PDA

View Full Version : Status of Wins over HBU, ACU + UIW

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Just to clarify since it repeatedly comes up and there are a lot of people still getting it wrong.

Houston Baptist is a non-classified program this year in football. They do not count as an NCAA Division I win in the sport of football. This year does not count towards any of their players' eligibility, so essentially a redshirt for all. The only exception is that it does count against a player's five-year window after graduating high school. In recent years, only South Alabama has played a similar schedule in their first year of competition. It should also be noted since they are non-classified, that this year does not count towards APR purposes.

Further, HBU counts as an NCAA Division I across all other sports since they completed transition previously. Football is the lone exception. They will be Division I next year from a football standpoint.

Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word are transitional programs and do not count as an NCAA Division I win across all sports including football.

The Southland is only making teams play them once each in basketball, volleyball, etc. due to NCAA limitations on non-Division I games as it relates to earning at-large bids in NCAA tournaments. In baseball and softball, each SLC school is playing a three-game series vs. one of the two schools, not both. ACU + UIW are playing home-and-home in all those sports in order to get more games. Next year, these schools count as Division I schools across the board, though ineligible for postseason per transitional rules.

I hope this puts an end to all the misinformation being posted on these boards and elsewhere.

End of the day - NONE of the above schools count as Division I wins this year in football.

Catatonic
November 18th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Well, at least ACU did not cost anyone a trip to the FCS playoffs because of our non-counter transitional status. We did not play any eligible SLC teams and Illinois State's W over us would not have been enough for them to qualify.

Transitional rules suck--it has currently handicapped our ability to recruit. A tip of the ten gallon hat to UCA for the success they enjoyed in their transition despite not being eligible for the playoffs or the SLC championship. We are having a rougher time recruiting in football at least.

We look forward to playing a full SLC football schedule next year. Based on the current Sagarin ratings, we should fit in the middle of the pack, just behind SLU, McNeese, Sam and UCA.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

I expect us to be competitive in women's basketball, men's and women's Tennis, Golf and baseball. Our track program is down right now, but watch out for us in a couple of years. Our new coaches have our track and cross country programs headed in the right direction in a sport where we have been dominate historically.

We just finished volleyball and women's soccer. Volleyball has a ways to go to be competitive at the D1 level. Soccer more than held its own. Softball...not sure. Men's basketball....we have a long way to go. Probably near the bottom of the SLC for now.

Twentysix
November 18th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Well, at least ACU did not cost anyone a trip to the FCS playoffs because of our non-counter transitional status. We did not play any eligible SLC teams and Illinois State's W over us would not have been enough for them to qualify.

Transitional rules suck--it has currently handicapped our ability to recruit. A tip of the ten gallon hat to UCA for the success they enjoyed in their transition despite not being eligible for the playoffs or the SLC championship. We are having a rougher time recruiting in football at least.

We look forward to playing a full SLC football schedule next year. Based on the current Sagarin ratings, we should fit in the middle of the pack, behind SLU, McNeese, Sam and UCA and slightly ahead of the rest.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Yeah UCA did a good job. I remember them as the other successful D-II transitional team at the time when we were transitioning.