PDA

View Full Version : A 7-5 MVFC team will make the playoffs

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2013, 07:13 AM
You heard it here first.

RabidRabbit
November 18th, 2013, 08:00 AM
The only team at 7-5 that could be Sagarin justified would be the 8th place UNI, 3-5 in MVFC standings. I seriously doubt that a team that didn't finish in the top 1/2 of the conference would be selected. Although, an FBS (BCS) win, and a decisive win over a likely seeded team (McNeese) may be enough.

The only other case would be SDSU, but other than the W over SELA, no good wins over the teams above them.

SIU can't get to the 7 D-I wins. YSU would be 9-3, and in (wins game vs SDSU).

MVFC gets 2 teams in if YSU wins Sat., 3 if SDSU wins.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 08:17 AM
You heard it here first.

No way a 7-5 team not from the CAA gets gets picked by the committee.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 08:27 AM
The only team at 7-5 that could be Sagarin justified would be the 8th place UNI, 3-5 in MVFC standings. I seriously doubt that a team that didn't finish in the top 1/2 of the conference would be selected. Although, an FBS (BCS) win, and a decisive win over a likely seeded team (McNeese) may be enough.

The only other case would be SDSU, but other than the W over SELA, no good wins over the teams above them.

SIU can't get to the 7 D-I wins. YSU would be 9-3, and in (wins game vs SDSU).

MVFC gets 2 teams in if YSU wins Sat., 3 if SDSU wins.

Seven D1 wins are a guideline not a hard and fast rule. Definitely will put the committee on the spot if the MVC has 3 7-5 teams, especially since the CAA would get one in the same position.

UNI would have the best OOC, SDSU beat 9-2 SELA, SIU beat UNI and SDSU on the road...

It will be a joke of the MVC only gets two in while the considerably weaker Big Sky gets the four they think they deserve...the good news for the committee is that YSU is overrated and has been exposed some. Zenner should run wild this week and save their asses.

kalm
November 18th, 2013, 08:27 AM
A 7-5 UNI should get in over a 9-3 OVC, but it ain't gonna happen.

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Even if they lose to NAU, Southern Utah will get in before UNI. Very similar resume's but SUU has one more win and a winning record in conference.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 08:34 AM
If UNI, SDSU and SIU do finish 7-5 their conference ranking would be: 3rd place-SIU(5-3), 4th place- SDSU(4-4), 5th place-UNI(3-5), with SIU being the only one to finish above the preseason prediction of 7th place. NDSU made the playoffs three years ago with a 4-4 conference record and made a deep run. (Bill Fette:D).

Would the committee have the balls to a)pick a 7-5 team not from the CAA and b) bypass an SIU team that beat SDSU on the road to pick SDSU?

KUlawJack
November 18th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Even if they lose to NAU, Southern Utah will get in before UNI. Very similar resume's but SUU has one more win and a winning record in conference.

IF SUU doesn't beat NAU, SUU has nothing on there resume justifying an at-large berth. I don't think UNI gets in either at 7-5, and UNI has two wins that are much better than SUU's best win against a struggling Montana State team. SactoHornetFan pointed out that SUU does have a win over South Alabama. That is a decent win.

If SUU doesn't beat NAU, they would have one win against a team with a winning record and an FBS. Compare that to UNI, with 3 wins over teams with a winning record and an FBS.

SactoHornetFan
November 18th, 2013, 08:53 AM
IF SUU doesn't beat NAU, SUU has nothing on there resume justifying an at-large berth. I don't think UNI gets in either at 7-5, and UNI has two wins that are much better than SUU's best win against a struggling Montana State team.

An FBS win isn't anything on their resume? xeyebrowx

Bisonator
November 18th, 2013, 08:55 AM
If UNI, SDSU and SIU do finish 7-5 their conference ranking would be: 3rd place-SIU(5-3), 4th place- SDSU(4-4), 5th place-UNI(3-5), with SIU being the only one to finish above the preseason prediction of 7th place. NDSU made the playoffs three years ago with a 4-4 conference record and made a deep run. (Bill Fette:D).

Would the committee have the balls to a)pick a 7-5 team not from the CAA and b) bypass an SIU team that beat SDSU on the road to pick SDSU?

Agreed. I think SDSU beats YSU this weekend and those 2 get in but if they happen to lose I could see SIU getting in at 7-5.

KUlawJack
November 18th, 2013, 08:58 AM
An FBS win isn't anything on their resume? xeyebrowx

My apologies. I guess that is a decent win. Still nothing better than UNI's resume, IMO.

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2013, 09:22 AM
My apologies. I guess that is a decent win. Still nothing better than UNI's resume, IMO.

3-5 conference record will be their downfall.

Also, if YSU loses this weekend, why should they get in? SUU would have a better resume than YSU and same record.

KUlawJack
November 18th, 2013, 09:52 AM
3-5 conference record will be their downfall.

Also, if YSU loses this weekend, why should they get in? SUU would have a better resume than YSU and same record.

They'd had the same issues as SUU. I don't know if they'd get in either. Lots of 8-4 teams down the stretch potentially.

This may be where strength of schedule could be the deciding factor.

WileECoyote06
November 18th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Agreed. I think SDSU beats YSU this weekend and those 2 get in but if they happen to lose I could see SIU getting in at 7-5.

Agreed. And I think this is exactly what is going to happen. As someone else said, the MVFC is the #1 rated conference in FCS by both Sagarin and Massey. The Big Sky is #5 in Massey and #6 in Sagarin. Hard to justify four teams from a conference rated that much lower, while the top conference only gets two teams.

JSUBison
November 18th, 2013, 10:28 AM
You guys are forgetting to account for D2 games, so their records aren't quite what they seem. SUU played one, SIU played one as well. A 7-5 SIU with a D2 win doesn't look as good as UNI's 7-5 and their resume with how good they did OOC, even with UNI going 3-5 in conference. Even with the H2H, if it came down to picking SIU or UNI, I think the committee picks UNI. Even with the D2 that SUU played, I think if they and YSU both finish 8-4, that SUU has a better resume. Who knows how the committee will view it though.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 10:52 AM
You guys are forgetting to account for D2 games, so their records aren't quite what they seem. SUU played one, SIU played one as well. A 7-5 SIU with a D2 win doesn't look as good as UNI's 7-5 and their resume with how good they did OOC, even with UNI going 3-5 in conference. Even with the H2H, if it came down to picking SIU or UNI, I think the committee picks UNI. Even with the D2 that SUU played, I think if they and YSU both finish 8-4, that SUU has a better resume. Who knows how the committee will view it though.

The dome could be the decider in this scenario. However, if you bring in UNI with 5 conference losses that is tantamount to admitting that the MVC is so strong that they deserve as many teams as the Big Sky and the CAA. Arguably true this year in a conference with only one gimmee..

clenz
November 18th, 2013, 11:00 AM
The dome could be the decider in this scenario. However, if you bring in UNI with 5 conference losses that is tantamount to admitting that the MVC is so strong that they deserve as many teams as the Big Sky and the CAA. Arguably true this year in a conference with only one gimmee..
That UNI didn't play...

Replace ISUr with ISUb and UNI is currently 7-4 and 4-4 in conference.

But that isn't the case and UNI needs to kick the **** out of WIU this weekend and take care of what they can.

dbackjon
November 18th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Agreed. And I think this is exactly what is going to happen. As someone else said, the MVFC is the #1 rated conference in FCS by both Sagarin and Massey. The Big Sky is #5 in Massey and #6 in Sagarin. Hard to justify four teams from a conference rated that much lower, while the top conference only gets two teams.

Conference affiliation means nothing for playoff picks, when it comes to at-large.

And strength of schedule is over-rated - especially when you have a situation like the MVFC.

Got major points for beating Kansas State (NDSU) and Iowa State/McNeese State (UNI). Then UNI got decimated by injuries, allowing a number of weaker teams to beat them, and get the SOS benefit from UNI's great wins.

Also, helped by scheduling (even if in loss) to a very good EIU team.

dbackjon
November 18th, 2013, 11:05 AM

Just because you keep repeating something doesn't make it true.

MVFC has two good teams (NDSU and pre-injury UNI). The rest are average.

FargoBison
November 18th, 2013, 11:15 AM

The same thing could be said about the Big Sky minus EWU.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Conference affiliation means nothing for playoff picks, when it comes to at-large.

And strength of schedule is over-rated - especially when you have a situation like the MVFC.

Got major points for beating Kansas State (NDSU) and Iowa State/McNeese State (UNI). Then UNI got decimated by injuries, allowing a number of weaker teams to beat them, and get the SOS benefit from UNI's great wins.

Bull****. Conference affiliation means something to the committee whether its supposed to or not. That's how the CAA got 5. And UNI wasn't "decimated" when we beat them. They had lost Farley and Johnson was dinged.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 11:23 AM

I guess if anybody should know average it would be an NAU fan...

frozennorth
November 18th, 2013, 11:25 AM

so your saying the MVFC is only good because we beat good teams? BTW iowa state isn't very good and isn't doing much to prop up the mvfc, seeing as there are 6 conference teams rated ahead of them. (NDSU UNI YSU SDSU MSU SIU)

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Nau would lose to every team in the MVC except for maybe Indiana State.

clenz
November 18th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Bull****. Conference affiliation means something to the committee whether its supposed to or not. That's how the CAA got 5. And UNI wasn't "decimated" when we beat them. They had lost Farley and Johnson was dinged.
Keep telling yourself that.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 11:28 AM

That's what I would say to if I were in your position..

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Keep telling yourself that.

I knew that would smoke you out...

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2013, 11:31 AM

xrolleyesx While you're at it, tell us about how tough your defense's are.

(P.S. - check NAU's schedule).

clenz
November 18th, 2013, 11:35 AM
I knew that would smoke you out...
If that's what you want to believe...then so be it.

dbackjon
November 18th, 2013, 11:40 AM

Since we have already beaten South Dakota, this post shows how little in touch with reality you are ;)

frozennorth
November 18th, 2013, 11:42 AM
xrolleyesx While you're at it, tell us about how tough your defense's are.

(P.S. - check NAU's schedule).

our 2nd string conference cupcake held MIGHTY NAU to 22 points? Thanks for pointing that out.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2013, 11:44 AM
our 2nd string conference cupcake held MIGHTY NAU to 22 points? Thanks for pointing that out.

The second string cupcake which is the basis for YSU's inclusion?

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2013, 11:44 AM

"Our"? Aren't you the same guy that says "We" about UND on Siouxsports?

Congratulations on holding NAU to 22 points. Maybe the committee will take it into account.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 11:46 AM

But they did it on the road so its more impressive than rolling up 460 yards on Montana..:D

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 11:49 AM
If that's what you want to believe...then so be it.

Get over yourself, everybody has injuries. NDSU lost two of their best defenders and still piss pounded YSU. If you don't have any depth then you're not the juggernaut you keep telling us about. Every year. Ad nauseum.

clenz
November 18th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Get over yourself, everybody has injuries. NDSU lost two of their best defenders and still piss pounded YSU. If you don't have any depth then you're not the juggernaut you keep telling us about. Every year. Ad nauseum.
SIU fans are the ones that start every season talking about injuries and how bad they are.

UNI also beat YSU.....

With a back up QB, a running back that has played LB for 2 years, and everything else...

You're point?

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2013, 11:56 AM

That's right, everyone has injuries. Was that a running back that YSU was playing at QB? Missing the best QB in the league probably hurt them a bit, too.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 11:57 AM
SIU fans are the ones that start every season talking about injuries and how bad they are.

UNI also beat YSU.....

With a back up QB, a running back that has played LB for 2 years, and everything else...

You're point?

I am point?

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 12:00 PM
That's right, everyone has injuries. Was that a running back that YSU was playing at QB? Missing the best QB in the league probably hurt them a bit, too.

No, that's different.

frozennorth
November 18th, 2013, 12:10 PM

Congratulations on holding NAU to 22 points. Maybe the committee will take it into account.
i don't post on the hitler youth board. I think I lasted a week before getting banned. Something about fire hak fire muss***.

***way before it was cool.

if the world was sane, UND would be saying 'we' about the MVFC as well, but unfortunately the UND is run by idiots.

frozennorth
November 18th, 2013, 12:13 PM

you're the clown trying to take take a shot at MVFC d's by referencing a game where your potential conference runner up scored a whooping 22 points on mighty USD at home.

dbackjon
November 18th, 2013, 12:17 PM
you're the clown trying to take take a shot at MVFC d's by referencing a game where your potential conference runner up scored a whooping 22 points on mighty USD at home.

And?

A win is a win. and looking at USD's results this year, right in line with the rest of the MVFC.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 12:20 PM

yeah but they had 59 more yards of offense

frozennorth
November 18th, 2013, 12:24 PM
And?

A win is a win. and looking at USD's results this year, right in line with the rest of the MVFC.
are you agreeing then that NAU and Montana would be a middle of the pack MVFC teams then?

dbackjon
November 18th, 2013, 12:27 PM
are you agreeing then that NAU and Montana would be a middle of the pack MVFC teams then?

No, there is no evidence to support that. NAU and Montana would be behind NDSU, and pre-injury UNI.

At same level or ahead of next four. Well ahead of rest.

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2013, 12:29 PM
i don't post on the hitler youth board. I think I lasted a week before getting banned. Something about fire hak fire muss***.

***way before it was cool.

if the world was sane, UND would be saying 'we' about the MVFC as well, but unfortunately the UND is run by idiots.

Similar to the Stalinite sanctuary that Tony has created.

F'N Hawks
November 18th, 2013, 12:31 PM
OOC and playoffs tell alot about how good teams really are. We will see coming up in a few weeks.

frozennorth
November 18th, 2013, 12:32 PM
No, there is no evidence to support that. NAU and Montana would be behind NDSU, and pre-injury UNI.

At same level or ahead of next four. Well ahead of rest.
there is alot to support that actually, like that both montana and NAU beat USD about as badly as the pack of the MVFC. Or any of the broader statistical analyses such as massey or sagarin.

frozennorth
November 18th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Similar to the Stalinite sanctuary that Tony has created.

yes because NDSU's most notable alumni and sponsor was a stalinist, much like UND demigod Ralph Englestad was a noted anti-semite and Nazi-Sympathizer. Who is this person again?

WileECoyote06
November 18th, 2013, 01:28 PM

That's pretty naive thinking buddy.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 02:51 PM
And?

Except when its against a decimated UNI team or a bad WIU team. xcoffeex

Grizzlies82
November 18th, 2013, 03:59 PM
We're all speculating at this point. Yet I strongly suspect:
Southern Illinois is already out of the playoff mix. Period.
If SD State loses to Youngstown, a 7-5 SDSU is out. There are just too many 9 and 8 win teams in the mix.
If Youngstown loses to SDSU, then there is a 50/50% chance YSU is out. Losing your final 3 games is often fatal even for an 8-4 team.

McNeeserocket
November 18th, 2013, 04:08 PM
If UNI can win this weekend, they are deserving of consideration. When McNeese and North Dakota State played UNI in the first half of the year they were National Championship quality. They were solid and strong on offense, defense and special teams. They were very desciplined and played assignment football. They were well prepared, and they were coached well.

If they can get some of their players back from injury, then they should be competitive in the playoffs!

Grizzlies82
November 18th, 2013, 04:21 PM
If UNI can win this weekend, they are deserving of consideration. When McNeese and North Dakota State played UNI in the first half of the year they were National Championship quality. They were solid and strong on offense, defense and special teams. They were very desciplined and played assignment football. They were well prepared, and they were coached well. If they can get some of their players back from injury, then they should be competitive in the playoffs!

Agree in part. If UNI wins they deserve to be in the discussion. However, they are not the same team who played ND State tight. They are a team which lost five straight games. Prior to injuries they had a very impressive team. Yet even that team (pre-injury) struggled to put away the Big Sky's last place team (#13) No. Colorado. At this point, any team with five losses will find it hard to overcome that hurdle without massive help around the nation.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 04:27 PM
If UNI can win this weekend, they are deserving of consideration. When McNeese and North Dakota State played UNI in the first half of the year they were National Championship quality. They were solid and strong on offense, defense and special teams. They were very desciplined and played assignment football. They were well prepared, and they were coached well.

If they can get some of their players back from injury, then they should be competitive in the playoffs!

I just don't see how you take the fifth place team over the third and fourth place team who both beat them. If you're going to say that they weren't healthy, then SIU has the argument that if they hadn't lost their two best offensive players they'd have a better record too. Or if YSU's QB wasn't gimpy they wouldn't have lost to UNI on the last play of the game. Why should UNI be the only one who gets special consideration?

clenz
November 18th, 2013, 04:33 PM
How many D1 wins did siu have?

Remember when SIU win the auto bid but UNI got seeded and siu didn't?

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 05:07 PM
How many D1 wins did siu have?

Remember when SIU win the auto bid but UNI got seeded and siu didn't?

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

I'm not arguing that SIU deserves consideration. I'm arguing that UNI doesn't. xcoffeex

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I just don't see how you take the fifth place team over the third and fourth place team who both beat them. If you're going to say that they weren't healthy, then SIU has the argument that if they hadn't lost their two best offensive players they'd have a better record too. Or if YSU's QB wasn't gimpy they wouldn't have lost to UNI on the last play of the game. Why should UNI be the only one who gets special consideration?

Towson thrashed UNH on the final day of the season, then watched New Hampshire make the playoffs while they were sitting at home.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Towson thrashed UNH on the final day of the season, then watched New Hampshire make the playoffs while they were sitting at home.

Goes to the credibility of the selection committee.

If you take an MVC team with 5 conference losses and no losses OOC then your tacitly admitting to the superiority of the conference and the 6th ranked Big Sky doesn't deserve more teams in the playoffs for playing weaker schedules than the much tougher MVC

Grizzlies82
November 18th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Goes to the credibility of the selection committee.

If you take an MVC team with 5 conference losses and no losses OOC then your tacitly admitting to the superiority of the conference and the 6th ranked Big Sky doesn't deserve more teams in the playoffs for playing weaker schedules than the much tougher MVC

My God it is deja vu all over again... just substitute MVC for CAA and it is all hauntingly familiar.................. "Our 7-5 team is tougher than your conference champ because we are us".

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 06:58 PM
My God it is deja vu all over again... just substitute MVC for CAA and it is all hauntingly familiar.................. "Our 7-5 team is tougher than your conference champ because we are us".

xcoffeex I think you'll find, if you read the previous posts, that I said UNI didn't deserve consideration. Maybe the Big Sky only deserves two bids too...

Grizzlies82
November 18th, 2013, 07:03 PM
xcoffeex Maybe the Big Sky only deserves two bids too...

Some years that is correct because of comparatively weaker teams, or more compelling choices elsewhere. Though not this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 18th, 2013, 07:31 PM
NDSU: 11-0

SDSU: 8-4

YSU: 8-4 --maybe they will be left out. Very poor OOC schedule. My guess is they need to beat SDSU to get in.

I think the Valley only get 2 in this year which would suck but there will be too many teams with 8 and 9 wins to take a 7-5 team. Someone needed to step up and win besides NDSU this year in conference.

IMO, if UNI hadn't be hit with so many injuries they would be 9-1 right now and ranked #2 or #3 in the country. But that is football. If SIU had their QB, I think they would be looking at a playoff spot also.

ValleyTalk
November 18th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Under Tressel, Heacock, and Wolford, YSU has been left out almost every single time they have been on the bubble. Losing 3 straight to end the season would be a major risk for YSU. Even if we are the #1 conference in the MVFC, the playoff committee seems to opt for our friends in the CAA over the MVFC. I see the MVFC getting 2 in. I hope to God I am wrong in the event YSU loses, but that is where I think it stands right now.

YSU vs. SDSU should be a dandy Saturday. Every YSU fan is hoping and praying Kurt Hess will be healthy for this one... With our #2 QB definitely out, it will be Hess or the #3 QB Garry.

If SIU had their QB, I think they would be looking at a playoff spot also.
Worth noting that YSU did beat SIU on the road with a healthy Faulkner. That win, and the win at USD, are still some quality wins for YSU, even if USD is sub .500.

skinny_uncle
November 18th, 2013, 08:15 PM
The Big Sky, although the fifth rated conference in the GPI (right behind the OVC), could end up with more bids than any other league? Somehow, that just doesn't seem right.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 18th, 2013, 08:23 PM
The Big Sky, although the fifth rated conference in the GPI (right behind the OVC), could end up with more bids than any other league? Somehow, that just doesn't seem right.

Definitely helps when there are 13 teams and they do not play four other teams each year. BSC has a lot of 'Indiana State' teams this year. But you cannot argue that EWU-Montana-NAU deserve not to be in. Then SUU and Montana State also can make it in.

Look at 2010 in the Valley: 6 teams ended with 4-4 conference records with another at 5-3.

Valley teams definitely beat each other up.

mmiller_34
November 18th, 2013, 08:49 PM
I like the mvfc.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 18th, 2013, 08:57 PM
I like the mvfc.

What happened to the blog after week 2?

xchinscratchx

skinny_uncle
November 18th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Definitely helps when there are 13 teams and they do not play four other teams each year. BSC has a lot of 'Indiana State' teams this year. But you cannot argue that EWU-Montana-NAU deserve not to be in. Then SUU and Montana State also can make it in.

Look at 2010 in the Valley: 6 teams ended with 4-4 conference records with another at 5-3.

Valley teams definitely beat each other up.

Last year, there was a 3-way tie for third at 5-3. Illinois State made the playoffs based on the better overall record.

ValleyTalk
November 18th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Can someone go conference by conference and post all the teams that are vying for at large bids and who they play this week. That way I know who I want to cheer against Saturday, regardless of YSU's outcome.

A link if someone has already done this will work just fine too!

Thanks!

BlueHenSinfonian
November 18th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Can someone go conference by conference and post all the teams that are vying for at large bids and who they play this week. That way I know who I want to cheer against Saturday, regardless of YSU's outcome.

A link if someone has already done this will work just fine too!

Thanks!

There are various versions around, but if you want to boil it down to the games that will eliminate the most potential bubble teams, you should root for:

Montana over Montana State, Richmond over William and Mary, Elon over Samford, Wofford over Furman, NAU over SUU, YSU over SDSU, Lehigh over Lafayette, Liberty over Chuck South, EIU over UT-Martin, SEMO over Jacksonville State, and Villanova over Delaware.

Obviously I'm hoping that last one goes the other way.

Fear the Bird
November 18th, 2013, 09:37 PM
There are various versions around, but if you want to boil it down to the games that will eliminate the most potential bubble teams, you should root for:

Montana over Montana State, Richmond over William and Mary, Elon over Samford, Wofford over Furman, NAU over SUU, YSU over SDSU, Lehigh over Lafayette, Liberty over Chuck South, EIU over UT-Martin, SEMO over Jacksonville State, and Villanova over Delaware.

Obviously I'm hoping that last one goes the other way.

how is that relevant?

Mr. C
November 18th, 2013, 09:42 PM
You heard it here first.
A five-loss team has NEVER received an at-large bid and there are too many three and four loss teams in contention for that to happen now. Coalitions between other conferences to get teams from those leagues in would keep a five-loss team out. Strength of schedule goes only so far.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Under Tressel, Heacock, and Wolford, YSU has been left out almost every single time they have been on the bubble. Losing 3 straight to end the season would be a major risk for YSU. Even if we are the #1 conference in the MVFC, the playoff committee seems to opt for our friends in the CAA over the MVFC. I see the MVFC getting 2 in. I hope to God I am wrong in the event YSU loses, but that is where I think it stands right now.

YSU vs. SDSU should be a dandy Saturday. Every YSU fan is hoping and praying Kurt Hess will be healthy for this one... With our #2 QB definitely out, it will be Hess or the #3 QB Garry.

Worth noting that YSU did beat SIU on the road with a healthy Faulkner. That win, and the win at USD, are still some quality wins for YSU, even if USD is sub .500.
In all honesty, your No. 3 QB was far superior on Saturday and showed a lot more talent than your No. 2 QB. With a week of preparation, Garry should be even better for the SDSU game. The backup QB looked woefully unprepared to play against the Bison. Of course, Hess is a better option if he is able to play and have some mobility. I would have liked to seen what would have happened if a healthy Hess had been able to go the whole way last Saturday. He looked so good on that first drive.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 18th, 2013, 09:52 PM
how is that relevant?

Two reasons - first, if Lafayette wins, they win the PL and it sends a 5-6 Lafayette team into the playoffs, which doesn't seem right. Second, it possibly sets Lehigh up for an at-large bid (though the chances aren't great) that could take one from another team. If Lehigh wins they win the PL and Fordham and Lehigh are the two PL schools, it keeps things simple.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2013, 09:53 PM
NDSU: 11-0

SDSU: 8-4

YSU: 8-4 --maybe they will be left out. Very poor OOC schedule. My guess is they need to beat SDSU to get in.

I think the Valley only get 2 in this year which would suck but there will be too many teams with 8 and 9 wins to take a 7-5 team. Someone needed to step up and win besides NDSU this year in conference.

IMO, if UNI hadn't be hit with so many injuries they would be 9-1 right now and ranked #2 or #3 in the country. But that is football. If SIU had their QB, I think they would be looking at a playoff spot also.
There are several teams that have suffered injury plagues this season and would be in the thick of things if healthy. Villanova and Northern Iowa were both among the top teams in FCS this season before getting decimated. Samford is another team that was clearly a lot better early in the year before injuries started piling up. Those 63 schollies don't go very far when you get guys at certain positions wiped out at this level.

On another note, I would like to see what Princeton could do against the field. The Tigers are pretty incredible on offense and have a defense led by probably the best defensive player in the country, DT Caraun Reid.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Two reasons - first, if Lafayette wins, they win the PL and it sends a 5-6 Lafayette team into the playoffs, which doesn't seem right. Second, it possibly sets Lehigh up for an at-large bid (though the chances aren't great) that could take one from another team. If Lehigh wins they win the PL and Fordham and Lehigh are the two PL schools, it keeps things simple.
I don't see Lehigh getting in with a loss to Lafayette. And Lafayette, talent-wise, would be one of the worst teams in the playoffs in a long time.

Fear the Bird
November 18th, 2013, 09:56 PM

A Lehigh team with losses to Bucknell and Lafayette has no shot at an AL! Can you imagine Citdog if the PL with a 5-6 AQ got 3 teams in?

BlueHenSinfonian
November 18th, 2013, 10:00 PM
A Lehigh team with losses to Bucknell and Lafayette has no shot at an AL! Can you imagine Citdog if the PL with a 5-6 AQ got 3 teams in?

Heh, I didn't say it was likely. I was just trying to eliminate as many teams as possible that could hit the 8 win mark this week, plus clean up the Big South, SoCon, and PL potential autobid messes.

mmiller_34
November 18th, 2013, 10:30 PM
What happened to the blog after week 2?

xchinscratchx

Couldnt find time. Then I got superstitious about SDSU winning or losing if I updated it.

We'll try again next year.

Houndawg
November 18th, 2013, 10:39 PM
A five-loss team has NEVER received an at-large bid and there are too many three and four loss teams in contention for that to happen now. Coalitions between other conferences to get teams from those leagues in would keep a five-loss team out. Strength of schedule goes only so far.

The playoffs have never been this diluted before either so there bound to a couple of teams that make it that somebody will be able to make a strong case against

dudeitsaid
November 18th, 2013, 10:57 PM

This!

ValleyTalk
November 19th, 2013, 06:15 AM
The only way a 7-5 from the MVFC makes it is if we get 4 teams in.... NDSU, YSU, SDSU, and whoever else.

I don't see it happening. 2 seems more likely than 3.

Mr. C
November 19th, 2013, 06:29 AM
The playoffs have never been this diluted before either so there bound to a couple of teams that make it that somebody will be able to make a strong case against
The FCS playoffs are almost as trusty as the Supreme Court through the years in terms of precedent. If you want to know what this committee will do, look at what they have done in the past, even with regards to an expanding playoff field. A lot of the same dynamics are in play. I've been analyzing the committee's moves for some 21 years now and have looked at how they did it even before I covered FCS. My hunch from that experience tells me that there is a high likelihood that South Dakota State and Youngstown State are playing an elimination game on Saturday.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2013, 06:36 AM
The FCS playoffs are almost as trusty as the Supreme Court through the years in terms of precedent. If you want to know what this committee will do, look at what they have done in the past, even with regards to an expanding playoff field. A lot of the same dynamics are in play. I've been analyzing the committee's moves for some 21 years now and have looked at how they did it even before I covered FCS. My hunch from that experience tells me that there is a high likelihood that South Dakota State and Youngstown State are playing an elimination game on Saturday.

Agree with this.

Too many other teams will have 8-9 wins for a 7-5 Valley team to make.

Sadly, even though the MV is a strong conference, they will be only getting 2 teams in IMO.

Mr. C
November 19th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Agree with this.

Too many other teams will have 8-9 wins for a 7-5 Valley team to make.

Sadly, even though the MV is a strong conference, they will be only getting 2 teams in IMO.
The MVFC is a strong conference, but much of the strength of schedule is based on what the Bison have done. After attending Saturday's game, it was pretty clear there is a big divide between NDSU and the rest of the league.

WileECoyote06
November 19th, 2013, 07:27 AM

I thought that too until last year when they left a ten win team from an AQ conference out of the field.

Grizzlies82
November 19th, 2013, 08:21 AM
I thought that too until last year when they left a ten win team from an AQ conference out of the field.

There is some precedent on that too. It has typically depended on which conference that team is from. Not all AQ conferences were treated equally.

Grizzlies82
November 19th, 2013, 08:26 AM

Well stated. I too believe the SD State - Youngstown game is a pre-playoff elimination game. Though it is still possible an 8-4 YSU could still get a bid depending upon how many other bubble teams get beat. Though regardless, losing your final three games is a pretty dependable way to 'punch your ticket' for watching the playoffs from your couch. xeyebrowx

RabidRabbit
November 19th, 2013, 09:30 AM
An 8 D-I win MVFC team has also been selected every time available, so that precedent should get YSU in to the play-offs, even with a loss. Choosing SDSU at 7-5 and a 5th place MVFC is tough to justify. Even tougher, IMHO, is selecting an 8th place (of 10) UNI team and ignoring their losing record in the MVFC.

Just don't see a 7-5 MVFC getting selected as each of the 7-5 teams have some really bad losses vs the lower 1/2 of the MVFC standings. Note that MoSt. will be at worst, tied for 3rd in the MVFC, and there is 0 mention about their play-off potential, because they did very bad in their OOC's.

KUlawJack
November 19th, 2013, 09:41 AM
The MVFC is a strong conference, but much of the strength of schedule is based on what the Bison have done. After attending Saturday's game, it was pretty clear there is a big divide between NDSU and the rest of the league.

And SDSU's win over Southland champ SLU and UNI's pummeling of Southland's second place team McNeese and win over Iowa State. Those don't hurt.

We're not getting a 7-5 team in with so many 8 win teams eligible. Just won't happen.

Houndawg
November 19th, 2013, 09:42 AM
An 8 D-I win MVFC team has also been selected every time available, so that precedent should get YSU in to the play-offs, even with a loss. Choosing SDSU at 7-5 and a 5th place MVFC is tough to justify. Even tougher, IMHO, is selecting an 8th place (of 10) UNI team and ignoring their losing record in the MVFC.

Just don't see a 7-5 MVFC getting selected as each of the 7-5 teams have some really bad losses vs the lower 1/2 of the MVFC standings. Note that MoSt. will be at worst, tied for 3rd in the MVFC, and there is 0 mention about their play-off potential, because they did very bad in their OOC's.

Huh?

jacksfan29
November 19th, 2013, 10:05 AM
there is alot to support that actually, like that both montana and NAU beat USD about as badly as the pack of the MVFC. Or any of the broader statistical analyses such as massey or sagarin.

SDSU 27 USD 12 at their Dome in a rivalry game USD had circled as a must win game for the past decade. Montana came back in the last 2 minutes to beat USD after USD handed them the game by making stupid mistakes. NAU beat USD at home early in the year before USD put in a real QB and ran a real offense.

dbackjon
November 19th, 2013, 10:57 AM

If the playoff committee is serious about rewarding schedule strength, then YSU, if they lose to SDSU, deserves to be the first left out.

An OOC of Dayton, Morehead State and Duquesne, all at home, deserves ridicule.

robsnotes4u
November 19th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Last year, there was a 3-way tie for third at 5-3. Illinois State made the playoffs based on the better overall record.

Is it posted by the committee somewhere why teams were selected or not? If so could you post a link, otherwise it is just speculation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OBC
November 19th, 2013, 01:10 PM
SDSU 27 USD 12 at their Dome in a rivalry game USD had circled as a must win game for the past decade. Montana came back in the last 2 minutes to beat USD after USD handed them the game by making stupid mistakes. NAU beat USD at home early in the year before USD put in a real QB and ran a real offense.

i do think SDSU is a better team than Montana. Montana did have to face a USD team that had at leas one semi-healthy RB for 3 quarters and SDSU played us when our guys were a non factor. If Montana plays SDSU in the playoffs, I would pick them straight up regardless of where the game is played.

I really liked NAU's run defense - tough group, espicially their defensive front. Their RB is a stud - but no more so than Zenner IMO. Bauman has better lateral quickness than Zenner, but Zenner's burst upfield is superior.

The NAU pass defense had some serious holes. Our running QB at the time threw for a ton of yards in the second half against them and he was as bad of a passer as we have had in 20 years.

Houndawg
November 19th, 2013, 01:12 PM
If the playoff committee is serious about rewarding schedule strength, then YSU, if they lose to SDSU, deserves to be the first left out.

I think the committee will reward whatever makes the most money, and then decide what rationale to use.xnodx

Houndawg
November 19th, 2013, 01:14 PM
i do think SDSU is a better team than Montana. Montana did have to face a USD team that had at leas one semi-healthy RB for 3 quarters and SDSU played us when our guys were a non factor. If Montana plays SDSU in the playoffs, I would pick them straight up regardless of where the game is played.

I really liked NAU's run defense - tough group, espicially their defensive front. Their RB is a stud - but no more so than Zenner IMO. Bauman has better lateral quickness than Zenner, but Zenner's burst upfield is superior.

The NAU pass defense had some serious holes. Our running QB at the time threw for a ton of yards in the second half against them and he was as bad of a passer as we have had in 20 years.

UDS/NAU looked pretty even stat wise except for the pick 6.

frozennorth
November 19th, 2013, 01:18 PM
if the committee think ysu will sell tickets, they will be in if they lose to sdsu.

Houndawg
November 19th, 2013, 02:35 PM

As shameful as that is they still have a stronger SOS (157) than NAU (171).xcoffeex

SOS rankings (253 total)

SIU 98_________ Weber 110
ISU 100________ EWU 138
ISU(b) 108______ IdahoSt 146
NDSU 113_______ CalPoly 155
UNI 122_________ SacSt 161
SDSU 126________ SUU 165
WIU 128 _________UNC 169
USD 131 _________ UCD 170
MSU 132_________ NAU 171
YSU 157 __________UND 178
__________________UM 180
_________________PSU 188
__________________MSU 197

clenz
November 19th, 2013, 02:39 PM
So...the lowest MVFC SOS is still top 5 in the Big Sky?

Houndawg
November 19th, 2013, 02:51 PM

yes, and the second lowest MVC SOS would be the second strongest Big Sky SOS. There would be a lot of 7-5 teams in the Big Sky if they played MVC schedules.xcoffeex

F'N Hawks
November 19th, 2013, 03:07 PM
yes, and the second lowest MVC SOS would be the second strongest Big Sky SOS. There would be a lot of 7-5 teams in the Big Sky if they played MVC schedules.xcoffeex

That's great and everything, let's see how the playoffs turn out. When these teams with "tough SOS" get blown out in the playoffs it shows how much that stat really means. The best teams get in, period.

Any team resorting to bragging about their "SOS" when they have a 7-5 record doesn't have much to offer and won't go far anyway.

As I have constantly said, OOC and Playoffs prove alot. Don't lose OOC games in weeks 1-3.

Grizzlies82
November 19th, 2013, 03:16 PM

So how did they do in head to head this year?
NAU & Montana each played and beat South Dakota.
No. Iowa struggled with, then beat, the Big Sky's worst team No. Colorado (their only win was a DII).
Some MVC team probably played No. Dakota, were there other head to head games to compare?

F'N Hawks
November 19th, 2013, 03:20 PM
One area SOS should come into play is a strict head-to-head matchup. Potentially, YSU and Montana State, and Southern Utah could be all be battling for a final at-large with all being 8-4. In that case I would have to guess YSU gets in over MSU/SUU and SUU gets in over MSU, if there is another spot.

F'N Hawks
November 19th, 2013, 03:21 PM
No. Iowa struggled with, then beat, the Big Sky's worst team No. Colorado (their only win was a DII).
Some MVC team probably played No. Dakota, were there other head to head games to compare?

UND lost to SDSU. USD beat Davis.

Houndawg
November 19th, 2013, 03:59 PM

xlolx

Eighth place UNI "struggled with, then beat" UNC, but second and third place NAU and UM didn't "struggle with, then beat" the seventh place 'Yotes?

Only difference in the NAU game was a pick six, and Montana, well let's just say it sure didn't look like the top of the Big Sky vs. the bottom of the MVC....

clenz
November 19th, 2013, 05:35 PM
UNI never really struggled with UNC....FWIW

UNI outgained UNC by over 120 yards. UNI was over 400 and UNC was under 300
UNI pulled the starters in the 4th
UNI ran off tackle right and off tackle left pretty much all game
UNI kicked 6 FGs with 5 from inside 30. There was never a real effort to put the game "away"
A pick 6 was pulled off the board by a "celebration" penalty

Game was never really that close....but oh well.

UNIFanSince1983
November 19th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Montana State only beat UNC by 7.
SUU only beat UNC by 6.
UND only beat UNC by 3.

The only team in the BSC that beat UNC close to as bad as we did was NAU who won 24-7 while we won 26-7.

We held them to their lowest point total of the season which is tied with Wyoming and NAU.

I have a hard time believe we struggled with them and no other team in the BSC did with results like this...

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2013, 05:58 PM
the BSC is 13 teams, 2/3 of which aren't very good. You went for quantity over quality.

Grizalltheway
November 19th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Boy, you know your season's really shot when you resort to bragging about beating UNC. xnodxxeyebrowxxcoffeex

Pant8her
November 19th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Honestly I think an 8-4 MVFC team gets in so if SDSU wins over YSU I would think that both get in. That said YSU will likely bid $$ and get one home game and then be on the road.

Now some have argued that UNI at 7-5 should not get in and I would agree with that. But counter point is: three of the UNI loses were in OT. Given that a tie breaker was not in affect the resultant UNI record would be 7-2-3 provided UNI wins over WIU. Signature games against ranked opponents: 1 point loss to #1 NDSU 23-24, beat #9 McNeese St 41-6, and beat #9 YSU 22-20, additionally beat FBS Iowa State.

Also SIU would have a record 7-5 with a DII win (6-5 DI). SIU played FBS Illinois close 34-42, played #2/3 EIU into 2-OT 37-40, lost to #9 YSU 27-28, beat #20 SDSU, beat (then #11) UNI in OT 24-17.

Conference standings would look like this if ties were not a loss or win...
ISUr 4-4 season over
ISUb 0-8 with loss to SIU or 1-8
MSU 5-3 season over
NDSU 8-0 provided win over USD or 7-1
SDSU 4-3-1 provided win over YSU or 3-4-1
SIU 4-3-1 provided win over ISUb or 3-3-1
UNI 3-2-3 provided win over WIU or 2-3-3
USD 2-4-1 provided loss to NDSU or 3-3-1
WIU 2-6 provided loss to UNI or 3-5
YSU 5-2-1 provided win over SDSU or 4-3-1

I only wonder how this may play into the bids. I seriously doubt the UNI or SIU get in!

UNIFanSince1983
November 19th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Boy, you know your season's really shot when you resort to bragging about beating UNC. xnodxxeyebrowxxcoffeex

Not bragging about it just refuting the fact that we struggled with them. If we struggled then every team in the Big Sky struggled worse since we beat them worse then every other team on the schedule except Wyoming.

And for the record I don't think we will get in nor do I think we deserve to get in. I am pretty sure there will be no 7-5 team in the playoffs.

Mr. C
November 19th, 2013, 06:10 PM
if the committee think ysu will sell tickets, they will be in if they lose to sdsu.
Sorry, but that isn't how the committee works. Do your homework. The bids are not even opened until the pairings are in place.

Mr. C
November 19th, 2013, 06:12 PM

Unfortunately for the Bunnies, we know what has happened the last two times that SDSU has had to travel to Washington-Grizzly Stadium. Remember those Dave Dickenson and Marc Mariani-sparked comebacks?

Mr. C
November 19th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Actually the one previous time when a 10-win team from an auto bid conference had been snubbed, it was the Patriot League (Bucknell back in the 1990s) that was left out.

Bisonator
November 19th, 2013, 06:50 PM
That's great and everything, let's see how the playoffs turn out. When these teams with "tough SOS" get blown out in the playoffs it shows how much that stat really means. The best teams get in, period.

Any team resorting to bragging about their "SOS" when they have a 7-5 record doesn't have much to offer and won't go far anyway.

As I have constantly said, OOC and Playoffs prove alot. Don't lose OOC games in weeks 1-3.

I know a 7-4 team that went to the quarterfinals thru a BSC team and lossed to another BSC team on a questionable call. xsmiley_wix

dudeitsaid
November 19th, 2013, 07:33 PM
I know a 7-4 team that went to the quarterfinals thru a BSC team and lossed to another BSC team on a questionable call. xsmiley_wix

Speaking of that...I sure hope we get a lot of home games this postseason! ;)

Sent from my SPH-M830 using Tapatalk

Bisonator
November 19th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Speaking of that...I sure hope we get a lot of home games this postseason! ;)

xthumbsupx

dudeitsaid
November 19th, 2013, 08:02 PM

Keep in mind, that was the very heartbreak that became the catalyst to NDSU's success. Without that, NDSU wouldn't have the proper rage that propelled them to two (or three) straight NCs. You guys should be thanking Mr. Fette, who I believe I have spotted in an eagle football uniform and pads at each home game!

KUlawJack
November 19th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Unfortunately for the Bunnies, we know what has happened the last two times that SDSU has had to travel to Washington-Grizzly Stadium. Remember those Dave Dickenson and Marc Mariani-sparked comebacks?

Doesnt meant we're not a better team than them this year.

And that isn't to say we are. Bringing up a game that happened 4 years ago has no bearing here.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Keep in mind, that was the very heartbreak that became the catalyst to NDSU's success. Without that, NDSU wouldn't have the proper rage that propelled them to two (or three) straight NCs. You guys should be thanking Mr. Fette, who I believe I have spotted in an eagle football uniform and pads at each home game!

Or that team was full of freshmen and probably just needed a little more seasoning.

Grizzlies82
November 19th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Bringing up a game that happened 4 years ago has no bearing here.

No bearing perhaps, but darn those are fond memories. :)

Bisonoline
November 19th, 2013, 08:59 PM

What are you drinking?

Drblankstare
November 19th, 2013, 10:09 PM
What are you drinking?
Paint thinner