PDA

View Full Version : Furman Citadel

OL FU
October 9th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Here is one Bulldog8180 can appreciate.

All the FU people talk about Georgia Southern and Appalachian, but for us old timers this one is special.

FU and the Dogs rivalry kicked up after WWII when Clemson and USC left Furman behind and was the biggest rivalry for Furman probably until GSU moved into the conference.

First game 1913
This year will be the 86th time played.
Oldest Active SoCon series.
Furman leads the series 53-29-3

Lots of history on and off the field complete with graffitti, fights, and horses getting mutilated (an urban legend?)

Don't let anybody fool you. For Furman fans, this is the team we don't want to lose to.

and since this is not the smack board
Go Furman, Beat the Bellhops:D

dungeonjoe
October 9th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Here is one Bulldog8180 can appreciate.

All the FU people talk about Georgia Southern and Appalachian, but for us old timers this one is special.

FU and the Dogs rivalry kicked up after WWII when Clemson and USC left Furman behind and was the biggest rivalry for Furman probably until GSU moved into the conference.

First game 1913
This year will be the 86th time played.
Oldest Active SoCon series.
Furman leads the series 53-29-3

Lots of history on and off the field complete with graffitti, fights, and horses getting mutilated (an urban legend?)

Don't let anybody fool you. For Furman fans, this is the team we don't want to lose to.

and since this is not the smack board
Go Furman, Beat the Bellhops:D

I have said on these boards before that some of the best football games I have seen have been FU/Citadel games--- at the old Sirrine (sp) stadium.

classic goal line stands with no time on the clock.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Coastal89
October 9th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Last year sure was a good one.

Go Furman

I'd guess FU by 21

Edit
But I said FU by 50 last week so what do I know.

citdog
October 9th, 2006, 06:20 PM
This is not the same Citadel team that Furman beat in three overtimes last season in Charleston. This team is much better, the QB Fu faced last season is not even in the school anymore and Cadet Lawson is just starting to understand his potential. If the game was being played where the soil is rich rather than good for nothing red clay i'd say the 'Dogs would win but as it is in G-Vegas i think it is a toss up, but i'll go with my 'Dogs over the Baptist Religious Fanatics

24-21

matfu
October 9th, 2006, 07:05 PM
..that was a houdini act for us last year winning in 3 overtimes

AppGuy04
October 9th, 2006, 07:26 PM
fu should win comfortably

Death Dealer
October 9th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I hear you OL. This is an oldy but goody.....I remember when Pat Conroy gave the commencement speech at my graduation back in '90, he said that when he was a cadet they loved to hate Furman.

My pledge class kidnapped our pledge master right after hell week and took him to Charleston, made him strip (not easy-took some mild violence), and handcuffed him to a bench in battery park. All we left him with was a 5 dollar bill, a pair of socks, a pair of tighty-whiteys, and a citadel t-shirt.xlolx (the stupid things you do when your 18). To this day, I think he was more pissed off about having to wear the Citadel t-shirt than anything else.:nod:

CoastalFan2005
October 9th, 2006, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't want to be on the team Furman has to play this weekend. I'll take the Paladins to win. Good luck, Furman! :nod:

Death Dealer
October 9th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Four of my best friends in the world did their four years at El Cid. And we love nothing better then getting together on game day, having a few too many, and telling each other what a bunch of p^$$*'s the other sides teams are. We talk so much smack back and forth it rediculous. But it's all just good old fun.:D Rivalries like this take years to develop.....It's like the Clemson/Carolina thing (only with two good teams), even if your having a bad year, you get up for this game, and you expect to win.

ASU Kep
October 9th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I too would not want to be the team Furman is facing this week either. Not to knock CCU, but I think last weekend was something of an abberation. I myself wouldn't be liking the prospect of having to tackle what should be one very upset J-Train this weekend.

The rivalry keeps it closer then it would be otherwise, but Furman rolls comfortably 35-17. No more looking ahead to 10.28.

AndrewFU21
October 9th, 2006, 11:32 PM
For the Paladins, the playoffs have already started. Every game has to be a win from here on out. Hopefully the boys will be pumped up and give a much better effort this week.

ASU Kep
October 9th, 2006, 11:39 PM
As long as Furman's only other loss is to us, ya'll will still be a lock for the play-offs. Unless ya'll win out and UNH/Montana/CP lose, your probably not in conention for a seed anyways after the CCU loss.

OL FU
October 10th, 2006, 07:00 AM
This is not the same Citadel team that Furman beat in three overtimes last season in Charleston. This team is much better, the QB Fu faced last season is not even in the school anymore and Cadet Lawson is just starting to understand his potential. If the game was being played where the soil is rich rather than good for nothing red clay i'd say the 'Dogs would win but as it is in G-Vegas i think it is a toss up, but i'll go with my 'Dogs over the Baptist Religious Fanatics

24-21

Citdog,

have you ever predicted the Citadel to lose a game or does that violate the honor code:smiley_wi

citdog
October 10th, 2006, 07:05 AM
I have thought that we might lose every now and again, but what's the fun of thinking like that?

LarryBoy
October 10th, 2006, 07:11 AM
If we win out, that means we beat App, knocking App out of contention for a seed; that would make Furman a pretty logical #4 seed (though that is by no means a lock).

OL FU
October 10th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I have thought that we might lose every now and again, but what's the fun of thinking like that?

Has to be disturbing to wrong 70% of the time. :p :D

PaladinFan
October 10th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Citadel plays us tough every year. Like I said in an earlier post, there was no team better prepared for Ingle Martin last year than the bulldogs. Not even close.

OL FU, those things are not Urban legends apparently. In Pat Conroy's book [I]My Losing Season[I] he goes into some detail about Cadets trying to steal the Paladin mount, and then having to put him down after he became injured. I believe it is chapter 17 and entitled "Furman Paladins."

The seeds will take care of themselves. We got screwed out of a seed last year and did alright, so I'm not too worried.

thirdgendin
October 10th, 2006, 11:06 AM
This game is usually very close in Charleston, but the last three games in Greenville have all been blowouts.

It appears that this year's Citadel team is much-improved so I don't expect another blowout this time around.

BULLDOG8180
October 10th, 2006, 11:21 AM
I have said on these boards before that some of the best football games I have seen have been FU/Citadel games--- at the old Sirrine (sp) stadium.

classic goal line stands with no time on the clock.

I am still haunted by one of those, in 1978. And please don't mention 1979.:bawling:

The Dude
October 10th, 2006, 11:41 AM
I think if our guys come out fired up, then we'll get the job done. But now is definitely not the time to underestimate any opponent (especially after the triple overtime last year).

PaladinFan
October 10th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Can I also make mention that was the most miserable game to sit through. High up in a torn apart Johnson Haygood on a hot day in Charleston. I couldn't even talk during half time.

MarkCCU
October 10th, 2006, 12:15 PM
I gotta pull for Furman. If it's in Charleston this weekend, i may just go. Any AGS posters meeting up?

AndrewFU21
October 10th, 2006, 12:34 PM
I gotta pull for Furman. If it's in Charleston this weekend, i may just go. Any AGS posters meeting up?

You'll be the only one there then;)

The game is up here in the Upstate, and with Family Weekend it should be a good crowd. What kind of contingent does Citadel usually bring?

After listening to some old FU guys, and reading Pat Conroy, it really is a shame that this rivalry has really died down. If you took a poll of Furman students as to our biggest rival, probably 90% will say either ASU or GSU depending on the year.

MarkCCU
October 10th, 2006, 02:31 PM
You'll be the only one there then;)

The game is up here in the Upstate, and with Family Weekend it should be a good crowd. What kind of contingent does Citadel usually bring?

After listening to some old FU guys, and reading Pat Conroy, it really is a shame that this rivalry has really died down. If you took a poll of Furman students as to our biggest rival, probably 90% will say either ASU or GSU depending on the year.
ha. i didn't say i was going tobe there, i asked if it was in the Chuck.
edited: removed my clearly stated guess

PaladinFan
October 10th, 2006, 02:33 PM
They have a lot of alumni all over the state.

Dabnus Brickey
October 10th, 2006, 03:59 PM
The Citadel has a huge fan base too. Don't they have a legendary alumni base?

FU will roll in this one. 42-17

BULLDOG8180
October 10th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't say we have a huge fan base, but we have loyal alumni- and we used to be all men! But we only graduate about 400 per year. But I would guess we have less than 20,000 living alumni. The ones that will be in Greenville will make lots of noise. I, however, hope it is the football team making all the noise.

BULLDOG8180
October 10th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Can I also make mention that was the most miserable game to sit through. High up in a torn apart Johnson Haygood on a hot day in Charleston. I couldn't even talk during half time.

If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen.:D

PaladinFan
October 11th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Really, people, if this game is a blowout I'll be shocked.

furman94
October 11th, 2006, 06:54 AM
I wouldn't want to be on the team Furman has to play this weekend. I'll take the Paladins to win. Good luck, Furman! :nod:
Thanks!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

El_Cid_99
October 11th, 2006, 08:58 AM
We had a solid turnout of fans at Wofford last weekend. I know a lot of people from Charleston made the trip. There are lots of alumni in the Upstate, so I would imagine you'll see a lot of Citadel blue in the stands on Saturday.

One of my classmates is getting married that day, so I won't be there.. Who does that during football season??? :bang:

PaladinFan
October 11th, 2006, 09:11 AM
My parents got married on Florida/Georgia. Crazy.

citdog
October 11th, 2006, 09:47 AM
markccu shows his ignorance on this site daily. Check the I-AA attendance statistics and the Socon stats and you will see that The Citadel is always at or near the top. a big crowd saw the CCU-FU game last week. a big crowd of about 7500 people. We had 13k for the Chatt game and usually have 17 or 18k for Parent's day and homecoming. We are a school of 1900 Cadets other schools in our conference have many, many, many, more students and don't draw HALF of what we do, ie; Chatt, WCU, Furman, etc

btw the bellhops crap is very old and tired can't you Baptists come up with anything new?

CoastalFan2005
October 11th, 2006, 09:55 AM
a big crowd saw the CCU-FU game last week. a big crowd of about 7500 people.

Actually, you're wrong...a total of 10,013 people were present at the CCU vs. FU game this past weekend, which is a new attendance record for CCU. It might not be 13k, but based on the actual seating capacity of our stadium, it's pretty impressive. :nod:

OL FU
October 11th, 2006, 09:56 AM
markccu shows his ignorance on this site daily. Check the I-AA attendance statistics and the Socon stats and you will see that The Citadel is always at or near the top. a big crowd saw the CCU-FU game last week. a big crowd of about 7500 people. We had 13k for the Chatt game and usually have 17 or 18k for Parent's day and homecoming. We are a school of 1900 Cadets other schools in our conference have many, many, many, more students and don't draw HALF of what we do, ie; Chatt, WCU, Furman, etc

btw the bellhops crap is very old and tired can't you Baptists come up with anything new?

Hard to improve on perfection.

:p

PaladinFan
October 11th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Furman averaged around 12k last year. Half of 18k would be 9. Parents weekend is this week. Should be a big crowd.

OL FU
October 11th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Furman averaged around 12k last year. Half of 18k would be 9. Parents weekend is this week. Should be a big crowd.

Citadel Math:nod:

MarkCCU
October 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM

I was saying for traveling, i wasn't sure but kind of doubt y'all have a large travelng fan base. youjust don't here much bout it...and aren't freshman required to attend home games? i don't claim to know everything, i thought i posted the words "i think" in regards to y'all. ****in prick

MarkCCU
October 11th, 2006, 12:00 PM
We had a solid turnout of fans at Wofford last weekend. I know a lot of people from Charleston made the trip. There are lots of alumni in the Upstate, so I would imagine you'll see a lot of Citadel blue in the stands on Saturday.

One of my classmates is getting married that day, so I won't be there.. Who does that during football season??? :bang:

xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

Death Dealer
October 11th, 2006, 12:58 PM
We are a school of 1900 Cadets other schools in our conference have many, many, many, more students and don't draw HALF of what we do, ie; Chatt, WCU, Furman, etc

First of all, leave us out of your little pissing match....we didn't say a word about your fanbase. And anyway, we have about 3500 students, far from many, many, many more than you cadets.

As far as the bellhop cracks go...why change a good thing! xidiotx Based on your comment, it seems to be having the desired effect. :smiley_wi xlolx :nod: xlolx

FUwolfpacker
October 11th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I'm pretty sure we don't even have 3500 students. Undergrad is closer to 2500 I believe (at least it was last year when I was there). I'm not sure how many it is with grad students, but I don't think it's above 3000 (2800+ maybe?).

BULLDOG8180
October 11th, 2006, 10:05 PM
First of all, leave us out of your little pissing match....we didn't say a word about your fanbase. And anyway, we have about 3500 students, far from many, many, many more than you cadets.

As far as the bellhop cracks go...why change a good thing! xidiotx Based on your comment, it seems to be having the desired effect. :smiley_wi xlolx :nod: xlolx

Bellhop may be funny, but not as funny as the girl (rather large and ugly, I might add) on the horse that used to ride the sidelines. She doesn't still do that does she??.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Death Dealer
October 11th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Bellhop may be funny, but not as funny as the girl (rather large and ugly, I might add) on the horse that used to ride the sidelines. She doesn't still do that does she??.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Hey that was my sister! Just kidding.xlolx Thank God no. I have a much worse one than her....we have a guy that decks out in full armour. Once, during the opening festivities, he comes flying down the field, and BOOM...down he goes....guy nearly killed himself! Talk about not getting the desired effect!

You don't like bellhops though? Really? You gotta admit you guys do look a little like bellhops. Anyway, that's better than calling you penises with ears!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Of course, I guess that wouldn't apply to the cadets on yeast roll patrol.xlolx xlolx xlolx

bustingnut
October 11th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Citadel by the tops of their snazy hats 31 to 29

citdog
October 12th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I still hate DINGLEBERRY MARTIN!

FUwolfpacker
October 12th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I still hate DINGLEBERRY MARTIN!

Why:eyebrow: ?! Until he left the game last year, you guys were beating us!:nod:

bustingnut
October 12th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Dingleberry is a terrific metaphor for that guy! he just sort of hung in there, and when you least expected it would swing that momentum. Good job putting that into words.