Wes Pope pases the conference in passing" is a far cry from saying his is the best QB in the conference.

Did you read the rest of the article at bottom of the page:read:? Who said anything about stats? Read the bottom of the page where the writer of SouthernPigskin.com picks Wes Pope, (not Elder or Edwards) midseason First Team SoCon QB. Now these are people who are close to what goes on in the SoCon. You crApp St people win one championship and the whole world revolves around your players. Let's just not go totally homer on us:nonono2: .

BULLDOG8180
October 11th, 2006, 09:15 PM
You are totally clueless. You probably don't have the opportunity to talk to SoCon coaches on a regular basis. But if you did, you would find that most of them honestly think Elder is an outstanding quarterback. Rodney Allison in particularly would love to have Trey on his team and thinks that if he did, that Chattanooga would be a playoff-caliber team. He said just last week that it is "unfair" that Appalachian State has two QBs as good as Edwards and Elder. I guarantee you that Kent Briggs would love to have someone as dependable as Elder, too. In fact, almost all of the coaches in the league obvious thought that Elder was the best QB in the league, heading into the season, because they are the ones who voted him preseason all-conference. They also voted Furman's Reynaldo Gray second team all-conference. What is remarkable is that these two were voted to the all-conference team without being starters the year before. With that in mind, it's safe to say that Elder would start on almost any team in the league. I dare say, he would also start on probably 75% of the I-AA teams throughout the country (a conservative estimate).

So he got lucky last year? No, Elder just did what ASU observers had grown used to seeing from him for two years. He was terrific the year before when he subbed for an injured Richie Williams and put up 41 points on a Texas State team that had virtually the same players defensively that nearly went to the I-AA championship game a year later. I guess he also got lucky leading the storied Byrnes High School team to a state championship and undefeated season his senior year (winning state player of the year honors, BTW). This is a kid that has lost only ONE start in his entire career (prep and college) and that was to North Carolina State, which has an outstanding defense, with several NFL-caliber players. Elder actually had BETTER stats in his championship-game start against Northern Iowa than Richie Williams did. Other than one interception, he play was applauded by his coach.

Another factor that everyone is forgetting about Elder and it is something that Jerry Moore has emphasized in the past two weeks. Elder had shoulder surgery to remove a bone spur in June. It just been in the past two weeks of practice (this is what Moore is saying now) that Elder has been back to 100% health. He has thrown a pair of interceptions in the past two weeks, but Moore said one was because the WR ran the wrong route and the other Moore took the blame for himself for a bad play call. Trey is handling things in a first-class manner, has continued to work hard and I guarantee you that Moore would have NO qualms putting him in to lead a comeback should ASU need it, or (heaven forbid) if Edwards were to get hurt.

Not to dump on Wes Pope, but obviously if ASU only offered him a partial scholarship and offered a full ride to Elder, they thought that Elder was a better player. BTW, there are a lot of second-stringers at Appalachian State right now who would be starting for any other SoCon team. This is a squad that is loaded in talent for a I-AA club.

If you are going to make silly statements, at least base them in some sort of facts.

I knew this was coming!:smiley_wi

AppGuy04
October 11th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Did you read the rest of the article at bottom of the page:read:? Who said anything about stats? Read the bottom of the page where the writer of SouthernPigskin.com picks Wes Pope, (not Elder or Edwards) midseason First Team SoCon QB. Now these are people who are close to what goes on in the SoCon. You crApp St people win one championship and the whole world revolves around your players. Let's just not go totally homer on us:nonono2: .

Got a mirror at your place? Atleast we won a championship. You guys win a couple of GAMES and start proclaiming your QB as all world, even after the ass kickin we put on you.xidiotx

phoenixsq
October 11th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Got a mirror at your place? Atleast we won a championship. You guys win a couple of GAMES and start proclaiming your QB as all world, even after the ass kickin we put on you.xidiotx

First of all we have two back to back championships from NAIA (1980 and 1981, the first of any kind on the collegiate level for North Carolina) and we beat you by 25 years:D :D . Second, we are discussing QBs not who beat who. Get a clue!xidiotx :bang: xidiotx :bang: xidiotx :bang: Third, you said all world, we are just talking SoCon here.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2006, 10:04 PM
So the SouthernPigskin.com folks are suddenly SoCon experts? Do you really know who the guy is that wrote this piece? Can you spell SWAMI? Folks around AGS are probably getting a kick out of Swami being refered to as a SoCon expert.

AppGuy04
October 11th, 2006, 10:12 PM
First of all we have two back to back championships from NAIA (1980 and 1981, the first of any kind on the collegiate level for North Carolina) and we beat you by 25 years:D :D . Second, we are discussing QBs not who beat who. Get a clue!xidiotx :bang: xidiotx :bang: xidiotx :bang: Third, you said all world, we are just talking SoCon here.

NAIA is practically high school football, go ahead and hang your hat on that. I know we are discussing QB's, but if Pope was so good, why could he not score on our first team defense? Hearing you talk, you would think Pope was a God

SoCon48
October 12th, 2006, 03:01 AM

Oh dayum, not that NAIA bull**** again!!!!:bang: :bang:
Next up is the "it doesn't matter because the SoCon is a baseball conference anyway.":rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ElonPride
October 12th, 2006, 04:55 PM
NAIA is practically high school football, go ahead and hang your hat on that. I know we are discussing QB's, but if Pope was so good, why could he not score on our first team defense? Hearing you talk, you would think Pope was a God

Hmmmm.....your comment about NAIA is completly infantile. Even your own on the MBB have said it is a great accomplishment, especially since many of the teams that played in NAIA when both of our schools were there are in I-AA and I-A. Yes it may be high school now, but anyone that knows ANYTHING about college football surely knows how many great athletes went onto the pros from NAIA back in the day. I sometimes read this board and wonder how people like you have any ground to stand on when it comes to talking football.

Back to the topic, Pope is THE best PASSER in the SoCon. Edwards is the better athlete though.....

Damn, did I just give App a compliment? Hell hath frozen ova!!!

Saint3333
October 12th, 2006, 08:07 PM
We are only half way through the season with a TRUE FRESHMAN QB, it might be too early to concede that Pope is the best passer in the SoCon.

AppGuy04
October 12th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Hmmmm.....your comment about NAIA is completly infantile. Even your own on the MBB have said it is a great accomplishment, especially since many of the teams that played in NAIA when both of our schools were there are in I-AA and I-A. Yes it may be high school now, but anyone that knows ANYTHING about college football surely knows how many great athletes went onto the pros from NAIA back in the day. I sometimes read this board and wonder how people like you have any ground to stand on when it comes to talking football.

Back to the topic, Pope is THE best PASSER in the SoCon. Edwards is the better athlete though.....

Damn, did I just give App a compliment? Hell hath frozen ova!!!

do your research, i wasn't even born when u won those championships

I'm supposed to know all about things that happen before I was even an embryo, PLEASE!

gophoenix
October 12th, 2006, 08:29 PM

LOL, talk smack about crApp and you get this type of stuff. Heaven forbid anyone say anything bad about you guys, but you sure can dish it out. Man oh man. Truth is that Elder may be good, but is not playing good ball this year. He may start at UTC, but I doubt he would start many other places in the SoCon at this point giving his ability behind a good line this year.

Oh dayum, not that NAIA bull**** again!!!
If crApp had won championships before being D-I, you know we'd all be hearing about that (and championships are something to be proud of, Delaware has D-II championships ... its called tradition). But you didn't any, end of story and so since you didn't no one elses matter so you have to talk crap to make it seem better for you. Many current I-A and I-AA schools were NAIA when we won those championships. Get off it. A championship on any level is well earned, NAIA, DII, DIII, I-AA or I-A.

You crApp fans complained when NC State fans dumped on your championship. But you see, you do it to everyone else. pot, meet kettle.

it doesn't matter because the SoCon is a baseball conference anyway."

And here we go with your idiocy again. The SoCon _IS_ a baseball conference AND a football conference. End of story, NEXT comment JCline? The SoCon is better at baseball overall nationally than it is at football nationally with all of D-I combined.

NAIA is practically high school football,
NAIA now and NAIA 25 years ago are two totally different landscapes from one another. NAIA 25 years ago is basically what D-II is now, as most of the D-II schools now were NAIA then. D-II had very little representation in the South, mid-atlantic, most of the midwest and southwest at that time period. There's lots of history about the NAIA and D-II that is missing in the eyes of college football fans. We all love to complain about being dissed by I-A fans not knowing anything about I-AA, but until we in I-AA start recognizing D-II for a strong division for what it offers, then we can just all call ourselves hipocrits.

Who cares if you were born or not. Most of history happened before you were born, but that give you an excuse for not having to know anything before your birth day?

We are only half way through the season with a TRUE FRESHMAN QB, it might be too early to concede that Pope is the best passer in the SoCon.

Yes and Edwards looks like a great QB, no doubt. But Edwards is also playing behind a bigger, older line; older more mature receivers; and with a team that has a line that allows the run gain to open up. There's plenty more reason for him to be doing well as opposed to Pope. But Pope and Elon are overcoming lots of odds to do as well as they are, and that is a true testiment to Pope and the coaching staff given the situation as a whole. We play with 3 freshman OL, a sophomore TB, a QB in his 6th start and not playing QB for almost 1 1/2 season, and 1 junior 1 soph and the rest freshmen receivers. So if you want to talk "true freshman" and age, lets look at the big picture here.

Why are you guys so super-sensitive about App, heaven forbin anyone else in the conference, especially Elon or Wofford, do anything better just one time or get better at all without you guys flying off the handle about it all.

Saint3333
October 12th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I believe referring to Appalachian State University as crap could be considered smack, move along GP, your jealousy is annoying...

Appdad
October 12th, 2006, 09:03 PM
GP does have a point in that AE has one heck of a team around him. That is something most I-AA QB's don't have. If I was AE I would be thanking my lucky stars to be in this situation. He could be running for his life at another program.

That being said, I don't think that affects the POTW argument.

phoenixsq
October 12th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I believe referring to Appalachian State University as crap could be considered smack, move along GP, your jealousy is annoying...

Your arrogance is annoying. We cannot even discuss the remote possiblity with you people that a kid who was named SoCon Player of the Week, has more passing yards than any other QB in the conference, and is ranked nationally in several catagories is possibly the best QB in the conference. My brother GP, keep preachin':thumbsup:

ElonPride
October 12th, 2006, 09:19 PM

I'm supposed to know all about things that happen before I was even an embryo, PLEASE!

I was 3 when we won our first title, but I know a crap load about college football in the years before my life... That was a poor comeback man. Once again, how in the heck do you have any ground to stand on when talking football. PLEASE! WOW!

Appdad
October 12th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I was 3 when we won our first title, but I know a crap load about college football in the years before my life... That was a poor comeback man. Once again, how in the heck do you have any ground to stand on when talking football. PLEASE! WOW!

Hey, take your HP medicine and please act like the adult you supposedly are. Remember, it is better show the younger ones how to act like a gentleman even if you are upset.

Saint3333
It is week 7. I'll be happy to compare numbers at the end of the season. Hopefully Edwards will have 11 total games, hopefully 13 :smiley_wi.

Just imagine if he would have played passed the 7:00 minute mark in the Elon or UTC game.

Anyway Pope is a good QB and as of now his season stats are higher than Edwards. Congrats to Pope on POTW, good luck against GSU.

ElonPride
GP does have a point in that AE has one heck of a team around him. That is something most I-AA QB's don't have. If I was AE I would be thanking my lucky stars to be in this situation. He could be running for his life at another program.

That being said, I don't think that affects the POTW argument.

Edwards looks to be a great athlete. Like I said, Pope is the best PASSER, Edwards is the better athlete.:nod:

ElonPride
October 12th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Hey, take your HP medicine and please act like the adult you supposedly are. Remember, it is better show the younger ones how to act like a gentleman even if you are upset.

You make a good point, and also put me in my place! If you were ALWAYS on the receving end of the crap talk (no matter what your school has done in other sports), wouldn't you be a tad defensive?:)

Saint3333
October 12th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Pope throws the ball a little low, at least he did vs. ASU. That typically indicates the QB is worried about the INT. That doesn't give the WR to get a lot of YAC. Elon has a solid WR #19 I think??? who would benefit from the ball being thrown at the numbers or in stride.

Edwards is hitting his WRs on the run as evidenced by the YPC. It is not a cut and dry one is a better passer than the other.

Of course I've only seen one Pope game and I'm sure the Elon fans have only seen one Edwards game (maybe two if you get the U).

HiHiYikas
October 12th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I had no idea this thread would spin so far out of control once it started. Both Pope and Edwards are having great seasons, and both are deserving of whatever accolades they're getting.

An interesting note about Edwards - he's played in 6 games and only has 88 passing attempts - which totals 14.667 attempts per game. That's after starting the season with Elder ostensibly at the helm, finding himself the new starter, and playing a number of games so one-sided, third-stringer Chase Laws has seen action (after getting Elder some time, of course).

QB's need 15 completions a game to be included among conference leaders. That means Edwards needs at least 17 completions Saturday against Wofford to officially become the SoCon leader in passing efficiency (68.18%), Yards per attempt (10.3), and QB rating (174.1).

Edwards accounts for 57.1% of ASU's passing attempts. Pope accounts for 95.7% of Elon's passing attempts.

If Edwards had 95.7% of ASU's attempts (143 instead of 88), and his efficiency totals remained somewhat steady (they likely wouldn't be, but I'm not certain how to adjust them appropriately) he'd be somewhere around 1470 passing yards, and 11 or so TD's. I'm not sure how to best extrapolate what his rushing totals might be, but it seems safe to say he'd be closer than he already is to the top of the conference in total offense.

I know there are a million different ways the season could have unfolded, and there are some holes in the methodology. I'm just trying to demonstrate a few reasons why some people believe Edwards could be the best QB in the SoCon. I'm trying to do that objectively and without namecalling.

Anyway, I'm not sure whether Edwards is better than Pope or not, since their circumstances are so different. I certainly don't disagree with the Player & Freshman OTW choices (I was so pleased, in fact, I posted the article in the first place).